Kharma's Korner

1235»

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited September 2018

It's been a while since I had anything I thought was good enough to post so just playing around tonite and created a dialspun character who started from the basic G8 Female. I used several of the HSTW morphs packages for G8.  I don't recall which skin I used, the hair is MRL Gem hair which I absolutely love and the lighting is Painters lights.

DialsGen8HSTWMorphs.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 390K
    Post edited by Kharma on
    edited September 2018

I've been working on lighting and trying out some HDRI's I have never used.  this is one of Cake and Bob's that also include DOF.  Not sure how to have her stand out more from the background as she seems to blend into it. the character is the same lady I dial spun in the previous post.

DOFhdri.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 769K
    Post edited by Kharma on
  • She is lovely! the only thing I can think of off hand to make her stand out more is to maybe change her dress to a solid darker color.

edited September 2018

Thanks for the feedback @IceDragonArt! Originally I had a darker dress with a different background, but ended up changing both.  I have been trying to get back into making art for a while but I ws going through a bit of a slump plus real life was getting in my way! One thing I was working on was the possibility of softening the shadow edges. They are very strong on the characters shadow but faded out on the shadows from the HDRI...is that possible to do in iray?

Post edited by Kharma on
    edited December 2018

Still working on lighting, these are using BOSS lights.  Finally had a chance to try these out, I was struggling with my renders being blown out even though I had loaded the light preset correctly.  It seemed when I loaded the preset it doesn't change the setting to scene only but left it at dome and scene. Once I changed that to scene only I acheived the correct lighting.

BOSS 1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 810K
    BOSS 2 Dramatic.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 688K
    Post edited by Kharma on
    edited December 2018

One more ...  this one I did try t adjust the lights a bit, not 100% sure what each is achieving yet

BOSS 3 Dramatic.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 791K
    Post edited by Kharma on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Lighting is always tough to master, that's for sure.  Glad you figured it out. 

I don't know of anyway to adjust shadows independantly in Iray, you might be able to soften the shadow with a ghost light coming from the side to cut the harshness of the light a bit.

edited March 2020

So it's been a long time since I posted anything so today's the day!  This is Stolz for Genesis by @Phoenix1966  He doesn't seem to be in the store anymore tho unfortunately, and I'm not sue if he is still for sale elsewhere.

I used NGS2 on  the original skin and added Buzzed hair for Genesis, the scar is an injection morph that comes with the character.

Stolz for Genesis.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 540K
    Post edited by Kharma on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

Wow he is surely a stud in his own right!!!

@Saphirewild  thanks so much for commenting :)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I do really like the lighting on him, and I remember buying Stolz a long time ago. Shame he's not in the store, he is rather unique.

And gosh, it's GREAT to see you posting again- do some more!!!! yesheart

edited March 2020

Still playing with some older content ..this is a Genesis material on G3 with Iray Uber added and then I added some metallicity to give the skin some extra shine.  I tried to add some more bump but it didn't work.

Gskinon G3wMetallicity.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 653K
    Post edited by Kharma on
    edited March 2020

Thanks @Novica I think that lighting was Painter Lights by J.Cade ( another gone from the store ) Stolz is  a great character he had an older and younger version, I think he's been gone from the store awhile already.

I've really been trying to test some of my older products, (I am sure some have never even been loaded) and try to get off this never ending buying crusade of things I never use lol

Post edited by Kharma on

I know the feeling. I started making folders when I rendered characters, so I can go look alphabetically and see which ones I've done. Otherwise, it'd be impossible to remember. I can't believe Painter Lights is gone, I remember when folks first realized it had been pulled. Been years IIRC. 

edited May 2020

Some renders of some more new items I've had a while and never used.  Teen Jane 8 in a couple different shots, Blingkinin bathing suit, and Blair Hair by AprilYSH.  The lighting is called Great Lights and I really like them... very simple to use.  They also come with some cameras including DOF, and several backgrounds and alot of settings that are one click .

TJ8 Great Lights.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 717K
    TJ8 Great Lights 2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 638K
    TJ8 Great Lights DOF.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 540K
    Post edited by Kharma on
    edited May 2020

This is Gui with Dforce traditional outfit and again Great Lights.  I haven't tried Dforce before and this outfit took about 9 minutes to simulate and only a minute to render. My renders have been extremely fast using the newest Beta release and updated GPU drivers.

GUI Dforce.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 666K
    Post edited by Kharma on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    edited May 2020

Hello Kharma. I opened this thread out of curiosity, it brought me to the first page, and I would like to tell you that I love your first render with the girl and the cat. The composition is perfect, and the expression of the girl is great. You really did a good job with posing the cat.

Only after a while did I notice it was from 2013.laugh I know you are now in a completely different league than 7 years ago, but that first render made me smile warmly, as I could immediately imagine the girl talking to the cat.

Post edited by watchdog79 on

@watchdog79 thank you so much for your kind words, I appreciate you taking the time to view my work.  That render of the girl and cat I believe was done pre - iray and everything since is iray which makes a world of difference in lighting my scenes, but I am definitely still learning everyday :)

Gui looks good! I love his expression. 

Thanks @Novica, I am working on  the stash of items I have  accumulated but never tried.

edited June 2020

Something new ...FWSA Hailey for Teen Kaylee 8 with Ultra Iray Ambience Lighting by Colm Jackson Hair is Blair Hair by AprilYSH another favorite

Hailey.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 853K
    Post edited by Kharma on
    edited June 2020

Did this a few days ago but the forum wouldn't let me upload it, just sat there saying  uploading image.  I tried several different times but finally gave up ..  first time that's happened to me, anyone have that issue before?

Since it's been several days I  am not sure what items I was trying out, but I was testing out dforce, both the dress and hair were dforce items and so far I have had good luck with any dforce items I have tried, no explosions and the simulations have run quite quickly. Lighting was another test of something I've had forever and never tried.  When I recall what I used I will add them to the comments, sorry.

Just found out from another post that you can't have an & in the filename.

Botan - dforce dress hair.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 670K
    Post edited by Kharma on

I'm surfing through the threads and don't know how I missed this one earlier this summer, I love the carefree posing and lighting. Nicely done!  I hate it when I don't save a scene and then can't remember the lighting I used, I've done that several times. I'll change the lighting to do a different scene / character, save it, then go, "Oops!" (also forgetting the outfit and hair....)   I found out the hard way about file names, I either had a period or that symbol and mine was rejected too. Of course I thought it was just Daz being Daz lol. 

Looking forward to seeing more renders! Been awhile.

edited January 2021

it's been a long while since I worked on anything, my attention has been all over trying new things and getting frustrated in the process. With the new Victoria 8.1 out I am focusing my attention on trying to learn this new skin shader and how to get my large library of products reinstalled so I know what I have before buying more.

So here is my new Vicky tests so far, and yes lighting is still my biggest PITA.

Just a close up of V8.1 with a few adjustments, testing some expressions

V8.1 PL 2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 763K
    Post edited by Kharma on
    edited January 2021

Here's a scene I was working on with a few additional learning curves, running a dforce simulation on the dress seemed to work out ok, but again a struggle with the lighting, I added a spot light to mkae the face pop a bit not sure if that's the right thing to do...

V8.1 light test.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 810K
    Post edited by Kharma on

Kharma, do you have the Pro-Studio light set? I use that a LOT and they even work well with many of the sets. I have the 2 and 3, but always return to the original set. If you don't have them, you might want to keep an eye out during MM and see if they get deeply discounted.