IRAY Photorealism?

Comments

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064

Someone asked me to try outdoors scenes... so, see attached.  Tried to do some HDRI renders with mixed results.  Anyhow, feedback welcome as always.

Maybe add some shadow-catching?

No footprints in the sand.
    No bicycle tracks in the sand.
    No bicycle shadows.
    No human figure shadows.
    No backlit hair.

• CinusCinus Posts: 118

As always, the hair gives it away somewhat, but I think using hair that hides the hairline helps.

No post processing was done. DAZ render only.

Raquel 2.jpg
    1225 x 1080 - 653K
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,806
    edited June 2019
    Cinus said:

As always, the hair gives it away somewhat, but I think using hair that hides the hairline helps.

Yup, hair is very important, but we're not there yet. It needs that little bit of something.
    A special shader knack maybe?
    still working on it....

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HighElfHighElf Posts: 326
    edited June 2019

Here is my most current attempt on photorealism.

I guess the lighting here is the most prominent give away that it is not a real photo.

autmn.png
    1280 x 720 - 4M
    Post edited by HighElf on
  • chris poolechris poole Posts: 124
    edited June 2019

Genesis 2 Olympia with Bree Skin and NGS.

Crying2.png
    1718 x 1912 - 5M
    Post edited by chris poole on
  • RestifRestif Posts: 61

I am forever trying to achieve some degree of photorealism, sometimes I get closer sometimes not.  Here is one, it is a nude, however, I think her pose covers it. Anyway, thanks everyone for the inspiration!

Use G3F on this.

Adrea nude contemplation post1.jpg
    990 x 881 - 213K
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,806
    edited June 2019

Oh holy cow!!! Good job!!!

Could it be, that you can get closer to photorealism with photometric lights, than with emissive shaders?

Post edited by Masterstroke on
    edited June 2019

Oh holy cow!!! Good job!!!

Could it be, that you can get closer to photorealism with photometric lights, than with emissive shaders?

Possibly so, but the lighting used in the image is HDRI only with a high range.. Thanks for your comment...

Edited to fix quote

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited June 2019
    Restif said:

I am forever trying to achieve some degree of photorealism, sometimes I get closer sometimes not.  Here is one, it is a nude, however, I think her pose covers it. Anyway, thanks everyone for the inspiration!

Use G3F on this.

The image quality is very good, although I rate the overall emotional effect higher with contast of her shape on the stark white BG.

Edited to fix quote

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 550

Beautiful!

edited June 2019
    Protozoon said:

Beautiful!

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it.

Post edited by chris poole on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited June 2019
    Cinus said:

Yup, hair is very important, but we're not there yet. It needs that little bit of something.
    A special shader knack maybe?
    still working on it....

Master,

This is a huge move in the right direction in my opinion. More what one would expect from a physical standpoint. Hopefully you too agree that it looks more natural currently. From a transparency standpoint I'd say the hairs could use a little more "presence" in that the strands might be too transparent. the transparency between the strands isnt the issue, i suspect the strands themselves are transparent likely the mask oer other setting sis lending some transparnecy to the strands themselves. For a more golden look you could increase the saturation, or for a more white look you could decrease the saturation and lighten a little buit. So long as you dont go quite as bright as you had been going in the poast I think it will always look fairly plausible. Great improvement in my view! Thanks for trying our my advice.

• Posted this in the Celebrity Look-a-Likes thread, but thought it would be of interest here too. Work in progress Daisy Ridley likeness for G8F. Hair is a rough kitbash, but I'll tidy it up later. Sculpted and textured in Mudbox, additional hair strands made with Ornatrix:

• edited July 2019

This is a straight Iray render with IBL lighting. I did about half an hour of post work in Photoshop. 

Amity at the dig

My Gallery

amity-at-the-dig_full.jpg
    2200 x 2135 - 2M
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Someone asked me to try outdoors scenes... so, see attached.  Tried to do some HDRI renders with mixed results.  Anyhow, feedback welcome as always.

Hi, Jeff. I saw some of your renders, in this thread and else, and i'm very impressed.

Also i have some thoughts i wanted to share.

I agree that you chose very interesting approach to your scenes. You give them specially that "Lo-Fi" look, which helps with your aim of reaching more realism.

When i see your images, they really look like photos, like photos that were shot on cheap digital cameras (as opposite to proffesional grade SLR or Leica or medium/large format monstrosities). Looks very believable.

I guess Rashad (or smb else too?) already brought up a point about you "making everything look not-clean, not-idealized, not-alluring" and i agree.

Of course, there are more than this in whay you do (like natural poses and lights), just wanted to touch up this part of discussion once more.

• notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 110

Wow...APPLAUSE...These look great!  

It would be hilarious to see the G8F default in a T-pose standing next to her....that would shock people to see how far you take your renders.

• jeff_someonejeff_someone Posts: 254
    akmerlow said:

Hi, Jeff. I saw some of your renders, in this thread and else, and i'm very impressed.

Also i have some thoughts i wanted to share.

I agree that you chose very interesting approach to your scenes. You give them specially that "Lo-Fi" look, which helps with your aim of reaching more realism.

When i see your images, they really look like photos, like photos that were shot on cheap digital cameras (as opposite to proffesional grade SLR or Leica or medium/large format monstrosities). Looks very believable.

I guess Rashad (or smb else too?) already brought up a point about you "making everything look not-clean, not-idealized, not-alluring" and i agree.

Of course, there are more than this in whay you do (like natural poses and lights), just wanted to touch up this part of discussion once more.

Thanks, yes.... I'm the Lo-Fi guy ;)  I just can't take Daz any further into the reality spectrum without more advanced shaders and, more importantly, increased face (and specificially eye) geometry.  Also, sadly, the viewport performance is so slow it's hard to work with models with fibermesh and/or high-def textures.  Hopefully Daz is working on improving the speed/optimization of the viewport.  e.g., when I pull Genesis 8 into Blender with my detailed textures and fibermesh hairs,  the viewport still performs fast and responsively.  In Daz, it's reall slow and clunky -- just makes it really hard to work with.  Anyhow, thanks for the feedback.   

_Jeff_

notiusweb said:

It would be hilarious to see the G8F default in a T-pose standing next to her....that would shock people to see how far you take your renders.

Thanks. And yes, I should do a base model T-pose next to my 'Emma' character model... would be good to see the contrast.  if only Daz could get high-end plug-in support, it'd be awesome.  E.g., while the new fiber and dforce hair is a step up, it still pales in comparision to even the most basic hair tools in Blender, Maya, etc.  Likewise for the renderer...while Iray is pretty sweet, the implementation in Daz Studio just isn't anywhere near to power of rendering engines in Blender, Maya, 3ds Max, Cinema 4D, etc.  It's too bad... because despite some criticism, Daz character models are more advanced than most (if not all) of those I've seen available (and posable) on the higher-end platforms.

• notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 110
    notiusweb said:

Thanks. And yes, I should do a base model T-pose next to my 'Emma' character model... would be good to see the contrast.  if only Daz could get high-end plug-in support, it'd be awesome.  E.g., while the new fiber and dforce hair is a step up, it still pales in comparision to even the most basic hair tools in Blender, Maya, etc.  Likewise for the renderer...while Iray is pretty sweet, the implementation in Daz Studio just isn't anywhere near to power of rendering engines in Blender, Maya, 3ds Max, Cinema 4D, etc.  It's too bad... because despite some criticism, Daz character models are more advanced than most (if not all) of those I've seen available (and posable) on the higher-end platforms.

Do you feel you can more fully flush out your creative idea concepts with the tools in these outside engines?  Anyway, in Iray, your unique art style packs so much raw power that your character's pose and eye contact, although subtle, really convey a tremendous amount of energy.  And would be crazy to see - Emma will either make the base model look more lifelike than ever, or make it look like a complete manequin!

• elbigguselbiggus Posts: 23
    edited July 2019

I've not really found much in the way of hair that can stand close scrutiny, but the biggest obstacle seems to be skin; most of the default textures are far too smooth and flawless which lends a definite artificial tone to renders. Been fiddling with making some of my own with some success, and although it's still a work in progress I'm still fairly happy with the indoor scene -- it could do with a bit of camera adjustment and some slightly stronger light, but the overall effect is close enough. Outdoors, though, there's a definite hint of waxiness to the skin that I just can't seem to overcome...

PR in and out.jpg
    1557 x 922 - 671K
    Post edited by elbiggus on
    notiusweb said:
    notiusweb said:

Do you feel you can more fully flush out your creative idea concepts with the tools in these outside engines?  Anyway, in Iray, your unique art style packs so much raw power that your character's pose and eye contact, although subtle, really convey a tremendous amount of energy.  And would be crazy to see - Emma will either make the base model look more lifelike than ever, or make it look like a complete manequin!

Honestly I've not had enough experience using tools outside of Daz.  I've just started digging deeply into the tools, namely Maya and ZBrush (and a little Blender).  There are tools that will take G8 directly into Maya, with rigging, but I need to spend a year or two to learn Maya/Zbrush to be able to take the Daz basemesh to the next level in those tools.  I wouldn't need to do so at all if Daz had a proper hair engine (like Xgen, Orantrix, etc), more detailed basemesh (around the eyes, etc) and a more responsive viewport.  that said, I'm not complaining per se about Daz...it is free afterall, and awesome in its own right.  

elbiggus said:

I've not really found much in the way of hair that can stand close scrutiny, but the biggest obstacle seems to be skin; most of the default textures are far too smooth and flawless which lends a definite artificial tone to renders. Been fiddling with making some of my own with some success, and although it's still a work in progress I'm still fairly happy with the indoor scene -- it could do with a bit of camera adjustment and some slightly stronger light, but the overall effect is close enough. Outdoors, though, there's a definite hint of waxiness to the skin that I just can't seem to overcome...

If it helps, one thing you can try, aside from adding imperfections, is to add color variation to the skin.  In reality, human skin is 'skin color', but also red, blue, green, some yellows, etc and it varies in certain parts of the body.  Try randomly adding some color (knees, chest, nose, etc) and see if it helps.   Below is my latest render... the skin shader and underlying textures use this technique.   ___Jeff.

• elbiggus said:

If it helps, one thing you can try, aside from adding imperfections, is to add color variation to the skin.  In reality, human skin is 'skin color', but also red, blue, green, some yellows, etc and it varies in certain parts of the body.  Try randomly adding some color (knees, chest, nose, etc) and see if it helps.   Below is my latest render... the skin shader and underlying textures use this technique.   ___Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

Excellent job on the render as usual!   Are you using photoshop to add color variations and imperfections?  I run into trouble when I paint over seams...they don't match up.   Some textures have way too much color variation that sharply transitions vs a more subtle transition in colors.  Some textures have way too little transition in colors.  Your specularity is right on the money....most renders I see are way too glossy.  Is that Dforce hair?

Thanks

I just love the Euro apartment...really different level of realism.  What hair is that?  I really love the 90's camera photo shot.  Its so natural looking vs a studio pose type photo.

elbiggus said:

Hi Jeff,

Excellent job on the render as usual!   Are you using photoshop to add color variations and imperfections?  I run into trouble when I paint over seams...they don't match up.   Some textures have way too much color variation that sharply transitions vs a more subtle transition in colors.  Some textures have way too little transition in colors.  Your specularity is right on the money....most renders I see are way too glossy.  Is that Dforce hair?

Thanks

I just love the Euro apartment...really different level of realism.  What hair is that?  I really love the 90's camera photo shot.  Its so natural looking vs a studio pose type photo.

Thanks, and yes I used Photoshop to make my custom texture and add the variations.  That said, seams can be an issue so I try to limit my edits so they dont bleed over into over texture islands.  e.g., if I'm adding color variation to the torso, I'd soft select some random patches, feather it, and then adjust the hue, but I'd make sure the feathering doesnt bleed over any seams.  And yes, it is Dforce hair - it can provide the most realistic look though it's pain to work with.  I've had to do some clean on the Dforce hair using D-Formers because the Dforce hair styles are either too long, too short, too wide, etc.  Hence why I wish we could get Xgen or something powerful to make true strandbased hair-with... oh well.  I can't remember the name of the hair off the top of my head... its a new one... I bought it and a few others.  I'll look up the name.  Also, I'm so glad someone recognized how great the Euro Apartment is... its a damn shame that vendor only made one product ever.  As you noted, its a level above all other environments (mostly due to his careful attention to details, use of glossy maps, etc.  Also I don't know anyway to get in touch with vendors to beg him to make more!   Anyhow, thanks, and have fun.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576
    elbiggus said:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks

Thanks, and yes I used Photoshop to make my custom texture and add the variations.  That said, seams can be an issue so I try to limit my edits so they dont bleed over into over texture islands.  e.g., if I'm adding color variation to the torso, I'd soft select some random patches, feather it, and then adjust the hue, but I'd make sure the feathering doesnt bleed over any seams.  And yes, it is Dforce hair - it can provide the most realistic look though it's pain to work with.  I've had to do some clean on the Dforce hair using D-Formers because the Dforce hair styles are either too long, too short, too wide, etc.  Hence why I wish we could get Xgen or something powerful to make true strandbased hair-with... oh well.  I can't remember the name of the hair off the top of my head... its a new one... I bought it and a few others.  I'll look up the name.  Also, I'm so glad someone recognized how great the Euro Apartment is... its a damn shame that vendor only made one product ever.  As you noted, its a level above all other environments (mostly due to his careful attention to details, use of glossy maps, etc.  Also I don't know anyway to get in touch with vendors to beg him to make more!   Anyhow, thanks, and have fun.

Not their only product:

https://www.daz3d.com/rog-medieval-fantasy-bedroom

@Strangefate and @Roguey worked together on both, and there are more in the works. You may be interested in this thread (which includes info about all of their products chronologically, including the last 2 environments):

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/86541/strangefate-s-stuff-medieval-fantasy-bedroom-promos

Here's a couple of renders of the set:

I totally agree that these sets are setting a new standard.

- Greg

elbiggus said:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks

Not their only product:

@Strangefate and @Roguey worked together on both, and there are more in the works. You may be interested in this thread (which includes info about all of their products chronologically, including the last 2 environments):

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/86541/strangefate-s-stuff-medieval-fantasy-bedroom-promos

- Greg

Awesome! I had no idea, thanks for the link.  Now, hopefully they do another contemporary enviroment, too! 

• FPFP Posts: 113
    elbiggus said:

Ever thoought about selling skin shaders on Daz?

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited July 2019
    FP said:

From what I can understand it seems to me that Jeff is using a very specific setup to get that level of photorealism. I mean it's not a general purpose skin shader that you can use in any light condition. Probably it is just Photoshop textures that are fit by hand to that specific picture to be rendered.

If what I guess is right then it's a little bit as rendering then "paste" a real picture on the rendered image. I mean that's "cheating" for the most part. But nevertheless the result is impressive.

Post edited by Padone on
  • Padone said:
    FP said:

From what I can understand it seems to me that Jeff is using a very specific setup to get that level of photorealism. I mean it's not a general purpose skin shader that you can use in any light condition. Probably it is just Photoshop textures that are fit by hand to that specific picture to be rendered.

If what I guess is right then it's a little bit as rendering then "paste" a real picture on the rendered image. I mean that's "cheating" for the most part. But nevertheless the result is impressive.

Do you mean pasting a rendered female figure onto a real backround?  Jeff is using the european-style-apartment:

https://www.daz3d.com/european-style-apartment

This apartment set is hyper realistic because it does a fantastic job of portraying small imperfections.  I have that set and I am blown away at how realistic it renders.  This really adds to the realism. 

The female textures are custom modified in Photoshop I believe and he has a great eye in balancing the right amount of texture variations in skin, plus just the right amount of specularity to produce realistic results.  From what I understand he is just using a simple spot light set to point light to get the effect of a camera flash.  I believe Jeff has pointed out on several occasions that this type of render is the best scenario he can find to bring out this level of photorealism.  Its really about creating imperfections that we are all used to seeing in people and things everyday. 

I totally agree with you...the results are very impressive. 

Jeff, sorry if I am speaking out of turn or wrong about some of by observations.  wink

• elbiggus said:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks

Not their only product:

- Greg

Great find Greg!  I am rendering some of my environments and find that alot of them have low rez textures.  The problem is either low rez textures or lack of imperfections (or both) that really sell the environment.  These PA's responsible this set and European Style Apartment have done a fantastic job!  I agree with Jeff, more contemporary enviroments would be wonderful.