IRAY Photorealism?

Comments

• Test PBRSkin, Michael 8.1 (skin) + Chrisitan8 (shape+normals) + Lightroom (a bit heavy handed -_-!)

testg8m-pbrs.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
    edited February 2021

Did you sculpt part of that? the sculpt looks nice.

I really like the film-like effect by rarestone here:

https://www.daz3d.com/hd-kayla-remake-and-kayla-hair-for-genesis-8-female-

he also renders some pretty nice hair here, although i'm pretty sure they weren't done with Iray (the hair he releases don't look anywhere near as good)

https://www.daz3d.com/all-sweet-poses-4th-youth-collection

Post edited by Chohole on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

no__name said:

Test PBRSkin, Michael 8.1 (skin) + Chrisitan8 (shape+normals) + Lightroom (a bit heavy handed -_-!)

This is awesome no_name! 

• davidtriune said:

Did you sculpt part of that? the sculpt looks nice.

Nope 100% vanilla Daz.

Daventaki said:

This is awesome no_name! 

Thanks!

• In order to have the most photo realism possible on G8Males, what character/material product(s) do you recommand?

• after 52 pages of sharing knowledge, how many of you have improved your realism on renders? laugh

are there a compendium of steps to replicate any technique you had developed here?

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Zilvergrafix said:

after 52 pages of sharing knowledge, how many of you have improved your realism on renders? laugh

are there a compendium of steps to replicate any technique you had developed here?

Well, now there's a bit of a reset with the new PBR shader. So look forward to 52 more pages! laugh

• Leonides02 said:

Well, now there's a bit of a reset with the new PBR shader. So look forward to 52 more pages! laugh

very true, looking forward!

• Masterstroke said:

In order to have the most photo realism possible on G8Males, what character/material product(s) do you recommand?

Not sure I'm the best to answer this, but I find Christian, Dain, Dasan & Floyd to be solid base. Underbelly is also funny to render too.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,273

i really like your morph no name.

i made this today - it is just a test and im not in any way shape or form suggesting it's photorealistic, except for the background which is a photogrammetry scan.  So i guess that's photorealistic.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

the head looks like glued in

doesnt fit thre rest

do you people think you all mean the same thing when talking bout realism ?

so funny that all the painters tried to get rid of this thing now its your biggest achievment

is this a game where everyone makes his own rules ?

when looking at this forum it comes to my mind that 3D artist have a problem defining what they are themselfes

they try to copy photographers

or painters

not thinking about that this a very unique kind of art with very special possibilities

edited February 2021

Ruphuss said:

the head looks like glued in

doesnt fit thre rest

thre rest [sic] of this scene also looks terrible too, open your eyes.

Post edited by lilweep on

Ruphuss said:

when looking at this forum it comes to my mind that 3D artist have a problem defining what they are themselfes

or painters

not thinking about that this a very unique kind of art with very special possibilities

everyone just does whatever they want, if that helps.

edited February 2021

davidtriune said:

he also renders some pretty nice hair here, although i'm pretty sure they weren't done with Iray (the hair he releases don't look anywhere near as good)

https://www.daz3d.com/all-sweet-poses-4th-youth-collection

all of the other hairs that they used in promos looked like Daz hairs tho, so i assume they are using the same method across all renders (Daz Iray?). That one does look exceptionally good though.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited February 2021

Ruphuss said:

or painters

Creating Realism won't give you a job on Pixar, but, if you are expert on this technique you will get some admiration from others, remember, all we are artists and we need recognition and applause from others, the need and urge of a Gallery demostrates that.

AND...is a technique you must do at least in one "era/lapsus/time" of your artistic life in the same way that when I was a pianist I had to play Mozart or Chopin, being my only goal to be a jazzist. Is a way to challenge yourself, I did a lot of realism when used Maxwell Render in 2008 and curiously I'm here in Japan because of that!, nobody knows what render can give you a job, or a free business travel! laugh.

When you feel great to achieve realism now you can render anything, dragons with 9 heads, Victorias with 4 arms, consider as an Xbox Achievement you must try.

About us copying photographers?, and painters? nah!,  is a topic debate that was already wasted and overused over the years in this forum, and very sure is not a thing to worry for many of us, thus, there will always the negative of not accepting the image as real, even with Zbrushers with High Level will have criticism regardless sculpting from a zsphere. 

Post edited by Zilvergrafix on
  • Serious question;

I've been trying to follow along every so often to try and glean any useful tips/tricks/advice/techniques/whatever, but i find a lot of it just ends up getting buried by people asking for opinions on their work or showing their work in general -

I think it would be really neat for people to post some to the point information that can help us regular joes achieve better, more photorealistic renders and i think it would be really neat if we could compile that into a more cohesive list for people like myself who simply cannot go through 52 pages of discussion to locate the information that's most useful to me as, essentially a hobbiest. There are some incredible renders on this thread, and through i appreciate them and the work that went into them, i would love some more information on how they came to be, y'know? :)

Please do let me know if you've got any tips/tricks/advice/techniques/whatever that you've picked up from here or came up with yourself or whatever :)

• VellduneVelldune Posts: 14
    edited February 2021

Serious question;

Please do let me know if you've got any tips/tricks/advice/techniques/whatever that you've picked up from here or came up with yourself or whatever :)

For photorealistic tips on Daz3D, these 52 pages are quite full of tips, tricks, advice, and techniques.

Here are a couple of tips if you want the cliff notes:

1. Use high resolution skin textures that include good details in bump, sss, normal maps. If you need a specific example, try Daz3D Victoria 7 or 8.

2. Use high quality hair on your character. If you need a specific example, try something from vendor OutOfTouch.

3. Use well crafted lighting in your scene. If you need a specific example, try something from vendor PaperTiger.

4. Play with camera and render settings. For specific examples try 50mm camera lens and Spectral Rendering on.

Tricks: If you spend the time to go through steps 1 through 4 above, you will find yourself with "something" as a result. Now take everything you learned and pick a different character, like Mousso's Louisiana HD and go through steps 2 through 4 and you will find "something different".

Advice: At that point you will be caught up to begin at Page 1 of this topic. Hopefully your curiosity will be piqued and you are excited enough to devour these 52 pages to glean the tips and tricks you may not have understood at the beginning of the journey. Everyone here will welcome your questions and discoveries that you can share.

Techniques: I haven't even mentioned poses, environment, storytelling, or asked you what it is you want to do. Show us :)

Post edited by Velldune on
  • I feel like I will ever be defeated by Daz's terrible hair. sad

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited February 2021

Post edited by Zilvergrafix on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,868
    edited February 2021

People come here to learn and share their experiences on how to achieve realism or photo-realism using the DAZ studio IRAY renderer.
    All their approaches is worth mentioning.

Quote:
    "Don't fall into the infamous "Fake Polaroid Photos" renders tryng to simulate a cheap camera flash, is tired at some point and pretty limited"

On this one, I feel adressed, and I tell you, that I will keep on going to do that and going to share it, because that is, what I like to do.

BTW: I cannot remember anyone here trying to get a job at Pixar.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,868
    edited February 2021

Ruphuss said:

do you people think you all mean the same thing when talking bout realism ?

so funny that all the painters tried to get rid of this thing now its your biggest achievment

is this a game where everyone makes his own rules ?

No we don't think the same in terms of realism. Where's the problem? That's why we are discussing. Feel free to join.

Funny, see you don't understand.

No, it's a game, where we are exploring the rules and break them if we like to.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • Masterstroke said:

Quote:
    "Don't fall into the infamous "Fake Polaroid Photos" renders tryng to simulate a cheap camera flash, is tired at some point and pretty limited"

On this one, I feel adressed, and I tell you, that I will keep on going to do that and going to share it, because that is, what I like to do.

I 100% agree, but for a while, it did feel like nobody valued anyting except the flash photography look. I suppose it's because @jeff_someone is so good at it while other people struggle with other techniques, it became short-hand for Daz photorealism. Photorealism takes many forms, as does photography, and we can learn from all of it. 

• no__nameno__name Posts: 88
    edited February 2021

Not sure if people saw it and not sure either it fits the topic as it's not Iray. But the gal behind Victoria 8.1, Hyeseon Oh, posted few (awesome) renders done with Maya :

Her artstation : https://www.artstation.com/hyeseonoh

hyeseon-oh-blueartstation2.jpg
    1922 x 1970 - 511K
    Post edited by no__name on

the hair is great

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

justanother__boy_ca94588ae2 said:

Serious question;

I've been trying to follow along every so often to try and glean any useful tips/tricks/advice/techniques/whatever, but i find a lot of it just ends up getting buried by people asking for opinions on their work or showing their work in general -

I think it would be really neat for people to post some to the point information that can help us regular joes achieve better, more photorealistic renders and i think it would be really neat if we could compile that into a more cohesive list for people like myself who simply cannot go through 52 pages of discussion to locate the information that's most useful to me as, essentially a hobbiest. There are some incredible renders on this thread, and through i appreciate them and the work that went into them, i would love some more information on how they came to be, y'know? :)

The problem is You're going to get different advice from everyone - some of it conflicting

My personal tastes/habits

• Use spectral rendering 
      • as a result using Isadorekeegans method of a trasnsmitted color of .99/.99/.99 to fix the chromatic sss spectral bug
    •  turn down/off burn highlights/crush blacks they make things look awful - if you need to adjust contrast later do i with something that doesn't turn highlights weird colors
    • avoid rendering in a void: use a floor or scenery or physical backdrop for improved bounce light that blends your character into the scene
    • realistic morphs: a lot of daz characters can be semi-stylized. Piling realistic textures shading etc on an unnaturally shaped character is never going to look right
    • LEARN AND USE STRAND BASED HAIR!!!!!! It will absolutely take time and effort but what's your altenative? waiting for some magical fix to come in and complaining about how bad it looks when you have another option right there? even if it takes you literal years to learn thats still faster than waiting for something. I refuse to believe that I am the only person capable of using it. So I am going to keep beating this horse until everyone grows sick of it and hates me.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

j cade said:

• LEARN AND USE STRAND BASED HAIR!!!!!! It will absolutely take time and effort but what's your altenative? waiting for some magical fix to come in and complaining about how bad it looks when you have another option right there? even if it takes you literal years to learn thats still faster than waiting for something. I refuse to believe that I am the only person capable of using it. So I am going to keep beating this horse until everyone grows sick of it and hates me.

The difficulty is learning software that has zero documentation. Daz gives us free tools but no way to understand how they work other than to play with it for endless hours and hope we figure it out. It's maddening.

edited February 2021

Leonides02 said:

j cade said:

The difficulty is learning software that has zero documentation. Daz gives us free tools but no way to understand how they work other than to play with it for endless hours and hope we figure it out. It's maddening.

i mean, there is real time feedback in the SBH editor, so it's not like it's super complicated to figure out what most of the ~20 or so different tools and settings do just by fiddling with them.

The only mysterious ones are interpolation and segment length (i.e., knowing that you need to set them to like ~0.1 to get good hair.)

At least SBH editor doesnt crash any more, so is not that maddening.

anyway, my point is that the difficulty is not in figuring out what things do, the main difficulty is in actually getting good.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

Leonides02 said:

j cade said:

Yes. Have I denied this anywhere? And despite the lack of documentation spending hours fiddling around trying to learn it is still a better option than sitting around and waiting for some as yet unknown solution to appear.