and thats the way it is. (formerly: Breaking the silence)

Comments

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 561
    edited December 1969

I'm hoping to retire when I'm 62 and will apply for early benefits. I agree that in some cases, it is beneficial to do so early rather than waiting for full benefits. It sucks out there. My brother is trying to find work, even with his illness, and it's near impossible at 60 for him to find work. Businesses seem to want the young and inexperienced so they can pay less. It's a messed up world.

Wishing you the best KK. Hope it all works out for you. Wish I could think of a great idea but I don't have any.

:red:

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    edited December 1969

...so is the qualification age 62? I'm still two years away from that.

You also mention 65 as the age to get full SSI retirement. As I have previously mentioned for me it is 71 according to the last statement I received from the SSA several years ago. So that makes me wonder if I am even eligible now.

Unfortunately I do not have any family in a position to assist me in the meantime so I am on my own. My rent (which includes basic utilities) is 635$/month. and that is cheap here in Portland where rents have been soaring due to several factors:

--a metro Urban Growth Boundary which was instituted to curb urban sprawl,
    --gentrification,
    --upscale development,
    --the recession which made it a landlords' market here when many lost or had to give up their homes,
    --no rent controls.

On top of that my internet bill is 52$/mo and a very basic phone service 35$/month. There are slightly cheaper Wi-Fi plans, but for some reason (even though I am in the city) I'm in a very poor location for stable connectivity which is why I ditched the other service I had. Basically the small difference in cost is less per month than having to pay to sit at the corner coffee shop to get a clean signal. My current plan also gives me Norton IS for free so that saved me 69$ in having renew for another year on my own. Not being very "IT savvy" I like Norton a lot as it is very low maintenance.

A monthly transit pass here costs 100$. Individual ride fares are 2.50$ (with a 2 hr transfer) 5$ for a full day ticket. 25$ for a 10 ride ticket book. I look at that as an extravagance these days because of the high cost (and lousy service compared with what we had years ago).

Fortunately I have food benefits so at least that is covered (not eligible for a senior discount for another five years which would make it a lot more affordable).

All totalled (without transit costs) I need to clear a minimum of about 725$ a month just to have the bare bones basics. That doesn't include clothes (and a lot of my stuff is wearing out) non food items like paper goods, grooming supplies (important for that interview), household supplies, and laundry (my place doesn't have a washer/dryer).

So it adds up. My UC benefits (1/3 what I earned in my last job which wasn't much) barely covered all that (with 10% for tax purposes) so it's believe me, no picnic like the trolls on other news blogs make it out to be.

I've cut corners as best I could. When I sell something or do a small service for someone (under the table) it gives me a bit of extra pocket money.

I cannot eat on the "total cheap" because many of the low cost overprocessed "urban survival" foods like 99¢/pound store brand hot dogs (who knows what those are made with), ramen, Hamburger Helper, and that macaroni with orange powder in a box don't sit well with me and in some cases, actually make me so ill I can't do much of anything. I've been trying to eat as healthy as I can and not surprisingly, have lost weight.which takes a little stress off the aging bones and joints. Going back on a high carb, high calorie, HFCS (which is in a lot of cheap processed foods these days) based diet would only reverse that. After all, eating healthy is one of the things they tell you to do when you receive food assistance.

Now I don't go overboard and put items like lobster, halibuit, and prime cuts of steak in my shopping trolley either. I often shop as to what's on sale and yes, have become a "coupon clipper". It's actually quite surprising what I can get for about 30 - 35$ which usually lasts me a week or slightly longer depending on what I get.

...and that is at a neighbourhood supermart, not one of those high volume "discount" places which are all out in the burbs and take between hour or two to reach on transit, (especially with lousy weekend schedules). Shoot, the 5$ it costs to take the bus round trip would pretty much offset most of whatever savings I'd get there anyway (plus this way I also get some exercise as I do my marketing trips by bike).

This is also why my job search has been confined to the city proper and nearby surrounding areas. If I can bike (or even walk) to and from work I not only save 100$ (or more when there is another fare increase) per month and in many cases, time, but again, I'm getting good exercise. Don't need a health club membership (saves me even more) as my commute is my "workout". True, weather here can be a pain, but having bike commuted before, I know how to prepare for it (and it feels "better" knowing I'm actually getting somewhere instead of just standing around in the rain, waiting for a bus that is late or might not even show up). Odd, but when I commuted by bike, I actually felt less tired and "drained" when I got home than when I had to deal with buses and trams.

...and I slept better too.

Whew, apologies for the rambling. Still going to go down to the SSA office on Monday and talk with them a well as that SSD advocacy centre I found.

I know, it is still an uphill battle about as tough as learning Blender, but just want y'all to know I'm not giving up the fight. I keep hoping that our officials take some time while idle next week to think about what they have done by their inaction, and actually listen to their constituents (many polls and surveys I have seen over the last few days show overwhelming public support for extending the programme) as well as their conscience.

Thank you again for the comments hugz, prayers, and encouragement.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,450
    edited January 2014

In the US, 62 is the qualification age.

65 is sort of a "magic" age because it opens a few more doors (i.e. Medicare).

The longer you wait past 62 the bigger your monthly check will be. I don't know if there's is a maximum age. But basically they hope you die before they have to start paying you. I'd like to think that my scheme is to start as early as possible, live as long as I can and die the winner!

There's an episode of the old British comedy "Yes, Prime Minister" where the naïve Prime Minister (Jim) is talking with the savvy head of the Civil Service (Sir Humphrey) about taxes, health service, and a report by the head of the Health Services (Peter Thorne) proposing the ban of cigarette smoking...

"Sir Humphrey: Taxation isn't about what you need.
    Jim: Well, what is it about?
    Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister the Treasury doesn't work out what they need to spend and then think how to raise the money.
    Jim: What does it do?
    Sir Humphrey: They pitch for as much as they think they can get away with and then think what to spend it on.

Jim: Smoking should be stopped, no question. And we will stop it, in due course, at the appropriate juncture, in the fullness of time.
    Peter Thorne: You mean forget it.

Jim: I'll even read your report ... again.

Sir Humphrey: No man in his right mind could possibly contemplate such a proposal.
    Jim: I'm contemplating it.
    Sir Humphrey: Yes of course Prime Minister, please don't misunderstand me, it is quite right of course that you should contemplate all proposals that come from your government, but no sane man would ever support it.
    Jim: I'm supporting it.
    Sir Humphrey: And quite right too.

Sir Humphrey: Statistics, you can prove anything with statistics.
    Jim: Even the truth.
    Sir Humphrey: Yeah ... no... Yes, but we've been into that. It has been shown that if those extra one hundred thousand people had lived to a ripe old age that they would have cost us even more in pensions and social security, than they did in medical treatment. So financially speaking it is unquestionably better that they continue to die at the present rate.
    "

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

I think that was closer to the truth than we could know. It was so well written.

Being 44 tomorrow and yet to really start a career, I actually wouldn't mind if they raised the retirement age so I still have a shot at a reasonably long career.

CHEERS!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited December 1969

It is extremely hard to find a job for an individual that is 50+ around here. I'm its like that in most places. With my luck by the time I get to 62 SS will have been done away with.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

KK

What year were you born in?

Pain the butt as it is, have you actually read this PDF

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10024.pdf

One of things brought up in is the rise in age to full benefits. If you were born between 1943 and 1960, the max age before you would receive full benefits would be 67.

I also know there are some clauses and other addenda to the rules that many who were born between 1943 and 1947 are actually have full coverage at 65.

While I know transportation is difficult, maybe you should make an appointment with someone down at SSA, sit down and review your options. At least then, you would know officially where you you stand and what recommendations they have.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure when mine is full benefits. I think 70 or so. I really can't remember.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Like any federally managed program, ages and what not that are given are ball park figures. There are so many clauses and additions that have been added (not to mention some of the just plain contradictory statements) nearly everything has to be reviewed. It also isn't uncommon for one decision to be made only to have a different one made by another.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    KK

What year were you born in?

Pain the butt as it is, have you actually read this PDF

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10024.pdf

One of things brought up in is the rise in age to full benefits. If you were born between 1943 and 1960, the max age before you would receive full benefits would be 67.

I also know there are some clauses and other addenda to the rules that many who were born between 1943 and 1947 are actually have full coverage at 65.

While I know transportation is difficult, maybe you should make an appointment with someone down at SSA, sit down and review your options. At least then, you would know officially where you you stand and what recommendations they have.

Not sure why the statement they sent me years ago said 71 if 66 is my generation's full retirement age. Anyway it's all moot as I don't see myself making it another two years considering the flat economy (one job for every three applicants), the fact that the longer you are unemployed the less chance you have getting hired (after 27 weeks your chances drop to about 12 - 15%), my physical condition and lack of personal transportation (together which further limits the types of jobs I can do as well as where I can work), and the fact that employers would rather hire younger people (as I learned, primarily because of feared "higher" healthcare costs however also because of the other "excuses" they give like I mentioned before).

So unless I can keep receiving UC until December of 2015 (provided they find it in their hearts over the next week to approve the extension programme when they come back from holiday at the end of the month) I'm on the streets. I don't have anything like a car to sell that would net me enough cash to survive on for the next several months.

Basically looks like I really need that "miracle".

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    So I'm pretty far away, far enough that there's a real chance it won't be around by the time I get there, but here's my understanding:

62 minimum age to start getting benefits. My mom started then, but she earned very little over her life.
    65-67 point of 'full benefits' based on your income (they moved the goalposts for folks who are younger; it'll be 67 for me).
    If you delay retirement past this point, your disbursement increases by about 8%/year as essentially a reward, until 70, when the bonuses don't increase anymore.

You can continue to work as long as you make under certain limits, but IIRC that only counts for regular income, not interest or dividends.

There are rules for 401(k) and IRA disbursement too, but they probably aren't interesting.

Consult the SSA site and talk to people, though. SSD throws a monkey wrench into it. And yes, it's like the hardest 3D software you've ever learned, but you have even more incentive than with Blender. :)

More seriously, I hope it works out for you KK, or something gets fixed in time. My mom was essentially homeless for a while, but she refused to move in with me and my family. Things got better for her eventually, and I'm sure things will improve for you. It'll probably get pretty dark first, and I hope you get through the darkness to the dawn.

Best of luck to you!

-- Morgan

edited January 2014

...so the receiving the extra bonus of 8% per year must have been what the age 71 bracket referred to. I'd have to dig through my files to find those statements (which are a number of years out of date).

Still the minimum age to qualify for even early retirement is 23 months away with no foreseeable means on income beforehand. That is not encouraging.

I don't have the "survival skills" or savvy to make it on the street here, especially for that long. I have trouble enough in "face to face" issues in an on the job setting, let alone begging for spare change form absolute strangers passing by. At my age, they most likely will think me to be just another bum looking to get the next 40oz of whatever rotgut malt liquor is available at the mini-mart down on the corner.

And it is brutal. There is a distinct "pecking order" as to who gets the best sleeping spots, best places to panhandle etc. Last I need to do is get into a donnybrook with a crack head (fairly prevalent where I live) who thinks they "own" a particular street corner because they've been there longer.

I also do not have any family who are in a financial position to help me either.

About the only hope I feel have left is purchasing a Megabucks Lotto ticket that miraculously hits all 6 numbers in Monday's drawing. Seems the way things are going, I'd almost have a better chance of having that happening than getting hired anytime soon, or having an epiphany occur among our elected representatives that opens their eyes as to what's going on and results in unanimous approval of extending UC benefits for the next year when they return week after next.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited December 1969

1953 is an excellent vintage (of course, it's mine as well).
    Hoping and praying for the best for you, KK.
    John

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited December 1969

There is a Retirement Estimator at SSA.gov which will provide your benefit options at specific retirement ages.

edited January 2014

...again, this is kind of moot in relation to my current situation as I cannot collect any benefits for nearly two years.

I need something that will keep a roof over my head and the bills paid until then. I won't survive on the streets very long.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Church is a good place to start - there is plenty of help out there
    have to go look .

edited January 2014

...not "subscribing" to (and won't pretend), don't think they'd be very prone to help. Can't go into more for TOS reasons.

edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...not "subscribing" to (and won't pretend), don't think they'd be very prone to help. Can't go into more for TOS reasons.

you don't have to belong to get help - most church will offer some kind of help
    some even can get DR. help for people for free

edit to add - some offer help getting you where you need to go

Post edited by bigh on
    edited January 2014

...well seven days to go before they return from vacation.

The more I've been reading the more I am seeing a lot of public support for extending the benefits programme. Just came back from one news site in my old home state and just about every comment save one was in support of the programme. Same for the Washington Post (I would imagine they read that at least). Also read some really heartbreaking and gut wrenching stories by some who posted responses (including veterans both long time and recent). I am definitely not alone in this.

Signed a petition (that is close to completion) which will be sent to Capitol Hill. Also sent a very diplomatic letter to the house speaker outlining why this needs to go through.

My local state is now actually mulling over the proposal for that interim extended programme I read about last week. Would be nice, at the very least I would get the balance of my UC account that is stuck in limbo released which would still be a big help.

Finished sorting out all the coinage from my multiple change jar stash (must have about 40# - 50# in pennies alone - if they were pure copper they'd probably be worth more than face value). Now to call my friend who has a car to take it all to the bank to have counted and then make a deposit (which is why I am avoiding running my account dry). Just by the looks it's quite an amount, I estimate will come up to around or just over 200$ That will give me a little more "breathing room" and allow me to get my phone reactivated, keep my internet from being cut off, and get a trim (hair getting a bit long for my tastes again) just in case I actually get called for an interview.

edited December 1969

You can't beat a good coin jar, I have just the one and stick all my copper in it. We have machines in supermarkets that take in coppers and give you back what they're worth. God alone knows how much I've amassed I must have had the jar for more than 3 years and it isn't full yet. I hope you get back as much as you're hoping for.

Hopefully the state's musings will produce a favourable result

CHEERS!

edited January 2014

...I have so much I need to take it to my bank (the supermart machines here have limits and jam up a lot). 6 jars, two tins, and several cigar boxes worth. the largest of the jars weighed nearly 50# and I have a large tin full of coppers (well mostly copper plated zincs) that weighs about 50# as well. Crikey if they were all 100% copper I'd probably get more just for the metal than the face value.

By raw estimate, I think I have just over 200$ total.

Also a number of Canadian and several other foreign coins. Been checking though for old ones and found a few that I might be able to get a little more for at a coin broker.

edited December 1969

That's a lot of change! Hope you get what you want out of it.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...I need to, as it is all I have left until the powers that be come back form their holiday.

edited December 1969

You're not the only one with benefit problems now, I just checked my account and the money that was due to go in that I signed on for on Friday hasn't gone into my bank and isn't down as a pending transaction either!

So, that's another irate phonecall to make when I get up, if I can sleep!

edited January 2014

Well I'll be a son of a gun!

I check my balance after midnight, diddly! Checks again at 1am and the money is in!! YEEHAH!

Note to self: When your Social Security is due on a Wednesday and you feel like some nocturnal shopping, WAIT TILL 1!!!

LOL!

CHEERS!

PS (I'd better get some sleep now, I'm going shopping in the morning!)

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • hjakehjake Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

Hello KK,

Sorry no sage words of wisdom or advice., but some words from my experience:

I will add you to my prayers (it is a long list) but I have a lot of people here who help me with it from many denominations.

I lost my home and a lot more about a year and half ago and I still have not recovered.
    So I can relate to your anxiety if not your experience.

I'm glad you mentioned something here and that others responded.
    Isolation is the biggest obstacle to survival.

Bend the ear of as many people who will listen to your tale of woe. It can help. If you are a church go'er then go to a bible study every chance you get. It might help.

MOST OF ALL, DON'T GET ISOLATED.

It is the most natural thing to know logically that you are not alone in your suffering but emotionally to feel completely alone in your suffering.

Engaging with others, even at your local coffee shop or library can really help.

Something that helped me when things kept going further down the s@#$ hole, was focusing some of my time on helping others. It sounds counter-intuitive that you need help but spend time focusing on helping other by it really can help you out alot.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

If you can find it consider an inbound customer service or telephone sales job in your area (maybe for a small company). In that case maturity could work in your favor and you need computer skills and sit at a desk. Both you can do :-)

Another thing is being a driver at a car dealership for customers.

edited January 2014

...Thank you for the concern

I'm not good with "people" jobs, as a matter of fact I am not all that "sociable". Not "anti-social", just not a very socially oriented person. I mentioned to one member here that I am very sensitive to the emotions I feel around me. It tends to drag me down seriously which is why I have to "throw up my guard" a lot when in public.

I am not what sociologists and naturalists call an "Alpha" personality.

This is why the last job I was in was such a draining experience on me. It wasn't the nature of the work itself, but having to deal with the company's president/owner who would often get into "moods" and then take out his frustrations on the employees. One never knew from one day to the next what to expect. One day you were the company's "best employee" the next, the company's "goat". His daughter, (who was the firm's sales VP) was the same. I actually liked the job I did, just not all the unnecessary politik of the surrounding workplace and "head games" that often got in the way. After nearly 18 years, It really wore me down and I actually felt an odd sense of relief in a way when I was laid off.

When people start arguing (not involving myself) it is actually "painful" for me to deal with. I just want to crawl away and hide from it. When it involves me, I usually back down even if I know the other party is wrong (never would make a good politician or lawyer). This is why I steer clear of management and other positions of authority.

Basically, I know I never will make the "big bucks". That kind of stress isn't worth it. for it is the type that gnaws on you. Some are good at tuning it out, others don't give a care at all. I am neither one of those types.

Oh, I have a small circle of friends who know and respect the fact I need to go off by myself for a while.

In a sense, I'm a "minimalist" when it comes to RL. My 4 "K's of workflow: "Keep it simple, Keep it straightforward, Keep it organised, Keep it focused, and the job will almost do itself". Unfortunately as I discovered, that doesn't fly very well in the business or workplace world today.

edited December 1969

I don't get this - you say you have little money - yet you just said you went on a trip .
    In the past I tried to help you and you said you didn't know any one with a car .
    You seem to contradict what you have posted .
    Not trying to argue with you , just want to clear this up .

• hjakehjake Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...Thank you for the concern

I'm not good with "people" jobs, as a matter of fact I am not all that "sociable". Not "anti-social", just not a very socially oriented person. I mentioned to one member here that I am very sensitive to the emotions I feel around me. It tends to drag me down seriously which is why I have to "throw up my guard" a lot when in public.

In a sense, I'm a "minimalist" when it comes to RL. My 4 "K's of workflow: "Keep it simple, Keep it straightforward, Keep it organized, Keep it focused, and the job will almost do itself". Unfortunately as I discovered, that doesn't fly very well in the business or workplace world today.

Fair enough :-)

But I think a driver job (car rental, car dealership) might workout it not a "socializing" if you choose not to be.

You also might want to consider job counseling. They do emotional, aptitude, and skills tests which can help you consider alternative employment.

As an example I heard on CBC radio (Canada) a few years back. A man worked as a radio station manager which he was not happy with. He lost his job. He went for career counseling and through the evaluation they found he was involved in a church choir and had a love of cathedral architecture and choir music. With these three things he pursued a new career (managing/organizing, choir music, and architecture) as a tour guide/director for church choir groups to travel, sight-see, and sing across Europe.

He never saw that possible outcome on his own.

Best wishes.

edited January 2014

bigh said:
    I don't get this - you say you have little money - yet you just said you went on a trip .
    In the past I tried to help you and you said you didn't know any one with a car .
    You seem to contradict what you have posted .
    Not trying to argue with you , just want to clear this up .
    ...huh?

If you are referring to my post that starts

...well seven days to go before they return from vacation

I was referring to the Senate which took a recess without resolving the UC Extension issue (emphasis, mine).

Keep in mind I have to observe to TOS.

The only "trips" I took in the last week were to the local market on Friday to do my food shopping and to the laundromat today to wash some clothes. Not very exciting or worthy of sending a postcard.

edited December 1969

hjake said:
    Fair enough :-)

But I think a driver job (car rental, car dealership) might workout it not a "socializing" if you choose not to be.

You also might want to consider job counseling. They do emotional, aptitude, and skills tests which can help you consider alternative employment.

As an example I heard on CBC radio (Canada) a few years back. A man worked as a radio station manager which he was not happy with. He lost his job. He went for career counseling and through the evaluation they found he was involved in a church choir and had a love of cathedral architecture and choir music. With these three things he pursued a new career (managing/organizing, choir music, and architecture) as a tour guide/director for church choir groups to travel, sight-see, and sing across Europe.

He never saw that possible outcome on his own.

Best wishes.

...didn't catch the part about being a driver earlier. I don't have a driver's licence (couldn't afford the insurance even when I was employed)

I've been through career counseling, most recently with the state, Other than the obvious which is based on my recent experience (Business/Office Management), most of my "real" interests would either involve going to school for five to six years which I cannot afford (architecture or engineering), or is a position with little turnover that I am no longer able bodied enough to perform (pipe organ building, restoration, and servicing),