What the hell is Gordig doing now?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,230

Aladdin

Little known fact: the original story of Aladdin took place in China. The genie in the lamp was actually the second genie; the one that helped Aladdin escape from the cave came from a magic ring.

edited March 2022

No real plans for this one. So far it's mostly just accidental Rurouni Kenshin fanart. I mocked up the ones on the end a while back, and dropped them in to my experimenting with the center characters.

Toonihon.png
    2400 x 1350 - 3M
    Post edited by Gordig on

Oh yeah, I also recorded something. It's rough, I haven't recorded all the parts, and I'll need to re-record at least some of it before I start doing any studio magicks on it, but as I said in the video description, "pedal steel is hard, yo".

Two Bits

Just a little off the top.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Gordig said: Oh yeah, I also recorded something.

That's you playing? It sounds great! That's not an easy piece of music. (Not that I know much about music, so no piece is easy to me.)

And that is how the Triceratops(?) went extinct. crying

edited March 2022

WinterMoon said:

Gordig said: Oh yeah, I also recorded something.

That's you playing? It sounds great! That's not an easy piece of music. (Not that I know much about music, so no piece is easy to me.)

Thanks. Yes, it's a complicated piece of music, on a very complicated instrument that I'm not very good at yet. It took me longer to arrange the piece (meaning figure out how it would even be possible to play it) than to actually record it. The guitar and bass parts were pretty easy.

On the Hunt

And that is how the Triceratops(?) went extinct. crying

I thought of this as belonging to one of my favorite genres to render: the person who doesn't realize they're in way over their head.

Post edited by Gordig on

God, this took so long to render successfully. The render kept restarting, and the volumetrics looked different in the preview than in the full render, so I kept having to adjust the density, then I tried rendering the scene by itself and render the gas on a canvas, but that didn't work...anyway, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and a little bit of postwork helped draw out the main character.

Boarding Party

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,796

^ This looks really good!

Oh thanks! I'm pretty pleased with it. It really helps that the set I used comes with really good environmental lighting, saving me the hardest part of setting (most) scenes up.

Great expression!

Thanks. The trouble with 8.1 is that the new facial posing system is great, but makes it harder to get the really big, outlandish expressions I love so much. Probably just need to do a little more fiddling with it.

Movie Night

Another commission from the DeviantArt follower who has very particular tastes. When I described the scene to my wife (who is black), she made the point that they wouldn't be watching the movie and then doing her hair; they'd be doing her hair during the movie. I've seen it myself numerous times, and it's definitely a valid point, but this is what they wanted.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

When your friend doubles as a sofa! heart I love it! 

edited April 2022

Started experimenting with Octane, so I present to you: Naked Aniyah in a Temple with an Afro.

NAIATWAA.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Gordig on

Please do let us know how Octane compares to IRAY!

I'm curious... but not curious enough to actually dive into it myself XD

A Youtuber who made some really great African hair pieces for C4D and some skin tutorials in Octane said that Octane isn't really ideally suited for human skin, and that seems to be my experience as well. I'm also having a bafflingly hard time getting transparent surfaces to work properly, which seems to me like it should be the easiest thing in the world to do. That's why her eyes looks so crazy, and if you can make out the water, that doesn't look quite right either. I've been looking at Redshift and Octane, and I also need to renew my Insydium Fused maintenance agreement;  out of the three, Fused is the clear winner, because not only do I get my access to Cycles 4D back, but Fused has a ton of other features including a newly introduced foliage generator that looks really incredible, and it costs roughly the same as a year of either Octane or Redshift.

tl;dr: Octane is great for some things, but not what I'd recommend for rendering human figures.

Thanks, that's really good information to have! yes

I'm also just very, very bad at working with materials, so other people have achieved much better results than I have. Octane is free for DS, so no harm in trying it for yourself.

edited April 2022

Pretty boring, but I may try a more developed scene at some point. Even if I don't use Octane to render, I'll probably keep my Octane subscription just because of the free KitBash3D sets.

Every City Octane.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Gordig on

Gordig said:

I'm also just very, very bad at working with materials, so other people have achieved much better results than I have. Octane is free for DS, so no harm in trying it for yourself.

Yeah, I'll pass... the list of things I'd like to explore is alreday too long, and my days are too short.

I'm actually quite happy with IRAY, so I see no reason to put a lot of effort into investigating Octane. I was just curious :)

edited April 2022

Took the plunge and reupped my Fused license, so here's the same scene rendered with both Octane and Cycles:

Octane

Cycles

Every City scene Cycles.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Every City scene Octane.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Gordig on

Started playing around with Taiao, the foliage generator that was recently added to Fused. Somewhat disappointingly, it doesn't respond to forces normally, but rather has its own wind generator, but it's still quite usable, and works very quickly. I'll need to look into better textures than what's included, but even those are usable. The wind has a loop parameter, but it doesn't exactly loop.

edited April 2022

Started modeling an F-style mandolin based off some schematics that I found on the internet. I sure do hate working with splines, but at least I'm learning how to do it better. Figuring out how to properly contour the top is definitely going to be the hardest part, and I'll also need to find good wood textures. Maybe I can find some in a Daz MR product.

Mandolin roughest.png
    1280 x 720 - 90K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited April 2022

Actually, I think I've got the material for the back sorted out, and need to fiddle with the right tiling settings and/or UV for the sides, but I still need to find a good spruce texture for the top and ebony for the fretboard and bridge.

Mandolin back.png
    1280 x 720 - 373K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited April 2022

The shape of the neck turbosucks right now because I haven't used the loft tool enough to understand the best techniques, and it's also just guesswork on the profile and angles, despite having a mandolin sitting right behind me.

Mandolin front 2.png
    1280 x 720 - 454K
    Mandolin back 2.png
    1280 x 720 - 607K
    Post edited by Gordig on

It's been about a week of working on this, and it isn't done yet, but I can at least show you this much now.

Put a bunch more work into this, and for now, this will have to be good enough. Found a way to fill in the background without exploding the render time, got an animated HDRI working, gave her hair, reframed it, probably some other stuff. Any attempt I've made to improve the quality of the render (let alone the size) would balloon the render times to around 30 minutes per frame, at least.