The Official aweSurface Test Track

Comments

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

Yup, but I've had cases of all intensity/exposure sliders being at minimum, still blowing out the entire scene. Probably also a symptom that the materials were not properly set up?

Very true!

Speaking of blowouts. I still can't come to terms with the massive difference on highlights when switching from AshikhminShirley to GGX. My opinion is still that there is some imbalance between reflection and specular when using the default BRDF with the latest release build, atleast with the PT area lightshader.

Which is why there will be big changes in that regard in the coming build. I've basically decide to retune the default (custom) AS ramp again. Now it sits somewhere between GGX and Cook-Torrance. Energy conservation (plus exposure) for diffuse have also been completely revamped.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    wowie said:

Yup, but I've had cases of all intensity/exposure sliders being at minimum, still blowing out the entire scene. Probably also a symptom that the materials were not properly set up?

Very true!

Speaking of blowouts. I still can't come to terms with the massive difference on highlights when switching from AshikhminShirley to GGX. My opinion is still that there is some imbalance between reflection and specular when using the default BRDF with the latest release build, atleast with the PT area lightshader.

Which is why there will be big changes in that regard in the coming build. I've basically decide to retune the default (custom) AS ramp again. Now it sits somewhere between GGX and Cook-Torrance. Energy conservation (plus exposure) for diffuse have also been completely revamped.

Ah that's nice to hear:)

edited May 2020

So I took the light set up from my AlKair scene, the sun emitter, a dual environment with a png, basically a one emitter set. Made the emitter even bigger for a really soft (evening)light. The mountainprop uses the environmental shader with a small amount of bluish ambience, shadows enabled, and is positioned to partly obscure the emitter. Also added a white primitive plane outside the camera for bounce light.

The skin is my take on Vanilla Sky with my default pale skin preset applied. No coat layer.

Sorry about the fireflies, no postwork, should have used 4.7:(

Sky 1 awe.png
    800 x 1029 - 1M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited May 2020

Same set, but turned on occlusion for the mountain and rotated it to obscure some more of the emitter, interesting difference:)

Sky 2 awe.png
    800 x 1029 - 1M
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Generally, while I agree that one large emitter lighting up an environment is the most efficient way, it certainly isn't the most exciting light.

It's not; nobody's saying it is. It's all utility.

You won't be taking an artistic photo using a beauty blogger lighting rig, will you? It's all uniform, flat, in-your-face setup. But that unflattering rig works for minute detail control when applying makeup. And when you're done, you can move into the photo room and go on and create shape and contrast via well-aimed keylight, bounce cards etc.

Everything has a purpose.

Btw. I hesitate to use the word lookdev, makes it sound like you actually know what you are doinglaugh

As compared to a lot of guys out there in the DSverse, you do.

mindsong said:

This is such an obvious idea, and, I suppose not-so-obvious when one has been taught (by experience or 'logic') that context lighting must be context-specific.

I think this one post changes the way I 'see' my lighting, even though it probably means I toss a good amount of 'experience' to benefit from this approach.

Thanks (i think) for that post. My gears are going to grind on that one.

You're welcome.

Context is one thing; a model in a vacuum is another. It's all from the real world crafts: when you are making something, you use dedicated lighting so as to see what you're doing. And a different light setup to photograph the finished item in the best way.

Replaced with plane, and it's a little quicker, but not a lot quicker - There's no way to get an efficient workflow with scripted render while I need to use the standalone 3delight  engine, due to the bugs in the DS 3Delight interface, and Daz bundled 3Delight on Wine is only usable with images sizewise less or around 1000.

Attached are two tests, (left has sphere lights, right, large one poly plane). I quite like how the glass looks in the left, but I sort of like the translucence in the glass of the right.

I did try a scene with just the glass walls (sort of clean-room idea), but Dome light all around was over powering and Awe spots/planes on their own was insuficient.

I don't think I'm going to get better on stained glass without building in a matching opacque lead layer.

Bouncing to RIB every time does eat at efficiency. But... You don't really need to test-render at hi-res though, do you? As-is, these renders seem to imply you're setting up your candlelit scene ambience (the final, artistic part), not the wall/glass/whatever materials. They're all in twilight basically. And far away from the camera.

If you used bright direct light and focused the camera so as to fill the view with like a 10x10 inch wall fragment, you could quickly iterate via under 1000 px renders. Just need to figure out where the different materials are in the room and concentrate on a sample patch of each at a time. Then you could copy and paste the results to wherever the same materials pop up.

Again, it's all the same as IRL. We choose paint, wallpaper, stucco, whatever, under controlled lights that help us see colour shades and textures. And then we select light fixtures to get the atmosphere we want.

...and lighting for living is vastly different than lighting for photos!

// signed: Kettu, the renovation demon

edited May 2020

Played around with the polyshape settings on the emitter, placed it in front of the mountains and turned on camera visibility. Sorry just a quick progressive one...

Sky 3 awe.png
    800 x 1029 - 1M

...and The Great Educatorcool

• GafftheHorseGafftheHorse Posts: 567

Replaced with plane, and it's a little quicker, but not a lot quicker - There's no way to get an efficient workflow with scripted render while I need to use the standalone 3delight  engine, due to the bugs in the DS 3Delight interface, and Daz bundled 3Delight on Wine is only usable with images sizewise less or around 1000.

Attached are two tests, (left has sphere lights, right, large one poly plane). I quite like how the glass looks in the left, but I sort of like the translucence in the glass of the right.

I did try a scene with just the glass walls (sort of clean-room idea), but Dome light all around was over powering and Awe spots/planes on their own was insuficient.

I don't think I'm going to get better on stained glass without building in a matching opacque lead layer.

Bouncing to RIB every time does eat at efficiency. But... You don't really need to test-render at hi-res though, do you? As-is, these renders seem to imply you're setting up your candlelit scene ambience (the final, artistic part), not the wall/glass/whatever materials. They're all in twilight basically. And far away from the camera.

If you used bright direct light and focused the camera so as to fill the view with like a 10x10 inch wall fragment, you could quickly iterate via under 1000 px renders. Just need to figure out where the different materials are in the room and concentrate on a sample patch of each at a time. Then you could copy and paste the results to wherever the same materials pop up.

Again, it's all the same as IRL. We choose paint, wallpaper, stucco, whatever, under controlled lights that help us see colour shades and textures. And then we select light fixtures to get the atmosphere we want.

...and lighting for living is vastly different than lighting for photos!

True

I sometimes run scripted render from Ds, for quick tests at about 900x900 size - as long as progressive is on, it's not too slow, maybe a third longer to render than standalone.

As is, the glass I started fiddling with while reshading the Gypsy caravans to save as an AWE sorted scene-subset - most have stained glass type windows, and I thought I had the glass sort of right across all material sets for both until I tried the same saved shader settings on the Ballroom glass and found them wanting on a larger canvas (or rather, window).

World_travels_6.png
    900 x 720 - 1M
    TravellersJoy_awe_6.png
    900 x 720 - 1M
    wrangler_awe_2_back.png
    900 x 720 - 1M
    edited May 2020

Ok I have to rant some...not awe related though. It's unbelievable how many sets I own that come with so called 3DL presets, meaning the vendor made a couple of sloppy diffuse textures with baked in AO, plopped them into the diffuse color slot of the Dz default shader, plopped the same textures into bump strength, set bump- and diffuse strength to 100 and called it a day.

Blaming nobody but myself though, I thought I always CAREFULLY read the description when considering buying something, will have to step up my game some more, obviously.

Sento awe.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    edited May 2020

Houston, looks like we have some problems!

I spent hours and hours trying to make a wet beach with a smooth reflective gradient but no cigar, so made this simple test: A plane with no diffuse, just a black to white gradient in the metalness slot, works as expected. Same map also in the specular strength slot, not so much. What's going on here?

Lighting: one light emitter for the specular highlight and the environment with a png image.

Metalness:

Metalness and specular strength:

Only specular strength, no metalness:

Roughness works as expected:

The coat layer doesn't seem to accept gradients, just like the regular specular lobes. Base thinfilm thickness seems to totally ignore any kind of map.

METALLNESS GRADIENT.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    METALLNESS+SPEC STRENGTH GRADIENT.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    only SPEC STRENGTH GRADIENT.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    ROUGHNESS GRADIENT.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    edited May 2020

Found a nice way to utilize those PBR AO mapsenlightened. Works well for coat thickness when inverted, with a dark coat color. Coat thickness 1.3, used a bit of rough coat reflection with a roughness map. Makes it more gritty.

Btw, I used displacement here on a 1 poly plane, amazing how 3DL handles microdisplacement;)

Coat AO test awe.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Coat AO test awe.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    edited May 2020

Re render at double size and samples, nonprogressive, still just one emitter and a diffuse plane, no postwork...

Sky4 awe.png
    1600 x 1817 - 2M

Back to the Gypsy content - Interiors

Romany Charms

V4 in Gypsy Love outfit is Sv7 Jenny skin with Vanilla Skye in coat - same config as last as loaded from skin preset - funny how she looks more dusky here - not at all intentional, but she looks so suitable I left her as is.

gypsy_interior-RomanyCharm.png
    1100 x 880 - 1M
    edited May 2020

Wondering and pondering how to make the hands and fingers rougher. Can math be trusted? I use a roughness map on the face, based on a white main layer with darker areas being less rough. Would it work to start from a mid gray layer, paint lighter areas on the hands, and double the roughness slider value?

ZOLA TESTRIG.png
    800 x 950 - 820K
    ZOLA2 TESTRIG.png
    800 x 950 - 1000K

Back to the Gypsy content - Interiors

Romany Charms

V4 in Gypsy Love outfit is Sv7 Jenny skin with Vanilla Skye in coat - same config as last as loaded from skin preset - funny how she looks more dusky here - not at all intentional, but she looks so suitable I left her as is.

Wow nice!

edited May 2020

Would it work to start from a mid gray layer, paint lighter areas on the hands, and double the roughness slider value?

Ok had to find out, and seems to work. Left mirror with 15% roughness, right with 30% and a mid gray roughness map.

rough test.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    edited May 2020

The coat layer doesn't seem to accept gradients, just like the regular specular lobes. Base thinfilm thickness seems to totally ignore any kind of map.

Seems like I've already fixed those.

Thin film thickness

Coat Thickness.

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if there's anything else.

thin film thickness.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 188K
    coat thickness.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 191K
    Post edited by wowie on

Re render at double size and samples, nonprogressive, still just one emitter and a diffuse plane, no postwork...

I like this, looks like a nice bit of atmospherics.

Romany Charms - incabin - I keep finding surfaces I either missed conversion on or need face-forward on

- Thought I'd saved a great milcat preset, so merged it in and immediately went for a large render, but the kitty looked like a porcelain figurine coated in saliva.

- Still not satisfied with the skirt - always seem to be battling a wet leather result in cloth conversion

- Tried to adapt the mirror settings for iray to awe (reflective and coat) for the hand mirror.

Gypsy_Romany-Charms_awe.png
    1800 x 1800 - 5M
    wowie said:

Seems like I've already fixed those.

Thin film thickness

Coat Thickness.

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if there's anything else.

Ah ok, tks, and you're welcome;)Actually I have another random thing...did you ever consider implementing opacity color? Maybe a nice hack for oldschool colored glass and such?

edited May 2020

Yes it's a nice cheat, while waiting for aweVolumedevil

Romany Charms - incabin - I keep finding surfaces I either missed conversion on or need face-forward on

Happens:) Sometimes it's easiest to just select all, apply aweSurface and go from there...

- Thought I'd saved a great milcat preset, so merged it in and immediately went for a large render, but the kitty looked like a porcelain figurine coated in saliva.

Really? I thought you did a great job here. Nothing of course beats strandbased/Garibaldi hair.

- Still not satisfied with the skirt - always seem to be battling a wet leather result in cloth conversion

That may also be due to the lighting, if you use spots and such? What I do is play with spec roughness, glossy fresnel roughness, and bump/displacement strength, too little will make highlights more distinct, too much will possibly cause more noise and other artefacts. Also diffuse roughness. Silk obviously needs more than leather.

- Tried to adapt the mirror settings for iray to awe (reflective and coat) for the hand mirror.

Actually, just apply the chrome preset, turn off diffuse or use a small number, set reflective roughness to 0%. Strength to 100 and no anisotropy. Adjust the reflection color to almost pure white. For a colored mirror effect tint the reflection color a tad. That's the easy part, the tricky one is to get the optimal angle:))

Well done, I like that:)

ETA: Couldn't help myself...if you'd use AweHair you could just delete all (hairrelated) diffuse textures and get rid of those baked in highlight. This I find SO useful when attempting to salvage those old hairmodels. I also got myself a nice pack of hair tiled textures from Sickelyield, best buy ever. Numerous grayscale and normalmaps, so basically I just use the original opacity map(s) and replace or delete everything else. Big thanks to Kettu and wowie who patiently pointed this out to me:))

edited May 2020

Yes it's a nice cheat, while waiting for aweVolumedevil

Happens:) Sometimes it's easiest to just select all, apply aweSurface and go from there...

I do - maybe it's the folded tree, but it seems to miss surfaces.

Really? I thought you did a great job here. Nothing of course beats strandbased/Garibaldi hair.

Ah, it was only a matter of dialling down specular 2 a good bit, applying glass to the eye surface and changing IOT to 1.33. But I was sure I saved the finished preset from the Maddie Labyrinth image.

Of course, but I've not gotten around too doing too much in the various hair systems - I found strand based dificult to map, and lamh a little unpredictable - using DestinysGarden Fur flocking bumpmap/displacement on the catfur here, minimal messing about with the stretch pose, and I think I got away without having to do any dforming on the duvet.

That may also be due to the lighting, if you use spots and such? What I do is play with spec roughness, glossy fresnel roughness, and bump/displacement strength, too little will make highlights more distinct, too much will possibly cause more noise and other artefacts. Also diffuse roughness. Silk obviously needs more than leather.

shader conversion 3DL to Iray and 3DL to awe seems to result in maxxed out specular - usually, dropping those is enough - I'll try a little dickering with diffuse roughness.

Actually, just apply the chrome preset, turn off diffuse or use a small number, set reflective roughness to 0%. Strength to 100 and no anisotropy. Adjust the reflection color to almost pure white. For a colored mirror effect tint the reflection color a tad. That's the easy part, the tricky one is to get the optimal angle:))

Well done, I like that:)

ETA: Couldn't help myself...if you'd use AweHair you could just delete all (hairrelated) diffuse textures and get rid of those baked in highlight. This I find SO useful when attempting to salvage those old hairmodels. I also got myself a nice pack of hair tiled textures from Sickelyield, best buy ever. Numerous grayscale and normalmaps, so basically I just use the original opacity map(s) and replace or delete everything else. Big thanks to Kettu and wowie who patiently pointed this out to me:))

Sounds interesting - I've been using Awe Base Hair preset 2 almost exclusively - increase diffuse strength, spec 1 at 13% 18% and spec 2 at 14% 24%

Just updated Awe from Wowies repo (well, ones I downloaded a month or two ago and have been sitting in downloads folder since.

Not sure Awe Hair is a single preset with no icon file?

I'm getting weird results she's supposed to be a brunette...

awehair.png
    678 x 960 - 811K
    Post edited by GafftheHorse on
    edited May 2020

Yes you apply AWE Hair, delete the diffuse textures (or keep them), and fiddle with hair color hair color intensity, (try setting color to mid gray and intensity to 50), add melanine or red melanine.

ETA: Just bear in mind that this is what wowie calls a preview, I've seen him mentioning all kinds of improvements over the last few pages:) I'm also positive that wowie has reworked the new aweSurface build significantly, we'll just have to wait and see.

Sounds interesting - I've been using Awe Base Hair preset 2 almost exclusively - increase diffuse strength, spec 1 at 13% 18% and spec 2 at 14% 24%

Just updated Awe from Wowies repo (well, ones I downloaded a month or two ago and have been sitting in downloads folder since.

AWE Hair is a different shader. I don't think I've made presets for it.

The default melanin/red melanin values will give you blond hair. For brunette, raise the melanin value. A combo of higher melanin/red melanin values will produce a reddish color. For dark/brown/black hair, just dial back on the hair color strength.

Admittedly, the shader is a work in progress.

wowie said:

The default melanin/red melanin values will give you blond hair. For brunette, raise the melanin value. A combo of higher melanin/red melanin values will produce a reddish color. For dark/brown/black hair, just dial back on the hair color strength.

Cheers for that Wowie

I'd already fiddled around and managed to get dark hair - minimised the speculars, dialed up the melanin, droped the strength a touch...

Svens couple of references to an 'intensity' value misled me a little surprise.

I did pose the shader a bit of a challenge - wildbraids hair always gives me grief. Still is, that hairline looks detached, like she's in a wig....

awehair.png
    678 x 678 - 626K
    edited May 2020
    wowie said:

Cheers for that Wowie

I'd already fiddled around and managed to get dark hair - minimised the speculars, dialed up the melanin, droped the strength a touch...

Really sorry, wasn't at my DS computer at the time.

I did pose the shader a bit of a challenge - wildbraids hair always gives me grief. Still is, that hairline looks detached, like she's in a wig....

You sure the cap is visible, or did you lose the opacitymap?

And to reduce grain you need to dial up aweHair irradiance samples to 512 or 1024, and preferrably use nonprogressive mode;)

Well it looks odd, don't have that hair so hope you sort it out.

wowie said:

Cheers for that Wowie

Really sorry, wasn't at my DS computer at the time.

S,OK. Just confused me a little - went searching for a field with 'intensity' in, but there wasn't one. Figured it was probabaly misremembered, weren't on DS or running a render.

It only has two surfaces, the hair and the tail bit beyond the beads at the end of the two braids. It has two transmaps, a thick one for the hair and a thin one for the tail. It's an old hair.

And to reduce grain you need to dial up aweHair irradiance samples to 512 or 1024, and preferrably use nonprogressive mode;)

I almost never use nonprogressive - it's three quarters slower, even on the standalone engine, for (usually) a very tiny quality difference.

I'd be surprised if there weren't a few problems with it, it's my first time using the shader preset.

It only has two surfaces, the hair and the tail bit beyond the beads at the end of the two braids. It has two transmaps, a thick one for the hair and a thin one for the tail. It's an old hair.

I almost never use nonprogressive - it's three quarters slower, even on the standalone engine, for (usually) a very tiny quality difference.

I'd be surprised if there weren't a few problems with it, it's my first time using the shader preset.

Maybe use a cap from some other hair would work? Btw, AweHair likes SubD, can produce black blotches at base resolution.

edited May 2020

Maybe use a cap from some other hair would work? Btw, AweHair likes SubD, can produce black blotches at base resolution.

yesI usually subd figures and major clothing items - and usually hair - might have forgotten this time.

Cleared scene since though - I'll come back to it in a little while.

Working on a bedraggled kitty at the mo

tongue-kitty.png
    800 x 800 - 911K
    Post edited by GafftheHorse on