The Official aweSurface Test Track

Comments

• GafftheHorseGafftheHorse Posts: 567
    edited October 2020

MostDigitalCreations Shanti.

Really needs more colour balancing on her skin, still too much orange.

The value to tweak are saturation (color intensity) or hue (color). If you're seeing too strong (glowing) SSS, tone down the saturation. If you want a different shade of color, adjust the hue.

Skin : Saturation Value at -0.89, Base/Difuse Saturation at -0.18.

awe_shanti.jpg
    700 x 700 - 208K
    Post edited by GafftheHorse on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2020

nm

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited October 2020

Took the Genesis Troll for a test ride...

G1 troll awe.png
    1200 x 831 - 1M
    G1 troll2 awe.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    edited October 2020

Took the Genesis Troll for a test ride...

Someone is sticking to the facemask message.

Really needs more colour balancing

The value to tweak are saturation (color intensity) or hue (color). If you're seeing too strong (glowing) SSS, tone down the saturation. If you want a different shade of color, adjust the hue.

Saturation Value at -0.89, Base/Difuse Saturation at -0.18.

So what are you trying to do? Is the first saturation value the environment? I think that will only desaturate the environment light.

I'm trying to darken her skin to the original tone.

I've no idea. I don't think so. I don't exactly know what the difference is between Saturation and Base/Diffuse Saturation, but from experimentation, seems both are needed, I've practically maxxed out the first into the minus (-1.0) in the last image, but move both too much into the minus and her skin starts shifting toward too pale.

Maybe I'm getting it all wrong but I think wowie was talking about the SS absorption color. With the color picker choose a less saturated color to desaturate the SSS. (If that's what you want)

Yep, but it sounds like there should be two values 'saturation (color intensity) or hue (color)' and I'm not sure of the effect of the unexpected two saturation values.

Edit: Desaturating the diffuse color will obviously have an impact on the SSS color also, since the resulting values will be fed into SSS.

Well, maybe it'll make more sense in the morning, it's half three here now, and these renders are taking an hour each.

Final of the evening, Saturation value -0.70, base diffuse -0.66, darkened subsurface absorption a little more again.

awe_shanti_2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 206K

So what are you trying to do? Is the first saturation value the environment? I think that will only desaturate the environment light.

I've no idea. I don't think so. I don't exactly know what the difference is between Saturation and Base/Diffuse Saturation, but from experimentation, seems both are needed, I've practically maxxed out the first into the minus (-1.0) in the last image, but move both too much into the minus and her skin starts shifting toward too pale.

Maybe I'm getting it all wrong but I think wowie was talking about the SS absorption color. With the color picker choose a less saturated color to desaturate the SSS. (If that's what you want)

Yep, but it sounds like there should be two values 'saturation (color intensity) or hue (color)' and I'm not sure of the effect of the unexpected two saturation values.

Edit: Desaturating the diffuse color will obviously have an impact on the SSS color also, since the resulting values will be fed into SSS.

Well, maybe it'll make more sense in the morning, it's half three here now, and these renders are taking an hour each.

Final of the evening, Saturation value -0.70, base diffuse -0.66, darkened subsurface absorption a little more again.

Ah I think I get what you mean finally, the saturation in the surface mask section? I tried to use it but it had absolutely no effect, neither with global or override. It certainly doesn't work as with the previous build, I was able to set it to override and achieve a black and white surface, but for now it remains a mystery:) Anyway, I like the new skin better, has a nice olive touch.

This was briefly discussed in p 49, if I understand it correctly with saturation set to global it is offset from the environment saturation, with override it is ignoring the environment settings. But the fact remains, it doesn't do anything AFAIK, temperature works as expected.

wowie said:
    @wowie

I wanted to desaturate the skin surfaces a bit, so switched from global to override but nothing happens, is there another secret toggle hidden somewhere? blush I just fiddled with diffuse/SS settings instead, and managed to tone them down a bit.

There's actually two ways to tweak saturation for a surface. You can use the options in the 'Options - Mask - Color Correct Inputs' section which will work for the inputs. Using the 'Saturation Value' in the 'Options - Lighting'will work on the output or the surface plus lighting. When 'Global' is used, ithe value you use will be use as an offset. If you choose override, it will the absolute value and doesn't take into account the value you set via the AWE Environment Light.

For what you want to do, using the settings in the 'Mask Section' is probably best.

•  

Ah I think I get what you mean finally, the saturation in the surface mask section? I tried to use it but it had absolutely no effect, neither with global or override. It certainly doesn't work as with the previous build, I was able to set it to override and achieve a black and white surface, but for now it remains a mystery:)

You have to set Colour Correct Inputs to on, otherwise they do nothing, made that mistake myself a few times, much like turning on opacity, it's easy to forget to do.

Anyway, I like the new skin better, has a nice olive touch.

It is quite a nice tone, but not the one I had in mind - Kind of holding out for sort of Monique 7 tone, not a lighter tone.

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

The saturation in the Options - Mask  section works on the inputs. Saturation in the Options - Lighting works on the rendered output. This one takes into account what you set in the surface and in AWE Environment Light.

Sorry if it isn't clear. Saturation affects color intensity. If you want a darker tone, use the gamma control. Unlike diffuse strength which works pretty much like gain, gamma is a curve so a value of pure white (255,255,255) is retained whatever gamma value you choose. The idea is that retain the color, but change its intensity (saturation) and brightness (gamma).

What does it look like with just diffuse? It could just be too strong SSS.

edited October 2020
    wowie said:

The saturation in the Options - Mask  section works on the inputs. Saturation in the Options - Lighting works on the rendered output. This one takes into account what you set in the surface and in AWE Environment Light.

So, is there a difference in 'Saturation Value' and 'Base / Diffuse Saturation'? Should I be using one over the other or both?

wowie said:

Sorry if it isn't clear. Saturation affects color intensity. If you want a darker tone, use the gamma control. Unlike diffuse strength which works pretty much like gain, gamma is a curve so a value of pure white (255,255,255) is retained whatever gamma value you choose. The idea is that retain the color, but change its intensity (saturation) and brightness (gamma).

This is base / diffuse gamma 'field'? It's at 1.0. I take it i lower that for a tone change darker (as general Gamma increases scene light and fades shadows a little).

wowie said:

What does it look like with just diffuse? It could just be too strong SSS.

'Just diffuse', is that to mean edits to t the diffuse colour (such as darkening from white into slight grey)?

I've gotten so far with the Gen-4 preset, with adjustments to Specular 2, the Color Correction input on, Saturation and Base Diffuce Saturation to -0.66 (odd, varying on lips, etc.) darkening subsurface absorption.

awe_shanti_3.jpg
    700 x 700 - 207K
    edited October 2020

Just to be absolutely clear, this control does nothing, not with global, not with override, not with color correct inputs on. The temperature on the other hand does exactly wht it's supposed to.

saturation.png
    280 x 660 - 69K

So, is there a difference in 'Saturation Value' and 'Base / Diffuse Saturation'? Should I be using one over the other or both?

Yes. As noted.

This is base / diffuse gamma 'field'? It's at 1.0. I take it i lower that for a tone change darker (as general Gamma increases scene light and fades shadows a little).

Pretty much. As long as its not 0.

'Just diffuse', is that to mean edits to t the diffuse colour (such as darkening from white into slight grey)?

I meant diffuse only without SSS. I think you can also dial down the SSS strength to 50% to get something to what you want.

I did notice a bug with negative saturation though. At -1, it should be purely black and white. It works for specular, but not for diffuse.

edited October 2020

Converted the DSLR Camera by AoA. Nice detailed model, and thankfully the display is one poly so making it emissive doesn't cost much:) Quick progressive testrender:

DSLR Camera awe.png
    1200 x 771 - 937K
    edited October 2020

Wowie I just have to say this! Having so much fun with your updated shaders:) It may look more complex, but infact setting up scenes is much quicker now, very little need to hunt down oddities, the double shading is awesome, and if you need them, the powerful tools are right there at your fingertips:)) If you only would include a "make art" button in your next buildcheeky

• Ok, Gamma to 0.55 does it, or close enough.

Also increased bump and raised specular 2 back up a little.

Thanks guys.

awe_shanti_4.jpg
    700 x 700 - 205K

Ok, Gamma to 0.55 does it, or close enough.

Thanks guys.

Nice! And tks for raising the question, learned a few new tricks;)

edited October 2020

Still fiddling with AWE Hair on Garibaldi, think I'm slowly getting there. Need to edit some things inside the GB editor but otherwise pretty happy with the shader settings. Lighting is just the camera screen and a jpeg from an old poser dome, yeah it has compression artefacts, will have to go. Still amazed that the environment light is producing this kind of result with an 8 bit jpeg, I was using the camerabased exposure and I like it more and more:) Oh the teeth and sclera need looking into some more...

Used pretty high quality settings...2048 Irradiance-, 256 SSS-, and 512 hairsamples, nonprogressive 10x10 ps render, 2 hours:

DSLR Camera2 awe.png
    1600 x 1029 - 2M
    edited October 2020

Converted https://www.daz3d.com/interiors-the-center and made a testrender using a sun emitter and...yet again...a jpeg in the environment. Tried to speed up rendering by reducing diffuse-, reflection- and refraction depth, used 1024 Irradiance samples, nonprogressive rendering, still took 1h 50min and a bit too noisy for my taste. No transmission on the glass, only opacity. Will tweak some surfaces and lighting a bit and post a (hopefully) better version later on.

The Center awe.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M

Thanks guys.

Actually, Gamma .55, while looked good on the face, the body gets darker the further down like progressive carbonisation. Hips and legs set instead to Gamma .70 matches the upper body at .55, as long as the uv join torso to hips is hidden. I had to increase the gamma again in the end to avoid this problem.

Would this be the effect of the gamma curve?

Moving on, 3DCelebritys V4 Francesca, on Genesis. Only edit, reducing diffuse saturation and specular 2 strength.

awe_Francesca.jpg
    900 x 1273 - 299K
    edited October 2020

Thanks guys.

Actually, Gamma .55, while looked good on the face, the body gets darker the further down like progressive carbonisation. Hips and legs set instead to Gamma .70 matches the upper body at .55, as long as the uv join torso to hips is hidden. I had to increase the gamma again in the end to avoid this problem.

Short answer: No:) You should definitely use the same gamma settings for every skin texture to avoid visible seams. Is this a problem only after you change the gamma settings? Have you tried resetting the gamma and simply decreasing diffuse strength?

Moving on, 3DCelebritys V4 Francesca, on Genesis. Only edit, reducing diffuse saturation and specular 2 strength.

Nice pale skin tone there;)

Hmm I own that skin, IIRC I used it on my "matriarch" character. Will need to update that preset now;)

Thanks guys.

Short answer: No:) You should definitely use the same gamma settings for every skin texture to avoid visible seams.

I knew that.

Is this a problem only after you change the gamma settings? Have you tried resetting the gamma and simply decreasing diffuse strength?

If I reduce the gamma by less it's less of a problem. The only need I've had for gamma edits so far is dark skins, and I've not tried any dark skins newer than V4.

Previous skin presets uniformy set diffuse strength to 50%, this was to much. I'll look into it next black skin I'm converting.

Could be paler

Color correct inputs : on and reducing diffuse saturation to -.66 (-.56 - -.88 I find is generlly the range needed). Leave the eye sockets a little higher value for a watery eye look.

edited October 2020

Thanks guys.

Short answer: No:) You should definitely use the same gamma settings for every skin texture to avoid visible seams.

I knew that.

I knowsmiley

Is this a problem only after you change the gamma settings? Have you tried resetting the gamma and simply decreasing diffuse strength?

If I reduce the gamma by less it's less of a problem.

Yeah I think the diffuse textures are just badly lit or something...

Could be paler

Color correct inputs : on and reducing diffuse saturation to -.66 (-.56 - -.88 I find is generlly the range needed). Leave the eye sockets a little higher value for a watery eye look.

Just a tip (actually a reminder) that you probably also know: When setting up the skin or environment, make sure you have set the environment light to neutral...temp at 6500K, zero out saturation, dodge and burn. (I think they are zeroed if saturation is zeroed but not 100% sure.) I'm not sure why wowie made those values default, personally I like to start from 0 and go from there. I've already set up an environment and then noticed I had some of those new features active and lost a bit of time (and nerves) trying to figure out what's happening here haha.

• Just a tip (actually a reminder) that you probably also know: When setting up the skin or environment, make sure you have set the environment light to neutral...temp at 6500K, zero out saturation, dodge and burn. (I think they are zeroed if saturation is zeroed but not 100% sure.) I'm not sure why wowie made those values default, personally I like to start from 0 and go from there. I've already set up an environment and then noticed I had some of those new features active and lost a bit of time (and nerves) trying to figure out what's happening here haha.

The temp never occured to me. As I've been using the environmental sphere from the default scene or creating a prim sphere and loading an HDRI-Haven HDRI in, so think the temp was the default anyway.

I'm sure there's a good reason for the skin preset values, but so far, almost every skin material I've converted needs less saturation and at least a little specular reduction.

Although, the troll was fine as is.

awe_date.jpg
    900 x 1273 - 438K

I'm sure there's a good reason for the skin preset values, but so far, almost every skin material I've converted needs less saturation and at least a little specular reduction.

I find that many Gen4 textures are oversaturated in DS, even when using the standard 3DL shaders, so probably calibrated for the Poser renderers.

Good job on that outfityes

•  

I find that many Gen4 textures are oversaturated in DS, even when using the standard 3DL shaders, so probably calibrated for the Poser renderers.

There are a couple to which I'd agree. Mostly, though, I've found it's skins that look the opposite, and come out looking grey/green. The only Gen-4 skin which was fine as is, so far, was Syyd Ravens Vanilla Skye, the uber preset.

Good job on that outfityes

A rather slipshod conversion, dialectric cloth applied to everything apart from the metals, and gold applied to the metal.

awe_jadestatue.jpg
    900 x 1273 - 248K
    edited October 2020

I made some tweaks to the subsurface on an updated build. It should produce less saturation with SSS enabled. The update is live on my Google drive. It also should support retaining normal maps.

Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

I made some tweaks to the subsurface on an updated build. It should produce less saturation with SSS enabled. The update is live on my Google drive. It also should support retaining normal maps.

Thank you so much! Will check it out ASAP;)

• wowie said:

yes updated

Here's Sabbys Cortney using the update - gen4 preset with no tweaks.

cortney_awe.jpg
    799 x 1131 - 134K
    edited October 2020

...right, took me all yesterday to convert and set up "After the War" by Stonemason, rendered at 10x10PS and 2048 Irradiance samples, 3h which is kind of amazing considering I tried to keep lighting simple but failed miserably:)) The visible to camera backdrop is an HDRI, same image converted to png provides the actual GI and an arealight plane provides the direct light. On top of that I couldn't find a setting for the two headlight areaplanes that looked convincing so added two DS spots with physical falloff and intensity scale at 100000laugh. But that's not all. I duplicated the spots, used the originals for diffuse light and the dups for specular light with 50% strength. And today I spent 3h trying to get AWE Hair (Garibaldi) to work with the spots but no cigar so had to use aweSurface, + spotrendering some surfaces I didn't get right or simply missed. I think I have most of it covered now lol. Still concider it a WIP though...no postwork except for the headlight flares:

After the War 1 awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    wowie said:

yes updated

Interesting, I'll do an out of the box testrender of some character before updating, just to see the difference:)

• wowie said:

yes updated

...right, took me all yesterday to convert and set up "After the War" by Stonemason, rendered at 10x10PS and 2048 Irradiance samples, 3h which is kind of amazing considering I tried to keep lighting simple but failed miserably:)) The visible to camera backdrop is an HDRI, same image converted to png provides the actual GI and an arealight plane provides the direct light. On top of that I couldn't find a setting for the two headlight areaplanes that looked convincing so added two DS spots with physical falloff and intensity scale at 100000laugh. But that's not all. I duplicated the spots, used the originals for diffuse light and the dups for specular light with 50% strength. And today I spent 3h trying to get AWE Hair (Garibaldi) to work with the spots but no cigar so had to use aweSurface, + spotrendering some surfaces I didn't get right or simply missed. I think I have most of it covered now lol. Still concider it a WIP though...no postwork except for the headlight flares:

Wow!! Nice.

Interesting, I'll do an out of the box testrender of some character before updating, just to see the difference:)

Darn, I should have done a before after. Maybe I'll redo the Syyd Raven Vanilla Skye skin, I think I did a test of that earlier with no tweaks.