The Official aweSurface Test Track

Comments

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

wowie said:

Mustakettu85 said:

You're welcome :) (I could only wish I were always right, though)

I think I read something about an interesting eyelight trick for frontal shots - it's to have bright petal-like lightsources around the camera, and the character should be looking straight at the camera. Then their pupil remains dark but there's that starburst reflection over the iris. I hate frontal shots, so I never tried anything like that, but it's similar to gemstone photography trick of having a bright reflector around the lens.

Ring camera light? Should be doable by playing with the poly shape inner radius. I also think there was a dev build where I was able to make a spoke/star like shape.

Solar corona light :) I found a proof-of-concept illo here: https://fstoppers.com/studio/fstoppers-lighting-diagrams-customize-your-catch-light-3618 The photo examples are nightmarish, though XD Police mugshots, passport shots... that sort of thing. With triangular cataracts.
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Ring camera light? Should be doable by playing with the poly shape inner radius. I also think there was a dev build where I was able to make a spoke/star like shape.

Solar corona light :) I found a proof-of-concept illo here: https://fstoppers.com/studio/fstoppers-lighting-diagrams-customize-your-catch-light-3618 The photo examples are nightmarish, though XD Police mugshots, passport shots... that sort of thing. With triangular cataracts.

LOL, tks! Yeah I had something similar in mind, will probably do some experimenting with the next "studio" shotyes. Also have to try wowie's polygone shape using the inner radius thingy combined with a mask.

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

Sven Dullah said:

LOL, tks! Yeah I had something similar in mind, will probably do some experimenting with the next "studio" shotyes. Also have to try wowie's polygone shape using the inner radius thingy combined with a mask.

The triangle shape should be doable. Just need to use a lower value for the sides.

Triangle.JPG
    1366 x 737 - 120K
    edited January 2021

The triangle shape should be doable. Just need to use a lower value for the sides.

Playing with a pentagon atm. I seem to have an issue with triangleslaugh.

Testrender with my updated lookdev setup. A large front emissive, mediumsize left side and rim and a small keylight. Floorplane, front - and backwalls, a rightside bounce plane, no environment light.

Don't know if it would be better to use even more uniform light...

Selena lookdev1 awe.png
    800 x 1000 - 479K
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited January 2021

Testing just a strong backlight and a bounce plane (and a floor) to light up the face from her right side. Used Omnifreaker's Candle light hdr in the environment. And nope I didn't increase the environment light exposure, quite the oppositewink.

TORI 1 AWE.png
    1200 x 742 - 752K

Testing some selfmade stuff for eye reflections. If someone wants to play with them, be my guest;)

Put this in the PT areashader light color:

And an opacity mask:

FLARE 1.png
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    FLARE 1 MASK.png
    2000 x 2000 - 704K
    edited January 2021

Tried to add specular light only but that looked weird. Also tried using 0.1 diffuse contribution, which looked even weirder, so ended up setting the flare light as low as possible and adjusting the cornea specular exposure (3): (I figure using tracegroups would be an option...)

TORI 2pp AWE .png
    1200 x 742 - 996K
    Tori setup.png
    746 x 848 - 404K
    edited January 2021

...nother lighting exercise...probably needs a re-render...

Tori on the Phone pp awe.png
    800 x 916 - 948K
    edited January 2021

...and here it is, closer but no cigar, more work needed...not sure why the shirt lost its patternsurprise

Tori on the Phone 3 awe.png
    1200 x 1374 - 1M
    edited January 2021

Stumbled upon Kelly's Lodge while looking for something in my runtime and did a (very) quick conversion, made the windows and the fire emissive and hit render, just over an hour with acceptable noise levels, go figure...

a nice set packed with cool props:)

Kelly's Lodge test awe.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    edited January 2021

...Sven is continuing his non-artistic explorations...

Daz'n Jazz pp awe.png
    1600 x 1000 - 2M
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Those socks surely keep her warm XD

Mustakettu85 said:

Those socks surely keep her warm XD

Atleast they kept it within the TOSlaugh

The updated AWE Shading Kit and AWE Surface installers are up.Also, the .pdf readme is updated and should also install properly now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/154hmnGLi6xBC1Qrx3IJVnukVnfZgiCSr/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i3P5yVxiS4wZzhdZu6FeLNuiNuIPOAVe/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if there's any problems.

wowie said:

The updated AWE Shading Kit and AWE Surface installers are up.Also, the .pdf readme is updated and should also install properly now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/154hmnGLi6xBC1Qrx3IJVnukVnfZgiCSr/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i3P5yVxiS4wZzhdZu6FeLNuiNuIPOAVe/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if there's any problems.

DIM gives me the "install failed". 

Did a manual install. When opening a scene and go to the surface tab it says shader: custom. Only the diffuse- and opacity channel. Applying aweSurface doesn't change that, still says custom shader.

edited January 2021

Sven Dullah said:

Did a manual install. When opening a scene and go to the surface tab it says shader: custom. Only the diffuse- and opacity channel. Applying aweSurface doesn't change that, still says custom shader.

Yes, it's missing references to the parameters/definition files. I've made the necessary corrections, tested it and re-uploaded the corrected installer. Should work now.

The presets are all in .duf format (except for the deprecated hair presets). For non figures, you will need to first apply the main AWE Surface.duf preset first, then apply other presets. For figures and figure zones, you can apply your choice of figure/surface zone presets directly. They shouldn't unload/override any textures loaded in the previous shader slots like before with the .dsa presets, but the time it takes to apply them should be much, much shorter.

Post edited by wowie on

Yup DIM installed it, rendering, thanks!

Wowie did you make a change log? And does this new version have a name/number? smiley

Sven Dullah said:

Wowie did you make a change log? And does this new version have a name/number? smiley

Both have the same build - 1.4. The changelog is in the manual. Pretty short since it's mainly bug fixing.

edited January 2021

wowie said:

Sven Dullah said:

Both have the same build - 1.4. The changelog is in the manual. Pretty short since it's mainly bug fixing.

Ok tks! Another slightly annoying thing...the character presets seem to be rather messed up. Haven't tested them all but for example the G1 base character preset loads a M4 skin from the poser runtimelaugh. And the pupil preset loads with 100% spec2 strength. Also the specular 1 strength and some of the diffuse color slots are greyed out, apparently hidden? I probably have the show hidden enabled so they show up, but you might want to check those out.

base char G1 preset.png
    1881 x 665 - 1012K
    greyed out parameters.png
    231 x 832 - 73K
    edited January 2021

Ok, first render with the new build, used one of RawArt's Lizardian texture sets instead of Jeremy:) Also transferred his Lizardian head morph to G1. Some additional G1 morphs used.

Lizardian awe.png
    1200 x 1371 - 2M

Sven Dullah said:

Ok tks! Another slightly annoying thing...the character presets seem to be rather messed up. Haven't tested them all but for example the G1 base character preset loads a M4 skin from the poser runtimelaugh. And the pupil preset loads with 100% spec2 strength. Also the specular 1 strength and some of the diffuse color slots are greyed out, apparently hidden? I probably have the show hidden enabled so they show up, but you might want to check those out.

I'll fix that later. Looks like I didn't edit the Genesis preset properly.

For now, simply Ctrl+Click (command on the Mac) to bring up the override texture dialog box.

The problem with greyed out channels have to do with the .duf preset. To avoid the problem (for now), apply the AWE Surface base preset first, then apply the character preset(s). Doing it that way seems to fix those problems.

edited January 2021

wowie said:

Sven Dullah said:

I'll fix that later. Looks like I didn't edit the Genesis preset properly.

For now, simply Ctrl+Click (command on the Mac) to bring up the override texture dialog box.

The problem with greyed out channels have to do with the .duf preset. To avoid the problem (for now), apply the AWE Surface base preset first, then apply the character preset(s). Doing it that way seems to fix those problems.

Yea I also noticed you have to apply the base preset first, just double clicking any other preset won't apply the awe base shader. No worries though, all in due time...

Playing with abberation now. Looks like it increases rendering times quite a bit. Do you have any pointers as to when to use it and how much (from a PBR point of view)?

edited January 2021

Buddha on thin ice...abberation 30%

Buddha on ice awe.png
    800 x 914 - 1M
    edited January 2021

I've tracked what the problem is, but couldn't come up with a solution. So for now, I'm going to revert the character / surface zone presets to .dsa. Applying them seems to hide the Specular 1 Strength and Diffuse Color slots for some reason.

For workflow, I still recommend applying the base shader first, since the conversion process is shorter with the .duf preset. Then apply the character / surface zone presets.

As for abberation, there's no way around the render time hit. So, use it sparingly. It does seem to render faster with less complex objects.

Post edited by wowie on

wowie said:

I've tracked what the problem is, but couldn't come up with a solution. So for now, I'm going to revert the character / surface zone presets to .dsa. Applying them seems to hide the Specular 1 Strength and Diffuse Color slots for some reason.

Ok, no big deal;)

For workflow, I still recommend applying the base shader first, since the conversion process is shorter with the .duf preset. Then apply the character / surface zone presets.

Yep, got it!

As for abberation, there's no way around the render time hit. So, use it sparingly. It does seem to render faster with less complex objects.

Probably a good idea to start with a sphere for testing;)

edited January 2021

@wowie

Hmm, looks like I get the odd firefly on the AWE hair. Goes away if I turn off the specular2 lobe.

Scaled up 400%:

AWE HAIR firefly?.png
    699 x 681 - 80K

@wowie

Just some feedback...haven't really had the time to test the new build much yet but I've made a few attempts to render out some ideas. I have issues with overly agressive highlights. I spend more time trying to eliminate them than actually rendering something useful. Everything that involves arealights, metals, glass. water or else highly reflective surfaces is a major struggle. I feel a bit lost at the moment so forgive me for sounding negative. Maybe I'll find my way home eventually:)

edited January 2021

Sven Dullah said:

@wowie

Just some feedback...haven't really had the time to test the new build much yet but I've made a few attempts to render out some ideas. I have issues with overly agressive highlights. I spend more time trying to eliminate them than actually rendering something useful. Everything that involves arealights, metals, glass. water or else highly reflective surfaces is a major struggle. I feel a bit lost at the moment so forgive me for sounding negative. Maybe I'll find my way home eventually:)

Highlights depends on lots of things. Strength, roughness, index of refraction and the size of your emitter affect how weak/strong and narrow/spread out the highlights will be. Overly strong bump/displacements also plays a part, especially up close.

For most non-metal stuff, an IOR of 1.5 is roughly good enough. Skin is 1.45 I think and fabric (without specular maps) is around 1.1 or 1.2. Most of the time, you'll be tweaking roughness and specular strength/specular map strength. For most stuff, 10 to 20% roughness looks good. Those will look just slightly glossy with small, strong emitters. On fabric/clothes, i generally use the fabric preset, which is 30 % with a grazing roughness of 50%. Depending on the map, you'll either have to tone down specular strength or the specular map strength.

I usually set up materials using the emitter props I made, since those are 1x1 m. For strong/glossy highlights, I dial the scale down to 25%, which is almost the typical LED panel lights.

Generally, bump/displacements is pretty much all over the place. I usually just make sure to get really close and fine tune the bump/displacement strength and min/max until the highlights has a slight breakup, but still have the general look when viewed at a distance.

Once that's done, then I check how they look with a HDRI scene. Rather than tweaking the surface/materials, I tweak the HDRI settings since the light is what's right. HDRIs are also all over the place too, which is why I don't generally use or even trust them as lights. Set up everything without DOF first.

Here's an example. I've set the 1st emitter and resized it to 200% uniform scale and 300% x axis scale. It's using the default position and distance.

Once I've applied the shaders, it's obvious the clothes will look wrong since the default shader settings are very reflective. What you want is to have similar levels on both.

Here's with a 30% roughness and 50% roughness at grazing angles. It already looks much better, but still too noticeable.

Then we dial down the IOR to lower the highlights when viewed directly from the front. When viewed at grazing angles, the highlights should look roughly the same strength as before. I'm using 1.12 here, which is probably too low.

One easy weay to see if that's the case is disable the diffuse, so you'll only have specular/reflection. It should look like a black fabric. Actually, that looks pretty good. Let's check what the highlighs look like at grazing angles. I rotated the emitter prop to 120 degrees.

Obviously, that's too strong. We want a soft, fur-like highlight. To do that, we need to dial down the specular strength (since we have no maps). But that means our highlights when viewed directly will also be dimmer. That's why we need to raise the IOR. So i dialed down the strength to 50%, then raise the IOR to 1.3.

Looks good both on grazing angles and viewed head on. You could tweak it again to match the highlight levels with an IOR 1.12 by lowering the specular strenght a bit more (looks roughly similar at 40%). But for example purposes, this explains what to do. These settings relies solely on the shader parameters which are physically based. So the values will be consistent. You'll likely need to adjust if you use maps, but that's what the Specular Map Strength and Normalize Specular Map dials are for.

lookdev1.jpg
    364 x 600 - 51K
    lookdev2.jpg
    364 x 600 - 49K
    lookdev3.jpg
    364 x 600 - 48K
    lookdev4.jpg
    364 x 600 - 37K
    lookdev5.jpg
    364 x 600 - 37K
    lookdev6.jpg
    364 x 600 - 33K