IRAY Photorealism?

Comments

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Glasses are always tricky in renders.  Not because of the frames... It's the lenses.  (tip for making your frames render better, turn down the smooting angel to 45 degrees)
    I was playing with one of my pairs of glasses trying to get glass shader settings to simulate the distortion caused by perscription lenses.
    I just like how this render turned out.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    Kylie Jenner, for example, has fairly smooth lips

If you look at the reflections in those Kylie Jenner "smooth" lips you see that they are limited to bumps, that's what I was pointing out. While in your rendering the reflections on the lips are much more spread-out, as if it was glass, or an extremely smooth surface. Adding bumps to the lips should avoid that.

Unless it is a fake reflection "baked" in the texture, that is. In this case that texture doesn't fit realistic renderings. You should stay away from textures featuring strong reflections and ambient occlusion in the diffuse channel. Because those may not match with the actual lights in the scene. Though they are quite common in DAZ assets, specially for hair and skin.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,936

Do you have a gallery Jeff? And if so, where is it!? wink

• If you look at the reflections in those Kylie Jenner "smooth" lips you see that they are limited to bumps, that's what I was pointing out. While in your rendering the reflections on the lips are much more spread-out, as if it was glass, or an extremely smooth surface. Adding bumps to the lips should avoid that.

Ah, I see  what you're  saying now. This  figure has  had  problems with  lack  of  bumps  in the lip and  this  render  felt  like the problem was  fixed,  but I see your  point.  

• edited May 2019

This is from a series of images I created to tell the story of the Nutt Flyer, through photos taken for the opening night souvenir program at the Musée de Bludgeons (an imaginary corporate museum displaying the history of my fantasy steampunk corporation, Bludgeon's Best). This is the moment a young curator doing field work finds the first artifacts of the long buried "Flyer", an attempt by a wealthy, misanthropic, and defiantly unscientific amateur inventor to create a steam-powered airplane. The "Flyer" crashed before takeoff, burying itself in this hillside on the brief New Hampshire coastline and had remained undiscovered when this woman, Amity Dabnanigan tracked it down.The Flyer found 

My Daz Gallery 

Post edited by acecombs_b317c01b8d on
  • notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 110

@Jeff Someone-

LOL!  YES!...Very good!  You almost have it with the beach!  

Replace that blue glare with a lightened Gold of some type, this should sim the sun's glare better I am thinking!

***APPPLAUSE**** 

• thomasbrandy287@yahoo.com[email protected] Posts: 58
    edited May 2019

This is Photorealism. Vray.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Kayd2B

Unfortunately, with Iray you can’t achieve a truly realistic performance and the problem is the shaders. With the Vray for example you got a shader for the skin, a brand new one for the hair, a 2side shader, sss shader, AO, noise textures, color modes, etc.

IRay need better support in the shaders deparment.

ian-spriggs-portrait-of-jenn-detail.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 810K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

So iRay best for glass and metal visualization? surprise

• notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 110

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Kayd2B

Unfortunately, with Iray you can’t achieve a truly realistic performance and the problem is the shaders. With the Vray for example you got a shader for the skin, a brand new one for the hair, a 2side shader, sss shader, AO, noise textures, color modes, etc.

IRay need better support in the shaders deparment.

The only thing is that this is a specilized head bust, not an import of a Daz character, right?

I think that would change things a little.  It would be like when people will say that Siren in Unreal Engine 4 is photoreal, thus Unreal can make characters Photo Real.  But, in actual gameplay terms it never is the case because the performance demand of a Siren-like character in-game would overspill the engine's capaxcity for a useable in-game character.

Likewise, an accurate head bust like this would not likely have the flexible engine poseability and morph interactivity that a Daz character would.   It probably has a much higher computation demand on an engine rendering it.  So, it probably serves as a better lighting benchmark when all is said and done.

This is not to diminish the shader, rather to further examine the idea.  Maybe if you imoport a Daz character into Maya/3DS Max, and in there then apply the Vray shaders, it would be a better example of how Vray is better than Iray at giving photoreal. 

edited May 2019

notiusweb said:
    It would be like when people will say that Siren in Unreal Engine 4 is photoreal, thus Unreal can make characters Photo Real.  But, in actual gameplay terms it never is the case because the performance demand of a Siren-like character in-game would overspill the engine's capaxcity for a useable in-game character.

Personally I second Thomas. Photorealism is mainly due to the quality of the shaders. As for UE4 it is quite good on that. Even if it is true that photorealism is resource intensive.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Resources/Showcases/DigitalHumans/index.html

Post edited by Padone on
    edited May 2019

Some more UE4 examples

edit:

or seems it relates to what is posted above, ok

Post edited by akmerlow on
  • MaraunMaraun Posts: 10

The most important thing is geometry and texture. One photorealism head has displacement map that increase polygons to around 5 millions(only the head) and the diffuse map is created with cross polarized photo references.

edited May 2019
    Maraun said:

One photorealism head has displacement map that increase polygons to around 5 millions(only the head)

That depends .. normal maps can be used without subdivision in most cases. While for very extreme closeups having micro displacement and adaptive subdivision greatly helps to reduce the needed poly count. Iray does not support micro displacement. 3DL does. Cycles does.

AFAIK when using a material with tessellation in UE4, adaptive tessellation is enabled by default.

Post edited by Padone on
  • VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551
    edited May 2019

You'd be surprised what you can pull off with Iray/Studio ^_^

P R O M O • 0 3.png
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    P R O M O • 0 8.png
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    P R O M O • 0 6.png
    3840 x 2160 - 8M
    Post edited by Visuimag on

Looks beautiful, though isn't skin a bit too wet on 1 and 3?

Also... "promo"? intrigued..

edited May 2019
    Visuimag said:

Apart a couple of shadow terminator issues due to the strong lights used, those look very nice ! I'd like to see some examples with an actual environment ..

Post edited by Padone on
    Visuimag said:

Brilliant work, yet the cast shadows don't scatter with the skin and makes the overall picture starkly unrealistic ironically enough, that's the limitation of stucio/iray and not the artist!

• daniel.p.dye@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 156
    edited May 2019

Some renders of my latest character:

Vergil_DMC5_Preview_8.png
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    Vergil_DMC5_Preview_7.png
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    Vergil_DMC5_Preview_9_web.png
    800 x 800 - 845K
    Post edited by [email protected] on

Some renders of my latest character:

That's some serious ZBrushing skills ya got going on there!

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551
    Visuimag said:

Brilliant work, yet the cast shadows don't scatter with the skin and makes the overall picture starkly unrealistic ironically enough, that's the limitation of stucio/iray and not the artist!

Eh, nah. I could have done better with the shadows and already have a better version in the works (I'm also a Zbrush artist, so a lot of what I do here is actually not pushed as far as I could take it). You can conjure up near real life photos in Iray, it just takes a little more effort to do so.

And how one can learn of doing these things properly?

Visuimag said:
    Visuimag said:

Eh, nah. I could have done better with the shadows and already have a better version in the works (I'm also a Zbrush artist, so a lot of what I do here is actually not pushed as far as I could take it). You can conjure up near real life photos in Iray, it just takes a little more effort to do so.

ZBrushers need to post more of their artwork here I love getting inspired by their work!

• conscience73conscience73 Posts: 42
    edited June 2019

Greetings to everyone in this thread.

I've been working on a character for some time now - dial spinning.

Of note: It is a quick viewport render. As such, the texture is not completely rendered. My 2GB vram was at its wits end with the subD at 3. Lighting is from a HDRI which may be insufficient.

Requesting critique on the facial structure, what can be seen so far. I'd like to correct before or as I continue. Thanks in advance.

Hmm hmm hmm - edit.png
    879 x 885 - 530K
    Post edited by conscience73 on
  • jeff_someonejeff_someone Posts: 254

Of note: It is a quick viewport render. As such, the texture is not completely rendered. My 2GB vram was at its wits end with the subD at 3. Lighting is from a HDRI which may be insufficient.

Requesting critique on the facial structure, what can be seen so far. I'd like to correct before or as I continue. Thanks in advance.

Facial structure looks nice to me.  Now, when it comes to the render itself let me know when you want feedback...  I've a few minor suggestions...

• jeff_someonejeff_someone Posts: 254

Someone asked me to try outdoors scenes... so, see attached.  Tried to do some HDRI renders with mixed results.  Anyhow, feedback welcome as always.

ZZ_LD04.jpg
    566 x 917 - 94K
    ZZ_LD05.jpg
    566 x 917 - 99K
    ZZ_LD06.jpg
    566 x 917 - 137K
    ZZ_LD07.jpg
    763 x 646 - 132K
    ZZ_LD08.jpg
    1084 x 669 - 170K

Someone asked me to try outdoors scenes... so, see attached.  Tried to do some HDRI renders with mixed results.  Anyhow, feedback welcome as always.

Do you have a gallery anywhere? I love/inspired by your work!

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited June 2019

Good balancing act in image 4, or is someone holding the front wheel off camera.  Just kidding, these are just wonderfull. As takezo_3001 says, "love/inspired" !

Post edited by ProPose on
  • Hun73r3dxHun73r3dx Posts: 38
    edited June 2019

Wow after looking at that i can say i can just stop rendering my stuff is bad

How do you even get that realistic effect wow

Post edited by Hun73r3dx on
  • conscience73conscience73 Posts: 42
    edited June 2019

Facial structure looks nice to me.  Now, when it comes to the render itself let me know when you want feedback...  I've a few minor suggestions...

I may continue tuning the face a bit but it looks alright to me so far too.

I appreciate any and all suggestions, even if it weren't still a WIP. Thanks.

Post edited by conscience73 on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,156

Ive been able to get some pretty realistic renders with daz

click for huge 2500x2500 size these renders have been optimized for web use.with Adobe fireworks for quick loading  under 250 kb each