What the hell is Gordig doing now?

Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,802

Glad to have you back!

I think you need a (different) HDRI to make the metallic surfaces less fakey!

What about this one? https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?c=indoor&h=georgentor

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,273

Actually, I suspect the shader has more to do with that than the lighting, although that's probably not helping either.  I started out with a shader that had surface imperfections, but it was a bit low-res, so I swapped it out in a least-resistance sort of way. There's also nothing in the scene except the two characters and the throne platform, so having more to reflect in the gold might make it more realistic as well. 

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Gordig: I like your stuff! It's very humorous and creative. Can't wait to see what you do next. 

Thank you! I've got a couple more in the pipeline right now.

Needed a banjo for a render I'm working on, and instead of searching for one, I immediately started building it myself. It's pretty rough, and I just eyeballed everything instead of taking a single measurement.

banjoveryveryrough2.png
    2400 x 2400 - 775K
    banjoveryveryrough.png
    2400 x 2400 - 7M
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675

It needs strings cheeky ...J/k. I'm sure you knew that part. 

The base needs to be a little bigger, I think, while the necks needs to be a little shorter. Just a guess after looking at some pics. But overall it's looking good! 

I could easily pull my banjo out of its case (and play it a bit, because I haven't in quite a while), but I'm not shooting for total accuracy on this one. I might make a more serious attempt at a banjo later on, though.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

That's a brave dentist! surprise It kind of reminds me of this story on NoSleep.

Hongyan

A Chinese word for jealousy that literally translates to "red eye".

Version 1:

edited May 2021

Version 2:

Centaurpants 3.png
    2400 x 2400 - 7M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • charlescharles Posts: 775

Gordig said:

Version 1:

Shouldn't the pants be on like the back part?

What the hell do I know.

"Hey there, sailor. I've got what you need."

The Cure for Scurvy

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,802

I like the dolphin one! Dynamic pose and very pretty colours.

Thanks! It's also a stealthy Star Wars pun, since I missed May the 4th.

charles said:

Gordig said:

Version 1:

Shouldn't the pants be on like the back part?

What the hell do I know.

I mean, I guess it depends on what purpose the pants are serving. Centaurs are inherently ridiculous, though, so it's a pretty academic question.

edited May 2021

WIP of one of my wife's OCs. I already rendered Teila the mermaid, which you can see on my DA page (but not my Daz gallery, for reasons that may already be obvious to you).

Grayce Daz.png
    1600 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited May 2021

Cheese It!

There's a new sheriff in town.

Post edited by Gordig on

I wanted to practice my lighting, so here's a rare render that doesn't start with some sort of joke.

Welcome Home

edited May 2021

When I mentioned to my wife that I was trying to get better at lighting, she suggested that I try reproducing the lighting in a photo. For whatever reason, my mind immediately went to Blade Runner.

Not posting this to my gallery because, honestly, I didn't try very hard with the posing and whatnot, so it's not a great scene. It's just for the lighting, which I'm fairly pleased with.

Deckardasan.png
    2400 x 1350 - 6M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,035
    edited May 2021

Gordig said:

When I mentioned to my wife that I was trying to get better at lighting, she suggested that I try reproducing the lighting in a photo. For whatever reason, my mind immediately went to Blade Runner.

Not posting this to my gallery because, honestly, I didn't try very hard with the posing and whatnot, so it's not a great scene. It's just for the lighting, which I'm fairly pleased with.

Your wife gave you great advice. It's always a good idea to get several references for the mood you're trying to convey. Then first try replicating, once you get a hang of it, you'll be able to build the mood without the need of references. That looks great, by the way :). I'd even say that with the deeper shadows, yours feel more dramatic.

Edit to add: Your next step could be to play with the depth of field of the camera to blur out the background and draw more focus on the face of the character.

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on