DAZ Studio 4.12 ... Face creation abilities????

Comments

• freni-kynfreni-kyn Posts: 394
    edited October 2019

Here is a couple actors. They came out ok. Karen looks the best out of these 2.  This is straight renders no post work.

Kinda weirds me out how accurate our technology is becoming.  It seems to have difficulty with wide faces.  Guessing we can tweak to perfection afterwards?

Post edited by Chohole on
  • freni-kynfreni-kyn Posts: 394

as I don't use DS except for minor things I thought I'd give the face thingy a go... to see if it can be useful for Carrara.. anyways

just leaving this here to see if anyone knows who this fella is ( it ain't hard lol ) .... just opened DS default opened the face creator pushed a couple of buttons and got this.  frown  surprise

Michael J. Fox? My second guess would be Daniel Radcliffe but he seems too young for all those wrinkles...

This is not Michael J. Fox...lol.  This is that actor, Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean, correct?

I also thought it was Mr. Bean.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560

I'm pretty happy with this silly little result, although I should have spent some time manually tweaking the auto-created morph. Like others have said, this tool isn't quite ready for close-ups (partially because it doesn't create any other maps than diffuse), but for medium distances, it really does make recognizable characters. Just make sure you use large photos with balanced lighting (that is *REALLY* important).

fae_bump_by_snowsultan.png
    2000 x 1633 - 6M
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Is that you meeting Obama?!

Not me, just my character, but yes.   :)

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,540

Has anyone tried a robot face like a Gundam? LOL  How do you even use this?

• tkdrobert said:

i havn't tried a gundam. I did try cat faces, they don't work. The software needs actual human  points to make the face. Though the more human features the better chance it will work.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    tkdrobert said:

i havn't tried a gundam. I did try cat faces, they don't work. The software needs actual human  points to make the face. Though the more human features the better chance it will work.

Yes I tried a cat too and failed

software that uses face fitting is needed like Crazytalk

I have done cat textured Character Creator figures for iClone that way

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    edited October 2019

Looks somehow familiar...

Hero01.jpg
    1024 x 1200 - 229K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I'm pretty happy with this silly little result, although I should have spent some time manually tweaking the auto-created morph. Like others have said, this tool isn't quite ready for close-ups (partially because it doesn't create any other maps than diffuse), but for medium distances, it really does make recognizable characters. Just make sure you use large photos with balanced lighting (that is *REALLY* important).

Oh my! It should be Obama that is in awe!

• barrieMbarrieM Posts: 292

Is this face generator related to Headshop 11 in the Daz store? https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=headshop 11

It is a stand alone and / or plugin for DS. There is an interesting video on its use on a Macintosh. Have any Mac users tried it out?  

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,262
    edited October 2019

Well since everybody else has been comparing "apples 'n oranges" though my copy is nowhere near the updated edition that covers all the figures, making due therefore with it covering Genesis ... and FaceGen on G8M. The outdated 'what I have' does not make extra morphs. For fun ;-)

The morph applied by FaceGen worked nicely as indeed this character's nose is flatter than a Roman Charioteer's for example. The same "shades of grey" image was applied to both programs resulting in these face textures. When spot rendered, the result is as seen. Obviously one does not normally use "shades of grey" on the Diffuse channel ... and a little texture work is required to make either better. To note: one should avoid "heavy eyebrows overshadowing eyes" for use in Face Transfer.

paint program.png
    778 x 684 - 423K
    Apples 'n Oranges.png
    672 x 610 - 513K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • i am totally convinced, my first try on facetransfer was a complete success.

bianca1.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 2M
  • i am totally convinced, my first try on facetransfer was a complete success.

Nice, congrats :-)

• I've been playing with Face Generator & for 35 bucks on sale it's so not worth it. Using only one straight on image it can't really be any good. All the characters look like aliens from the side.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited October 2019

Yeppers hence why I am a fecegen user and got a refund..I was hoping it may have been an alternative option if I had a hard time with a face gen attempt.

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • I'm pretty happy with this silly little result, although I should have spent some time manually tweaking the auto-created morph. Like others have said, this tool isn't quite ready for close-ups (partially because it doesn't create any other maps than diffuse), but for medium distances, it really does make recognizable characters. Just make sure you use large photos with balanced lighting (that is *REALLY* important).

looks good to me

• tkdrobert said:

Yes I tried a cat too and failed

software that uses face fitting is needed like Crazytalk

I have done cat textured Character Creator figures for iClone that way

dosen't work in the other progs either well the older faceshop, don't know about one click and doesn't in facegen tried in that though haven't tried with the new cgi CATS movie type

• I purchased and still have forehead tattoos. What gives?
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    I purchased and still have forehead tattoos. What gives?

Get your serial here, enter in DAZ Studio Serial Number location for Face Transfer plugin, restart DAZ Studio, & you're good to go. Or should be. You need to be on Windows 64 bit though.

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/serialnumbers

edited October 2019

Even if I do not get nice textures all the time after Face Transfer, it creates quite distinct morphs, that can be used with different materials.

Below is another face transfer example with Darius 8 materials applied - https://www.daz3d.com/darius-8

ft302.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 162K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited October 2019

Is it possible, that there are different versions of Face Transfer out there?

My copy creates mostly reddish like monster versions of the textures

or the ghostly white ones

Anyhow, it is interesting to see, what details are created by Face Transfer.

And it all started with Genesis 8 Basic Male - just amazing.

ft304.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 149K
    ft305.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 141K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,792

I'm still debating with myself. Is it worth it to me .. as in, would I use it really. 

The first thing I did (and the first thing DAZ should probably work on fixing) is to turn down the auto-generated translucency. There's no translucency map, so everything becomes noticably red, including the eyebrows.

edited October 2019

After further tweaks, I got a regular guy, hanging around at the gates.

Nyckeln005sc06pic03.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 223K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • If anybody is interested, there are some face morphs in today's sales.

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-8-male-head-morphs  
    https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-8-female-head-morphs

• daveso said:

I'm still debating with myself. Is it worth it to me .. as in, would I use it really. 

That's what "wish lists" are for ... wait until the price and/or desire is there ;-)

edited October 2019

One can also turn the Face Transfer created characters into figurines.

I have used the excelent Sculptural - https://www.daz3d.com/sculptural-genesis-8-ultra-fun-kit - for the render below.

ft306.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 237K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 110

At default-

1) seems to make red faces, why is that.  A lot of times the image will not be red in hue at all, and then the result is red, ESPECIALLY by the eyebrows.  And this will be despite the fact the the eyebrows in the photo were not red at all.

2) the wide chin, it has a difficlt time interpretting witdth.  It makes huge jaws. 

3) it will try to match body colors and many times will give bad results...like, it will have a pale head with a more red body, or a super red face and a pale body.

Yeah, I mentioned it four posts above, but the redness is caused by the auto-applied translucency values. Lower that to reduce the redness.