DAZ Studio 4.12 ... Face creation abilities????

Comments

• DripDrip Posts: 1,184

Everyone seem to be doing actors.  Has anyone done themselves or a friend yet?  I'm staying away from the actors because from what I've seen, Face Transfer will work better with a photo that is not very busy (i.e. long hair and such).  Maybe an ideal photo would be one where the model have their hair pulled back or no hair at all (like the Will Smith render)?

It was a model photo, but that's exactly what I used. Hair drawn back tightly in a bun, so it was barely visible on the image. Also very even lighting (possibly too even?), mouth closed (resulting in a model with the mouth slightly opened). But, this particular photoset of the model was made specifically for 3D CG modeling. It also came with photos from all sides, tilting the head up and down, mouth opened and closed, etcetera.

Looking directly from the front, the face transfer looks somewhat similar. But pan the camera a few degrees around the model, and it quickly becomes an alien.

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,050
    Finlaena said:

Ooooo, Face Creation? Sounds co---

Windows Only.

... Oh. :/

Windows only?  You must be kidding?  In the 21sr century?  Windows only is like rotary telephones, typewriters, and black & white TV.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited September 2019

Everyone seem to be doing actors.  Has anyone done themselves or a friend yet?  I'm staying away from the actors because from what I've seen, Face Transfer will work better with a photo that is not very busy (i.e. long hair and such).  Maybe an ideal photo would be one where the model have their hair pulled back or no hair at all (like the Will Smith render)?

in my art studio thread on this topic started last week there are many of my ugly head

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/351636/is-there-a-face-transfer-thread/p1

a few other people's heads too

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited September 2019

Im getting a refund cause 1 it sucks compared to facegen. 2 4.12 is comletely unusable for me. The camera jumps with the mouse button the action menus soon stop working a few moves in.. Rolled back to 4.10

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    Fauvist said:
    Finlaena said:

Ooooo, Face Creation? Sounds co---

Windows Only.

... Oh. :/

Windows only?  You must be kidding?  In the 21sr century?  Windows only is like rotary telephones, typewriters, and black & white TV.

People still like to eat and have a roof over their head in the 21st century, and therefore still cater primarily to the biggest market.

• i agree with some.   it needs work. especially the texures. they look like a 5yr old fingerpaint job.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071
    edited September 2019

Again, does anybody know how the morph between mouth and nose is called since this is the part which gets messed up everytime via Face Transfer? The goal is to reduce the space between mouth and nose. Thank you. 

I also would like to shorten the distance between the nose and mouth, but I can't find any face morphs that do this. Some morphs do contain the word philium, but they only change the shape of the philium, they don't change the vertical distance around it. A morph like that would have to shorten the head too, I think.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • Wow very impressive addon, one of the best out there hands down !  If you are buying it in hope to 100% match a photo you will be disapointed.

But if you are buying this to create random characters that ''kind'' of look like the picture you uploaded, you will have a blast.

• Those logos on the forehead! Is it he sign of the beast? LOL!
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I did because if you are like me & not that artistic you aren't even sure if the way famous people look in their pictures in Google Searches is actually accurate. Even using high resolution pictures of myself I was not sure because light intensity and light angle are so important to what your eye notices. So I used my finger tips to feel the contour of my face and I realized not only was Face Transfer way off but FaceGen was way off too though by not as much. It's interesting learning experience, especially in perception, even when I try to see details I know are there in real life it's hard to notice them in a picture if the lighting does not emphasize it. I never paid that much attention to face geometry before 3D models hobby.

One or two others also did their own faces and posted the results in a thread about Face Transfer in the Art Studio thread here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/351636/is-there-a-face-transfer-thread#latest

• Dave230 said:

Again, does anybody know how the morph between mouth and nose is called since this is the part which gets messed up everytime via Face Transfer? The goal is to reduce the space between mouth and nose. Thank you. 

I also would like to shorten the distance between the nose and mouth, but I can't find any face morphs that do this. Some morphs do contain the word philium, but they only change the shape of the philium, they don't change the vertical distance around it. A morph like that would have to shorten the head too, I think.

Use tab [SHAPING] section mouth, erc_mouth height and section nose, erc_nostril wing height to change the gap .

• Everyone seem to be doing actors.  Has anyone done themselves or a friend yet?  I'm staying away from the actors because from what I've seen, Face Transfer will work better with a photo that is not very busy (i.e. long hair and such).  Maybe an ideal photo would be one where the model have their hair pulled back or no hair at all (like the Will Smith render)?

in my art studio thread on this topic started last week there are many of my ugly head

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/351636/is-there-a-face-transfer-thread/p1

a few other people's heads too

I liked what I saw.  Maybe some people are looking for things to be exactly like something but as far as I'm concerned, I believe in stylization, so if the image looks close to recognizable then that's more than enough to work with.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I purchased it but won't get a chance to play with it until this weekend.

I'm curious as to speed to create the morph?

I'm not interested in re-creating famous people, but more wanting to create quickly random characters. I tend to get lost in tweaking dial morphs and waste time.

From what I'm seeing posted, it seems even though it doesn't match perfectly an actor, it does create a unique morph that seems to suit what I want it to do.

Any of those who tested it, quick/painless to get a morph? Or is it tons more work to get a decent morph from what's produced by the default push buttons?

Very quick to produce a morph - and wonderful for creating random characters quickly.  No utility is going to match the quality of a crafted commercial character that someone has worked many painstaking hours to create - but this is great to use for "quick and dirty" background characters, and also a great starting point to edit a more crafted result.

• Thank you PhilW. Understood about not matching a commercial character. What you describe sounds exactly what I was hoping for.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071
    Rakker said:
    Dave230 said:

Use tab [SHAPING] section mouth, erc_mouth height and section nose, erc_nostril wing height to change the gap .

Thanks, Mouth Height works great, but it only moves the mouth, so the chin gets larger.  I also found Jaw Height that moves the entire chin and lower part of the face.  Tweaking both Mouth Height and Jaw Height seems to help.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153

I don't see how that cannot be implemented in 3d since that is pretty much what the AI Deepfakes is doing.    I hope this techs moves forward into more AI based computation and become a lot more accurate.

Heh, given enough resources pretty much anything is possible.. but I think it's worth remembering that Daz's resources are not only finite, but limited.. so it's all a matter of prioritising most bang for the develeopment buck.

Note I'm not part of the dev team, but I am aware given there isn't a huge development team at all, what they've implemented into DS so far (ie this, dforce physics, hair etc) is pretty damn sweet. I'm sure this tech will also continue to be developed.. but yea, don't hold you're breath for AI deepfakes just yet.

Much as I appreciate what Daz is trying to do, yeah....I'm  not gonna pay to beta test :). But it's fun to play with when I'm bored. LOL

Laurie

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    Dave230 said:
    Rakker said:
    Dave230 said:

Thanks, Mouth Height works great, but it only moves the mouth, so the chin gets larger.  I also found Jaw Height that moves the entire chin and lower part of the face.  Tweaking both Mouth Height and Jaw Height seems to help.

You can also raise and lower the mouth as well. Try a little each of the mouth and nose height.

Laurie

• 3djoji3djoji Posts: 1,088
    edited September 2019

This tool is awesome. Combined with some extra mesh tuning from Zev0 (200 plus bundle for instance), I was able to get a stunning shape. I think I will play a lot with this one.

gabriel-02.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 270K
    Post edited by 3djoji on
  • 3djoji said:

This tool is awesome. Combined with some extra mesh tuning from Zev0 (200 plus bundle for instance), I was able to get a stunning shape. I think I will play a lot with this one.

That is absolutely awesome.  It looks just like him almost.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    3djoji said:

Brilliant job!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

The web crawler unmasked.

• I've had more of a play. Only got good results with a nice clean celebrity headshot - and then it only looks good from nearly face-on. All the morphs seem to flatten the face so they really need to add an extra side-on and/or 3/4 face sample. Other than that, it's ok I guess.

• How do I activate the free version of Face Transfer in DAZ .12.0.86 Pro 64 bit?  In plugins all I get is an empty field looking for a serial number.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/07/09c12036d96f48526daeef1b011344.jpg

Go to a browser and this link in your DAZ accounts under serial numbers & it will be the last one in the list if you've bought it.

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/serialnumbers

Thanks nonesuch00, I didn't buy it yet....I was thinking we could use a free version with a watermark first and then purchase it later.  Maybe the free version of Face transfer  was for DAZ 4.12 Beta only?   

You can - it should be active and available, with watermark, without entering a serial number. If you are using the Windows 64 bit version of DS 4.12.0.86 and don't have Window>Panes(Tabs)>Face Transfer then please open a support ticket.

Thanks Richard

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    edited September 2019

Another trial...

fc202.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 243K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • OK, I've been experimenting with this for a while. The resolution/size of the reference image definitely seems to help, although you definitely have to be careful with hair. Sometimes I've got great results, figured I'd just change the skin to one from an existing character product, but the one it generated turned out to be half the illusionary battle!

Don't just play around with one. I've discovered you have to use a variety of different pictures and see which one it gets the best result from. They tend to differ.

• 3djoji said:

Good job!

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

There are rules to follow to get the most out of it, which mirror those of Facegen.

-No toothy smiles, or smiles in general. Keep the expression neutral.

-Use as even lighting as possible.

-Keep hair out of face

-Keep the face level and pointed at the camera. If the face is tilted to the side, just use photoshop or something to straighten it out first.

-Using clear and higher resolution pics will help.

-FOV is important. If you are too close to the face, this distorts the result. Keep the camera back. You want a high quality pic, but not zoomed right up on the subject.

That is a lot of stipulations to consider, and even then, there may still be issues depending on the subject's face. This software can do some things, but Facegen is better. However Facegen is also a lot more expensive, and it certainly is not perfect, either. Facegen allows you to use any texture set as a base. The Pro version sold at Daz can export to ANY Genesis base 1-8, while Face Transfer only does G8. That's cheap Daz! You could at least support G3 since they are so similar.

I am surprised we haven't got to a point where we can use some deepfake AI like tech for this. It has to be possible, did you guys see that Chinese app "Zao" bringing deepfakes to phones. Phones! At the very least, it should be able to create a texture, which is a big part of the battle.

Anyway, I got curious, I do not have this yet since I have not updated Daz yet. But I wanted to see what I could do with one of the images posted here.

Sooo, not having much luck... Margot Robbie Face Transfer and then with Mousso's Ryleigh texture....

So what I did was first do a reverse image search to see if I could find a larger pic. I found the exact image at 1600x994. Not huge, but bigger than what was posted here. I then went by my rule and rotated the image a bit until her eyes were level. Then I fired up Facegen, and exported to G8. Of course, with Facegen you must manually apply the textures. I applied them to the default G8 female. She turned out super red, a combination of the generated texture being a bit red plus Daz's strange fetish with orange people. So turned the trans map color to pure white, and the SSS color to white as well. I placed the Facegen textures in both the color and translucency sections. I gave her bluejaunte Amira green eyes, and that is all. I made no texture edits. Even with so little effort, she turns out OK.

To help visualize the morph that FG created, I rendered a clay version. The is the FG shape dialed in to 100% and nothing else.

You can see the shape looks alright. I am actually surprised just how well it worked. I wanted a better image, so I applied bluejaunte Amira's full material preset and gave her a LIE eyeliner. I then replaced the color textures with the textures Facegen created. I also gave her Super Natural Brows, which the default brow fit Margo's face almost perfectly. I made her lashes a bit longer, and that is all I did to make this.

Comparing this Facegen version VS Daz Face Transfer is IMO a no contest. Daz needs to get the lips fixed urgently, and the face contour for that matter. It doesn't seem like Face Transfer is applying much of a morph at all here. The nose is about the only thing it gets sort of right.

Here is my list of things to improve.

-Lip detection, head shape, eyes, eh, all of that.

-add options to use side view pics as well as front pics for better accuracy.

-add options to adjust skin output color, level of blending (to avoid clown faces), and choice of a general skin map. For example, clean shaved necklines or not for men. Basically a few things that Skin Builder might do.

-support for multiple generations. I think its pretty bad that G8 is the only supported model. 

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited September 2019

Here is what I am talking about this is Deanna Lund as Valerie Scott on late 60's show Land Of The Giants 1st is face transfer second is Facegen nedless to say Facegen rules!

An older 3DL render of face genned Shemar Moore.

2ae4b334-81d8-4df0-83c9-1333f6b60e57_1.c10060ba3aac65d2b30bb49de8a1b1ff.jpeg
    450 x 450 - 54K
    dl.png
    541 x 527 - 238K
    FG.png
    729 x 611 - 691K
    d4hv01e-17c50fb7-16fd-4393-a1a1-80cdec63713f.png
    340 x 279 - 127K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
  • where do i find the plugin for this