What the hell is Gordig doing now?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,230

Geeked

I know runners don't tend to live very long, but still...

After all the effort I put into setting this scene up, I'm not sure how well it reads.

Llola Lane's render challenge theme this month is "flesh", which gave me a good opportunity to finally finish this scene I started a long time ago.

Greetings, Fellow Human!

I'm just out ambulating, how are your circumstances?

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Gordig said:

After all the effort I put into setting this scene up, I'm not sure how well it reads.

Technically, I think it's very well done. As for the message it conveys... Were these guys her actual friends? Because I don't think I'd cross out my friends' faces in their photos after they died.

Gordig said:

I'm just out ambulating, how are your circumstances?

That is deeply disturbing on an instictive level, man! D: is correct!

edited November 2021

Honeytrap

"What...WHERE WERE YOU EVEN HIDING THAT?!"

edit: re-rendered with his hair behind his head.

Post edited by Gordig on

In Position

We ready to do this?

Still on my Shadowrun kick. I should probably render a centaur or two before I start losing DeviantArt followers. I thought I'd try something more portrait-y, for this, but of course I can't commit to doing a proper portrait. The staging of the scene made it hard for me to position the lights so that they gave the desired effect without also flooding the ledge with light.

Gordig said:

I should probably render a centaur or two before I start losing DeviantArt followers. 

Golden Slumbers

WinterMoon said:

Gordig said:

Technically, I think it's very well done. As for the message it conveys... Were these guys her actual friends? Because I don't think I'd cross out my friends' faces in their photos after they died.

My wife said the same thing, and I get it, but I also think it reflects the grim fatalism that would come with running the shadows. It does remind me of a time my brother and I went to McDonald's for breakfast after a shift at FedEx, and a couple of old men were sitting nearby us. One just kept listing people that they knew, and then adding "he died". 

This render had quite a journey. It started with me getting Tween Julie 7 for free because I already had all the Victorias and didn't particularly want either of the G8 figures that were available. I of course immediately XTransferred her to G8, then picked Aulaire textures for her and added Deja hair. After a bit of futzing to get her eyes to look less outlandish, I started adding other teen girls and making them up. Then I decided they were cheerleaders, and my initial thought was that they would be cheering at a football game, in which at least one player was a centaur (because of course). Maybe even one or more of the cheerleaders would be centaurs too, I don't know, get off my back. It became clear to me that American football gear is in incredibly short supply for 3D, so I made the executive decision to switch to basketball. I then added a couple teen boy characters, and spent way, way too much time editing the textures from the cheerleader outfit onto the G8M Workout outfit, before ultimately realizing that I didn't actually own an appropriate environment for the game - and also that I didn't want to bother with filling in the crowd or other background characters.

So I said "hell with it. They're still cheerleaders, but now they're also a metal band".

Post-Game Ritual

After all that rigmarole, I didn't try all that hard on the actual render.

Gordig said: After all that rigmarole, I didn't try all that hard on the actual render.

Haha, I don't blame you! But I think it looks good all the same. Something stirs in the back of my brain that I was once in a comment thread on Reddit, and we were joking about a heavy metal band composed of cheerleaders who decapitated people. At least their band name made it sound like they did. I unfortunately lost that account, so I can't go back and check what the name was.

WinterMoon said:

Gordig said: After all that rigmarole, I didn't try all that hard on the actual render.

Haha, I don't blame you! But I think it looks good all the same. Something stirs in the back of my brain that I was once in a comment thread on Reddit, and we were joking about a heavy metal band composed of cheerleaders who decapitated people. At least their band name made it sound like they did. I unfortunately lost that account, so I can't go back and check what the name was.

My wife and I have filled two whiteboards with band names, baby names and book titles that come up in conversation (many of them from my wife mishearing something), so I definitely have plenty to choose from if I had to give them a name.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,796

WinterMoon said:

Something stirs in the back of my brain that I was once in a comment thread on Reddit, and we were joking about a heavy metal band composed of cheerleaders who decapitated people.

I rendered this almost exactly a year ago, but apparently never posted it to my gallery, so here it is:

Tomb Raided

Picked up Clara last night. At this point, it would be more weird if I didn't do this:

En Pointaur

Gordig said:

Picked up Clara last night. At this point, it would be more weird if I didn't do this:  En Pointaur

Elle fait la balléssage!  yes 

Oooooh, ooooh! What if there's a tentacle guy playing the whole orchestra!?

edited December 2021

Not posting to my gallery yet because it just isn't a very good render. After grappling with adding Materia snow to an Ultrascenery scene, I gave up and just used an HDRI. This scene also had a bit of a journey. It started with buff Santa, and I was going to have him firing a minigun while wearing something like the vest from War Dog, but I couldn't find assets that worked for me. I then added Tane to the scene, and slapped some armor on him, and by now you know where my mind went after that.

The War on Christmas

The War on Christmas_comp.png
    2400 x 1800 - 2M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited December 2021

The process at work. I haven't decided who she is yet...or whether she'll remain a centaur...or why she's so tired of your crap.

trusttheprocess.png
    1200 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Gordig on

And this is where it ended up:

Mission Prep

Draw Me Like One of Your Real Boys

Make your own "wood" joke.

Haven't done much rendering in a while for various reasons, but I threw this together yesterday. I love Oso's Lechuza, but I don't think I'd actually used it in a scene until now. I dialed the Dachshund morph into it, and it made such a delightful little dumpus.

Owlcub

edited January 2022

While trying to help another user locate a morph, I noticed a freebie Lara Croft morph I downloaded a long time ago that had the lower limit set to -100 rather than 0. I tried dialing it all the way down, and it resulted in what I think of as a very "ordinary" looking woman.

I'll probably change the limits on my other head morphs and see what kind of interesting results I get.

PlainestJane.png
    1600 x 1600 - 3M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited January 2022

Gordig said: I dialed the Dachshund morph into it, and it made such a delightful little dumpus.

I wanna scratch it behind the ears!

Anti-Lara is actually rather pretty, bold nose and all. It would be cool to see the inversions of other characters!

Post edited by WinterMoon on

WinterMoon said:

Gordig said: I dialed the Dachshund morph into it, and it made such a delightful little dumpus.

I wanna scratch it behind the ears!

Unfortunately, his floppy ears are kind of hard to make out behind all the fur.

Anti-Lara is actually rather pretty, bold nose and all. It would be cool to see the inversions of other characters!

I agree, although I also think Edie is attractive in her own way, so make of that what you will. I posted the results to the "Dial Them Out" thread, but here's the video of my results.

I also gave Metamixer another shot. I hadn't really touched it since it was released because, as I've noted before, I'm not that concerned with making my characters look unique. My renders are all about the scenario and the story being told, so I have no problem using characters out of the box. I may change that, though, especially since I'm starting to get more into long-form storytelling. Anyway, here's my (first?) creation with Metamixer, using a combination of Clara, Nida and Freja with Clara's skin:

Nice!

I think her mouth should be a little higher.

I don't have Clara but seeing her skin here almost makes me reconsider... it looks fantastic.

edited January 2022

Maybe that's a symptom of my not tweaking characters' faces, or the reason why I don't, or a little of both, I didn't for a second look at the face and see if it actually made sense as a face. Clara's skin is pretty great, though, and I also like her morph a lot. She's kind of a back door Asian teen base figure, which we haven't seen before. 

Post edited by Gordig on

Back door Asian teen, got it!

Gordig said:

I also think Edie is attractive in her own way, so make of that what you will.

I think she's kind of pretty too! Maybe it's because I've spent the past few years playing with a family of Sims that gets less and less human with every generation. I may have developed a very, shall we say, alternative perception of beauty and "normal." laugh

Cool video! A lot of those subtracted characters would make great bases for unique designs.