March 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing and Posing II

LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

New User's Challenge - March 2020

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

New this year, we are breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General
  • Or if you have not participated in the March Posing Challenge

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics
  • Or if you have all ready participated in the March Posing Challenge

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge you are participating in*

Closing date for both is March 31st 2020

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

They apply for both versions of the challenge

Post edited by Linwelly on

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    edited March 2020

Beginner Challenge - March 2020

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

"Posing"

This challenge is a general render challenge with the focus being on how you pose the characters in your image. We're providing you with lots of great links on Posing from a variety of sources. To get started, find a photograph or drawing using this link or eg for dance poses this link (be sure the image you use is labeled for commercial reuse - though we will only be using it as reference, alternatively use your own personal photographs for reference), to use as a reference. Additional searches approved for use include RunningFighting. Google search results return different results for different people. These links should give everyone plenty to choose from.

Then try to pose your character as closely as possible to match the reference image. For this challenge, please post your reference image, a link to it, and your render. This will give forum viewers an idea of the pose you are trying to achieve and will lead to more helpful suggestions. Have fun!

How to Use Your Software:
    Software is often updated, and online tutorials and information often demonstrate older versions of the software. The software version you are using may differ in User Interface and tools available. Please share links to reference material that you have found helpful in the Challenge thread.

in DAZ Studio
    Daz Documentation Center [Wiki] [Associated YouTube Video]
    Daz 101: Posing
    Pinning, Posing and the Active Pose Tool
    Applying Partial Poses
    DAZ Studio Tips 2 - Symmetry and Partial Poses
    Great Art Now - Posing And Morphing [YouTube Video]
    Some good tips in this forum thread.

in Poser
    Poser Tutorial: Quick Posing

in Carrara
    Dartanbeck's simple method of character animation (Carrara Cafe article, great for those who prefer illustrated written tutorials)
    Huge list of helpful forum links (scroll to Animation and Posing section) If you have a problem, your answer might be here!
    Carrara 3D Tutorial - Posing a Figure
    Posing in Carrara
    Posing Tips - Carrara Cafe

in Bryce
    While it is not possible to pose things in Bryce, you are welcome to do your posing in another program such as DAZ Studio or Poser, then export and render in Bryce. For information on how to use the Bryce bridge to import a DS scene into Bryce: http://brycebasics.blogspot.com/2009/12/using-daz-studio-with-bryce.html

Always worth a look: last years Posing challenge:

Posing

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

edited February 2020

Intermediate Challenge:

Posing II using Advanced posing tools

This includes powerpose, active pose and puppeteer, you can choose one or try yourself in all three. These tools give you a greater range to create your own new poses either from existing ones or from scratch. For example using puppeteer you can create new poses from existing ones on a fluent scale. It can be applied for animation as well, but for this challenge we will keep the focus on the still image.

You are welcome to use one of the references for a pose from the links in the beginner challenge, but it's not a requirement.

Information and Explanation

Powerpose

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/powerpose/start

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/178446/how-do-you-use-power-pose-for-making-expressions-with-g8

Puppeteer

Daz site info:http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/puppeteer/start

And a useful thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/252276/puppeteer-tutorials-and-the-like

PowerPose tutorials

Pinning, Posing and the Active Pose Tool

Daz 3D Posing, Pinning Poses, & Morphs

Puppeteer tutorials

for DAZ Studio

Puppeteer

DAZ Studio - Using Puppeteer

Tutorial : puppeteering in DAZ Studio 4

Building a Coffee Shop scene in DAZ Studio using Puppeteer - 3D She...

DAZ3D 4.8 - Puppeteer

Hair Dynamics Effect in Daz Studio! Puppeteer from Poses!

For Carrara

Carrara 8 Puppeteer

• 0996ps0996ps Posts: 182
    2 months on Daz and I knew nothing about powerpose and puppeteer. I am looking forward to try it but unfortunately there is a powercut cause of thunderstorm.
  • Beginner challenge Just getting started

I can't get the file path, Pinterest is down.

March contest.jpg
    700 x 856 - 153K
    534b2daa17ed9b73e72bdfe0edbb7109.jpg
    720 x 715 - 19K
    2 months on Daz and I knew nothing about powerpose and puppeteer. I am looking forward to try it but unfortunately there is a powercut cause of thunderstorm.

If that give you a better feeling, I had to prepare for this challenge to learn the first thing about puppeteer and powerpose and I started  with DAZ in December 2014. I guess I will tag along with my own trial and error on this interemediate challenge.

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    edited March 2020

I am not sure if the photos from this site are ok for non-commercial reuse so I thought I'll post a link here first and check if it is so.

https://depositphotos.com/104612176/stock-photo-the-female-dancer.html (This is just an example of a photo, not necesarily the photo I want to use)

Edit: I mean use them without buying them of course, if you buy them, of course you can use them.

Post edited by alex86fire on
    Linwelly said:

If that give you a better feeling, I had to prepare for this challenge to learn the first thing about puppeteer and powerpose and I started  with DAZ in December 2014. I guess I will tag along with my own trial and error on this interemediate challenge.

Sure, I feel like it's going to be fun and easy. Electricity is finally back after 36 hours, one hell of a power cut. But it's night so I will start working tomorrow.
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

I am not sure if the photos from this site are ok for non-commercial reuse so I thought I'll post a link here first and check if it is so.

https://depositphotos.com/104612176/stock-photo-the-female-dancer.html (This is just an example of a photo, not necesarily the photo I want to use)

Edit: I mean use them without buying them of course, if you buy them, of course you can use them.

From what I read of the TOS for this site you can use an image with the purchase of a Royalty-free License for both personal and commerical uses.  Contest and Challenges are generally considered Commercial Use.

I noticed though that the site has a Chat Window and other ways to contact them.  If you really want to be sure you could ask the site's Customer Service Deptartment

edited March 2020

From what I read of the TOS for this site you can use an image with the purchase of a Royalty-free License for both personal and commerical uses.  Contest and Challenges are generally considered Commercial Use.

I noticed though that the site has a Chat Window and other ways to contact them.  If you really want to be sure you could ask the site's Customer Service Deptartment

From Original post "(be sure the image you use is labeled for non-commercial reuse - though we will only be using it as reference)"

By that logic wouldn't it be better to get commercial use pictures but why is it recommended to get non-commercial reuse ones? Regardless I will still be using something which is commercially allowed.

Post edited by 0996ps on

From Original post "(be sure the image you use is labeled for non-commercial reuse - though we will only be using it as reference)"

By that logic wouldn't it be better to get commercial use pictures but why is it recommended to get non-commercial reuse ones? Regardless I will still be using something which is commercially allowed.

Thanks Tristan.  That got missed in the proof reading.  The original post is being updated.

We've been discussing this and I just now changed the wording to commercial. So thanks for pointing this out.

Beginner challenge Just getting started

I am about to get really picky with the details. 

Starting at the bottom and working my way up.  In the reference photo the Dancer's foot is turned/rotated so that the top of the foot is facing the camera.  Your figure's foot is presenting the side of the foot to the camera.  I think you will need to rotate the entire leg.  It is hard to tell because the tutu you have on your dancer obscures her hips.

Her hips, or possibly her abdomen, may need to be rotated so that your figure's shoulders are a little more square to the camera. 

Start at the hips and work your way up and down.  The hips are the pivot point on DAZ figures.

This is a complex pose.  You have done a really nice job of matching it. 

You've made a pretty good start there! The basics are all already there. Maybe you give your model a different dress for some time so we can see the curve of her body a bit better?

As I have the feeling that you might need to twist the hip a bit further and have a bit more bent in the back. To recreate the pose you might need to exceed the limits of the model at some point but that is a tricky thing so it has to be done with care.

Looking forward to the next one!

edited March 2020

I am not a pro or anything, actually, I am not even an artist but still I am going to share my view. You should shuffle both pictures back and forth and try to notice the difference in the shoulder and the curve on the back. I believe you can get your pose right and its mostly about how much time you are willing to put into your pose and how fast you can see the difference. The next thing I notice is the muscles on the girl from the original pic. The girl is standing on one leg which is showing a subtle amount of muscle activity in her legs and the back is curved cause of motion. The motion begins from the leg and flowing to her back and shoulders. I also think you should pay attention to the neck apart from the shoulders. back and legs. I have a feeling you are using Sue for Genesis 8 and if it is really Sue then I feel like you should consider trying different model because I think you may need a little bit of size and muscle on legs and Sue is very petite, if it isn't Sue or even if it is, You can still try to add some muscles and size using Genesis 8 Morphs.

Post edited by 0996ps on
    edited March 2020

So many poses to choose from :(. So hard to decide.

We can do 2 entries for beginner and 2 for intermediate?

I might have to get 4 in just because I can't decide.

One more question about licensing as I am not sure, can we use photos from instagram?

Post edited by alex86fire on

So many poses to choose from :(. So hard to decide.

We can do 2 entries for beginner and 2 for intermediate?

I might have to get 4 in just because I can't decide.

One more question about licensing as I am not sure, can we use photos from instagram?

I suggest you start with one and see how far you get ;) but I'm happy ou are excited for this. About images from instagram you still need to look which uses are allowed for them. there might be some with a creative commons setting but whenever its not noted anyfurther you should assume that it's not free for use in ayn way. (I just now have a case of arttheft to take care of, it's annoying as heck and I note that my images are copyright)

Sometimes sliders from different tabs become noninteractive like shown here. I have seen this happen in camera and light tab a lot and they only becomes interactable after I restart DAZ Studio. Any idea why this happens?

So far I am just testing my raw skill of posing. Nothing too serious and I have not decided which picture to take as a reference so far.

Capture.jpg
    1387 x 875 - 297K
  • Thanks everyone for the comments. All very helpful. All my sliders are maxed out for twisting the waist, How do I turn off the limits?

URL: https://www.elevedancewear.com/sarah-low-back-leotard/

720 x 715 - 19K
    March contest 2.jpg
    700 x 856 - 137K

Sometimes sliders from different tabs become noninteractive like shown here. I have seen this happen in camera and light tab a lot and they only becomes interactable after I restart DAZ Studio. Any idea why this happens?

So far I am just testing my raw skill of posing. Nothing too serious and I have not decided which picture to take as a reference so far.

I believe the problem you have there is that you have an "sh" sitting in your search field and the program can't find anything with "sh" for the left hand chosen in the scene tab. always make sure the search gets cleared after you found what you were looking for. I've puzzled myself sometimes with that one.

Thanks everyone for the comments. All very helpful. All my sliders are maxed out for twisting the waist, How do I turn off the limits?

Maybe try turning her whole body a little bit on the y axis before starting to turn off limits. Since we can see more of the bum in the original and next to nothing of her belly. I think this will help you. You could then twist the left leg out again to match the pose of her leg there.

To turn of the limits of a joint you need to select the little cogwheel in the parameters settings. In the popup you will find the place where hooks are set to the limits, you can either unhook them or just set the limits a tad wider

Linwelly said:

I believe the problem you have there is that you have an "sh" sitting in your search field and the program can't find anything with "sh" for the left hand chosen in the scene tab. always make sure the search gets cleared after you found what you were looking for. I've puzzled myself sometimes with that one.

Wow! Such a small blunder and so much trouble. Thank you very much.

• Linwelly said:

Thanks everyone for the comments. All very helpful. All my sliders are maxed out for twisting the waist, How do I turn off the limits?

Maybe try turning her whole body a little bit on the y axis before starting to turn off limits. Since we can see more of the bum in the original and next to nothing of her belly. I think this will help you. You could then twist the left leg out again to match the pose of her leg there.

To turn of the limits of a joint you need to select the little cogwheel in the parameters settings. In the popup you will find the place where hooks are set to the limits, you can either unhook them or just set the limits a tad wider

Is this any better?

March contest 3.jpg
    700 x 856 - 134K
    720 x 715 - 19K
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,035

I use Powerpose almost exclusively, and barely ever even look at the poses that I've accumulated. I've never figured out how to use puppeteer, so maybe that would be a good challenge for me.

Linwelly said:

Is this any better?

I think the back rotation is not the same.

If you look in the reference image, the line in the middle of the back is to the right of the image, above her butt. In your image, it is ddown the center.

Not sure what you would need to change to obtain the same pose, but I think some changes are needed there.

• I've always have had problems chosing an image to referance for the beginner challenge this month, and have never used powerpose so thought I'd use that to try to create a scene like the one in "Spaceballs" when the villens rent the movie in question to try and find where the heros have gone only to end up at the exact moment in the movie they are at when they fast forward the film.

Basicly when I'm happy with the pose as if he's reacting to seeing himself in real time (pushing away from the laptop, and turning in the direction of the camera.) I'll take the render I'm happy with, and use it to replace the screen of the laptop, rerender  and repeat a few more times to get the final effect.

• I've always have had problems chosing an image to referance for the beginner challenge this month, and have never used powerpose so thought I'd use that to try to create a scene like the one in "Spaceballs" when the villens rent the movie in question to try and find where the heros have gone only to end up at the exact moment in the movie they are at when they fast forward the film.

Basicly when I'm happy with the pose as if he's reacting to seeing himself in real time (pushing away from the laptop, and turning in the direction of the camera.) I'll take the render I'm happy with, and use it to replace the screen of the laptop, rerender  and repeat a few more times to get the final effect.

march2020a.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • I did some tweeking of his pose and moved the table and laptop some. I also added the first render of this version to the laptop's screen so as to better show what I'm trying for.

march2020b2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M

I did some tweeking of his pose and moved the table and laptop some. I also added the first render of this version to the laptop's screen so as to better show what I'm trying for.

You should also upload the reference picture. I can't tell how good or accurate the pose is compared to original.

This is my first attempt at a pose.

I focused for now mostly on the upper body part and the arms, trying to find a good balance of movements and limit excedding without them looking weird.

Please let me know what you think and any advice you have for me. (I know that arms arms are not touching the floor perfectly, I'm not doing that yet as once I move the other parts they won't do that anyways.

This is the reference: https://unsplash.com/photos/8Z2ccyjqhSg .

Pose1.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • I did some tweeking of his pose and moved the table and laptop some. I also added the first render of this version to the laptop's screen so as to better show what I'm trying for.

You should also upload the reference picture. I can't tell how good or accurate the pose is compared to original.

Given that a referance wasn't required for the intermediate challange if I read the discription right, how about a link to the scene that inspired what I'm doing? Here.