XTransfer Module 1- Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 Morph Converter (Commercial)

Comments

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,046
    edited December 2019

Ok I assume that this is a custom character? Counting by the amount of navel morphs I assume it is? It is hard to assume how long it will take because I cannot see what was favourited and how many linked morphs were listed. Say for example your character is made up of V8, and Olympia, it will transfer morphs and all linked morphs (unless you untick those) from both those characters.

Post edited by Zev0 on

Also to add you do not need to favourite any hidden morphs. If hidden morphs are showing under currently used that means they are linked to primary morphs so you just need to favourite those.

Is this character controlled by a character slider? Or is it just a mix of dialed morphs? 

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

Here is the thing. I tried XTransfer with 6 different characters and always get DS crashing at 71%. Before giving up I changed my DS custom layout to the default City Limits and run again XTransfer against the same 6 characters. As weird as it, all transfers finished sucessfully. So, maybe those getting the same issue could give a try and confirm if they have sucess.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 2019

dkgoose said:

i know this isn't the intended usage for this really but it seems to work well for clones for older generations

Do they still work as clones for autofit?

ya i only converted the clones to see if the auto fit results would be better, there are other steps after converting, if you have redz tutorials and poses for the morph transfering you can use the T pose? on Genesis 8 then dial in the clone transfer and use the developer tools script to export to the obj then reload with morph loader and follow the steps in the guide :) i'll look for the forum link where Redz has it, some aren't a perfect solution i've noticed but the results were better than what i previously made for most of them

Post edited by Dkgoose on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,899
    edited December 2019

I'm going to post how to do Map Transfer on Commons page, since it's general interest (and not specific to this product)

Edit; Eh, that's a lot of work. Check out this tutorial (it's a little dated, but the basic stuff works):

https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-The-Map-Transfer-Utility-368686796

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • MBusch said:

Here is the thing. I tried XTransfer with 6 different characters and always get DS crashing at 71%. Before giving up I changed my DS custom layout to the default City Limits and run again XTransfer against the same 6 characters. As weird as it, all transfers finished sucessfully. So, maybe those getting the same issue could give a try and confirm if they have sucess.

Oddly enough... I've only tried one transfer, and it hung at 71% for over an hour with no I/O or CPU activity, before I killed it (Mac version).  I figured I'd try it again with this tip.  So I saved off my workspace, reloaded CIty Limits, ran the transfer, and... it worked!  I have no idea why this should be the case, but it seems like a significant clue.

• MunemanMuneman Posts: 219

I just did my first transfer, using the favorite method. There might need to be a disclaimer that hitting multiple favorites for different products is a bad thing. I ended up with some freaky polygon explosions from that concoction...

Doing it from the morphs folder worked much better. Mr. Bear looks like he came out perfect. Well, except for his UVs... 

I thought there was a recent product for transferring G3 UVs to G8, but I can't find it now. Was I only imagining that? 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145
    edited December 2019

I honestly don't know what I'm doing right then...I've been doing sometimes 10 characters at a time - and monster characters at that that have had a lot of poly pushing done on them. I've not had one hang up, hiccup or crash. I am using City Limits for my DS interface, but it's custom, not default. I'm going to try some female characters now because up to now I've only done males.

Edit: I'm using the current beta as well, so it's not the beta...at least not with the conversions I've done so far.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on

My stab at Mr Bear

G8 Bear in a Forest.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 362K
  • Zev0 said:

Is this character controlled by a character slider? Or is it just a mix of dialed morphs? 

Base model is FWSA Jade HD for Teen Josie 7. I don't even recall setting most of the dials, so not sure where they came from. Though I created this character 3 years ago so I may have forgotten the process. Looking at the XTransfer folder I see a ton of characters being pulled in.

Getting a Duplicate error now when I load the scene with the G3F character in it:

019-12-01 19:21:39.740 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(5995): Duplicate formula found linking CMMClariceNavel & FBMClarice in /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Morphs/Thorneworks/Clarice/MCMClariceNavel.dsf.

• Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 727
    edited December 2019

Well... I don't want to say I found a solution in my case, buuuuut... I'm getting pretty close. 

After doing the layout change on the current beta, and still getting crashes, I ended up uninstalling the beta and installing the current public release from the main page (macOS 64-bit). Kept the default layout. Loaded G3F, used Arabella 7 as my guinnea pig again, and...

It worked!!!

There were a couple moments where I thought it was going to crash, but nope. It actually worked!!!!

ETA: I do think, in my case at least, there's likely an issue with the current beta build vs. the current general release. What that is, I'm not sure. But as far as I'm concerned, rolling back and over to the current public build did the trick. I've got a bunch of core G3 characters in my queue right now, and everything seems to be going very smoothly at this point. 

ETA #2: Yep, it crossed the 71% mark and it's now at 85%, no crashing. I will try with G3M in the morning.

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 9.07.02 PM.png
    1232 x 2492 - 623K
    Post edited by Panzer Emerald on
  • MunemanMuneman Posts: 219
    Oso3D said:

My stab at Mr Bear

How did you manage the UV maps to look like that? 

edited December 2019
    Muneman said:

I just did my first transfer, using the favorite method. There might need to be a disclaimer that hitting multiple favorites for different products is a bad thing. I ended up with some freaky polygon explosions from that concoction...

Doing it from the morphs folder worked much better. Mr. Bear looks like he came out perfect. Well, except for his UVs... 

I thought there was a recent product for transferring G3 UVs to G8, but I can't find it now. Was I only imagining that? 

No. RedzStudio made a product that does it, but you can convert them yourself if you need to. What you need to do is convert the UV you want if it's for V7 or something like that and make it work on a basic G3 female. Genesis 8 uses G3 base UVs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yN1DaT_27Y&t=23s

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • jedijuddjedijudd Posts: 606

I am loving this tool, thank you for making it, good luck on ironing out all of the bugs. Here is the Yeti from over at Rendo. I hope you consider doing G8f to G8m and  vise versa morph tool

Yeti.jpg
    1200 x 1050 - 742K
    Muneman said:
    Oso3D said:

My stab at Mr Bear

How did you manage the UV maps to look like that? 

Map Transfer.

https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-The-Map-Transfer-Utility-368686796

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,273

I was able to get XTransfer working, although I've been changing so many things that I couldn't say what it was that fixed it. Here is Anneka 3 compared to Anneka 8. The HD details don't really shine through, but that's no surprise. Star, on the other hand, comes through the transfer with some interesting alterations. Here she is on either side of Star Prime, with (left) and without (right) the Star Body Proportions dial. 

Anneka38_comp.png
    3600 x 4800 - 6M
    Starzz_comp.png
    4800 x 2700 - 8M
  • f7eerf7eer Posts: 117
    Muneman said:

It was mentioned recently, I think, but the product itself is over 2 years old:

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female

• LordScorpion13LordScorpion13 Posts: 25
    edited December 2019

Hhi everyone.  First of all... Zev0.. awesome product!  <3 it!

I've been tinkering with it pretty much all day.  Here are some things I have found out that might help if you're having issues.  I'm running 4.12 btw

1:  If it wants to just hang up (if the elapsed timer is running.. but the memory usage is not... it's hung... 8h at 42% showed me this)  force close it.. delete the morphs created during that session and try again.  If you run a transfer... then try running another one (by loading g3 and going again.. it'll most likely hang... thatis what had been happening to me)   Advice:  close and reopen Daz before running another transfer to keep it from hanging up.

2:  I was getting a lot of distorted model transfers until I made sure my content library was t he one that contained g3 base and g8 base.  choosing that cut down a lot.

3:  Transferring dialer-based models (Like vvyktohria's Faith for example) did well for me... but it brought over a slew of morphs that G8 had anyway. 

4:  I cannot get my Morph Loader Pro-based models to transfer without major distortion.  I have a couple of Mudboxed morph sets I'd love to see with the G8 flexibility.  

I hope this tidbit and feedback helps.

Post edited by LordScorpion13 on
  • f7eerf7eer Posts: 117

I decided to see if changing the Daz Studio layout to "City Limits" would make the XTransfer I did of Aiko 7 work. After the last failure, I removed the XTransfer folder from

data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\Morphs

I changed the layout to "City Limits", favorited "Aiko 7", "Aiko 7 Head" and "Aiko 7 Body", and then, starting clean, re-ran the transfer. It all looked the same, so I executed it, and I got exactly the same behavior as before: It got to 71%, seemed to hang (though it was actually busy doing something), then DAZ Studio crashed. I also got the mangled version of G8F, as before, so I deleted the XTransfer folder again.

zip
    zip
    DAZStudio_error_report_191201-210959.zip
  • MBusch said:

Thanks for this! It worked for me as well.

• This might help someone. I was getting the dreaded 71% hang. After a bit of trial and error I found a method that works for me. It's a bit manual, and involves fresh installs of G3, G8 and the characters you want to transfer. Not ideal, but I'm getting successful results so far.

1. In a new folder (not where you currently have G3 and G8 installed), place a new copy of the bases. I just downloaded the Starter Essentials again, and unzipped them to the new folder. Do the same for the characters you want to transfer, eg. V7. Also, install a copy of XTransfer to this new folder.

2. Remove or rename (don't delete, of course!) your main content folder (where G3 and G8 is installed) so that DAZ doesn't recognise it. Add your new folder to your DAZ content library.

3. Load G3 from the new folder, favourite what you want to transfer and run the script. Save to the new folder. It worked really quickly for me. Took 2 minutes to fully transfer V7. Then I favourited about 15 characters that I'd installed in the new folder. They all only took just over 20 minutes or so. It hangs on 71%, and then on 85%, but it does work.

4. Once the script finished, I moved the newly created Xtransfer folder from the fresh data folder to my original main folder, removed the fresh folder and added my main folder back to the content library so that DAZ recognises it. I loaded the original install of G8F, it had all of the transferred morphs.

It's a bit more of a hassle than I'd like, but I've gone through and tested a lot of the morphs and they are working. No mesh explosions so far. The results are pretty accurate. I'm happy with the product.

Hope this method helps those that are struggling to get it to work.

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    I'm also of the happy few because this works for me. Granted I'm not on beta and this was a DA G3 character and not a GenX character. It transformed well, I could put the G3 maps on it and just tweaked the shaders. I converted Mei Lin 7 this way and she looks good on G8F. The only thing I noticed that G8 Mei Lin 7 is taller than G3 Mei Lin 7, although I transferred the body morph too and the body morph applies well itself. But G8 Mei Lin 7 is a tad shorter than G8F base, so the morph did something to adjust the height. But this is so minor an issue it doesn't bother me at all.

Hope the issues can be resolved, it's a wonderful product if it works.

• Well, managed to get all my core G3 characters transfered over to G8, so I'd say any issues I had are solved! 

• PedroCPedroC Posts: 194

I heart THIS TOOL

This is Luthbel's Wise Sensei for G3M on G8M, in regular clothes. LOL

Not really having any issues with the script.

Laurie

Wise Sensei G8M.jpg
    1434 x 1669 - 130K
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    Zev0 said:

@Kharma Can I see your GenX Transfer settings?

@Zev0 I have been trying to do a new GenX tranfer and for some reason it's suddenly not working to tranfer a gen2 to a gen 3 , it won't seem to pick up all the morphs to tranfer ... once I get it working I will post the settings I used to transfer using Xtranser

edited December 2019

"it won't seem to pick up all the morphs to tranfer"

We found the issue..Busy testing it...The problem was that XGen wasn't saving a full path that includes author and product, it just had an author folder. Hense why it could select some morphs. So ye older morphs seemed to work, but new ones no..Don't know if its studio related..But we made a fix so it works on new GenX ones...

Post edited by Zev0 on

This is Luthbel's Wise Sensei for G3M on G8M, in regular clothes. LOL

Not really having any issues with the script.

Laurie

Zev0 said:

"it won't seem to pick up all the morphs to tranfer"

We found the issue..Busy testing it...The problem was that XGen wasn't saving a full path that includes author and product, it just had an author folder. Hense why it could select some morphs. So ye older morphs seemed to work, but new ones no..Don't know if its studio related..But we made a fix so it works on new GenX ones...

Glad you found it :)

Laurie

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,917

Someone sucessfully managed to transfer morphs from Genesis1 to Genesis3 and finally Genesis8?

I would like to bring all my morphs from older figures. wink