DAZ Studio 4.12 ... Face creation abilities????

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,169
    Dave230 said:

They use a different mesh model to display it in their apps, so the conversion isn't perfect.

You could try to do the conversion yourself, but you need all of these apps to do it:
    - FaceGen Modeller - lets you export your FG model to a 3d format
    - R3DS Wrap - lets you wrap a 3d model onto a mesh with a different topology

So, export your FG model to a 3d head bust, and then wrap the Genesis base character onto it using R3DS Wrap.
    Use Morph Loader Pro to create a morph of it.

I don't have these apps, so I can't tell you if this will work flawlessly or not.

Nice, but indy version of R3DS Wrap costs $370.

• Cesar SejourneCesar Sejourne Posts: 14
    edited September 2019

I have varying results, but one thing has been consistent so far. The faces I've produced all have "sparkling eyes." I see that with some of the renders shown here, but not others. I've changed out the eyes, and get different iris colors, but it doesn't get rid of the sparklies. I've edited the textures to blank out the eyes and that doesn't work either. Any ideas? The horizontal line with different reflectivity above and below is also always there, but not always at the same place.

I have the same problem with eyes. Have you find a soluce ?

Post edited by Cesar Sejourne on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,333
    Petercat said:
    Havos said:
    Richard,I am sorry, I haven't seen an answer posted, are the morphs created able to be use commercially?

Regardless of the DAZ rules, bear in mind that if you use a real persons image as part of your work, in theory you need model rights from that person. This is particularly true for celebrities who protect their image rights strongly.

Speaking as a non-lawyer photographer, that's not exactly true. For example, if it's in public, you don't. Paparazzi?
    Or in private, in some situations. There are plenty of resources online that go into detail, such as here: http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm, or in the UK, here: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/photography-video-capture/cameras/photographers-rights-the-ultimate-guide-1320949

While these are for photography, some of them would apply to 3D creations, such as satire or, in general, non-revenue producing work such as renders of people used here in the forums.

In short, a model release is normally required only when you hope to profit from the images.

Well the poster's question was if the morph could be used commercially, hence my answer reflected that. Naturally with non-commercial fan art, things tend to be more lax.

• maison said:

I have varying results, but one thing has been consistent so far. The faces I've produced all have "sparkling eyes." I see that with some of the renders shown here, but not others. I've changed out the eyes, and get different iris colors, but it doesn't get rid of the sparklies. I've edited the textures to blank out the eyes and that doesn't work either. Any ideas? The horizontal line with different reflectivity above and below is also always there, but not always at the same place.

Take a look at the posts following that one of mine you quoted. Mess with the surface settings, particularly for moisture. I haven't found a perfect solution, but just dropping Glossy Layered Weight from 1 to 0 was a big improvement.

• This seems to be a cheaper, possibly more affordable version of HeadShop:

https://www.daz3d.com/headshop-oneclick2

Like the fact that it can use data from rotated and smiling faces, but does anyone know what it means by it not including "libraries of hair, accessories or color palette"?

Like the fact that it can use data from rotated and smiling faces, but does anyone know what it means by it not including "libraries of hair, accessories or color palette"?

It simply means that you will use your own hair, hats and sunglasses that you purchase from DAZ.

Popup_04.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 267K
  • Okay ... my rather intricately detailed tutorial is now available. Here's the post.

It simply means that you will use your own hair, hats and sunglasses that you purchase from DAZ.

The original product includes hair and glasses? surprise

Which "colour palettes" is it referring to? Is it unable to create skin for the facial emulation?

edited September 2019

Okay ... my rather intricately detailed tutorial is now available. Here's the post.

Sorry, is it really PDF inside the zip? I only get the message saying:

pdf01.png
    767 x 150 - 23K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Leo LeeLeo Lee Posts: 184
    edited September 2019

Playing with Face Transfer.

Even if is not 100% accurate you can create interesting characters. 

Bolsonaro.jpg
    1280 x 897 - 273K
    Faustao.jpg
    1280 x 897 - 290K
    Megan.jpg
    1280 x 897 - 325K
    Liu1.jpg
    1280 x 897 - 291K
    liu2.jpg
    836 x 794 - 83K
    exorcist.jpg
    1280 x 897 - 311K
    mask.jpg
    1280 x 897 - 266K
    zombie.jpg
    1280 x 897 - 302K
    Post edited by Leo Lee on

Very nice, Leo Lee.

edited September 2019

Below is my attempt - I called him: one eyebrow man ;)

other109sc03pic01.jpg
    1024 x 1200 - 223K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited September 2019

It is also fun to test different materials on the characters created with Face Transfer.

It will narrow the selection of character materials, that works well with different morphs.

Belows is materials from Diego 8 - https://www.daz3d.com/diego-8

other109sc03pic02Diego.jpg
    1024 x 1200 - 240K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited September 2019

Another one, with materials of Edward 8 - https://www.daz3d.com/edward-8

other109sc03pic04Edward.jpg
    1024 x 1200 - 255K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Okay ... my rather intricately detailed tutorial is now available. Here's the post.

Yes there really is a .pdf in there ... over 80mb of one!

I checked the upload at time of, and again just now. Downloaded, unzipped, works fine. Maybe it's a busy time?

yes there is really a pdf in there.png
    1552 x 778 - 82K
    edited September 2019

But how is that possible? I have used materials from Elios 8 - https://www.daz3d.com/elios-8

Look at the nose end (between the nostrils). It looks like materials could partially change the shape of the face.

other109sc03pic03Elios.jpg
    1024 x 1200 - 243K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Leo LeeLeo Lee Posts: 184

Playing with Face Transfer.

Even if is not 100% accurate you can create interesting characters. 

Artini said:

Another one, with materials of Edward 8 - https://www.daz3d.com/edward-8

Great! It's good to create face shapes.

• Artini said:

But how is that possible? I have used materials from Elios 8 - https://www.daz3d.com/elios-8

Look at the nose end (between the nostrils). It looks like materials could partially change the shape of the face.

They really do. You can get very different results of the same person, just using slightly different photographs. One I attempted even had Daz Studio creatre textures of enlarged nostrils over teh skin, instead of changing the shape of the nose, itself, whereas some other pictures of exactly the same person (all with mouth closed, equal lighting and so on) gave different shapes.

Whereas another picture with slightly different lighting caused a much more realistic crease above the upper lips to be made into a texture, no reshaping, yet it made the end result much more convincing.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,579
    edited October 2019

what is the verdict? worth buying the unlocked version?

Post edited by daveso on
    Artini said:

I checked the upload at time of, and again just now. Downloaded, unzipped, works fine. Maybe it's a busy time?

Sorry, it was my fault. The file opens perfectly in Acrobat Reader.

Thanks a lot for the great tutorial.

• Cesar SejourneCesar Sejourne Posts: 14
    edited October 2019
    maison said:

Take a look at the posts following that one of mine you quoted. Mess with the surface settings, particularly for moisture. I haven't found a perfect solution, but just dropping Glossy Layered Weight from 1 to 0 was a big improvement.

Thank you for your answer. Yes i see that but i'm suprised because it seems that everyone does not encounter the problem (when i see the last pictures).

I have already encountered this problem before "face transfert" when I apply eye texture A on a body B.

The picture of the eye (in repertory texture) seem be correct. Is it a rendering problem with the render graphics card ?

Post edited by Cesar Sejourne on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,318
    Havos said:
    Petercat said:
    Havos said:
    Richard,I am sorry, I haven't seen an answer posted, are the morphs created able to be use commercially?

Regardless of the DAZ rules, bear in mind that if you use a real persons image as part of your work, in theory you need model rights from that person. This is particularly true for celebrities who protect their image rights strongly.

Speaking as a non-lawyer photographer, that's not exactly true. For example, if it's in public, you don't. Paparazzi?
    Or in private, in some situations. There are plenty of resources online that go into detail, such as here: http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm, or in the UK, here: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/photography-video-capture/cameras/photographers-rights-the-ultimate-guide-1320949

While these are for photography, some of them would apply to 3D creations, such as satire or, in general, non-revenue producing work such as renders of people used here in the forums.

In short, a model release is normally required only when you hope to profit from the images.

Well the poster's question was if the morph could be used commercially, hence my answer reflected that. Naturally with non-commercial fan art, things tend to be more lax.

I was responding to you, and your erronious statement about model releases.
    Photographers often sell photographs of famous people without their permission.
    Problems come when you use their image to promote a product, but even then
    there's wiggle room.
    For example, could Coca-Cola display a billboard of Michael Jackson drinking a can of Coke?
    As long as it was taken in a place where he had no expectation of privacy, certainly.
    Could they include text stating that Michael preferred Coke to Pepsi? Nope-nope-nope.
    I suspect a court would say no if Coke used a 3D created image of Michael drinking a Coke, however.
    It all depends on established judicial reasoning, such as how the judge's wife treated him the night before.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    There's no point in getting into a legal discussion that ends up locking this thread.

I'd use Headship but its got too many problems that haven't been resolved. Like how it is not capable of shaping eyelashes with Genesis 8, the morph doesn't effect them at all. The morph does effect teeth and other parts of the body in ways it should not. The texture doesn't even attempt to blend. Its buggy. Using some of the dials inside Headshop's app causes the head to bug out and cannot be fixed without closing the app and starting over.

Stuff like that, which has been brought up multiple times without response. Yet he came to post about how the app can handle a smile. That doesn't sit well with me. You need to fix the foundation first.

Though to be fair, the people behind Facegen have never posted even once in Daz's forum. But I have communicated to them at their Google site and email. But their foundation has always been sound.

I took a selfy and it was ... ME . no need for all this 3D wacky looking likeness of someone or yourself ... unless you're 3D printing. 

I note that the watermark is there even on 1st time use. Is it when you save that it goes away? It is also on the obj file ...  if you delete all surfaces, will it go away?

• Artini said:
    Artini said:

Sorry, it was my fault. The file opens perfectly in Acrobat Reader.

Thanks a lot for the great tutorial.

That's okay -- sometimes it's their servers acting up ;-) Best to check and I did.

You're welcome for the tutorial, hope it helps.

• daveso said:

Absolutely IMHO. I bought it before even having a program to run it in! When finally I got the download for 4.12, entered the serial key and tested the plugin. On the first image the match of texture to the model was the best I've seen done by any of the programs I have tried, and it was so fast.

Now, do the morphs look 100% like the photographs, who does. Taking off one's hair, colour, etc. makes everybody look funny lol ... Basic shape is there, can be fully tweaked using additional morphs [see my tutorial for how to save those out] ... the rest of the illusion is in the quality of the photograph. And again, as is normal some touch-ups may be necessary [like removing eyelashes] if one wants to use the figures esp. for close-ups.

Use the Save function IN the plugin to have the new texture sets saved to proper folders in the Runtime structure. To enhance images, as is done with other skin sets, a variety of other textures would be required, i.e. for bump, displacement, etc. When all is looking pretty, save out the new mat files :-)

awesome .. now to get that 30% off coupon to work again.laugh

daveso said:

Absolutely IMHO. I bought it before even having a program to run it in! When finally I got the download for 4.12, entered the serial key and tested the plugin. On the first image the match of texture to the model was the best I've seen done by any of the programs I have tried, and it was so fast.

Now, do the morphs look 100% like the photographs, who does. Taking off one's hair, colour, etc. makes everybody look funny lol ... Basic shape is there, can be fully tweaked using additional morphs [see my tutorial for how to save those out] ... the rest of the illusion is in the quality of the photograph. And again, as is normal some touch-ups may be necessary [like removing eyelashes] if one wants to use the figures esp. for close-ups.

Use the Save function IN the plugin to have the new texture sets saved to proper folders in the Runtime structure. To enhance images, as is done with other skin sets, a variety of other textures would be required, i.e. for bump, displacement, etc. When all is looking pretty, save out the new mat files :-)

• daveso said:

I took a selfy and it was ... ME . no need for all this 3D wacky looking likeness of someone or yourself ... unless you're 3D printing. 

I note that the watermark is there even on 1st time use. Is it when you save that it goes away? It is also on the obj file ...  if you delete all surfaces, will it go away?

When you save ot when you buy a full license - but you have to asve (from the pane) to make the transfer permanent - otherwise the maps will be deleted on DS close and you will have to rerun the Face Transfer to get them back.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

daveso said:

Can you dress yourself or friends in the costumes you have in Daz Studio? Place yourself in an alien or fantasy environment? What if you want an actor's likeness for convincing fan-art or for a character in a story?

That is the sort of stuff this is for. If all you want are conventional facial portraist, yeah, you're not going to need it. But then, you shouldn't really be needing Daz Studio for anything, if that's so. :)

• freni-kynfreni-kyn Posts: 394
    Redz said:

Here's a quick and dirty comparison with the other app I own, Facegen Artist Pro 2, using a high res resource image for the face. The output textures are the same size, 4098, but the quality is not as crisp with the FaceTransfer utility. Neither is perfect. I used the Face Transfer generated shaders for both.

Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.