The Official aweSurface Test Track

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2020

So here's before the latest update. Stephanie 5 with (new to me) Snood hair. No adjustments to skin diffuse/SS color or gamma, only minor tweaks to specular and bump strength + added a specular roughness map to the face. Well tweaked the eye surfaces and added SS. The environment is zeroed out and I'm using only an HDRI with no adjustments. Regarding that hair, I immediately ditched the diffusemaps and replaced the bump/displacement maps with some hair shader tiles by Destiny's Garden. Still needs some tweaking though.

Stephanie with Snood hair awe 1.png
    1200 x 831 - 1M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • So here's before the latest update. Stephanie 5 with (new to me) Snood hair. No adjustments to skin diffuse/SS color or gamma, only minor tweaks to specular and bump strength + added a specular roughness map to the face. Well tweaked the eye surfaces and added SS. The environment is zeroed out and I'm using only an HDRI with no adjustments. Regarding that hair, I immediately ditched the diffusemaps and replaced the bump/displacement maps with some hair shader tiles by Destiny's Garden. Still needs some tweaking though.

surpriseIs it ok to post ladies in the Snood here?cheeky

edited October 2020

So here's before the latest update. Stephanie 5 with (new to me) Snood hair. No adjustments to skin diffuse/SS color or gamma, only minor tweaks to specular and bump strength + added a specular roughness map to the face. Well tweaked the eye surfaces and added SS. The environment is zeroed out and I'm using only an HDRI with no adjustments. Regarding that hair, I immediately ditched the diffusemaps and replaced the bump/displacement maps with some hair shader tiles by Destiny's Garden. Still needs some tweaking though.

surpriseIs it ok to post ladies in the Snood here?cheeky

Don't ask me, ask Richardcool

Anyway here's the same thing with the updated SS, very interesting!

I like the new version, tks again wowie!

Stephanie with Snood hair awe 2.png
    1200 x 831 - 1M
    edited October 2020

...one more with a more neutral HDRI...

Stephanie with Snood hair 3 awe.png
    1200 x 831 - 1M
  • wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited October 2020

Here's a tip.

If you lack a displacement texture, try using the specular map. It should add a little bit more detail to spec and break it up more. As a rule of thumb, the displacement settings should be weaker than the bump, mostly because displacement alters the mesh by quite a lot.

Here's Sabbys Cortney using the update - gen4 preset with no tweaks.

What the tweak does is scale the diffuse by 50% depending on the amout of brightness of light and texture, It also produces roughly the same brightness if you're not using SSS. You can still tweak the saturation and gamma of base/diffuse to your liking. Those and subsurface absorption color should work the same.

(Output) Desaturation now works as intended. A -1 value will completely desaturate renders.

Post edited by wowie on
    edited October 2020
    wowie said:

(Output) Desaturation now works as intended. A -1 value will completely desaturate renders.

Excellent:)

Last one for today, over and out...really like the new SS, and tks for the tip, will try;)

Stephanie with Snood hair 4 awe.png
    1200 x 831 - 1M
  • khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146
    khorneV2 said:

Hi,

yes

edited October 2020
    wowie said:

Here's a tip.

If you lack a displacement texture, try using the specular map. It should add a little bit more detail to spec and break it up more. As a rule of thumb, the displacement settings should be weaker than the bump, mostly because displacement alters the mesh by quite a lot.

So what about using the coat layer to add specular detail? The coat bump now takes maps so to my understanding you can load a second set of controlmaps and adjust coat strength and bump parameters as needed. And also playing with the specular to roughness thingy...

Edit: Haven't tested yet so have a question: If there are no coat bump maps inserted, will it use the regular bump maps or do you have to manually insert them?

So what about using the coat layer to add specular detail? The coat bump now takes maps so to my understanding you can load a second set of controlmaps and adjust coat strength and bump parameters as needed. And also playing with the specular to roughness thingy...

Very possible. You can even limit the coat map to just specular and use the base for reflection only if you want.

Edit: Haven't tested yet so have a question: If there are no coat bump maps inserted, will it use the regular bump maps or do you have to manually insert them?

If there's no separate bump map inserted, the coat will use the base bump map.

wowie said:

Very possible. You can even limit the coat map to just specular and use the base for reflection only if you want.

If there's no separate bump map inserted, the coat will use the base bump map.

yes

edited October 2020

Converted https://www.daz3d.com/interiors-the-center and made a testrender using a sun emitter and...yet again...a jpeg in the environment. Tried to speed up rendering by reducing diffuse-, reflection- and refraction depth, used 1024 Irradiance samples, nonprogressive rendering, still took 1h 50min and a bit too noisy for my taste. No transmission on the glass, only opacity. Will tweak some surfaces and lighting a bit and post a (hopefully) better version later on.

So here's the new version, full size HD, 4096 Irradiance samples and 10x10 pixel samples, diffuse depth 3...made the sunlight stronger and toned down the environment. Total Rendering Time: 12 hours 10 minutes 24.12 seconds:) Probably reducing reflection depth should speed up the rendering but wanted to put the new awe build to the test;) I appreciate that the reflections appear sharper now with 0 roughnessyes. Minimal level adjustment in post:

The Center 2 awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited October 2020

Another character under the testlights, a V4 skin by Surreality...err...Bella or something, and trying to salvage another G1 hair using AWE Hair with no diffuse textures. Made a simpler test light scenario with just one emitter and a light gray environment, should be completely neutral but I need to raise overall exposure a tad. No color- or gamma adjustments to the skin so far...

Sylva test 1 awe.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    edited October 2020

Roughly 0.5 EV more light. And some tweaks to hair melanine and bump strenght:

Sylva test 2 awe.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    edited October 2020

Updating this character...using the coatlayer to add some detail. Will need to experiment some more with bump/displacement strength.

Edit: Updated the update, added more bump. Decisions decisions...

Mats2 awe.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    Mats3 awe.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    edited October 2020

Just testing HDRI lighting, could have picked a better one...

Mats4 awe.png
    1200 x 1618 - 3M

@wowie

If you decide to release another update to aweSurface at some point, would you consider implementing a "crush blacks" control? Also a "normalize bumpmaps" would be pretty coolsmiley.

edited October 2020

...setting up another character...

Selena 1 awe.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M

@wowie

If you decide to release another update to aweSurface at some point, would you consider implementing a "crush blacks" control? Also a "normalize bumpmaps" would be pretty coolsmiley.

Raising the lower luminance value should do something similar. Especially with ACES.

wowie said:

@wowie

Raising the lower luminance value should do something similar. Especially with ACES.

Ah yes, didn't occur to me, will try, tks:)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

Sven Dullah - the results you're getting lately with skin is QUITE impressive! It's looking really good!

3Diva said:

Sven Dullah - the results you're getting lately with skin is QUITE impressive! It's looking really good!

Thank you! Really appreciate any kind of feedback:) The shader update certainly has made things a lot easier, still there is so much to be explored. Now if I could only find the hidden "make art" button...laugh

edited October 2020

Finally I got this excellent grand piano model and converted it to awe. The testrendering of course escalated a bit...

Asian Court Palmgren pp awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited October 2020

...setting up another character...

Picked up Mely3D:s street bike and tweaked my latest character a bit..

Streetbike hdri awe 2.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    edited October 2020

Developing another skin, character and outfit. Made a number of controlmaps for https://www.daz3d.com/dancar-clothes, playing with the metal masking options. The hair is https://www.daz3d.com/bolina-hair, diffusemaps removed. Base character is G1 with some V4 transfered morphs and (I think) https://www.daz3d.com/modern-muses-amalie skin.

Hulda awe.png
    1200 x 1448 - 2M
    edited October 2020

The tunic needs some fitting adjusting:)

Hulda2 awe.png
    800 x 965 - 1M
    edited October 2020

She seems to be happy with her outfit...

Hulda3pp awe.png
    1200 x 1086 - 941K
    edited October 2020

Car trouble awe.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    edited October 2020

Picked up the Goddess Braids in fastgrab...now I need to come up with a black Goddess to make it justice...testrender 1: (G1 & V4 skin per usual)

...and having some fun with postwork...

Puma1 awe.png
    1000 x 1250 - 1M
    Goddess awe.png
    1000 x 1250 - 620K
    edited October 2020

Goddess pp awe.png
    1000 x 1216 - 1M
  • khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146