XTransfer Module 1- Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 Morph Converter (Commercial)

1323334353638»

Comments

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045

What version of the script are you using?

• @BlackmoonForge your log says it is saving to a Onedrive folder. That probably shouldn't be a problem but since those folders sync when files are created or change, it is possible that something with the timing of things is going wrong. Could you please try a different target mapped directory just in case?

• whoot problem solved for my crashing issue.  diving into the Daz Content\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\Morphs\XTransfer and clearing out the transfers that were the corrupted from the crashing out and making sure that they are in the Daz Folder where the essentials are and then re-run xtransfer and it completed this time without crashing out

Cool glad its sorted.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    edited October 2023

...one more silly question, will it transfer Shape Shift morphs for G3 to G8?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2023

yep.

Post edited by Zev0 on

...thank you.

• brucek5brucek5 Posts: 39

I’ve been working on converting a Genesis-2 female to Genesis-8 and no single product has done well on capturing the face shape.

I have though obtained very good shape (geometry mesh) conversion if I first save the Genesis-2 female as an OBJ, then importing it back into DAZ using the Morph Loader Pro and saving it as a Morph Asset. Next, I used the Gen-X product to convert to a Genesis-3 female.

I used this same workflow using X-Transfer tool to convert the Genesis-3 female to as Genesis-8 female, except creating a custom Morph Asset based on exporting a OBJ of the Genesis-3 female and importing it back into DAZ using the Morph Loader Pro and saving it as a Morph Asset. When using X-Transfer, I have my custom morph set as a “favorite”.  The new Genesis-8 female looks exactly like the original Genesis-2 female but I think the bone/joints rigging is messed up because geografts such as eyelashes (and others) don’t get placed on the figure correctly.

FYI – If I let Gen-X use the Genesis-2 female and all the character morphs, and X-Transfer tool to convert the Genesis-3 female to as Genesis-8 female the results don’t look close to the original.

Any ideas on how to salvage my perfectly converted Genesis-2 to Genesis-8 female (geometry mesh) into a working and properly rigged character?

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404

brucek5 said:

I’ve been working on converting a Genesis-2 female to Genesis-8 and no single product has done well on capturing the face shape.

I have though obtained very good shape (geometry mesh) conversion if I first save the Genesis-2 female as an OBJ, then importing it back into DAZ using the Morph Loader Pro and saving it as a Morph Asset. Next, I used the Gen-X product to convert to a Genesis-3 female.

I used this same workflow using X-Transfer tool to convert the Genesis-3 female to as Genesis-8 female, except creating a custom Morph Asset based on exporting a OBJ of the Genesis-3 female and importing it back into DAZ using the Morph Loader Pro and saving it as a Morph Asset. When using X-Transfer, I have my custom morph set as a “favorite”.  The new Genesis-8 female looks exactly like the original Genesis-2 female but I think the bone/joints rigging is messed up because geografts such as eyelashes (and others) don’t get placed on the figure correctly.

FYI – If I let Gen-X use the Genesis-2 female and all the character morphs, and X-Transfer tool to convert the Genesis-3 female to as Genesis-8 female the results don’t look close to the original.

Any ideas on how to salvage my perfectly converted Genesis-2 to Genesis-8 female (geometry mesh) into a working and properly rigged character?

When Gex-X quit working on my system, I looked for other alternatives. I found these videos that are very helpful for converting morphs from one generation to the next:

In the videos, Jay is converting to Genesis 9, but the process works with any generation. I've had good luck converting Genesis 1 & 2 shapes to Genesis 3 with this method, and across genders. Then I use X-transfer to move them to Genesis 8 if needed. I've transferred G8F to G8M, so I could do an Arm of the Demon Queen render. It worked pretty good, but I need to modify some clothing, so she isn't topless. 

Hi riftwitch, thanks for the feedback, I'll check out the videos.

One thing I left out of my orginal posting is if I use X-Tranfer using the converted file from X-Gen and using the native morph files (not using the OBJ workflow), X-Transfer crashes DAZ Studio, and the new morphs it made is a wild twisted mess. (The DAZ error log file is filled with many lines of error messages).

Bruce

edited October 2023

I watched the videos and tried the "Adjust Rig to Shape", which made rig changes, but didn't change how eyelashes and other geoshells get added.  All the face and eyelid joints weights seem to be in the right place as Ican manually move the bones to move eyes and eyelids.

Anyone know how DAZ figures out where to put eyelashes and other geoshells?

Post edited by brucek5 on
    brucek5 said:

Hi riftwitch, thanks for the feedback, I'll check out the videos.

One thing I left out of my orginal posting is if I use X-Tranfer using the converted file from X-Gen and using the native morph files (not using the OBJ workflow), X-Transfer crashes DAZ Studio, and the new morphs it made is a wild twisted mess. (The DAZ error log file is filled with many lines of error messages).

Bruce

I haven't had that happen, but I haven't used Gen-X for quite a while. The only weird thing that happened was when I used X-Morph to transfer a Genesis 1 morph (Mr. Hyde) that I had manually converted to G3M. The morph itself works fine on G8M & GM8.1., but clothing and other items fitted to the figure don't scale up to the size of the morph.

Hi riftwitch,

Interesting I just did the same test with clothing. I found the clothing was fitting to the base Genesis female shape, but ignores the custom morph. As I slide the custom morph value slider, the body shape changes, but the eyelashes and cloths remain unchanged. There must be a step missing that tells DAZ Studio the body shape is changing. 

I've made custom morphs before without this problem where the entire figure is changed, so I tied one more step that seemed to fix all issues. I loaded a base Genesis female 8 female, deleted the eyelashes, and applied the X-Transfer created morph. I then set the mesh resolution to base and exported it out as an OBJ file. Then I cleared the project, loaded a base Genesis female 8 female and loaded the export OBJ using Morph Loader Pro, and applied morph at 100% and set the low limit to zero. Then I saved the morph as a Morph Asset. Then once again,  I cleared the project, loaded a base Genesis female 8 female and this time applied the morph created with the saved Morph Asset. Now eyelashes, brows, cloths and Geoshells all follow the body shape!

In closing, it looks the the morph created by X-Transfer is missing something that tell DAZ Studio the body shape is changing, and re-exporting and importing using Morph Loader Pro fixes.

Bruce.

•  

The morph has to have autofollow checked. Otherwise the clothing or anything attached won't follow the shape.

GRFK DSGN Unlimited said:

The morph has to have autofollow checked. Otherwise the clothing or anything attached won't follow the shape.

Thanks, that fixed that problem.  

brucek5 said:

Hi riftwitch,

Interesting I just did the same test with clothing. I found the clothing was fitting to the base Genesis female shape, but ignores the custom morph. As I slide the custom morph value slider, the body shape changes, but the eyelashes and cloths remain unchanged. There must be a step missing that tells DAZ Studio the body shape is changing. 

I've made custom morphs before without this problem where the entire figure is changed, so I tied one more step that seemed to fix all issues. I loaded a base Genesis female 8 female, deleted the eyelashes, and applied the X-Transfer created morph. I then set the mesh resolution to base and exported it out as an OBJ file. Then I cleared the project, loaded a base Genesis female 8 female and loaded the export OBJ using Morph Loader Pro, and applied morph at 100% and set the low limit to zero. Then I saved the morph as a Morph Asset. Then once again,  I cleared the project, loaded a base Genesis female 8 female and this time applied the morph created with the saved Morph Asset. Now eyelashes, brows, cloths and Geoshells all follow the body shape!

In closing, it looks the the morph created by X-Transfer is missing something that tell DAZ Studio the body shape is changing, and re-exporting and importing using Morph Loader Pro fixes.

Bruce.

The post after yours pointed out that you need to have auto-follow turned on in the parameters of the morph in question. I tried that, and now clothing and other attachments follow the morph just fine. Mr. Hyde looks...interesting with the Arm of the Demon King attached. 

Well, I spoke too soon! The morph issue is solved, but the rigging still has isses. When I applied an animation, some of the joints such as the fingers and shins have wierd twists and buldges. I did use the "Adjust Rigging to Shape Tool". When I export as FBX and look at it in Cinema4D, I can see the bones are not all in the right place.

Anyone know if there is a way to just capture the my custom convert charater morph head shap only? Then I could start with the base Genesis female 8 female, apply my custom head, and manually adjust the shape of the rest of the body.

I bought a tool called Shape Spliter that seperates the head morph. Now my Genesis female 2 female has been completly converted to a Genesis female 8 female and looks exactly the same and if fully animatable!

edited October 2023
    brucek5 said:

I bought a tool called Shape Spliter that seperates the head morph. Now my Genesis female 2 female has been completly converted to a Genesis female 8 female and looks exactly the same and if fully animatable!

I've had Shape Splitter for a long time, but finally got around to using it the other night. I had no problems. I did find that the Mr. Hyde morph I had converted from G3M to G8M with X-Transfer acted weird when posing. The hands explode like the spaghettification that happened in the latest episode of Loki. I tried manually converting the morph, and this version poses just fine.
    Post edited by riftwitch on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,779

Did you know that 'Zero' is often chosen when 'Restore' is the true intent? You may be confronted to answer 'Which is the intent in this case?' How can we remember which is which, you ask? Well, here's what we know:

'Zero' is literal - Properties are assigned a value of '0" (or their respective equivelents), which may have unintended consequences

'Restore' is implicit - Properties are assigned their respect 'default' (memorized) values, which may not be '0' (or equivelent)

This showed up when I did my latest conversion. Does it matter which we choose?

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 2023

[deleted]

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on
    edited February 16

...OK I did a pretty stupid thing. . I accidentally transferred a full body and head morph for a G3 character (Rain) that already had a value of 100 set in the slider to G8F.   When I opened one of my characters to work on a scene I found that the transferred shape totally messed up the character.  I closed that scene and loaded the base G8F figure.  I deleted boith fhe full body and head  the property but when I  went to close the scene again the programme queried me if I waned to save it, the trouble is If I did that it would save the Base G8F to the folder where my other custom characters are located, not the one where it's supposed to be.  I thne navigated to the top G8F folder in Daz>Library>People anbd saved it there but the default "G8F" icon was replaced with  with one showing the character as it appears in the viewport.  The worst part,the sliders I deleted returned again.

ETA:

After a bit I figured out what needed to be done. To remove the unwanted morphs I had to go into the Library>Data folder navigate to the Genesis 8>Female>Mrorphs>XTransfer folder to delete the folder containing the Rain Character morphs . That apparently worked save for I sitll have that odd icon in the content tab for the Base G8F figure andI now get an annoying popup about missing files for Rain character body/head shapes when I open base G8F one of the cahracters based on it or any saved custom characters I created,. 

Oh well, I guess I'll have to be stuck with that as the only other way I think will totally fix everything to where it originally was would be to uninstall and reinstall the G8F essentials but that would likely delete all the morphs, settings and shapes that were already transferred.

Post edited by kyoto kid on