[Released] RSSY Clothing Converter from Michael 4 to Genesis 8 Male [Commercial]

Comments

• JOdel said:

Worth downloading and making another attempt. Is it likely to be live yet?

No, I would expect it mid-week next week.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

Will keep an eye on the thread.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869
    JOdel said:

While we are all waiting for the update, could you please consider request for the another product.

As you know, Face Transfer was released by Daz3D and it was exactly what, I was looking after.

It is based on the same technology, that I have available in Unity.

However it has some problems with the lips created from the photos

They are too flat.

I do not know, if it is possible, but I think, if one could create some corrective morphs (maybe SickleYield could do)

and then applying them with your scripts would make face transfer more appealing.

Maybe there are some other improvements, that could be done, as well.

I am only not so sure, if such product will be economically viable.

All the best for You and SickleYield.

• Artini said:
    JOdel said:

While we are all waiting for the update, could you please consider request for the another product.

As you know, Face Transfer was released by Daz3D and it was exactly what, I was looking after.

It is based on the same technology, that I have available in Unity.

However it has some problems with the lips created from the photos

They are too flat.

I do not know, if it is possible, but I think, if one could create some corrective morphs (maybe SickleYield could do)

and then applying them with your scripts would make face transfer more appealing.

Maybe there are some other improvements, that could be done, as well.

I am only not so sure, if such product will be economically viable.

All the best for You and SickleYield.

Hi @Artini.  Thanks, I will mention it to Sickleyield.

edited October 2019

Oooookay... I've got a question.

Aren't converted items supposed to *stay* converted? Isn't the program supposed to be able to remember them so they load again when we want to use them? Or are we expected to need to re-convert them about a third of the time when we try to load them again?

I built a new content library specifically for converted items. And I made sure it was at the top of my library list, so anything converted would land there and not go wandering off into some other library's data folder. 

I've put in a couple of days converting clothing items (I'll give you a rundown of how that's been going after I explain what I'm dealing with now). For the most part it's gone better than not. I convert things, I then go to the People directory and check whether the converted items are there, and then I load them to see what I've got, if anything.

For the most part it seems to have worked. The item generally loads. I'd probably need to spend a deal of time with the converter morphs to make it fit properly (and *thank you* for those converter morphs. The upper back adjustment alone is something that ought to come with most clothing items as a standard feature), but I'm not dealing with any of that just yet. I'm just testing to see whether the item actually converted.

Sometimes items haven't. (Usually belts, for some inknown reason. They claim to have loaded, but there is nothing actually *there*) Sometimes trying to load something crashes Studio (usually something from Xurge). Rather a lot of times the item loads and has no textures, but that's no more than I expect, since I haven't moved the textures over from their original library yet.

Two days later, I try again and the item loads as grey blocks. I haven't touched anything. I haven't gone into the data folder and moved anything. The item simply no longer appears to exist as a clothing item. The program has stopped regognizing it as such. It seems to know that something is there, but it desn't know what. This isn't a scattered random occurance. This is about a third of all of the items that I've spent a couple of days converting. They were there, and loadable when I first did it, and now they are not.

Have you any idea of what is going on here? Any suggestions? Like I say, I haven't touched the data folder. Anything that was there ought to still be there.

I've been doing these conversions in 4.12, but since it's a script in a content library, the content library would be accessible to any other version of the program on my computer. I could probably step back and do conversions in 4.11 if necessary. But the items need to be recognized by 4.12, since eventually I'll be phasing out the older version.

As to the conversions themselves; they seem to be going quite reasonably well. I've found, to not a lot of surprise, that flat shoes convert without issue. So flat-soled boots, moccasins, and most sandals come in usable, and without distortion. The boots and moccasins are definitely usable, the sandals' problem is that they tend to obviously not quite fit the feet, but are rather too big and the soles are hovering somewhere below the figure's feet with an obvious airspace between the two. Undoubtedly this is due to their being fitted to the template rather than the figure, like I say I've not yet tried to fine tune the fit of anything with the convertor morphs, so that may turn out be a non-issue.

I've continued to run the script on gen3 items when I run across them (some of my clothing libraries are organized acto genre rather than figure). I find that the script is mostly usable for M3 items. Those usually come in fairly well, if they are relatively close-fitting. Admittedly, something like the old M3 wizarding robe with it's hanging sleeves was a disaster. But then, so was the M4 Windy Wizard. 

D3 items not so much. David 3 was sufficiently smaller than M3 that although the clothing converts, I couldn't get it reasonably fitted to G8M. I think the only thing from D3 that I've managed to have come in usable was a pair of spats/gatiers and that with a deal of scaling and repositioning. I've not even made an attempt to convert anything of Hiro's. And any kid items, either K4 or the gen3 kids items are a dead loss, unfortunately. I can autofit the K4 stuff as far up as G3 (depending onn the morph) and save them as wearable presets, but the script doesn't deal with those.

Wrist frills and shoes of M3 items where the shoes ae a part of the pants are also a dead loss. With the shoes, I can see that the script is overcorrecting the foot position, because gen3 loaded with flat feet, rather than the stupid pointed toe stance. I also suspect that gen3 loaded with its feet farther apart. I need to dial down the general conversion morph on most M3 pants to about 60%. There also tends to be a problem with a good deal of distortion at the back of the arms, although slight manual repositioning upping the smoothing iterations seems to help clear that up. I haven't yet tried to see what it does when posed.

However, in the same way that the hand bone on the wrist frills becomes unusable after conversion, so does the toes bone on M3 shoes. So the only thing to do is turn them off and use other shoes, or in the case of actual shoes, use my old dodge of loading a pair of shoes twice (if it loads as a pair), making one shoe of each pair invisible, scaling and parenting the visible one to the figure's foot and making the foot invisible. You have to pose the shoes manually, but it will usually work for a still image.

All in all, if I can find a way to make converted items *stay* converted, this script is well worth the investment. I'll be looking forward to seeing how the G1->G8M script does when it isn't having to deal with the stupid pointed toes.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • JOdel said:

Oooookay... I've got a question.

Aren't converted items supposed to *stay* converted? Isn't the program supposed to be able to remember them so they load again when we want to use them? Or are we expected to need to re-convert them about a third of the time when we try to load them again?

I built a new content library specifically for converted items. And I made sure it was at the top of my library list, so anything converted would land there and not go wandering off into some other library's data folder. 

I've put in a couple of days converting clothing items (I'll give you a rundown of how that's been going after I explain what I'm dealing with now). For the most part it's gone better than not. I convert things, I then go to the People directory and check whether the converted items are there, and then I load them to see what I've got, if anything.

For the most part it seems to have worked. The item generally loads. I'd probably need to spend a deal of time with the converter morphs to make it fit properly (and *thank you* for those converter morphs. The upper back adjustment alone is something that ought to come with most clothing items as a standard feature), but I'm not dealing with any of that just yet. I'm just testing to see whether the item actually converted.

Sometimes items haven't. (Usually belts, for some inknown reason. They claim to have loaded, but there is nothing actually *there*) Sometimes trying to load something crashes Studio (usually something from Xurge). Rather a lot of times the item loads and has no textures, but that's no more than I expect, since I haven't moved the textures over from their original library yet.

Two days later, I try again and the item loads as grey blocks. I haven't touched anything. I haven't gone into the data folder and moved anything. The item simply no longer appears to exist as a clothing item. The program has stopped regognizing it as such. It seems to know that something is there, but it desn't know what. This isn't a scattered random occurance. This is about a third of all of the items that I've spent a couple of days converting. They were there, and loadable when I first did it, and now they are not.

Have you any idea of what is going on here? Any suggestions? Like I say, I haven't touched the data folder. Anything that was there ought to still be there.

I've been doing these conversions in 4.12, but since it's a script in a content library, the content library would be accessible to any other version of the program on my computer. I could probably step back and do conversions in 4.11 if necessary. But the items need to be recognized by 4.12, since eventually I'll be phasing out the older version.

As to the conversions themselves; they seem to be going quite reasonably well. I've found, to not a lot of surprise, that flat shoes convert without issue. So flat-soled boots, moccasins, and most sandals come in usable, and without distortion. The boots and moccasins are definitely usable, the sandals' problem is that they tend to obviously not quite fit the feet, but are rather too big and the soles are hovering somewhere below the figure's feet with an obvious airspace between the two. Undoubtedly this is due to their being fitted to the template rather than the figure, like I say I've not yet tried to fine tune the fit of anything with the convertor morphs, so that may turn out be a non-issue.

I've continued to run the script on gen3 items when I run across them (some of my clothing libraries are organized acto genre rather than figure). I find that the script is mostly usable for M3 items. Those usually come in fairly well, if they are relatively close-fitting. Admittedly, something like the old M3 wizarding robe with it's hanging sleeves was a disaster. But then, so was the M4 Windy Wizard. 

D3 items not so much. David 3 was sufficiently smaller than M3 that although the clothing converts, I couldn't get it reasonably fitted to G8M. I think the only thing from D3 that I've managed to have come in usable was a pair of spats/gatiers and that with a deal of scaling and repositioning. I've not even made an attempt to convert anything of Hiro's. And any kid items, either K4 or the gen3 kids items are a dead loss, unfortunately. I can autofit the K4 stuff as far up as G3 (depending onn the morph) and save them as wearable presets, but the script doesn't deal with those.

Wrist frills and shoes of M3 items where the shoes ae a part of the pants are also a dead loss. With the shoes, I can see that the script is overcorrecting the foot position, because gen3 loaded with flat feet, rather than the stupid pointed toe stance. I also suspect that gen3 loaded with its feet farther apart. I need to dial down the general conversion morph on most M3 pants to about 60%. There also tends to be a problem with a good deal of distortion at the back of the arms, although slight manual repositioning upping the smoothing iterations seems to help clear that up. I haven't yet tried to see what it does when posed.

However, in the same way that the hand bone on the wrist frills becomes unusable after conversion, so does the toes bone on M3 shoes. So the only thing to do is turn them off and use other shoes, or in the case of actual shoes, use my old dodge of loading a pair of shoes twice (if it loads as a pair), making one shoe of each pair invisible, scaling and parenting the visible one to the figure's foot and making the foot invisible. You have to pose the shoes manually, but it will usually work for a still image.

All in all, if I can find a way to make converted items *stay* converted, this script is well worth the investment. I'll be looking forward to seeing how the G1->G8M script does when it isn't having to deal with the stupid pointed toes.

Yes, they are supposed to stay converted.  The gray blocks are frustrating as I don't understand exactly why it occurs.  According to googling the forums, the gray blocks mean some of the non-user facing files (morphs, etc) went to the wrong place.  When you convert a clothing item, the non-user facing files go into a Data directory under the first directory of Daz Studio Formats in the Content Directory Manager.  If you are messing around with moving directories, Daz is losing the ability to find these non-user facing files.  Within the same Daz session (i.e., you have not closed and restarted DS) of the clothing conversion, I believe Daz remembers where the items went even if they went to the wrong place.   After you close and restart Daz, it tries to find them again and cannot find them.

For the shoes, a LOT of them can be fixed by using the Foot Pose Dialog.  It is tedious but it can be done.

Thank you for posting about converting M3, D3, etc.  I am sure a lot of people are interested in how it works with olded generations.

edited October 2019

For M3 clothes it's hit-or-miss, but hits a bit more often than it misses. *However*, there is a big "but" involved.

I haven't started trying to fit any of these things to the figure using the conversion morphs yet, but for a number of things there is major distortion at the end of long sleeves. They tend to bell out in a very odd manner. It doesn't happen with everyting, so I suspect the quality of the original mesh plays a part. Anything with wrist frills is a dead loss unless the frills have a matt zone and can be turned off. But sleeves without such frills may not be salvagable, since there is no connection to the hand bone in the rig, so you can't select and scale them. I don't yet know if the morphs can touch it. Smoothing may help with the warping, but probably won't do anything about the spread into a bell sleeve. The distortion is in the z-axis, and not all that obvious if you are looking at it head on.

I'll see if the program can still find some of these and post screenshots later on.

I am very much hoping that I'll be able to get usable conversions of a lot of these, since they are for the most part special purpose items such as period clothing, and a lot of that doesn't get repeated for later generations.

ETA: Okay, I took screenshots of one of the ones which was a good example. It's from an old set called RT Pashas for M3 which was at Rendo, and has probably gone clearance/disappearance by now. I have NO idea bout what it would do if posed.

Pasha-1.jpg
    773 x 991 - 61K
    Pasha-2.jpg
    508 x 1034 - 52K
    Post edited by JOdel on
  • RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,372
    edited October 2019
    JOdel said:

For M3 clothes it's hit-or-miss, but hits a bit more often than it misses. *However*, there is a big "but" involved.

I haven't started trying to fit any of these things to the figure using the conversion morphs yet, but for a number of things there is major distortion at the end of long sleeves. They tend to bell out in a very odd manner. It doesn't happen with everyting, so I suspect the quality of the original mesh plays a part. Anything with wrist frills is a dead loss unless the frills have a matt zone and can be turned off. But sleeves without such frills may not be salvagable, since there is no connection to the hand bone in the rig, so you can't select and scale them. I don't yet know if the morphs can touch it. Smoothing may help with the warping, but probably won't do anything about the spread into a bell sleeve. The distortion is in the z-axis, and not all that obvious if you are looking at it head on.

I'll see if the program can still find some of these and post screenshots later on.

I am very much hoping that I'll be able to get usable conversions of a lot of these, since they are for the most part special purpose items such as period clothing, and a lot of that doesn't get repeated for later generations.

ETA: Okay, I took screenshots of one of the ones which was a good example. It's from an old set called RT Pashas for M3 which was at Rendo, and has probably gone clearance/disappearance by now. I have NO idea bout what it would do if posed.

They are probably going beyond the influence of the conformer.  Selecting a different conformer *might* help in special cases.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

Huh. I may try that with something other than the bodysuit conformer. As you can see, the pants of that set did fine. 

At present I'm a little more concerned with being able to keep things from turning into grey boxes overnight. I'm beginning to wonder if things would stay converted more readily if I moved the content library of the original clothing to the top of the list of libraries, installed the scripts and what all into that specific library and then moved the library back into it's place in the list when I was finished. It would mean installing the scripts into every library that has things I'd like to convert, but it's not like they take up a lot of disk space.

That would keep the converted clothing in the same library as the original geometry files, if it's somehow looking for those. On my end it would mean going hunting through libraries for the converted stuff, but I'm hunting through libraries anyway if I'm trying to autofit rather than loading something that presumably is converted.

I realize that a lot of this issue is because I organize content into different libraries by my own categories rather than accepting default placements, but this way I know where I put things.

• JOdel said:

Huh. I may try that with something other than the bodysuit conformer. As you can see, the pants of that set did fine. 

At present I'm a little more concerned with being able to keep things from turning into grey boxes overnight. I'm beginning to wonder if things would stay converted more readily if I moved the content library of the original clothing to the top of the list of libraries, installed the scripts and what all into that specific library and then moved the library back into it's place in the list when I was finished. It would mean installing the scripts into every library that has things I'd like to convert, but it's not like they take up a lot of disk space.

That would keep the converted clothing in the same library as the original geometry files, if it's somehow looking for those. On my end it would mean going hunting through libraries for the converted stuff, but I'm hunting through libraries anyway if I'm trying to autofit rather than loading something that presumably is converted.

I realize that a lot of this issue is because I organize content into different libraries by my own categories rather than accepting default placements, but this way I know where I put things.

The scripts do not need to be in the same library.  That is not the problem.  Once the script has converted something, it has nothing to do with it.  My version of the clothes do not have the original geometry, which is in Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/..., in the same path as my converted clothing, which is in Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/...  The Content Directory Manager knows about both directories under Daz Studio Formats (with Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library first) and they share the same structure, i.e., data, runtime, people directories etc.  If you don't have the correct directory structure, that can fool Daz pretty badly.  

• I'm having an issue with this.

Forearms are coming in wrong on every item if the morph is more extreme.  The Brute 8 and any cartoony characters for example.  It's like the rigging doesn't follow the morph.  The fixes don't help since the items are in the wrong place.

Problem.PNG
    771 x 768 - 215K

The Converter morph repositions the arms and legs from the T pose to the A pose and has a good deal of extra leeway. Would dilaing that up a bit shift the orientation enough for the expansion morphs to do their job? Or is it an all in one item where fixing the arms would lose the legs?

• Cedworth said:

I'm having an issue with this.

Forearms are coming in wrong on every item if the morph is more extreme.  The Brute 8 and any cartoony characters for example.  It's like the rigging doesn't follow the morph.  The fixes don't help since the items are in the wrong place.

If none of the morphs work, use Smoothing and Push Modifier.

• JOdel said:

The Converter morph repositions the arms and legs from the T pose to the A pose and has a good deal of extra leeway. Would dilaing that up a bit shift the orientation enough for the expansion morphs to do their job? Or is it an all in one item where fixing the arms would lose the legs?

That actually kinda worked.  I still had to make a small morph to take it the rest of the way though.  It's a 30 second fix, and I don't use these big beefy characters too much anyway so it's not a big deal.  Thanks.

I may lose the legs doing that, but I have very few outfits with both arms and legs so they can have a separate value.  The legs have been working perfectly, even for the weird characters.  Better than the default tools.

Also, the smoothing modifier is stronger than I thought.  If I crank it up a bit, it looks perfectly fine.  I'll take it.  Thanks guys. 

It does make me want a script to disable smoothing in viewport and keep it as set for renders though.

• Cedworth said:
    JOdel said:

That actually kinda worked.  I still had to make a small morph to take it the rest of the way though.  It's a 30 second fix, and I don't use these big beefy characters too much anyway so it's not a big deal.  Thanks.

I may lose the legs doing that, but I have very few outfits with both arms and legs so they can have a separate value.  The legs have been working perfectly, even for the weird characters.  Better than the default tools.

Also, the smoothing modifier is stronger than I thought.  If I crank it up a bit, it looks perfectly fine.  I'll take it.  Thanks guys. 

It does make me want a script to disable smoothing in viewport and keep it as set for renders though.

You're welcome!  I am glad it is working for you.

• SaraTSaraT Posts: 58

Love this product, and I've used it on many clothing items with great success. One question--I'm currently trying to convert Wildenlander for m4 and it has these shoulder pads that are supposed to be stiff, but after conversion they end up bending and following the figure. Is there any manual way to fix or work around that? Thanks!

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

Don't convert, parent them? Same as you would like any ridged armour.

• SaraT said:

Love this product, and I've used it on many clothing items with great success. One question--I'm currently trying to convert Wildenlander for m4 and it has these shoulder pads that are supposed to be stiff, but after conversion they end up bending and following the figure. Is there any manual way to fix or work around that? Thanks!

Unfortunately no.  The way the conversion works is to load a conformer to morph the clothing from the M4 shape to the G8M shape.  There is no way to tell the conformer to ignore some geometry.

• SaraTSaraT Posts: 58

I was afraid of that, but thanks for the quick answer!

Regarding parenting vs converting, it's only the shoulder pads that are stiff, the rest needs to be fitted, and the pads still need to follow arm movements. It kind of works for "easy" poses to create multiple armors and hiding everything but the pads and then moving the two extra armors manually until it looks ok, but it's a pain. I think I'll stick with m4 for now.

• SaraT said:

I was afraid of that, but thanks for the quick answer!

Regarding parenting vs converting, it's only the shoulder pads that are stiff, the rest needs to be fitted, and the pads still need to follow arm movements. It kind of works for "easy" poses to create multiple armors and hiding everything but the pads and then moving the two extra armors manually until it looks ok, but it's a pain. I think I'll stick with m4 for now.

You're welcome.  Sorry it is not the answer you wanted smiley

Necro Thread, I know. 

However, something just occured to me. I've had no end of problems converting gen4 clothing and having it *stay* converted. All too often, I'll convert an item, and it will convert just fine. But the next time I try to use it, it will come in as grey boxes. The converted data files are right where the script left them. Nothing has been touched. But the program no longer recognizes them at all.

Might saving the item as a wearable preset (or some other format) as soon as it's been converted manage to do an end run around this problem? Has anyone tried this? Can the wearable preset be autofitted to a different figure? Rather a lot of things that I want to have converted are used for both male and female figures.

JOdel said:

Necro Thread, I know. 

However, something just occured to me. I've had no end of problems converting gen4 clothing and having it *stay* converted. All too often, I'll convert an item, and it will convert just fine. But the next time I try to use it, it will come in as grey boxes. The converted data files are right where the script left them. Nothing has been touched. But the program no longer recognizes them at all.

Might saving the item as a wearable preset (or some other format) as soon as it's been converted manage to do an end run around this problem? Has anyone tried this? Can the wearable preset be autofitted to a different figure? Rather a lot of things that I want to have converted are used for both male and female figures.

I am not having your issue.  I've seen it occur, but very. very infrequently.  Is it only on the gen4 converters?

I have not tried the wearable preset idea.

It's consistently nearly all of my gen4 conversions. They rarely survive overnight on my machine. Might as well be fairy gold.

And a number of things that converted in the the first attempt, have refused to do so afterwards. A handful of the things I want to port do still autofit acceptably, but I use them as components for continuing works, and I am not sure how much longer that is going to be the case. I'd rather have G8 versions that can move up with the figure technology.

Genesis 1 and later conversions all seem to be fairly stable. I might get grey boxes occasionally. But I get that with unconverted content occasionally.

JOdel said:

It's consistently nearly all of my gen4 conversions. They rarely survive overnight on my machine. Might as well be fairy gold.

And a number of things that converted in the the first attempt, have refused to do so afterwards. A handful of the things I want to port do still autofit acceptably, but I use them as components for continuing works, and I am not sure how much longer that is going to be the case. I'd rather have G8 versions that can move up with the figure technology.

Genesis 1 and later conversions all seem to be fairly stable. I might get grey boxes occasionally. But I get that with unconverted content occasionally.

Ok, that is good information to know.  That helps narrow the problem down.  Is there anything else you can think of, like types of garments that it happens more often?

A number of of specific items that refuse to survive. Mostly period clothing, which is the kind of thing that once you find a good set, you *use* it, because a newer version is NOT a replacement.:

For M4 (There are V4 things that pull the same trick, but this is the M4 thread.)

Francis Cofil's Tales of Adventure; Legends coat and sash. I'd appreciate the cuffs as well, but those have balked from the beginning. This is an item which I have a continuing need for since I use it *a lot*. It autofits, but it's dicy.

Several of Esha's sets: Dancar, Musketeer, Roccoco

RPublishing did a great Zoot Suit, and the coat seems to come over, but the pants won't convert or authofit. I think someone would need to haul those into a modeling program to get them to work. 

And, of course, a whole slew of Xurge's stuff.

There are quite a few others, but I've had such poor results that I've rather given up on most of them.

JOdel said:

A number of of specific items that refuse to survive. Mostly period clothing, which is the kind of thing that once you find a good set, you *use* it, because a newer version is NOT a replacement.:

For M4 (There are V4 things that pull the same trick, but this is the M4 thread.)

Francis Cofil's Tales of Adventure; Legends coat and sash. I'd appreciate the cuffs as well, but those have balked from the beginning. This is an item which I have a continuing need for since I use it *a lot*. It autofits, but it's dicy.

Several of Esha's sets: Dancar, Musketeer, Roccoco

RPublishing did a great Zoot Suit, and the coat seems to come over, but the pants won't convert or authofit. I think someone would need to haul those into a modeling program to get them to work. 

And, of course, a whole slew of Xurge's stuff.

There are quite a few others, but I've had such poor results that I've rather given up on most of them.

I am using Roccoco with no problems.  The research I've seen is that the gray blocks occur because DS cannot find the .dsf, either because paths are wrong in Daz Studio Formats or read/write permissions are wrong on those folders.  One thread kinda suggested that Mac's tightening up of directories for security can cause problems.  Are you on a Mac or PC?  

I'm on a Mac. Running Mojave. No intention of upgrading to Catalina or beyond until I have to replace the computer.

Since I don't *use* gen4 at all any more, it wouldn't actually be a hardship to move the runtime components into the runtime of the same folder as the conversions. But that's a fair amount of work that I'm not looking forward to at all if it isn't likely to solve the problem. I suppose I'll try moving the Tales of Adventure, or Dancar set as a test case and try reconverting again.

Might not get to it until some time tomorrow though. Will report back if the conversion lasts for, say, a week without reverting.

JOdel said:

I'm on a Mac. Running Mojave. No intention of upgrading to Catalina or beyond until I have to replace the computer.

Since I don't *use* gen4 at all any more, it wouldn't actually be a hardship to move the runtime components into the runtime of the same folder as the conversions. But that's a fair amount of work that I'm not looking forward to at all if it isn't likely to solve the problem. I suppose I'll try moving the Tales of Adventure, or Dancar set as a test case and try reconverting again.

Might not get to it until some time tomorrow though. Will report back if the conversion lasts for, say, a week without reverting.

I wasn't trying to suggest moving the files, just that DS may be pointed to the wrong place or that permissions on directories might be wrong.

edited June 2020

Well, Phase 1 has been done. I copied the Dancar set and Tales of Adventure Legendary onto the runtime folder of the directory for converted clothing items. Then I reconverted them.

Tales of Adventure came through like a champ. There is the usual distortion at the sleeve edges. But this time the cuffs came in fine. If the files survive a week, I think I'll go at the coat with the geometry editor and delete the polys which have the distortions. If the cuffs survive, those will cover the area nicely.

The Dancar set was a mixed bag. The tunic, wristlets, armlets and boots all came in beautifully. The belt phones in an invisible placeholder when I try to load it. It shows up in the scene list, but there is nothing there. The pants flatly refused to convert at all. Grey boxes all the way. I think the only thing that came over is the thumbnail.

Then I shut down the computer and went and ran errands for a few hours. When I rebooted and checked again, everything was as it had been in the first place.

So. Now I think I'll try to hedge my bets and save them also as wearable presets and see how those survive. 

At the moment, I'm going to let everything rest for something like a week and see whether things remain accessible, or if they revert to grey boxes in the intrim.

The real trick, of course, is that I need the Tales of Adventure coat, cuffs, and sash to also fit G8F, since I'm using it as a school uniform. I seem to recall that the cross-gender converter does not work with items which have been converted to G8 from an earlier generation. Like I say, it does autofit. But how long that's going to be the case is problematic.

Post edited by JOdel on
    JOdel said:

Well, Phase 1 has been done. I copied the Dancar set and Tales of Adventure Legendary onto the runtime folder of the directory for converted clothing items. Then I reconverted them.

Tales of Adventure came through like a champ. There is the usual distortion at the sleeve edges. But this time the cuffs came in fine. If the files survive a week, I think I'll go at the coat with the geometry editor and delete the polys which have the distortions. If the cuffs survive, those will cover the area nicely.

The Dancar set was a mixed bag. The tunic, wristlets, armlets and boots all came in beautifully. The belt phones in an invisible placeholder when I try to load it. It shows up in the scene list, but there is nothing there. The pants flatly refused to convert at all. Grey boxes all the way. I think the only thing that came over is the thumbnail.

Then I shut down the computer and went and ran errands for a few hours. When I rebooted and checked again, everything was as it had been in the first place.

So. Now I think I'll try to hedge my bets and save them also as wearable presets and see how those survive. 

At the moment, I'm going to let everything rest for something like a week and see whether things remain accessible, or if they revert to grey boxes in the intrim.

The real trick, of course, is that I need the Tales of Adventure coat, cuffs, and sash to also fit G8F, since I'm using it as a school uniform. I seem to recall that the cross-gender converter does not work with items which have been converted to G8 from an earlier generation. Like I say, it does autofit. But how long that's going to be the case is problematic.

I wonder what happened to the pants, but I am glad the rest seem to have worked.  I will be interested in what you write next week; I hope it is good news. smiley