and thats the way it is. (formerly: Breaking the silence)

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

By hook or crook you really need to get down there, if the weather is still crappy you really should make the effort. It'll show them that you're determined to get what you want and aren't going to roll over and take this. Obviously call them to make sure they're open before you go, you don't want a wasted trip.

I just can't believe there's no light at the end of the tunnel for you

You're going to make it

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 561
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

By hook or crook you really need to get down there, if the weather is still crappy you really should make the effort. It'll show them that you're determined to get what you want and aren't going to roll over and take this. Obviously call them to make sure they're open before you go, you don't want a wasted trip.

You're going to make it

Agreed. If they are open today, make every effort to get down there and park yourself at their doorstep. Talk to everyone you can. Let us know how it goes.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    edited February 2014

Rogerbee said:

You're going to make it

Agreed. If they are open today, make every effort to get down there and park yourself at their doorstep. Talk to everyone you can. Let us know how it goes.
    ...I really would like to get down there today however another freezing rain alert was issued this morning.

I checked outside, and where the snow was packed down (which is most of the sidewalks, side streets and parking lots) it's all still frozen hard with a coating of ice. All schools are still closed and the transit system cancelled several bus routes today as well as put a number of others on snow detours.

There is no law here requiring that sidewalks be cleared as snow events like we just experienced are infrequent (usually every 4 - 6 years). Most side streets (like the one I live on) also don't get ploughed. and crossing at the crown of the road in conditions like we have can be very treacherous.

Were I younger and had the right kind of footwear I'd try it however not about to take a fall at my age and break anything. That would really mess things up even more and put me in debt I probably never would recover from considering today's ridiculous medical costs.

Shoot, I can't even get down the hill to the local market to buy a couple transit day tickets or the other one I shop at to replenish my Advil. Been out now for two days.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,191
    edited December 1969

Thought I would check in and see if you were able to get any more help and if you are doing OK?

edited December 1969

...(see forthcoming PM).

In general.

Beginning to lose what hope I have left that there will be a turnaround. No indications from any sources there will be another vote anytime soon. Wrote Senator Harry Reid the other day requesting that he change his position on amendments to the measure which is one of the main reasons this has stalled.

Received a nice personal response From Senator Warren of Massachusetts to the letter I sent her, so they (at least some) do actually hear what we have to say.

Seeing a lot of the "same old same old" in the job listings. Already applied for this and for that, turned down again and again. Getting to the point I feel I have just as much chance winning the 6 of 6 lotto prize as I do being hired anymore.

With one job opening per three applicants, in effect it makes the unemployed rate more like 67% not 6.7% based on those out there actively seeking work like myself. This shows how statistics can be so easily manipulated to fit one's argument. Also read that locally, hiring by the private sector has slowed over the last month. New available openings were about half of what we had in December and that number was not all the greatest either.

So not sure what is going to happen anymore.

edited February 2014

[update]

Our local DHS office is unable to help. As I pretty much figured, one has to have children even to get assistance even for a transit pass. Another agency for those over 55 which I was referred to can only help with housing costs if I have a foreseeable income (like if I was recently hired but had to wait for several paycheques to be fully back on my feet again). I was still encouraged to come to their office but interview slots (walk in only) are limited and the first one is next week Tuesday at 9:00. Still going to go to see what kind of assistance they have to offer, they may at least have their own job referral/matchup service for older folks like myself. The good thing is they are downtown (I can get there on my bike) instead of an hour's (5$) bus ride out to the boonies where the Work Source office I am assigned to was moved.

I don't know how these people expect one to get a job when you can't even afford to ride the bus to an interview or to their office to see if you can get on one of their programmes (like OJT or Senior's Outreach) to help you back to becoming a working member of society again.

Well, in about ten minutes I have to speak with my landlady (got a note on my door this morning). I am still short for this month's rent and unless congress get's off their collective butts and approves the extension (which seems bleaker and bleaker with each day that passes), there is nothing for next month.

I'll know in a bit what fate awaits me.

• NewjadeNewjade Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Hi Kyoto Kid,
    I have been reading your thread, and your sad situation keeps coming back to my mind. What about community college? An associate's degree in accounting or the like would improve your resume, plus you would qualify for full financial aid, which should be enough for tuition, books and then some. As a student you would also qualify for Federal Stafford Loans and the like which you could take out to cover for further living expenses. Yes, we are talking student loans, but it would keep you in society, in a home and give you better job prospects, or at least more time to find a job.
    Age shouldn't keep you from going back to school. I am at a community college and we have plenty of seniors in the classrooms.
    Community Colleges often offer minimesters; you could practically start tomorrow, if you are organized with your paperwork. Lots of colleges have online classes available, too. It could be an idea.

I wish you all the best, Janine from Texas.

edited February 2014

..."formal" schooling is pretty much out. To get kind of "marketable" credentials with my current educational and work background would take a heftier time and financial commitment than just a few night classes. Most CC programmes I've seen are in fields I have zero interest in, like med tech or secretarial/reception (the latter which is what I consider a "pretty face" job not suited to a 60 year old male). I am not able bodied for most trades as my arthritis would make using a lot of tools extremely difficult (and possibly dangerous to myself and fellow co-workers).

Because they are so new, the "virtual" online schools do not have the respect of and "clout" with industry like the physical ones do. Most of their degree/certificate offerings are also pretty much the same as what the "brick & mortar" community colleges offer.

My ideal job? Engineering (mechanical, civil, or aeronautical which I had an interest in since my teens), however that is totally out of the question as the schooling for that is ridiculously expensive (which is why I never went into it in the first place) and now, by the time I would receive a masters degree (the minimum requirement these days) I'd pretty much be at retirement age.

Funding that on loans would put me in debt beyond the grave.

What I'm looking for is more in the area of skill improvement and OJT to refine and update what I have which will pay me while I learn instead of me having to pay out.

Personally speaking, I'd be satisfied with say a simple straightforward 30,000$ a year job and find that preferable to one that pays two, three, or even four times as much which also would leave me mentally exhausted and an emotional wreck every night. At my age, I have no desire to "climb the corporate ladder" anymore, that to me is not what defines "success". I just want to go to work, do my job to the best of my ability, come home without feeling drained every night, and have a life "off the clock" to pursue my other interests, and do so until I am forced to retire (and then maybe actually have something to retire on).

I just want to keep a roof over my head, food on the table, power still on, and maybe have enough left over a few "niceties" now and then while being able to maintain my sanity and humanity. It really isn't too much to ask.

There comes a time in life where goals become more straightforward and down to earth. That is where I am at.

edited December 1969

Keep at it, it's all you can do.

I almost feel guilty that my fortunes have taken a slight upward turn. I still have faith (no, not that kind, it's helped me as much as it's helped you) that something will happen that will help you get through all this. What it is I can neither know or say, but, there must be some kinda way outta here, to quote a certain guitar hero.

Fight on....

edited December 1969

...I know but it is still not looking very well.

Earlier this week our elected officials decided to take yet another vacation, the second in less than a month and this time for two weeks. Must be nice, getting (I can't say 'earning") that six digit salary and be able to go on holiday when they please while 140,000 more end up like myself with a "no-digit" income, continual rejection, and bills/rent/mortgages to pay.

Oh, there is supposed to be another vote when they come back but who knows when. The last time they returned from their little holiday, it took a week and a half for the measure to be brought up even though it supposedly had the "highest priority".

It will now be 8 weeks since the programme expired before they return again, nearly two bleedin' months.

"Daz Soon" would be an improvement compared to this.

Maybe these officials should be docked pay for each week this measure isn't resolved retroactive to the end of December for they have shown nothing but irresponsible behaviour and a lack of compassion.

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

Jumping in here late; I have been following the thread and truly sympathize. I'm in Canada where we have both provincial and federal social and disability benefits, and they make a huge difference but they can be a bear to apply for. My husband was in a similar situation to yours, where arthritis and migraines made it impossible for him to work for very long periods. He was fortunate to find a part-time labourer position for a few years, where he could pick his own hours, but it wouldn't have supported him and eventually even that was too much. He applied for the federal disability and was rejected, but we found an advocate who knew all the ins and outs, and reapplied, and he has been receiving benefits. Do you have any sort of charitable organization or Advocacy Groups that help people with these situations? A medical statement and any other statements you can get can be a huge help. In his case, I did an "impact statement" which was added to the file. A statement from his last employer stated he was no longer physically able to do the work and was let go. Stuff like that can really help. Good luck.

edited February 2014

...just took an online office skills evaluation for one position. Pretty much flubbed It I believe.

Some of it is as I feared is due to my arthritis (and this was after taking my morning Advil dose and letting it work in).

10 Key rate: 0 errors @ 2,900 KSPH (minimum 0 error rate desired for data entry positions today is 8,000 - 10,000)
    10-key pads are always on the right hand side and this is the hand that is most severely affected.

Typing Speed: 35 WPM (down from 50-55 WPM)

Excel skills: 25 of 30 items correct, 32 min to complete. Mostly due to the fact I am still unfamiliar with the 2010 version and that damnable "ribbon" as save for the last couple months I was at my last job, I have only worked with MS Office2K.

The latter I can at least I improve through skills update training. The keyboarding/10-key speed, that is pretty much history.

So much for continuing in an office based occupation though as keyboarding speed is so important. Looks like it means having to down Advil like candy so I can make it through the day in some physical labour job.

edited February 2014

Penname said:
    Jumping in here late; I have been following the thread and truly sympathize. I'm in Canada where we have both provincial and federal social and disability benefits, and they make a huge difference but they can be a bear to apply for. My husband was in a similar situation to yours, where arthritis and migraines made it impossible for him to work for very long periods. He was fortunate to find a part-time labourer position for a few years, where he could pick his own hours, but it wouldn't have supported him and eventually even that was too much. He applied for the federal disability and was rejected, but we found an advocate who knew all the ins and outs, and reapplied, and he has been receiving benefits. Do you have any sort of charitable organization or Advocacy Groups that help people with these situations? A medical statement and any other statements you can get can be a huge help. In his case, I did an "impact statement" which was added to the file. A statement from his last employer stated he was no longer physically able to do the work and was let go. Stuff like that can really help. Good luck.

...there is an advocacy group for SSI disability (their office is very close to the SSA office). I know they won't take a fee until the case is resolved and will be checking that out on Monday. Unfortunately, I do not have a doctor and am confused by our state's health plan (that I came under) about how to choose a PCP (primary care physician). Since my phone service was cut off, I cannot contact the agency to get clarification on the process and even know which plan I am under (and of course the only way to do so is call them). Supposedly I am to receive some kind of "official letter" that gives me the particulars which I am still watching for. Until then, I cannot even start a case.

On of the bad things is here there is a lot of fraud and abuse in the programme which is why it is almost impossible to qualify on the initial application. As couple weeks ago, I overheard a few attorneys discussing a case they were following which was obviously fraudulent. I turned to them and said that is what is hurting people like myself who actually need it. They agreed with me.

Here in the US there isn't much else unless you are severely disabled (blind, deaf, fully crippled) or have children. DHS only works with families. While I was eligible for a food card, I cannot get a transit pass or even tickets, not much less rental assistance unless I had a dependent. One senior advocacy group l discovered, unfortunately cannot help with rental assistance unless I have a foreseeable income (like if I was just hired but haven't received my first couple paycheques yet). They still encouraged me to come down next week and speak with them to see what programmes I might qualify for through them or other concerns that could help. Outside of that, I'm pretty much on my own.

If you see my post just above this one, my arthritis has even affected my performance in routine office skills. My "by touch" ability is pretty much gone, my right hand is so bad I'm down to using one finger on the keyboard (and using my lower arm rather than the fingers to actually apply the pressure) which also seriously impacts my use of the10-key numeric pad (2,900KSPH is not going to cut it).

All that leaves are are common labour jobs, which like for your husband, are not the best for me either. My legs, hips and lower back often ache and it is hard to stand for very long. When I was at my last job and had to be out in the warehouse assisting with a task like table work, or running the shipping system (both standing and the latter a lot of handling packages though mostly small weights), I could barely walk back to my desk when finished. Even when cleaning the flat, I can only do so for say 20 min at a time before I have to sit down for a while because everything starts stiffening up and aching. How am I supposed to stand a a MickyD's counter or an assembly worktable for a full 8 hours (or more) a day?

I cannot even make a fist with my right hand anymore and my grip is so weak that I frequently drop things.

22 months and I could qualify for SSI early retirement which, while not as much as waiting another 4 years after that, would at least pay my rent and basic bills. I could also then qualify some rental assistance from a local senior's advocacy group.

This all just timed out poorly. If my job hadn't been eliminated, I would have been able to stick it out for a few more years, maybe find some means to put a little extra away again, and then retire. Having to start from the bottom rung again at my age, having to "re-qualify" for benefits, only to retire in a few years is somewhat disheartening.

The sad thing, is even minimum wage where I am pays more than what I was receiving on unemployment, so all those "trolls" on the news media blogs & forums claiming people like myself are living a "better life" on UC than by working really don't know what they are talking about (especially since UC benefits are "taxable income" just like a paycheque, so it's not "free money").

Crikey, I'd rather be making 350$ more a month (the difference between minimum wage and my UC payments)

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

Sounds so much like what my husband goes through. Some days he can barely move. No one can work like that, and few people realize how chronic pain can grind you down mentally. And you cannot down Advil like candy without other effects. Add the office test results to the file as further evidence and hang in there. You are certainly correct that dishonesty makes it more challenging for the honest people, but stick it out.

edited February 2014

..thank you. I'm well aware of the side effects of NSAIDs.

One position I had years ago was setting up medical journal libraries in electronic format. Part of that involved taking data files from typesetting tapes and rebuilding the text into a facsimile of the actual article as it would appear in the printed journal (very technical process I won't bore you with). After this was done each article had to be proofread against the "dead tree" version of the journal to make sure everything was 100% correct.

I'll tell you this changed a lot of how I looked at things (for example I don't do stuff like sushi or oyster shooters anymore). Basically yes, over-dependence on NSAIDs is really bad. However I also learned a lot of the prescription arthritis meds have side effects that are far worse, which make dealing with the stiffness and pain far more desirable. In the case of one, a listed side effect is "death" (and not because of incompatibility with another drug).

...wouldn't have to worry about the arthritis anymore, but....

Yeah the only thing in the way of getting this rolling is a medical exam.and consultation (as well as possibly even tests). Until I can get this health plan figured out and a physician who will agree to see me, can't really do anything.

Public health care is still a fairly new concept here and they don't appear to have all the bugs worked out yet.

edited December 1969

...well, one week to go for something to turn around or that is it.

About ready to give up and throw in the towel on this. here just are not enough jobs to go around in spite of what the numbers say. The numbers are skewed by the fact many are now out of the system and no longer counted. So those in opposition can claim "see we don't need to extend UC because the rate is falling". All lies and false data.

Meanwhile, nearly two million unemployed get swept under the rug as if they didn't exist.

We have the highest percentage of long term unemployed since the end of World War II, far more than afte any recession since. Yet those who hold the reins think because the numbers on Wall Street are up everything is "hunky dory".

I've lost all faith in those who are supposed to be there for us, all hope that anything will change their minds.

Again, a heartfelt thank you to those who did what you could to help me find options, to keep my spirits up, and in the end, a keep roof over my head for at least another month. I won't forget you.

Take care and I pray that none of you have to endure what I'm about to experience. This has been a wonderful community and I am pleased that for the last few years, I could be considered a member.

Take care...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited December 1969

What most people don't consider is that % of unemployment is only the people currently collecting benefits. They are no longer counted when their benefits end. They unemployment rate can be much higher if you count those people.

edited February 2014

...exactly that is part of what the U6 rate takes into account. According to that scale, the "real" unemployment rate is actually more around 14 - 15%.

The U3 rate is what you usually see mentioned which is only based on the number of UC claims filed each week. Part of the reason I am still filing even though for now, I receive no benefits. The other reason is if they do finally extend the programme, I will get benefits retroactive to the end of December based on all the weeks I have reported since.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited March 2014

Kyoto Kid said:

My ideal job? Engineering (mechanical, civil, or aeronautical which I had an interest in since my teens), however that is totally out of the question as the schooling for that is ridiculously expensive (which is why I never went into it in the first place) and now, by the time I would receive a masters degree (the minimum requirement these days) I'd pretty much be at retirement age.

Have you considered looking into getting certified as a CNC machinist?

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-do-i-become-a-cnc-machinist.htm#didyouknowout

Granted you'd need to get some schooling, but some of it might be waived for your 3D background. This is one of the areas in which there is a real employee shortage, and I think folks in this hobby (3D modeling, rendering, etc.) should have an advantage. Many companies that need these positions filled will help you get training. It's not being an engineer, but given your interests, I thought it might appeal. And brains are a lot more important in this field than strength, or even manual dexterity (beyond programming the machine).

Edited to add: before you dismiss the idea of finishing a degree, look into "prior learning assessment." Reputable community colleges and adult-ed colleges (like the state college I work for) will accept prior on the job experience for college credit if you can submit a portfolio showing what you learned. There are also very reputable colleges that offer online courses now, not just diploma mills. PM me if you'd like more info. Depending on where you are, I may be able to make some more specific recommendations. If you're interested, that is-- but it seems like it might be an idea worth pursuing.

Post edited by zigraphix on
    edited December 1969

...thank you.

An interesting occupation. I will have to look into this more.

I grew up in what was affectionately called "The Machine Shop to the World" (Milwaukee WI) so I have a basic understanding of what is involved. of course back then all machining was done manually as computers were either something that egghead scientists at universities used for research or something one read about in Sci-Fi stories.

Out here in Portland we have a Boeing plant where a friend of mine is working which does a lot of fabrication of sub systems. With the 787 and new 777 Advanced projects they will have more than enough work to keep them going for years.

edited December 1969

Actually, my brother is a CNC machinist, and has been since long before anything like DS or Poser were around, and he has no interest in either. All of his training has been on the job, so where hobbies like this would fit in is something of a mystery to me.

The Boeing plant may still be something to look into, they must always be hiring, mustn't they!? Even if it's just sweeping the floors there must be a job you could do going somewhere in there, I'd definitely be sending them your resume if I were you.

You'll find something, you just have to keep at it

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...I'm actually registered with Boeing's employment line however there have been no openings in the local operation for a while. There was a contract issue relating to the location of the plant where the 777 X was going to be built. They settled on Everett WA so that could affect the situation here in the Portland operation with regards to CNC machinist and fabrication positions.

Would be nice if I could get into this though the OJT programme I'm working towards. Union scale, real retirement benefits, and real healthcare.

Usually companies like this contract out to other services for things like plant maintenance.

edited December 1969

I see,

Well, there's no harm in giving them a nudge now and again, are the details they have current!?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Maybe try some job search boards...

http://www.indeed.com/q-CNC-Machinist-l-Oregon-jobs.html

I only know I've been hearing for the past year that companies can't find enough people qualified for this position.

Certificate program in your area:

http://www.pcc.edu/programs/machine-manufacturing/
    https://www.pcc.edu/programs/machine-manufacturing/employment.html

Might be worth taking on a modest amount of student loan debt for this-- looks like it could pay off for you. And student loans, while you do have to pay them back, would at least keep you eating with a roof over your head while you get the certificate.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Actually, my brother is a CNC machinist, and has been since long before anything like DS or Poser were around, and he has no interest in either. All of his training has been on the job, so where hobbies like this would fit in is something of a mystery to me.

The descriptions often mention working from CAD files, so I thought a familiarity with 3D software might help, but I was really thinking more that the ability to think and troubleshoot in 3D isn't something everyone has, but someone with this hobby probably has a pretty good grasp of it, and might be a good candidate for this kind of machining work. I'm guessing a bit-- I'm more of a software type (well, actually I'm an educational researcher, but when it comes to tech, I deal more with software than hardware). Your brother would be able to provide a much better description of what the job actually entails, I'm sure.

In addition to the milling and lathing functions that CNC seems to have involved in the past, I think additive 3D printing is starting to become commercially viable to the extent that expertise may be in demand. That's certainly an area where 3D modeling experience is helpful, and even scene assembly and rendering experience gives one a good start.

If you want to get hands-on experience with machining tools, here's a Maker Shop in Portland:

http://www.adxportland.com/

There are fees to use the equipment, but maybe one of the programs in your area could sponsor you? It would be a good place to network -- meet people who would know of job openings.

edited March 2014

...thanks for the links. I'll look into them.

I really cannot afford formal schooling and as I just got over dealing with student loans, don't care to go that route again. Ended up having to pay for an incomplete degree as arts education was a lost cause due to school system budget cuts. Here In Portland there is a, OJT programme that this could fit into nicely so that is the route I am looking to pursue.

It was interesting today as the workshop I attended had several evaluations where "Computer Operator" (which CNC is a subset of) came up a couple times.

edited December 1969

That sounds encouraging. Good luck!

edited December 1969

...OK major news (sort of).

As of this afternoon the Senate finally ended the deadlock and approved a measure for a five month extension that is retroactive back to the end of December.

However...

Not quite out of the woods yet though as it still has to be approved by the House. According to sources House Speaker Boehner has not been in favour of an extension, however it is hoped that his measure which takes into account proposals forwarded by both parties might still get it to pass.

Now the first rub...

Next week Congress takes yet another vacation, the third in less than two months, and will not be back until the 24th. Given the past track record of it taking about a week and a half after their return before this measure was brought to a vote each time, that means the first week of April. After that is is off on a couple months (not weeks) recess which will result in about 4 million left out in the cold by the time they return.

Do these people ever really work?

...and the second...

This week is also the last week of my original UI claim. Not sure how this will affect my receiving benefits should the EUC measure pass when they get back on the 24th. I was only in the first tier (of three) of the EUC programme and was even shorted a weeks' worth of benefits when the programme was allowed to expire at the end of December.

The waiting game continues...

• StarkdogStarkdog Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Kyoto,

Please check your PM's- I sent you one.

Thanks, -David.

edited December 1969

...got it and many thanks.