and thats the way it is. (formerly: Breaking the silence)

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
edited February 2014 in The Commons

...as of 00:00:01 01/01/14 the countdown to life on the streets has begun.

This was when the Extended programme for Unemployment Benefits ended.

While at first it looked like a compromise might be in hand to extend the programme though the year, partisan bickering has stalled and most likely will threaten it's passing.

After paying rent and bills I don't have enough left in in my bank account to even purchase a monthly bus pass. While I have food benefits and health care coverage, it doesn't help to pay my internet/phone bills, my rent or even get on the bus.

I am 60 years old (which is already a strike against me in today's youth oriented employment scene), living in region that is still lagging in recovery in spite of the nationally posted numbers, and which has no real industrial base (timber is what built Portland and that went belly up decades ago). The "real" unemployment rate here is more like 15.9% I have no degree, my college work was in arts & music education which dried up decades ago. My current skillset is more appropriate for a front desk receptionist, basically a "pretty face" job.

I have been suffering from severe rheumatoid and most likely now, osteoarthritis which precludes working any common labour job or position that requires standing all day. My keyboarding speed has dropped form over 50 WPM to (if I'm lucky) 30 WPM on a good day. I have almost no grip left in my hands and am in constant pain all day even with taking OTC medications. Arthritis isn't considered a "debilitating" condition for the purposes of SSI disability even though it severely impacts what I can do. I can no longer draw or paint, or perform music which are the three things I have loved the most. Most if not all prescription medications and treatments have side effects that are far worse and in some cases, more debilitating than the ailment.

I wish I could just retire, but that is only an option if you worked for the government, military, the railroads, or out here, Boeing. To get full SSI retirement coverage, I need to keep working until age 71.

It has been an interesting ride these past five years, had a lot of fun, met a lot of really nice people here, and learned a few cool things along the way, but the reality is, the clock is ticking down to that life in a "cardboard condo" under a bridge..

...Żegnam Wszystkich

...and Leela sends her love.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Kyoto,

Wow, man. That is tough. I went through a tough spell myself a few years ago on unemployment. I was nearly ready to do harm to myself, I seriously needed to get the ball rolling again. The extended benefits definitely helped keep me going and I can imagine that without it I would have been in a truly terrible place.

It doesnt sound like there are very many options in Portland right now. With 1 in 5.5 people looking for work, the competition must be nearly insurmountable.

Some things to consider perhaps:
    1. Envelope Stuffing; I know this was something some people managed to do at one point in time and could earn money from home doing it. I haven't looked into it in years however, but if the crap hit this is one area I might look.

2. Selling your artwork online. I am always blown away by the prices I often see posted for images that dont seem to me to be extraordinary to my eye. This is a comfort, because it means that if you can get the content out there into enough people's faces you are bound to find one who will pay for it, even if you yourself aren't impressed by the work.

3. Write a book about your life, maybe start a blog. Use the life experience you have and capitalize on it. Maybe start a political blog or maybe a critical blog on some issue.

4. Working online in any capacity. From much research I've read, working at a job online is the way to go.

5. Go back and enroll in school of some sort. This could allow you to take out some student loans which though they have to be paid back, can help relieve some of the more immediate financial concerns as well as preparing you for another job in the near future.

This issue is not really just your issue, it is a Portland issue. The entire city is in jeopardy if this continues any longer. Short from moving away from Portland, a short term solution will be easier to find than anything long term.

Just know, even though it probably won't help, that we consider you a valued member of our community and if any leads come my way I will be certain to point you toward them.

Hang in there. You are not alone!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Wow, sorry to read this. As a fellow Arthur suffer I do wish to point out one thing you are incorrect about. SSI is not a option as you mention but SSI is not what we people receive. We get SSD, the D stands for Disability benefits. I know that the standards to meet 100% disabled are rather high but you more likely than not will meet the standards for a partial benefit. The drawback is you must have medical proof that your condition meets the now much lower than years ago standard. At this time I believe any income you might receive would be better than none. If you do not have a Doctors records or a regular Doctor your still not out of luck. There are many FIRMS that advertise on national TV that will help you apply for benefits for a percentage of your FIRST lump sum payment, including setting you up with exams by reputable Doctors if they believe your claim is valid. If they fail to get your befits approved many of these FIRMS charge you nothing in return.

With all that said I still wish you nothing but good luck, maybe our GOV will come around in time to help. I for one hope so. Before I was able to get my SSD I took the only job I could find just to have income. A part time employee at a Qucke Mart type store. It was not much but it was better than nothing. My Heart is with you.

Jeff

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

Sorry you are going thru rough times Kyoto Kid. I enjoy your renders and your forum posts and hope you can remain as active as possible in the DAZ3D community. As for suggestions I would also encourage you to try for SSD.... my partner got it mostly for his arthritis although he also has HIV. The key is to get a regular doctor (if you don't have health insurance try to get an inexpensive or even free policy from the new Obamacare) and then get him to support you for your claim. Most doctors are very busy and naturally sorta reluctant to sign all those SSD forms etc you bring them ... but my partner got really emotional and even started crying and boy did the doctor hurry and sign them... I was really impressed. There are agencies that help you for a price (Allsup has a good reputation) .... but I think getting a medical doctor familiar with your situation is key. As for Social Security itself... I took it asap (62) but that is your decision if you want to wait for full benefits (but who knows what "reforms" will change the program in the future). One other suggestion is to volunteer some of your time at a non-profit doing something you are good at... I did it teaching basic computer stuff to homeless vets... and I later got a part time summer paying position from them. Anyway take care of yourself and hope to keep seeing your posts and art here on the site. You fooled me with your user name ... I always thought you were from Japan.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970
    edited December 1969

Sorry to hear that the bureaucrats have stuffed it all up and can only hope they get their heads out of their collective ... yeah,well ;)

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 561
    edited December 1969

Hugs to you KK. I'm 57 and two years ago I was unemployed too. I had quit my job because I felt it was hazardous so I applied for unemployment. Unfortunately the folks at unemployment didn't agree so not only was I unemployed but I had to pay back the unemployment benefits. My brother then had a major heart attack and I've been supporting him ever since.

Two years ago December, I was extremely fortunate enough to get a job. To say I was floored, surprised, stunned, is an under statement. I didn't think I had a chance in hell because of all the younger people out there. Who wants to hire an older person with a disability right?

I would add to what Rashad said and say to look at your state's job site and set up an account and apply for any state job you can. USA Jobs is the federal job site. They tend to hire more people that are disabled. For two years I put in I don't know how many applications to both my state job site and the federal job site. If your state has state workforce centers, try and get to one. In my state they help with resumes, job listings, interviews, etc. The jobs they list aren't high paying but they might be enough. Libraries usually have free internet access so try there.

Lastly, check with your county offices, they might be able to help with lodging, food stamps, etc. I know how my state works but I'm not sure about yours. Our county offices (Social Services) deal with this kind of stuff. It might be worth the trip. Maybe a friend or family member can drive you.

Anyways, I wish you the best and hope you can find a way. I know how dark it can get.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

I wish I had the funds to help you out KK. I live off of credit cards half the time to keep my life going so I know about tight. I live with HIV and am forced to work only part time to make ends meet since if I work full time I end up sick and have to go to the doctor all the time. So I got used to living on the edge years back to get by. While the economy is coming back up in some areas I know it's a mess in other areas. Health in our 50 and beyond is just as you say, us older folks are not exactly the desirable ones to choose but keep your head up and try to stay positive.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,877
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

I have been suffering from severe rheumatoid and most likely now, osteoarthritis which precludes working any common labour job or position that requires standing all day. My keyboarding speed has dropped form over 50 WPM to (if I'm lucky) 30 WPM on a good day. I have almost no grip left in my hands and am in constant pain all day even with taking OTC medications. Arthritis isn't considered a "debilitating" condition for the purposes of SSI disability even though it severely impacts what I can do. I can no longer draw or paint, or perform music which are the three things I have loved the most. Most if not all prescription medications and treatments have side effects that are far worse and in some cases, more debilitating than the ailment.

Have you tried some alternative therapies? I gave up doctors and medicine many years ago (haven't taken even an aspirine since then) and learned how to heal myself instead, using alternative therapies. I used to suffer from migraine for example, now I haven't had even a slight headache in over 20 years.

Martin Brofman healed himself from terminal cancer over 30 years ago, he's still alive and well and have been teaching thousands of others to heal themselves since. He claims anything can be healed, and after many years of research I've done myself in this field I'm also convinced that's true. Here are some case stories from his website:

http://www.healer.ch/success.html

Or read his book on self-healing: "Anything can be healed".

Or check out the De Silva method:

http://www.silvamethod.com/

Or something else. There are lots of other resources for self-healing out there, and most of them are free.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,419
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid, I feel very sorry for you. But please, do me a favor: Don't consider living under a bridge. Oh no. There must be a way, because there's always a way. Jaderail's advice seems to be very good. Fight for this SSD. Taozen's proposal is also good. I used a similar method in a really difficult period of my life, and was almost scared to see how well it worked.

People here like you very much, and from our side, I am sure, you'll get any mental (is this the right word?) support during this hopefully short period.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I don't have any amazing advice. All I have is some sort of understanding about your situation. I had a friend who lives up around where you do who went through a similar situation. A disability that wouldn't qualify for disability and old enough to be not a first choice for hiring over and over again. Even a time he was hired, trained, let go, rehired and re-let go over the space of a couple of months. It took him months for housing to be found for him and I still worry about him. If I could go back and tell him anything it would be that he needed to start looking for support systems sooner. He waited till the poo really hit the fan before he asked for help and I wish he had done it sooner. If I recall correctly there are support networks up where you are but sadly that is because there are so many people in need of them. Our finances have taken a turn down around here as well so I can easily imagine being in your position. My thoughts will be with you.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Oh Kyoto, I'm so sorry to hear this. Having been lucky enough to have long-standing employment for 40 years until I took early retirement 10 years ago this coming March, and although turning 70 this past October, I'm in fairly decent health, so I can't begin to imagine what you're going through.

I just want you to know that you have many friends here, and several have already posted some good advice, so please do try and keep in touch with us, because we will be thinking about you and how you're doing.

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,683
    edited December 1969

Sorry to hear about this KK. I hope something turns in your favor soon.
    Wishing you all the best.

-MJ

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Sorry to hear this. Hope you are able to find some way to keep going with the things you love to do.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969

KK, you're not a veteran are you? If so, check out those options as well.
    Please check with the local churches and missions (we have Waterfront Mission here) that help the homeless.
    I was a Job Service Counselor for the State of Florida and worked at the employment office- you need to get in there asap. So far as federal jobs, (gov site) there is usually a four to six month wait at a minimum when those jobs are posted. Don't go the fed route first, go the state route, there should be an office near you.

I'm wondering if any of the vendors here would need any artwork done. You do good work. Even if a vendor does as well as you do, they might not have the time.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Sorry to hear about your situation KK. I hope things start looking up for you sooner rather than later.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I wish there was some way to get you down here. I don't have much, but you can certainly live with me and my family. This offer comes with internet, food, and transportation. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Check out the churches. Most usually have programs to help people. They also have jobs.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    edited December 1969

...an update.

Looks like the fate of the long term unemployed has become a victim of petty partisan bickering. After previous recessions, extensions to unemployment were approved without conditions or even discussion. This time that appears not to be the case.

My local state is seeing what they can do to give us some relief for at least several weeks while the "debate" on capitol hill rages on, however that is just a proposal for now. In the meantime still searching, still filing my job search reports in hope something is worked out to at least show them (and the naysayers) I am not simply giving up and sitting idly by.

I've been reading about others who have better credentials, education, and work experience than I who were out of work for years after being laid off and struggled to find another job. Given the state of the situation right now, not very comforting.

Thank you for all the comments and encouragement. Also, apologies for being "AWOL" since starting this thread. Just fired up the workstation for the first time last night after several days as the enthusiasm for working on any projects has been at an all time low.

I already have tried some of the suggestions made above over the past couple months but to little avail.

Going self employed (which some here and elsewhere have suggested) is not an option as I had a very bad experience with that once (taxes, which nearly got me in serious trouble with the IRS), do not have the "salesperson" personality, nor know how to set up and maintain a website.

Should get confirmation soon on my medical coverage so I can select a PC physician, get an exam and have my conditions verified so I can hopefully qualify for some form of disability assistance that can (most importantly) help me with getting into a job I can do, or help me to retire and not lose the place where I live.

Just emptied all my change jars (turned out had quite a few stashed around the place, including one that must have weighed nearly 50#) and after sorting everything out, looks like I might have enough to at least pay my ISP bill for another month, get my phone going again and maybe even get a "new look". Need to get hold of a friend to drive me down to the bank where they have coin counting machines to have it counted and then deposit it all.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Oh, dear... I'm coming into this late, so most of what I would have said has already been said by others.

Since you're looking for work -- talk to your friends. Talk to your family's friends. Ask around at your place of worship. Follow up on any leads they might have. I know there aren't likely to be many leads in a region with ~16% unemployment, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

And don't be too proud to pass up a job that requires you to say "Do you want fries with that?" or "Welcome to ..." You might need one if you can't find anything better this month. (I'm hoping you will find something better, but ... anything to keep body and soul together, right?)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited January 2014

KK: Sorry my friend, I just now found this thread.
    I know several people who are on SSD, and believe me, if they qualify, you certainly do.
    Find a lawyer that specializes in SSD, most (probably all) do not charge up front, and provide you with doctors for evaluation.
    When approved, SSD is calculated back to the time you became unemployed. And your lawyer will take his fee in a way that you can afford until he is fully paid (by law, he can only collect so much).
    This is all information that I have gleaned from long conversations with my friends who have been on SSD for years.
    Please talk to an SSD lawyer.
    Peace,
    John

Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    Oh, dear... I'm coming into this late, so most of what I would have said has already been said by others.

Since you're looking for work -- talk to your friends. Talk to your family's friends. Ask around at your place of worship. Follow up on any leads they might have. I know there aren't likely to be many leads in a region with ~16% unemployment, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

And don't be too proud to pass up a job that requires you to say "Do you want fries with that?" or "Welcome to ..." You might need one if you can't find anything better this month. (I'm hoping you will find something better, but ... anything to keep body and soul together, right?)

...thank you. Unfortunately that "burger & fries" or "WallyWorld welcomer" job is out of the question for it requires standing on one's feet all day, something that with my arthritis and poor circulation would be very painful to endure.

There are mornings I cannot get out of bed until I can pop my hips back into place. That is how severe it is.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    KK: Sorry my friend, I just now found this thread.
    I know several people who are on SSD, and believe me, if they qualify, you certainly do.
    Find a lawyer that specializes in SSD, most (probably all) do not charge up front, and provide you with doctors for evaluation.
    When approved, SSD is calculated back to the time you became unemployed. And your lawyer will take his fee in a way that you can afford until he is fully paid (by law, he can only collect so much).
    This is all information that I have gleaned from long conversations with my friends who have been on SSD for years.
    Please talk to an SSD lawyer.
    Peace,
    John

...this is something I am definitely going to look into when my medical coverage has gone through as I cannot afford 100$+ to walk into a doctor's office (let alone pay for any tests). I barely have half that in my account right now.

I certainly cannot afford to pay an attorney and my rent and bills on what I may receive. I'm weary of being in debt and feeling I'll never see my way out of it (I still have student loans to finish paying and nothing, not even bankruptcy will absolve that).

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Like Tjohn said, find a lawyer who specializes in SSD. They know how to fill out the forms and have doctors lined up who know how to work the system. At least talk to the lawyer and see how their fees work.

I certainly understand about not being on your feet for 8 hrs a day. When I worked at the JC Penney call center here, most of the employees were just using it to get by until getting hired at other jobs (mainly at Dell). You know a lot so a support center job would be good. Leave no stone unturned. Have you looked at IRS or other federal agencies?

Keep on keeping on.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I suspect you have already done this but if not consider going to an agency. Even the temp agency's like Randstad fill full time positions not just temp spots.

edited January 2014

I was curious if maybe you could apply for social security disability benefits? Not sure if you would qualify but perhaps it's worth looking into?

EDIT TO ADD: Also, are you a veteran?

Post edited by Muon Quark on
  • Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...an update.

Going self employed (which some here and elsewhere have suggested) is not an option as I had a very bad experience with that once (taxes, which nearly got me in serious trouble with the IRS), do not have the "salesperson" personality, nor know how to set up and maintain a website.

So sorry to read about your situation. I really hope things get better for you soon. I can't really offer any advice over what others have said.
    I would mention though that there are ways to get exposure for your work if you did want to sell it online without paying for a web host and having to learn how to set up a website. You could use one of the free blogging services (e.g. Wordpress or Blogger). Lots of artists use them to showcase their work and link to where people can buy it. They are pretty easy to use as they use editors similar to what you use on this forum to make posts - you don't need to be able to write any code or know html etc., and if you should get stuck with anything there are loads of tutorials online. They are so easy to set up you could probably do it in a day.

Also you could look around at sites which sell prints - e.g. with CafePress do a service where you can upload your artwork and sell it at no cost - they take fees only once you have sold something - so basically you can have your own online store selling your artwork.

Just some ideas I thought of whilst reading your post. I hope it might help a bit.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    robkelk said:

...thank you. Unfortunately that "burger & fries" or "WallyWorld welcomer" job is out of the question for it requires standing on one's feet all day, something that with my arthritis and poor circulation would be very painful to endure.

There are mornings I cannot get out of bed until I can pop my hips back into place. That is how severe it is.
    I wish you luck with this. As has been said, get an SSD lawyer. Once you qualify for benefits, make sure they can get you a wheelchair. THEN go after the WallyWorld greeter job. That job CAN be done from a wheelchair, and they can't discriminate against you for needing one. The burger joint job would be harder to do from a chair, mostly because of the limited space behind the counter. Good luck!

• SiennaBlueSiennaBlue Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

KK,

So sorry to hear what you are going through. I just wanted to add my voice to the advice to get a lawyer who specializes in Social Security Disability. If they are legit, you WON'T have to pay them anything until your claim is approved and you receive your back pay. They get paid (and it is a set percentage) from the back pay. I have gone through this. Please, please look into it. If you want to know which law firm I used (they are nationwide) please send me a pm. Hang in there. You deserve the help.

edited December 1969

I was curious if maybe you could apply for social security disability benefits? Not sure if you would qualify but perhaps it's worth looking into?

EDIT TO ADD: Also, are you a veteran?

Oops sorry. It just dawned on me that SSD was social security disability. Duh.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969

I already asked about being a veteran. Being one, and having been a Job Service counselor, I knew that the Job Service offices (now called something else, probably State Employment Office or something like that) has counselors JUST for veterans. Another good reason to go to the state agency- they are monitored for their placement rates.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Like Tjohn said, find a lawyer who specializes in SSD. They know how to fill out the forms and have doctors lined up who know how to work the system. At least talk to the lawyer and see how their fees work.

I certainly understand about not being on your feet for 8 hrs a day. When I worked at the JC Penney call center here, most of the employees were just using it to get by until getting hired at other jobs (mainly at Dell). You know a lot so a support center job would be good. Leave no stone unturned. Have you looked at IRS or other federal agencies?

Keep on keeping on.

...I actually have an application in the works with the IRS.

I am also registered with both USA Jobs as well as the State of Oregon.

There are not a lot of federal opportunities that match my skillset here in the city which also do not require a college degree of some sort. A good number of federal openings are with the Dept of Forestry or Energy (Bonneville Power Admin) and again wither require a degree or are "in the field" positions which require being more able bodied.

Did receive notice the other day that one of my State applications passed the latest "hurdle" of the screening process.

The only call centre positions I am seeing primarily are "cold calling" ones for collections or tech support that actually requires levels of experience with hardware and software that I do not posses. I am pretty much self taught with the software I know and have my own methods of getting around that aren't the "patent" or "recommended" way of doing things. It gets the job done in short time, and that is all I need.

I am also not a "people oriented" person as again, I am not that "alpha" type of personality if you will. "People stress" is the most difficult form of stress for me to handle, far more so than say "computer" or even economic stress. This is one reason why cannot work a collections call centre for the job requires me to "check my morals and compassion at the door" so I can make life for some unfortunate person all that more miserable. I couldn't sleep very well at night knowing I was making a living off other people's misfortunes every day while also having people yelling back at me cursing and calling me every name in the book day after day because they feel I am wrong to disturb them even though that is my job. I wouldn't do it even if they paid me what the President makes per year.

As to attorneys, I still think it ends up a losing proposition for the individual. These benefits do not pay all that much, often barely enough to cover basic expenses like rent and utilities. I still have the remainder of student loans to pay off for a degree that would have gone nowhere (which is why I bailed out before I went any deeper in debt), I certainly cannot afford another monthly bill on top of that while making far less than I did in my previous job (which wasn't very much either).

edited December 1969

Khory said:
    I suspect you have already done this but if not consider going to an agency. Even the temp agency's like Randstad fill full time positions not just temp spots.

...been registered with several of them since last spring.