The Official aweSurface Test Track

Comments

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited January 2021

Here's some extra test shots, but this time I've shrink down the emitter to 25% and reduce the x-scale to just 100%.

I raise the intensity scale by 6.5 to compensate. As you can see, the highlights on the clothes still looks plausible. But more importantly, they stay consistent.

lookdev9.jpg
    364 x 600 - 34K
    Post edited by wowie on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

wowie said:

Sven Dullah said:

@wowie

Just some feedback...haven't really had the time to test the new build much yet but I've made a few attempts to render out some ideas. I have issues with overly agressive highlights. I spend more time trying to eliminate them than actually rendering something useful. Everything that involves arealights, metals, glass. water or else highly reflective surfaces is a major struggle. I feel a bit lost at the moment so forgive me for sounding negative. Maybe I'll find my way home eventually:)

Highlights depends on lots of things. Strength, roughness, index of refraction and the size of your emitter affect how weak/strong and narrow/spread out the highlights will be. Overly strong bump/displacements also plays a part, especially up close.

For most non-metal stuff, an IOR of 1.5 is roughly good enough. Skin is 1.45 I think and fabric (without specular maps) is around 1.1 or 1.2. Most of the time, you'll be tweaking roughness and specular strength/specular map strength. For most stuff, 10 to 20% roughness looks good. Those will look just slightly glossy with small, strong emitters. On fabric/clothes, i generally use the fabric preset, which is 30 % with a grazing roughness of 50%. Depending on the map, you'll either have to tone down specular strength or the specular map strength.

I usually set up materials using the emitter props I made, since those are 1x1 m. For strong/glossy highlights, I dial the scale down to 25%, which is almost the typical LED panel lights.

Generally, bump/displacements is pretty much all over the place. I usually just make sure to get really close and fine tune the bump/displacement strength and min/max until the highlights has a slight breakup, but still have the general look when viewed at a distance.

Once that's done, then I check how they look with a HDRI scene. Rather than tweaking the surface/materials, I tweak the HDRI settings since the light is what's right. HDRIs are also all over the place too, which is why I don't generally use or even trust them as lights. Set up everything without DOF first.

Here's an example. I've set the 1st emitter and resized it to 200% uniform scale and 300% x axis scale. It's using the default position and distance.

Once I've applied the shaders, it's obvious the clothes will look wrong since the default shader settings are very reflective. What you want is to have similar levels on both.

Here's with a 30% roughness and 50% roughness at grazing angles. It already looks much better, but still too noticeable.

Then we dial down the IOR to lower the highlights when viewed directly from the front. When viewed at grazing angles, the highlights should look roughly the same strength as before. I'm using 1.12 here, which is probably too low.

One easy weay to see if that's the case is disable the diffuse, so you'll only have specular/reflection. It should look like a black fabric. Actually, that looks pretty good. Let's check what the highlighs look like at grazing angles. I rotated the emitter prop to 120 degrees.

Obviously, that's too strong. We want a soft, fur-like highlight. To do that, we need to dial down the specular strength (since we have no maps). But that means our highlights when viewed directly will also be dimmer. That's why we need to raise the IOR. So i dialed down the strength to 50%, then raise the IOR to 1.3.

Looks good both on grazing angles and viewed head on. You could tweak it again to match the highlight levels with an IOR 1.12 by lowering the specular strenght a bit more (looks roughly similar at 40%). But for example purposes, this explains what to do. These settings relies solely on the shader parameters which are physically based. So the values will be consistent. You'll likely need to adjust if you use maps, but that's what the Specular Map Strength and Normalize Specular Map dials are for.

Tks wowie, useful tips indeed! Does this apply to tweaking metals also, because that's what is causing me the most problems? I guess I'll have to test various IoR values to try to balance up specular exposure with reflections? Right now it feels that the highlights from the arealights totally take over.

Sven Dullah said:

Tks wowie, useful tips indeed! Does this apply to tweaking metals also, because that's what is causing me the most problems?

Metals uses specular color / edge tint and follow the same principle. Highlights on rougher metals generally come from actual lights rather than reflection of another surface.

I guess I'll have to test various IoR values to try to balance up specular exposure with reflections?

Don't do that. Specular exposure should be the last resort to get the look that you want. Mostly because it breaks the scheme so I've put a relaxed limit on how much over exposure you can actually dial.

Right now it feels that the highlights from the arealights totally take over.

Well, technically that's the correct behavior. Lights emits energy, while reflections mostly pass them on to other surfaces. Even the most reflective and shiniest metals will have energy loss (to heat) with reflected light. In contrast, emitters have no energy loss (assuming both are at the same distance since light falloff is the same). If you don't want a strong highlight, lower the emitter's intensity and/or or scale it up, move it further. You can also lower the specular contribution of that particular light. It's also not physically correct, but it's a useful behavior.

edited January 2021

I guess I'll have to test various IoR values to try to balance up specular exposure with reflections?

Don't do that. Specular exposure should be the last resort to get the look that you want. Mostly because it breaks the scheme so I've put a relaxed limit on how much over exposure you can actually dial.

Are you saying I shouldn't change IoR for metals? I was not talking about changing the specular exposure value, what I meant was trying to tone down the highlights but preserve reflections. So thinking under exposure rather than the oppositelaugh.

Right now it feels that the highlights from the arealights totally take over.

Well, technically that's the correct behavior. Lights emits energy, while reflections mostly pass them on to other surfaces. Even the most reflective and shiniest metals will have energy loss (to heat) with reflected light. In contrast, emitters have no energy loss (assuming both are at the same distance since light falloff is the same).

I understand, but ever since the very first awe build I've more or less struggled with the behaviour of the highlights vs reflections. Tried to deal with in in a million ways but not found soething that works for every scenario. I'll put your latest tips to good use though for my next attempt.

If you don't want a strong highlight, lower the emitter's intensity and/or or scale it up, move it further. You can also lower the specular contribution of that particular light. It's also not physically correct, but it's a useful behavior.

...which brings us to the next problem...this is not possible when using let's say indoor sets with light fixtures. You can play with intensity but you need a certain amount of light in the scene. And I've played with specular contribution but found that it isn't a viable solution because you'e running into other problems instead, like skins will look bad, you get dark reflected areas instead of highlights and so on. Atleast you need to be very careful when using that feature;)

Then there's the problem with simulating sun/moonlight. Here you also need a certain intensity to light up the scene, but the default physically correct falloff is not working very well. Using a linear falloff seems to be the best solution but something happens with the highlight vs reflection balance when you set falloff to 1. Basically you'd need a falloff of 0 for those scenarios but that doesn't work at all currently. How about making a dedicated arealight shader for simulating distant lights? Or should I look into using HDRIs again? I'd rather use the arealights for a number of reasons.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited January 2021

Tweaked my reflector studio setup  some more. The challenge here seems to be how to be able to raise the rimlight intensity without blowing out the skindetail, so related to the highlights discussion:) I'd need some more intensity for the SS to work the way I want, but this is the max if I want to preserve detail. I tried to lower IoR on the skin and raise glossy fresnel roughness and was able to push intensity another 0.5 EV. Also obviously tried to tweak the SS settings by raising the SS phase a bit, which worked better than increasing SS scale, still kind of miss the translucency boost for these scenarios...

Cybrog 5pp awe.png
    800 x 914 - 1M

wowie said:

Here's some extra test shots, but this time I've shrink down the emitter to 25% and reduce the x-scale to just 100%.

I raise the intensity scale by 6.5 to compensate. As you can see, the highlights on the clothes still looks plausible. But more importantly, they stay consistent.

Oh btw, can't see your attachments.

Sven Dullah said:

Tweaked my reflector studio setup  some more. The challenge here seems to be how to be able to raise the rimlight intensity without blowing out the skindetail, so related to the highlights discussion:) I'd need some more intensity for the SS to work the way I want, but this is the max if I want to preserve detail. I tried to lower IoR on the skin and raise glossy fresnel roughness and was able to push intensity another 0.5 EV. Also obviously tried to tweak the SS settings by raising the SS phase a bit, which worked better than increasing SS scale, still kind of miss the translucency boost for these scenarios...

Skin detail generally comes from specular and bump. What you can do is enable the coat layer, but limit it to just specular so the coat doesn't actually reflect anything, but can still receive highlights from lights. Doing it this way is physically correct, plus you'll have more control since the coat has its own roughness/glossy fresnel settings. Since now the coat layer have a separate bump controls, you can enable those and get additional bump detail that's limited to the coat highlights.

The translucency boost was experimental and it was prone to bugs and SSS showing up where it wasn't suppose to. Might revisit that issue later on.

Yeah, I mistakenly deleted the files and the forum didn't refresh as I posted. Fixed the link and re-upload the image.

wowie said:

Sven Dullah said:

Skin detail generally comes from specular and bump. What you can do is enable the coat layer, but limit it to just specular so the coat doesn't actually reflect anything, but can still receive highlights from lights. Doing it this way is physically correct, plus you'll have more control since the coat has its own roughness/glossy fresnel settings. Since now the coat layer have a separate bump controls, you can enable those and get additional bump detail that's limited to the coat highlights.

I might try using the coatlayer on this character, but my point was not about adding detail, it was about the specular highlight from the rim getting overexposed, thus blowing out the skindetail, as in RGB 255,255,255 white;) So that makes it impossible to set the light intensity I would like to use.

The translucency boost was experimental and it was prone to bugs and SSS showing up where it wasn't suppose to. Might revisit that issue later on.

Fingers crossed:) Yeah it had some bugs but still liked it (when it worked)cheeky

Yeah, I mistakenly deleted the files and the forum didn't refresh as I posted. Fixed the link and re-upload the image.

Tks, nice examplesyes

edited January 2021

Converted this parkinglot from IRay. The new awe base shader preset is really fast, nice! But still have to load the normalmaps manually, and still getting the artifacts so had to skip them. Was a bit lazy so just plugged the normalmaps in the bump slot, which kind of worked ok. Also tried to use HDRI lighting but looked terrible so used the "png + arealight with linear falloff" method. Btw, I haven't mentioned it, but I made a discovery quite some time ago when converting an HDRI to png. It looked very dark and weird both in the viewport and when rendered, so I took it into GIMP and noticed it had a color profile assigned to it. This seems to happen when converting from HDRI, and the environment shader does not like it. Have to convert the png to RGB space! I've probably caused myself a lot of problems before noticing this;) Also the tonemapped jpg:s that can be DL:d from HDRI Haven has a color profile assigned to them.

Katri3 awe.png
    1600 x 2000 - 5M
    edited January 2021

Trying out a night setting. 18 lampposts with four lamps each. Luckily the lampglasses are only one poly so made them emissive. So 72 very small emitters:)

Katri3night awe.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    edited January 2021

@wowie

Here is an example of the issues I have with metals and specular highlights. For this render I tried to simplify lighting as much as possible, so there is only one sun emitter with a linear falloff and 1(!) EV intensity + an additional one inside the cabin. A jpg for the environment sphere with default exposure. I'm thinking there must be some kind of glitch, because the results I get are very off, but haven't figured it out yet. The body suit also had very nasty highlights on previous attempts, it's meant to be rather high gloss, but here I tried reducing IoR to 1.2 and that kind of made them dimmer, but not exactly what I have in mind:)) Compare this scene to the girl in the parking lot (daytime version), same kind of light setup for the sun (linear falloff) but 5 EV intensity. Any ideas?

Time traveling trouble awe.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    time traveller light.png
    460 x 892 - 104K
    sun emitter.png
    407 x 807 - 77K
    internal emitter.png
    421 x 836 - 87K
    metal.png
    212 x 796 - 72K
    edited January 2021

Looks like I fixed it. Still don't understand what was happening but I suspect there was a glitch with the arealight shader. After reloading the time machine and reapplying the awe mats, deleting all lights and rebuilding from scratch everything seems to start making sense. Maybe I can turn it into something useful after all;)

edited January 2021

Yeah...not having much luck with the new build.

200% scale

Raising my hands for now...

SG AWE.png
    800 x 989 - 1M
    SPEC NOISE.png
    372 x 359 - 81K
    edited January 2021

My notes:

AWE AreaPT 's backside control only matters if you have Front Back Separate enabled. With just Front Back, front/back facing side of the light uses the same intensity scale/light settings.

Normal maps don't work properly across seams so that will cause issues. It's not limited to AWE Surface (it's a DS problem). I will simply not bother troubleshooting them at all.

The problems with eyes/eyelash is likely due to transmission or transmission bias. Try disabling transmission and just use specular with opacity enabled.

Post edited by wowie on
    edited January 2021

wowie said:

My notes:

AWE AreaPT 's backside control only matters if you have Front Back Separate enabled. With just Front Back, front/back facing side of the light uses the same intensity scale/light settings.

I know that!

Normal maps don't work properly across seams so that will cause issues. It's not limited to AWE Surface (it's a DS problem). I will simply not bother troubleshooting them at all.

Ok! Just saying the new build seems to have more issues with normal maps. For example, opened the indoor pool scene to testrender with no changes, and the floor (and most other surfaces using normal maps) is a solid black now.

The problems with eyes/eyelash is likely due to transmission or transmission bias. Try disabling transmission and just use specular with opacity enabled.

There was no transmission, I used opacity.

Edit: Have to correct myself, I just opened the Stalkergirl scene and checked the eye surfaces. When setting it up yesterday I obviously just checked the cornea because I know your preset uses 100% transmission, 100% diffuse strength, 100% translucency, no specular/reflection, 100% transmission shadows and opacity disabled. So I set it up the way I think it should be set up, no transmission or diffuse, specular/reflections 100%, opacity on at 0% strength, multiply specular/reflection with opacity off. It didn't occur to me to check transmission on the eyelashes and the other eye surfaces, but sure enough they used 100% transmission thanks to your base character preset. Why on earth would I want to use 100% transmission, transmission shadows AND opacity on something like lashes? Or the pupils that basically represent empty spaces/holes...100% transmission, 100% translucency, specular2 strength 100%, transmission shadow 100%?? Bottom line: Every eye surface except the tear and sclera use 100% transmission. Yeah I'll update my own presets to work with the new build, and I think you should too.

Anyways, I'm glad you mentioned transmission because I actually could complete this render without further problems:)

SG awe.png
    800 x 989 - 1M

Sven Dullah said:

Ok! Just saying the new build seems to have more issues with normal maps. For example, opened the indoor pool scene to testrender with no changes, and the floor (and most other surfaces using normal maps) is a solid black now.

Normal maps never worked properly. From the beginning, I already warned if you use them, you do so at your own peril.

Bottom line: Every eye surface except the tear and sclera use 100% transmission. Yeah I'll update my own presets to work with the new build, and I think you should too.

Anyways, I'm glad you mentioned transmission because I actually could complete this render without further problems:)

So, most of the problems seems to be because of your presets. I've checked mine. I think one explanation here is that you applied a wrong preset and wasn't aware of it.

Genesis lacks the eye surface/reflection zone, so there's only iris, cornea. pupils and sclera. Gen4 and Genesis 2 brought back the eye surface zone. If I remember correctly, Genesis 3 and 8 integrated the eye surface with the tears as eye moisture. So having eye reflections will be different for each figures. For Gen 4 and Genesis 2, you can just use the eye surface and leave everything else disabled. For Genesis, you'll have to apply reflection to the sclera and cornea.

The sclera preset in the kit don't enable reflections, so for Genesis you'll have to enable it manually or just apply the character preset I made. The eye pupil preset also will still enable specular/reflections by default, which is disabled if you use the character presets.

My point is, use the character preset as a base. The surface zone presets are there for figures outside of the included ones.

Going back to your metals, they likely just need a bit more roughness.

edited February 2021

wowie said:

Sven Dullah said:

Normal maps never worked properly. From the beginning, I already warned if you use them, you do so at your own peril.

Fair enoughsmiley

Bottom line: Every eye surface except the tear and sclera use 100% transmission. Yeah I'll update my own presets to work with the new build, and I think you should too.

So, most of the problems seems to be because of your presets. I've checked mine. I think one explanation here is that you applied a wrong preset and wasn't aware of it.

Genesis lacks the eye surface/reflection zone, so there's only iris, cornea. pupils and sclera. Gen4 and Genesis 2 brought back the eye surface zone. If I remember correctly, Genesis 3 and 8 integrated the eye surface with the tears as eye moisture. So having eye reflections will be different for each figures. For Gen 4 and Genesis 2, you can just use the eye surface and leave everything else disabled. For Genesis, you'll have to apply reflection to the sclera and cornea.

The sclera preset in the kit don't enable reflections, so for Genesis you'll have to enable it manually or just apply the character preset I made. The eye pupil preset also will still enable specular/reflections by default, which is disabled if you use the character presets.

Not true!

My point is, use the character preset as a base. The surface zone presets are there for figures outside of the included ones.

Just to clarify, this is what I did for this particular scene: Loaded the character, selected all the surfaces and applied  the awe base shader (AWE Surface.duf) preset. Applied the Genesis 1 character preset. Modified the sclera, iris and cornea to my liking + tweaked the skinsettings. As I said, it never occured to me that your base character preset has such weird settings, but now I know for sure. You say you checked the preset, so I assume you are happy with it. I'm telling you it does not work properly, hence my problems. I don't see the point in including a preset that does not do the job properly, but that's just me. I can make my own presets, always have.

Going back to your metals, they likely just need a bit more roughness.

Tks I'll give it a shot;)

edited February 2021

...some random stuff...

The Bus Stop Repair Man awe.png
    1600 x 1100 - 2M
    edited February 2021

Testing my G1 male character preset

Eligio awe.png
    800 x 1000 - 915K

Sven Dullah said:

Not true!

Just to clarify, this is what I did for this particular scene: Loaded the character, selected all the surfaces and applied  the awe base shader (AWE Surface.duf) preset. Applied the Genesis 1 character preset. Modified the sclera, iris and cornea to my liking + tweaked the skinsettings. As I said, it never occured to me that your base character preset has such weird settings, but now I know for sure. You say you checked the preset, so I assume you are happy with it. I'm telling you it does not work properly, hence my problems. I don't see the point in including a preset that does not do the job properly, but that's just me. I can make my own presets, always have.

I double checked the character .dsa presets. I've not found any evidence of what you're implying. Could you be using the borked character .duf presets?

wowie said:

Sven Dullah said:

Not true!

I double checked the character .dsa presets. I've not found any evidence of what you're implying. Could you be using the borked character .duf presets?

Yes, that was it, my apologies! Uninstalled the shading kit one more time and re installed and now I have the dsa presets. It remains a mystery why the installation did not work the previous time. Did exactly the same thing, uninstalled, deleted the package, dropped the new package into DIM downloads, made a refresh and installed. Go figure...

• Sven Dullah said:

...some random stuff...

Those bus stop & toilet lid threads are the best things to have ever happened to these forums.

Mustakettu85 said:

Sven Dullah said:

...some random stuff...

Those bus stop & toilet lid threads are the best things to have ever happened to these forums.

Yeah, just need to find the right angle heredevil

edited February 2021

Testing some content for my "desert storm" scenery.

Bradley desert awe.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    edited February 2021

Remade the shape to try and make him a bit less toonish...

Eligio2 awe.png
    800 x 1000 - 887K
  • Sven Dullah said:

Are you planning to use this tank to test the curvature detection algo or did the vendor only include a texture set from the military parade?

Mustakettu85 said:

Sven Dullah said:

Are you planning to use this tank to test the curvature detection algo or did the vendor only include a texture set from the military parade?

Was mostly worried about smoothing issues at this stage. Had to reduce the angle to around 20-30. Think I picked it up as a freebie long ago and never used it. One 2k diffuse texture for the whole thing, no controlmaps. We'll see...will probably serve as a background element?

• Sven Dullah said:

Was mostly worried about smoothing issues at this stage. Had to reduce the angle to around 20-30. Think I picked it up as a freebie long ago and never used it. One 2k diffuse texture for the whole thing, no controlmaps. We'll see...will probably serve as a background element?

With a decent texture, might work as a hero element; the geometry doesn't seem too bad. Though of course, the ultimate test is throwing subdivision all over it - even with sharp edges and corners, even with all edges being set to a high value, most models in the "you-know-what-verse" still fall apart :P

edited February 2021

Mustakettu85 said:

With a decent texture, might work as a hero element; the geometry doesn't seem too bad. Though of course, the ultimate test is throwing subdivision all over it - even with sharp edges and corners, even with all edges being set to a high value, most models in the "you-know-what-verse" still fall apart :P

Was not brave enough for that step yetlaugh. I wish I had something like xxx in my library;)

Edit: OOps I was not allowed to link to that image, all I can say it was built like a Russian tanksmiley

edited February 2021

Just playing a bit more with lighting and hidden bounce planes. Also trying to finetune my G1 female skin preset. Some minor level adjustments in post. I might have desaturated the SS a bit too much?

Kikan1pp awe.png
    1600 x 1920 - 1M