DAZ Studio 4.12 ... Face creation abilities????

Comments

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70

So tried out the free version, was more than pleased with it compared to FaceGen or Headshop, so buckled under and bought the Unlimited version.....Face Transfer on left, Face Gen on right....because it is integrated right into Genesis 8 Character, you can use morphs to msake necessary adjustments, and and use expressions......Im quite pleased with it!

Stevie Face Transder 2B.jpg
    1203 x 1080 - 427K
    Stevie Avatar 2014.jpg
    1086 x 605 - 80K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    StevieC said:

So tried out the free version, was more than pleased with it compared to FaceGen or Headshop, so buckled under and bought the Unlimited version.....Face Transfer on left, Face Gen on right....because it is integrated right into Genesis 8 Character, you can use morphs to msake necessary adjustments, and and use expressions......Im quite pleased with it!

Very nice. I also like Face Transfer the best, because of its direct integration in Daz Studio and easy way to use it.

• jonascsjonascs Posts: 35
    edited October 2019

I like the new Face transfer too.

however there are some things i wish were implemented.

1: the possibility to rotate your reference image. If the image is in profile view the Face transfer program turn the image into landscape view. A rotate function would help. Best would be a slider that can rotate the image 360 degrees.

2: the added optional function of a profile image for better end result. As the chin and check usually needs some manual corrections.

3: possibility to choose the hue and saturation of the skin that is not the face. I have ended up with weird combos where the Face is my image and the body is super red.

thats just the things i can come up with now. Other than that I Love this feature! /J

Post edited by jonascs on
  • notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 110

I wonder if there is an optimal photo-type (1) hue-wise and (2) lighting-wise that works best.  Because if the image has too much lighting or hue shift, it will be memorialized in the texture bake.  

It would be really cool if your used image could be 'matched' via some reference target hue and lightness, so that you could kind of benchmark a photo to proper 'default' for optimal Daz results....

You know what I mean? 

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

@jonascs and @notiusweb I really feel that most of your listed issues could be fixed by editing the source image a little before using it in Face Transfer. And the rest of the skin not matching the face should be relatively simple to fix by editing the non-face skin surfaces after the Face Transfer is done. Yes, it would be nice to have these things built in but it would complicate the tool and by doing it before/after the process, it is addressable to a large extent.

I agree the addition of an optional profile image would be useful and hopefully would make the transfers that bit more accurate and true-to-life. Maybe that will be added in the future.

• notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 110
    PhilW said:

@jonascs and @notiusweb I really feel that most of your listed issues could be fixed by editing the source image a little before using it in Face Transfer. And the rest of the skin not matching the face should be relatively simple to fix by editing the non-face skin surfaces after the Face Transfer is done. Yes, it would be nice to have these things built in but it would complicate the tool and by doing it before/after the process, it is addressable to a large extent.

I agree the addition of an optional profile image would be useful and hopefully would make the transfers that bit more accurate and true-to-life. Maybe that will be added in the future.

You know, it may be just a matter, like you say, of coming up with our own trial and error in finding what is the best image color scheme and then modding that image in PShop / Gimp to get  the colors on point.  I had one where there was an ugly yellow hue at points, so I painted the face yellow on parts of a subtract-layer, and got it perfect to where I wanted it.  

But things like a blotch remover would be handy.  Every time there is hair over-hanging the face, for example, you get a black bruise on the face in the converted texture where the hair was.  So you have to mod those externally.  But would be great to have an auto-fixer for that.

PS - your products are awesome heart

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    notiusweb said:
    PhilW said:

PS - your products are awesome heart

Thank you, very kind of you to say!

edited October 2019

I have just noticed, how important is the image provided to Face Transfer.

With better quality image, I got the lips looking even better.

One can always extend the default look pretty easily in graphic editor, like Corel PaintShop, still available at low price in the bundle.

imageimage

imageimage

Fem005sc02pic02.jpg
    730 x 1024 - 159K
    Fem005sc02pic02Slumber.jpg
    730 x 1024 - 185K
    Fem005sc02pic02Sunset.jpg
    730 x 1024 - 166K
    Fem005sc02pic02Watercolor.jpg
    730 x 1024 - 170K
    Fem005sc02pic02VividSkinTones.jpg
    730 x 1024 - 166K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited October 2019

The character created with Face Transfer from the photo of the same person, from slightly different angle.

I have also changed Translucency Color to white on the skin and the lips.

What a change - I had no idea that the look of the character, depends such heavily on the choice of the Translucency Color.

Have also used lovely Edwardian hair - https://www.daz3d.com/my-edwardian-hair-for-genesis-8-females

Fem018sc02pic01.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 205K
    Fem018sc02pic01scr2.jpg
    356 x 265 - 38K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

My attempt at creating Jamey Sheridan

160.png
    1860 x 950 - 2M
    edited October 2019

Another photo, another character created with Face Transfer.

I have bought so many morph packages and yet it is so hard to find good mouth morphs.

My attempt to fixing flat lips...

fem012pic03white.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 197K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited October 2019

Yet another photo and another character created with Face Transfer, just how it came out.

Hopefully someone will create a morph package to fix the common problems with the conversions in Face Transfer.

fem021pic01.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 267K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Has anyone opened a ticket with feedback on the smushed mouth?  I wonder if DAZ is willing to work with the 3rd party to improve the face generation or create better corrective morphs for the Genesis figure when applying the morph.

edited October 2019

Has anyone opened a ticket with feedback on the smushed mouth?  I wonder if DAZ is willing to work with the 3rd party to improve the face generation or create better corrective morphs for the Genesis figure when applying the morph.

I have that same 3rd party product for Unity (creates only head without the body) and the smushed mouth exists in it, too,

so I think Daz could not fix it easily, unless they do their own research and find the solution to the problem.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited October 2019

By the way, I have tested the same photo in HeadShop 11 in DS 4.12 and got this on the render below.

It looks like the seams issues are still not fixed, so I am going back to the Face Transfer.

It is a pity, because shape of the mouth looks better, than after Face Transfer.

HeadShop just need to fix that issue and I would use it more often.

hsfem021sc01pic01.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 121K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • info_b3470fa520info_b3470fa520 Posts: 894
    edited October 2019

Artini, the seam is covered by hair. I agree that we generate better heads than othjer software. Here's the reason: We spent three years addressing a common problem with all photo-to-3DHead software; the issue with finding suitable photos. A quick google search shows that most photos have either the head turned or rotated to one side, or that one side of the head is poorly lighted, or obscured by hair. Also most photos display an open smile, something that most Photo-to-3DHead software have difficulty with (see image below). 

HeadShop 11 (available on WIN or Mac) addresses these problems: it auto-finds over 50 facial points, auto rotates the head to upright. In addition, we implemented auto turn, so that even 3/4 portraits are turned frontal. Our mirror-left and mirror-right buttons copy over good texture to the opposite side of the face where texture is missing or obscured.

Please examples at the gallery: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/150388. The original photos are in the back, the new 3D head in front.

actresses.jpg
    1000 x 588 - 445K
    Post edited by info_b3470fa520 on
    edited October 2019

The same photo used with Face Transfer and rendered at the same rotation on Y axis.

hsfem021sc01pic02.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 121K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited October 2019

Artini, the seam is covered by hair. I agree that we generate better heads than othjer software. Here's the reason: We spent three years addressing a common problem with all photo-to-3DHead software; the issue with finding suitable photos. A quick google search shows that most photos have either the head turned or rotated to one side, or that one side of the head is poorly lighted, or obscured by hair. Also most photos display an open smile, something that most Photo-to-3DHead software have difficulty with (see image below). 

HeadShop 11 (available on WIN or Mac) addresses these problems: it auto-finds over 50 facial points, auto rotates the head to upright. In addition, we implemented auto turn, so that even 3/4 portraits are turned frontal. Our mirror-left and mirror-right buttons copy over good texture to the opposite side of the face where texture is missing or obscured.

Please examples at the gallery: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/150388. The original photos are in the back, the new 3D head in front.

That is really a big achievement.

If you could fix this small issue with the separation line visible between the face and back of the head,

I would use HeadShop 11 more often. Please, please make it happen.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited October 2019

Below is a render of the above character created with HeadShop 11 and using Charli hair - https://www.daz3d.com/charli-hair-for-genesis-3-and-genesis-8-female-s

Seam is still visible on the neck (have put small redish arrow pointed at it).

CharliHair02.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 237K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited October 2019

The same character created with HeadShop 11 and Cute Bob hair.

Again the seam is still visible on the neck (small redish arrow has pointed at it).

CuteBobHair01.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 189K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited October 2019

Artini, I agree 100% that it is a relatively simple fix and we will work on it. In the meantime, there's a quick workaround:

1. Go to the HeadShop texture files in User/Public/Document/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/FaceShop/fs/SmoothedModelTextures and change two files in Photoshop as shown:

G8FBaseFaceMapD_1001_smoothed to G8FBaseFaceMapD_1001_smoothed3

Create a torso1 file using the same base color.

The results show zero seams.

I hope this helps.

See gallery at https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/150388

fs.jpg
    1269 x 603 - 248K
    artini2.jpg
    517 x 713 - 116K

Artini, I agree 100% that it is a relatively simple fix and we will work on it. In the meantime, there's a quick workaround:

1. Go to the HeadShop texture files in User/Public/Document/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/FaceShop/fs/SmoothedModelTextures and change two files in Photoshop as shown:

G8FBaseFaceMapD_1001_smoothed to G8FBaseFaceMapD_1001_smoothed3

Create a torso1 file using the same base color.

The results show zero seams.

I hope this helps.

Ok, thanks for the workaround, but I am still counting on the automated fix for HeadShop 11 on that issue.

• Artini, the seam is covered by hair. I agree that we generate better heads than othjer software. Here's the reason: We spent three years addressing a common problem with all photo-to-3DHead software; the issue with finding suitable photos. A quick google search shows that most photos have either the head turned or rotated to one side, or that one side of the head is poorly lighted, or obscured by hair. Also most photos display an open smile, something that most Photo-to-3DHead software have difficulty with (see image below). 

^Is there a demo version for Headshop? I've tried the Facegen demo and gotten good results on one character but not on others (the problem is often irregular lighting or less-than-perfect profile/portrait. The Face-Transfer from Daz has similar issues.

I know there's the 30-day return policy at Daz, but I'd rather have a demo, even if it has a watermark in the texture and geometry like Facegen.

• ^Is there a demo version for Headshop? I've tried the Facegen demo and gotten good results on one character but not on others (the problem is often irregular lighting or less-than-perfect profile/portrait. The Face-Transfer from Daz has similar issues.

I know there's the 30-day return policy at Daz, but I'd rather have a demo, even if it has a watermark in the texture and geometry like Facegen.

In the past 12 years since we started to sell FaceShop/HeadShop, we have never developed a demo with a watermark. We think providing a 30-day window gives the users time to decide if he/she likes the product. As a side note: we just released HeadShop 11 Macintosh and it is on sale at DAZ.

• ^Is there a demo version for Headshop? I've tried the Facegen demo and gotten good results on one character but not on others (the problem is often irregular lighting or less-than-perfect profile/portrait. The Face-Transfer from Daz has similar issues.

In the past 12 years since we started to sell FaceShop/HeadShop, we have never developed a demo with a watermark. We think providing a 30-day window gives the users time to decide if he/she likes the product. As a side note: we just released HeadShop 11 Macintosh and it is on sale at DAZ.

Fair enough - when I've got the money, I'll check it out (and return it with your blessing if I'm not getting the results I expect ;) )

Fair enough - when I've got the money, I'll check it out (and return it with your blessing if I'm not getting the results I expect ;) )

Please don't hesitate to email me with any questions, inlcuding installation at [email protected].

Incidentally, here's a link to the how-to video and the installation video:

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

I brought that UV seam problem up a long time. There are workarounds, but that does not make it acceptable when the other apps have no such issue. Plus HS still has other issues which need to be addressed:

1 Teeth distort from the morph HS makes. Its gets worse as the shape is dialed in. @artini, have you tried opening these characters mouths to see their teeth yet?

2 On that note, the morph HS creates also effects the entire body. It may look subtle at first, but like the teeth it gets worse the more the morph gets dialed in. This can be a real issue if somebody is using specific body morphs.

3 Yet another morph issue, the eyelashes for Genesis 8 fail to adjust to the morph at all. If you try to apply them, they will simply take the default G8 shape. But basically the lashes are useless like this. I have found a workaround involving Hexagon...but like before this is a step something that should not be needed at all.

4 Some features of Heashop are simply broken. I cannot use a different texture in spite of the option being there. I can load a texture, it acts like it might work, but it doesn't. Then in the app itself, if you try using any of the shaping sliders on a face with a smile, the face will distort out of wack. Even just touching the slider. Trying to reset the slider does not work. The only thing to do is to exit Headshop and start over.

5 Speaking of which, Headshop does not like being exited without finishing an export. The plugin can fail, and require restarting Daz Studio.

6 Headshop makes no effort to tint the over all skin texture. Try making an African American in Headshop! And because the feature to change textures is broken...you pretty much need to stick to fair skinned people.

7 You MUST name your character when starting up Headshop. This drives me nuts. I prefer to name it when I have a result, like in Facegen. And if you forget this step, you get a morph with a two letter default name, and it will overwrite any previous morph with that name. This is more annoyance than a problem, but given the other issues, this just gets on my nerves. With Headshop, it basically one workaround after another.

These items need to be fixed. If they can be fixed, then Headshop could indeed become a genuine go to app for this purpose of using photos to generate Daz faces. But these issues are too much for me. I tried to make it work. I deleted it and reinstalled it multiple times, it just doesn't work.

And I brought up every one of these problems some time ago, complete with screenshots showing each one of them in detail. So I have pics showing the teeth and body morph distortion, pics showing the app messing up the face when trying to use a slider, and so on. I never once got a response for those posts. And even in this thread right here, notice that info_b has STILL not responded to them. What gives? I am not lying or making false statements here, nor am I being belligerent. I think Headshop can be amazing...if it gets fixed.

Facegen has its issues, but at least it is easy to use, and I can depend on it not crashing or creating morphs that do weird things. Sometimes it might mess up the eyes a bit, but not the teeth and not the body. Facegen also gives me a full set of color textures for the body, which Headshop does not. You have to manually apply them, yes, but Headshop doesn't even give them to you in the first place. So until Headshop can address the issues I raised, Facegen will continue to be my app of choice for this.

I brought that UV seam problem up a long time. There are workarounds, but that does not make it acceptable when the other apps have no such issue. Plus HS still has other issues which need to be addressed:

1 Teeth distort from the morph HS makes. Its gets worse as the shape is dialed in. @artini, have you tried opening these characters mouths to see their teeth yet?

2 On that note, the morph HS creates also effects the entire body. It may look subtle at first, but like the teeth it gets worse the more the morph gets dialed in. This can be a real issue if somebody is using specific body morphs.

3 Yet another morph issue, the eyelashes for Genesis 8 fail to adjust to the morph at all. If you try to apply them, they will simply take the default G8 shape. But basically the lashes are useless like this. I have found a workaround involving Hexagon...but like before this is a step something that should not be needed at all.

4 Some features of Heashop are simply broken. I cannot use a different texture in spite of the option being there. I can load a texture, it acts like it might work, but it doesn't. Then in the app itself, if you try using any of the shaping sliders on a face with a smile, the face will distort out of wack. Even just touching the slider. Trying to reset the slider does not work. The only thing to do is to exit Headshop and start over.

5 Speaking of which, Headshop does not like being exited without finishing an export. The plugin can fail, and require restarting Daz Studio.

6 Headshop makes no effort to tint the over all skin texture. Try making an African American in Headshop! And because the feature to change textures is broken...you pretty much need to stick to fair skinned people.

7 You MUST name your character when starting up Headshop. This drives me nuts. I prefer to name it when I have a result, like in Facegen. And if you forget this step, you get a morph with a two letter default name, and it will overwrite any previous morph with that name. This is more annoyance than a problem, but given the other issues, this just gets on my nerves. With Headshop, it basically one workaround after another.

These items need to be fixed. If they can be fixed, then Headshop could indeed become a genuine go to app for this purpose of using photos to generate Daz faces. But these issues are too much for me. I tried to make it work. I deleted it and reinstalled it multiple times, it just doesn't work.

And I brought up every one of these problems some time ago, complete with screenshots showing each one of them in detail. So I have pics showing the teeth and body morph distortion, pics showing the app messing up the face when trying to use a slider, and so on. I never once got a response for those posts. And even in this thread right here, notice that info_b has STILL not responded to them. What gives? I am not lying or making false statements here, nor am I being belligerent. I think Headshop can be amazing...if it gets fixed.

Facegen has its issues, but at least it is easy to use, and I can depend on it not crashing or creating morphs that do weird things. Sometimes it might mess up the eyes a bit, but not the teeth and not the body. Facegen also gives me a full set of color textures for the body, which Headshop does not. You have to manually apply them, yes, but Headshop doesn't even give them to you in the first place. So until Headshop can address the issues I raised, Facegen will continue to be my app of choice for this.

Thanks a lot for the remainding of that. I will check them out, when I will have a time.

edited October 2019

"I brought that UV seam problem up a long time. There are workarounds, but that does not make it acceptable when the other apps have no such issue. Plus HS still has other issues which need to be addressed:

Facegen has its issues, but at least it is easy to use, and I can depend on it not crashing or creating morphs that do weird things. Sometimes it might mess up the eyes a bit, but not the teeth and not the body. Facegen also gives me a full set of color textures for the body, which Headshop does not. You have to manually apply them, yes, but Headshop doesn't even give them to you in the first place. So until Headshop can address the issues I raised, Facegen will continue to be my app of choice for this."

Outrider, thanks for the comprehensive list. We are in the process to address the majority of these. (#7 is simply not true as I explained to you earlier; you have an option to name a morph, otherwise the default name will be "fs" and will be saved under that name). In regard to "dialing up" - the reason HeadShop has a "smooth" slider is to dial down to the most pleasing morph before exporting. In the same vein there is no point in dialing up if it distorts, which is true for all other photo-to-3Dhead apps. Creating the best head is after all an artistic task and we give you the controll to create the best.

The issue that many people seem to overlook is that HeadShop can handle faces that most apps can't; rotated heads, poorly lit heads, open-smile heads, 3/4 profiles, etc. (see photo below). It is worth pointing out that unlike other apps we never stop improving or bringing out new versions with new features. Obviously, not all photos can be made to work, but many more than with any other solution.

See gallery at https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/150388

actresses.jpg
    1000 x 588 - 445K
  • I used the morph generated by headshop for the attached images which are intended to resemble Vivien Leigh.
    The morph Headshop generated was a very good starting point; I then tweeked with some additional head/face morphs for the final result. Not a lot of work needed.
    I also replaced the materials headshop generated with fibermesh brows and material surfaces that I already had for other figures, in part because this version is meant to be a fantasy character but also because the final renders seemed to look better.
    (I am not an advanced user but I hardly ever use any figure I get without making adjustments. That experience probably is normal for many if not most users; that's why we have morph packages).

Anyhow I am pleased with the results. The attached images are headshot busts, each alongside two pictures of Vivien Leigh for comparison purposes, one without any expression and one with a soft smile.

Vivien Portrait 01.jpg
    1476 x 1171 - 526K
    Vivien Portrait 02.jpg
    1350 x 1170 - 431K