Thanks, Stazza

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119
    edited December 2018

Voted, good luck to all  _

_so,  didnt Compleate Carrara Challgne Neitherr     frown

Post edited by ed3D on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 2018

Due to understandable schedule issues, the hosting duties have descended unto me.  I have an idea, but invite suggestions while the usual arrangements are made with Daz etc. behind the scenes.  

My current thinking is to return to the format where there are two categories, A and B.  There would be equal prizes for (artist with most votes for all entries combined), (artist of image in category A that receives most votes), (artist of image in category B that receives most votes).  There would be a lesser prize for honorable mention.  Winner of most votes combined would be first offered next hosting duties.

? Theme - Multipass - Any Element, Not Just the 5th?

!!  Nothing official yet.  Thinking of a Multipass Theme, of Earth, Air, Fire, Water, or the 5th.  People can interpret any element any way they want.  Don’t feel limited to being literal.  

My current thought is to have category A be with postwork, and category B be with no post work. For this challenge, postwork is defined as using a multi pass render in an image editor in some way (the image editor can be Carrara). For example, you could load the depth pass back in some object’s shader tree. Filters built into Carrara such as the native toon filter or added with plugins like GMIC or DCG would not count as postwork, but are permitted and encouraged.  The requirement for category A would not be JUST some sort of post work, but that a person would have to use a render pass in some way.  Thus, a person could enter category B and still use GMIC, toon, etc.  People entering category A would have to include a brief explanation, screenshot, or similar in the WIP thread of which multipass they used, and how.  Would link to some helpful resources !!

Feel free to offer alternatives.  I will be on trains with only intermittent internet access for the next couple of days so it will be a while before I settle arrangements with Daz, potential sponsors, search for helpful resources, and all that other stuff.  If someone persuades me of a better idea, or someone else wants to be host, or if Daz throws a curve, or... then the above idea is eliminated.  Brainstorm on it at your own risk.

Edit - the thought is that people would use GIMP or Photoshop or whatever but the Carrara depth pass in shader tree example is there to demonstrate that image editors would not be required even for category A  

Post edited by Diomede on

Also speak up if you think requiring using a multi pass render in some way for category A is unreasonable.  You can PM me if you don’t want to do it on the forum.  I just think it has to be less onerous than the meatball requirement. laugh

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

I'm ignorant. Vut iz multipass?

edited December 2018

Multipass refers to rendering options.  In the render room, under the output tab, there is a list of extra render passes that Carrara can generate when you render your scene. There are quite a few options.  Here is a screengrab of a list.  Probably the easiest to understand and use is the shadow pass.  Here is a simple scene with a straight render and the outcome if the shadow pass is checked.

aaa01b multipass list.jpg
    1666 x 974 - 553K
    aaarenderDoc2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 10K
    aaaDoc2_Shadow.jpg
    640 x 480 - 7K

Here are some additional multipass options for the same base scene.

aaaDoc2_Position.jpg
    640 x 480 - 9K
    aaaDoc2_Glow.jpg
    640 x 480 - 6K
    aaaDoc2_Diffuse.jpg
    640 x 480 - 9K
    aaaDoc2_Velocity.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    edited December 2018

Here is an example of using the shadow pass to darken the shadows.  I loaded my base render in my image editor.  I loaded the shadow pass as another layer.  I set the shadow pass type to "multiply."  Where the multiply layer is white, the underlying image is unaffected, where it is grey, it gets a little darker, where it is black, it gets even more dark.

bbb01 screengrab load base scene and shadow pass.JPG
    1713 x 754 - 69K
    bbb02 multiply shadow pass makes darker shadows.JPG
    1733 x 762 - 67K

You can use multipass renders to help with depth, or to improve glowing objects, or to select the background, to select dynamic hair, to combine a toon render with a photorea render (like Gene Kelly dancing with Tom and Jerry), and a million other things.  

edited December 2018

Or, maybe the confusion is on the connection of multipass to the elements.  In the movie, The 5th Element, the ticket to the galaxy is the Multi-pass.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119116/

EDIT - you wouldn't have to connect to The 5th Element in any way.  In classic education, the world was made up of four elements, Earth, Air, Fire, and Water.  People could do a mermaid, and say it was related to water elements, or do a render of a famous chemist in front of the periodic table of elements, or render a cloud and say it connects water and air, or render something very thematic and interpretive.

• Or, maybe the confusion is on the connection of multipass to the elements.  In the movie, The 5th Element, the ticket to the galaxy is the Multi-pass.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119116/

EDIT - you wouldn't have to connect to The 5th Element in any way.  In classic education, the world was made up of four elements, Earth, Air, Fire, and Water.  People could do a mermaid, and say it was related to water elements, or do a render of a famous chemist in front of the periodic table of elements, or render a cloud and say it connects water and air, or render something very thematic and interpretive.

actually so was my school bus card waaaay before Fifth Element
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited December 2018

I couldn't help myself....

a wacky model of a multipass

I use to forge train passes for my schoolmates when I was a young teen... they must of been good or the ticket fella never bothered to look closely devil

MultiPass.png
    640 x 480 - 107K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

HEART!

Your powers ccombined..

i have no but's.in for a challenge.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

I like the idea Diomede, hoping to participate this time. While the students are gone there won't be much work for me so I plan on shacking up with Carrara and my cat for a few weeks over winter break.

edited December 2018

Wow - life is lightning fast these days.  Stezza already has his multipass!  MAJourney and DesertDude are signing up.  I've heard back from Daz confirming the general outline of the challenge, so a Carrara Challenge #44 will occur (Britney is great!!!!).  I'll work on an anouncement thread while I rumble along in the train through the Great Plains.  Might get distracted if I see any buffalo, but I think they are gone.  Think my next internet access point will be St. Louis.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.  I will make sure that there is an option that does not require using a multipass render so that no one feels frozen out.  I am grateful for all of the plugins and supplements that I have acquired, but it can make it hard to remember what comes with Carrara in order to be confident that everyone will have it, or at least have access to it.

• one could always collage their multipass renders like some Warhol style pop art poster