Carrara Challenge 45: Extinction and De-extinction! Less than two days to go!

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited February 2019
    Tynkere said:
    MAJourney said:

it's not just a bird, its not just a big bird, it's a...lightning bird?

The Phoenix?  Some say there’s a bit of truth, or at least a lesson in every myth.  : )

---

@Headwax
    Thanks for the help.  Lifted H2O settings from a Tango Alpha’s “Medieval Hall & Garden DS.”  Tweaked them a little, and added suggested normal map from it.  Suggested .jpg sky backdrop and have better color along with shadows.  Obviously still needs improvement but I learned a lot participating in the challenge.  

best 

wow that looks ultra superb - you are a quick learner and a fine artist ! the leaves are a special touch

there's a small thread ab out normals here (what is normal I ask you!) - not sure if it is relevant - could be of interest

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/144721/bump-and-normal-map-comparison-examples-in-carrara/p1

Tynkere said:

Post edited by Headwax on

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

Just ridiculous.  Such skill.

thanks! lucky it was a rainy day ;)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited February 2019

- Headwax - these are stunning entries.  Kids in the museum with three extinct homos hits the nail on the head.  

- Dudu - speaking of hitting the head, very well done, not an enjoyable image, but great.  Strong composition.

- MAJourney - love the juxtaposition of the archers and the bird.  Lightning is an awesome touch!

- Tymkere - trashy water looks most foul, which is perfect.  Great idea to check out the settings and similar in products by Tango Alpha and others. You learned Carrara's renderer very quickly.  Now so many more functions to explore!

Hope I didn't forget anyone since my last update.  It seems like UB and Stezza had complete entries before I had my first practical idea.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited February 2019

Here is an update of my maize garden.  The background render is complete and gets placed in the BACKDROP (not background) slot of the scene settings.  The light direction, the camera position, and the terrain model are retained from the first render.  The terrain model has its resolution reduced to save resources and the terrai shader is changed to a shadow catcher.  I've placed some maize plants in the garden.

- still need the other two "sisters" of ancient maize cultivation, which is some form of squash between the stalks and a vine plant (such as beans) attached to the corn stalks.  Will probably use pumpkin for the squash and tomato for the vine plant.

scene setup combined.JPG
    1863 x 949 - 198K
    002 test combined wip corn.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 724K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Here is an update of my maize garden.  The background render is complete and gets placed in the BACKDROP (not background) slot of the scene settings.  The light direction, the camera position, and the terrain model are retained from the first render.  The terrain model has its resolution reduced to save resources and the terrai shader is changed to a shadow catcher.  I've placed some maize plants in the garden.

- still need the other two "sisters" of ancient maize cultivation, which is some form of squash between the stalks and a vine plant (such as beans) attached to the corn stalks.  Will probably use pumpkin for the squash and tomato for the vine plant.

Making progress, looking forward to the final render !!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the extinction of wheat  the way god made it

coming along wonderfully, I can see a fertil crescent popping up :) 

its good to see a work like this develop from start to finish

thanks for your kind remarks on my work

edited March 2019

here's an de-extinction job

Monkey God

monkeygod.jpg
    2000 x 2400 - 5M
    edited March 2019

Headwax - Monkey god is another fantastic render!  Its almost like this theme inspires for you!  yes

I had done a Planet of the Apes homage using a recent Tango Alpha set so had been thinking along the same lines recently.  Needless to say, yours rocks!  (as Dart would say)

Thinking cap still on for de-extinction.  Apparently, the gray wolves were on the endangered list but have made a big come back.  Maybe two wolves doing the dirty deed?  AM has some excellent wolves.  Would that violate TOS?

I am attaching a couple short pdfs on sustainability from my ecologist buddy.  Might inspire something by somebody.  Over lunch, he told me some de-extinction ideas that involved bacteria, pox diseases, and similar, so don't bother talking to him - just read his stuff.  Bacteria - sheesh.surprise

pdf
    pdf
    Ron 1 Campellone et al - Landscape_conservation_design_and_the_iC (2).pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    Ron 2 Campellone et al - Landscape_conservation_design_and_the_iC (2).pdf
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499
    edited March 2019

Chqanged a few thingsw. Lighning postworked in hitfilm. lnl

image00.png
    2731 x 2048 - 4M
    Post edited by VIArts on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited March 2019

Way better MA.  Glad you stuck with it.  Nice work!

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited March 2019

+1

excellent results, and was there a change in camera angle and aspect ratio?  Looks more dramatic as well.  yesyes

ightning postworked

+1

excellent results, and was there a change in camera angle and aspect ratio?  Looks more dramatic as well.  yesyes

Thanks guys!

No, I didn't change the camera angle or aspect ratio..;.unless it did and i don't see it. I saved my camera position so I can jump back to it, because things tend to get knocked out of place.

I am seeing it on my IPad, which might distort it a little.  In any case, looking great!

Here is another potential inspiration.  The definition of de-extinction at the top of the thread leaves open the possibility of including directed evolution, maybe.

How about putting human brains in rats?

https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/609354/tiny-human-brains-inside-rats-are-sparking-ethical-concern/

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Here is another potential inspiration.  The definition of de-extinction at the top of the thread leaves open the possibility of including directed evolution, maybe.

How about putting human brains in rats?

https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/609354/tiny-human-brains-inside-rats-are-sparking-ethical-concern/

those skinner box bars will be typing out binary as they plot world domination 

edited March 2019

I am seeing it on my IPad, which might distort it a little.  In any case, looking great!

I don't know how to figure Carrara's default ratio,but I see most ipads use a 16:9 ratio. Also, I'm not a hundred percent sure what to set "resolution" to.

Post edited by VIArts on
    MAJourney said:

Very nice !!!

edited March 2019
    MAJourney said:

I don't know how to figure Carrara's default ratio,but I see most ipads use a 16:9 ratio. Also, I'm not a hundred percent sure what to set "resolution" to.

http://www.iosres.com/index-legacy.html

1. Click on Render Room icon

2. Click on Output tab

3. Adjust Width & Height proportions, untick Keep Proportions if entering a different width/height ratio

Render 1.png
    2264 x 1038 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    MAJourney said:

a lot of my renders I set to 800 x 450 then I just adjust if I want to make a wallpaper with keep proportions ticked...

then upsizing to 1920 auto adjusts... the image for my desktop wallpaper.

I also at times untick Keep Proportions in the Output tab of the render room then go back to the Assebly room and drag the window by the bottom RH corner to the size I want.. then go back and tick the Keep Proportions again to keep it.

iPads are around 800 x 600 pixels or a multiple of that.. which is the standard startup of a Carrara image.

MAJourney said:

http://www.iosres.com/index-legacy.html

1. Click on Render Room icon

2. Click on Output tab

3. Adjust Width & Height proportions, untick Keep Proportions if entering a different width/height ratio

I know that.v i just meant i don'[t know what the default ratio is. lol But i decided to re-render at 16:9

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

we posted at the same time lol ... smiley

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

your renders look fine on my ipad air 2 clicked to full size in landscape position 

this forum in portrait mode on Safari distorts everything but I always click renders, uploads and any image links etc even if one embedded 

here's an de-extinction job

Monkey God

This is a perfect 40's sci-fi magazine cover.  If you can find a time machine, you definitely got the job!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

another job for the hairy tomato

hya Diomede et UB, thanks for your kind comments. I was particularly happy with that one, though the monkey's hand has poke through glass I see !

Diomede thanks for those ideas, will check em out this arvo - as we say in oz ;)

Mystarra - indeed. the hairty tomato shall strike again!

MAJourney said:

MAJourney - that's superb - you really did a good jobe evoking the drama odf the situation.!

edited March 2019

Only two days to go before the entry thread opens....

"The Death of Mavis, the Last Genetically Modified Gigantoraptor - Killed Accidentally by Cedric The Sous-Wizard While Eating Breakfast"

Backstory: Well, this is Bruce The Wizard's brother, Cedric the Sous-Wizard (note his Sous-Wizard hat having only one round thingy on the top). Cedric is a lousy cook so, seven months ago, he was sent out to the family Dinosaur Zoo farm to look after the Giant Yellow Bellied Pseudopod's.

It's a long story and doesn't have a happy ending, so we'll go there first ( Wolf Hall is about to start on the Televish and I need to know what happens to Anne Boleyn, now that Thomas More has had the axe).

Cedric being more than kind, shares his cooking with an unsuspecting Mavis who is allergic to French unpasteurised Goat's cheese. Mavis, suffers a cataclysmic analyphylactic reaction to her right kidney and dies within three minutes.

Lucky it's a Monday, and the Dino Zoo is not open to the public.

Cedric has 18 hours, fifteen minutes and twelve seconds to hide the body. Wish him luck....

Untitled-1smaller.jpg
    2000 x 1444 - 3M
    Untitled-1croppedsmaller.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 4M
    edited March 2019

When Falls the Last Human Queen

This is a reworked image I originally did in DS before getting Carrara.

Characters are Genesis Gorilla and V3.

Clothing includes a retextured Dragonlord for Genesis, and a kitbash for V3 including some free 3rd party armor items (Paladin, Capricornio) and Battle Maiden for V4.  Hair is Mon Chevalier.

Albion Barbarian Axe is also a freebie.

Carrara processes include Realistic Sky, Clouds, and Text (for sig).  Plugins are GMIC and Toon3 (used sparingly).

For landscape, rather than a Carrara terrain, I went with an old Daz/Poser product, Lunar Craters Moonscape by First Bastion.  I've always liked how it looks.

No postwork.

When Falls the Last Human Queen.png
    1700 x 982 - 3M
    When Falls Carrara setup.JPG
    1657 x 943 - 211K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Lots of drama and pretty scary - there's a great movie poster there UB!!! Impressed there is no post work.