March 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing and Posing II

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

Another update. I might remove chandelier in the next update and still haven't added proper expressions.

I think you wnet a bit too low with your camera position here. If you look at the space between the shoulder and the beginning of the head, there is much more in the original. It might be as well that the collar bend needs to be lowered as well but its hard to tell how much from this position. Probably the same is true for her right shoulder.

And maybe try overbending her left knee. BTW I really like the dforce effect of that silvery white dress in the test before. It's a bit short and with her legs postition a bit risky (she got panties?) but nice anyway

Shack said:

Intermediate Challenge

I have been using Daz Studio for about a year and I didn't know that PowerPoae was there. This will certainly help me in future renders. I will most likely still use dials to refine poses but PowerPose should speed up my work. Here is a very simple render using PowerPose.

Glad you tried and found something that helps in the future. Is his clothing smething d-force? if yes I would suggest you try using that, it looks a bit puffy atm.

my concept sofare. i normaly spend hours poseing but this is great. thankyou.

Interesting challenge you chose there, the huge difference between the original characters  and the sort of characters you chose here make it a bit difficult to compare, but I'll try.

What jumps at me is the starting postion. you character seems to have the chest bent ourward and the back bent too much backwards compared to the original. If you look at the original the line from the upper legs up to the upper chest is straight if tilted, there is not bent backwards. then the upper chest is bent in and forward. That curce will be entended to the next pody parts in the contingency images until in the final image the body as a whole is starting to tilt over.

The arms are streched forward from the fist moment and only start bending and turning in the last one of the sequence.

Your Mouse character would need turning towards the camera, we ca see most of the from from the original.

Hope you find the time to work on this more, I would like to see this!

• c.loth1975@googlemail.com[email protected] Posts: 69
    edited March 2020

Hello,

I hope everyone is safe and healthy. Also thanks to @Linwelly for the detailed critique of my
    entry's first iteration. I hope I could include everything into my second iteration. Without further
    ado here is my second version of my entry for the posing beginner's challenge.

My reference is this (link only because of copyright reasons): https://themarcus.com/getmedia/ab93b124-3e5c-4e76-85d2-377f682514ab/5550R3.jpg?width=1300

No post processing, this is a pure render. I'd really welcome your critique.

Best regards, and stay safe and healthy

Rovanovance_V2.png
    1187 x 1920 - 2M
    Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited March 2020

Ok I got some time to polish off my first beginner and first intermediat poses.

Beginner pose (original pose https://unsplash.com/photos/8Z2ccyjqhSg):

I will work some more on the environment if I have time, put in 

Intermediate pose (original pose https://unsplash.com/photos/DrUguS1oBGU):

I might work a little more on the lighting, maybe also make a black and white version

Please feel free to let me know what is wrong or right with my current renders.

the beginners challenge is really close to the original now, I feel the her bending over leg (uh I guess its the left one, I'm lost with limbs right now blush) needs to be a bit more in line with the rest of her body, I think it is going too much to the side. Lovely work with the hair detail as well, very good so far!

For the second image (on a side not when I inspected the original a bit closer I had the impression that is was tampered with in Photoshop, that those two nver were interacting like that, but lets ignore that for the moment)

So I suggest you move hr a tad more up on his back so that her neck can rest on his shoulder, I suppose that would need some more backwards bent in the upper chest as well. maybe there is more bent in the upper abdomen as well, which then woudl readjust the las position to how it is in the moment.

The details on her hands and feet are very good already.

Most of the mans pose looks fine, there is more bent in the toes in the original and in the consequence the bends in upper and lower legs are a bit different as well.

Well done so far again!

Post edited by Chohole on
  • alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    Linwelly said:

Ok I got some time to polish off my first beginner and first intermediat poses.

Beginner pose (original pose https://unsplash.com/photos/8Z2ccyjqhSg):

I will work some more on the environment if I have time, put in 

Intermediate pose (original pose https://unsplash.com/photos/DrUguS1oBGU):

I might work a little more on the lighting, maybe also make a black and white version

Please feel free to let me know what is wrong or right with my current renders.

the beginners challenge is really close to the original now, I feel the her bending over leg (uh I guess its the left one, I'm lost with limbs right now blush) needs to be a bit more in line with the rest of her body, I think it is going too much to the side. Lovely work with the hair detail as well, very good so far!

For the second image (on a side not when I inspected the original a bit closer I had the impression that is was tampered with in Photoshop, that those two nver were interacting like that, but lets ignore that for the moment)

So I suggest you move hr a tad more up on his back so that her neck can rest on his shoulder, I suppose that would need some more backwards bent in the upper chest as well. maybe there is more bent in the upper abdomen as well, which then woudl readjust the las position to how it is in the moment.

The details on her hands and feet are very good already.

Most of the mans pose looks fine, there is more bent in the toes in the original and in the consequence the bends in upper and lower legs are a bit different as well.

Well done so far again!

Thank you for the feedback. Very helpfull, I will get on with the changes.

Thanks for noticing the hair :). It was more trouble than a lot of the body parts actually as it doesn't actually have enough rigging in it so it is a combination of posing from rigging and dForcing a non-dforce hair with some weight map painting to not ruin the head part and only influence the pony-tail.

Regarding the second image, after I had already posed the male and got to the female I also got the impression that there are actually 2 images overlapped. Her hair, I think gives it most away but I was already invested in the pose :). 

• wmiller314wmiller314 Posts: 184

@cloth1975 I like the way you flattened out his hand. That looks very nice. Very realistic. Good job.

• Hi Guys, I would like to enter for the intermediate category.

- Image Title: Slam! - Software used: DAZ3D 4.12

SLAM_JPG.jpg
    1355 x 920 - 630K
    cloth1975 said:

Hello,

I hope everyone is safe and healthy. Also thanks to @Linwelly for the detailed critique of my
    entry's first iteration. I hope I could include everything into my second iteration. Without further
    ado here is my second version of my entry for the posing beginner's challenge.

My reference is this (link only because of copyright reasons): https://themarcus.com/getmedia/ab93b124-3e5c-4e76-85d2-377f682514ab/5550R3.jpg?width=1300

No post processing, this is a pure render. I'd really welcome your critique.

Best regards, and stay safe and healthy

nice improvements on lots of little details!

There are some things you could still try to correct if you got the time, like his feet, the left one shows too much underside of the foot in the moment and the right one needs a bit more stretch in the bent of the foot and the toes. and spread the fingers on his left hand. His face might be facing upwards even a bit more, not sure which boes this guy has but try lover and upper neck there.

her head could use a bit more bent backwards as well I think.

But over all this is pretty close already

Hi Guys, I would like to enter for the intermediate category.

a late welcome to this challenge! This is a very dynamic posing and an excellent example to use the powerpost tool to move the figures into position (I'm assuming that's what you did).

excellent way for the characters ineracting in such a action driven situation. Did you use a photo as example? I would like to see some expressions on their faces (though it might be your intention to leave the faces neutral since these figures look like some sort of dummies)

• ariochsnowpawariochsnowpaw Posts: 147
    edited March 2020

Intermediate Challenge

Almost!

I have not droppped of the face of the earth (or Daz).  Been very busy with my new job and learning clothing creation (already hate rigging and weighting).  This is a little bit of a late entry but I really wanted to put some work into really getting a handle on PowerPose (and I miss getting to participate in the challenges).

PowerPose has been my go-to for getting expressions down the way I want them.  It was truly a worthwhile learning experience to do full body poses with it.  I wish I had done this sooner...will save me hours on posing time going forward.

Rendered in DS, post in PS.

Almost post.jpg
    1250 x 773 - 461K
    Post edited by ariochsnowpaw on
  • 0996ps0996ps Posts: 182
    Linwelly said:

I think you wnet a bit too low with your camera position here. If you look at the space between the shoulder and the beginning of the head, there is much more in the original. It might be as well that the collar bend needs to be lowered as well but its hard to tell how much from this position. Probably the same is true for her right shoulder.

And maybe try overbending her left knee. BTW I really like the dforce effect of that silvery white dress in the test before. It's a bit short and with her legs postition a bit risky (she got panties?) but nice anyway

I was aware of the neck height difference and I felt the problem was beyond posing and my capabilities. To me, it seems the difference between Daz model and the reference was too much. In the reference, the models are athletic, thin, tall. They are in motion where their muscles are engaged in the whole body and in Daz, the 3D model is just a puppet with no Breathing, Muscles contraction, Viens and other things which could make it human. There is another factor that was troubling me, the reference has a heavy field of view which seems to create a fisheye effect and giving disproportional height to the models. Anyway, this is the best I could do given my interest in posing and other unrelated reasons which keeps me from trying too hard. This is all just my point of view and I don't know if I am correct and who knows in future if I learn more and change my mind.

That silver dress was just a shader experiment and it helped me in posing since I could see more outline of the body and it was indeed too risque to be in final render and yes she had panties. XD
    I adjusted the reference image a bit so maybe try comparing this new reference with entry. This entry is last. I am happy with results as they are.

edited March 2020

Beginner​ Challenge - Posing
    Title - An Elegant Theatric.
    Software Used - DAZ Studio 4.12 Pro, GIMP 2.10.

March, 2020 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Pose Denoised.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    March, 2020 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Pose Reference.jpg
    2599 x 1456 - 2M
    Post edited by 0996ps on

Hi, I don't know how to say this but your pose looks a lot like the one from the main promo here: https://www.daz3d.com/pro-style-wrestling-poses-for-genesis-8-female . Just a little tweaked.

• Hi Guys, I would like to enter for the intermediate category.

Hi, I don't know how to say this but your pose looks a lot like the one from the main promo here: https://www.daz3d.com/pro-style-wrestling-poses-for-genesis-8-female . Just a little tweaked.

Hi Alex86fire, well it seems like you are saying that i plagiarised the linked pose. Firstly thank you for the compliament as this is one of my first attempts at posing, which was done from scratch. I only have the base pack for Genesis 8 and no additional poses in my library. I've attached a screen grab of my workspace - no idea how else to show that this is my original content. I will also attach a link to the reference i used.

DAZ3D_Workspace.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 737K

Hi Alex86fire, well it seems like you are saying that i plagiarised the linked pose. Firstly thank you for the compliament as this is one of my first attempts at posing, which was done from scratch. I only have the base pack for Genesis 8 and no additional poses in my library. I've attached a screen grab of my workspace - no idea how else to show that this is my original content. I will also attach a link to the reference i used.

Hi immissmylung. Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion. It was just that the poses are so similar and I had seen that pose pack the other day so it looked really strange. I guess there aren't that many different poses in wrestling, I don't know that much about it.

You pose does look great btw. Very dynamic.

I would like to step in at this point and mark two things reagarding the participation in this challenge:

Using existing pose sets and then working from them is not a problem in this challenge, so even if a preset was used, the changes to the pose are still a major difference, and your own (and this is true for all participants) achievement.

Point two is that the decision if something is allowed or not lies with the CVs/mods hosting this challenge, not the other participants.

We would like to encourage a supportive and positive communication between the fellow participants.

Now please continue with happy rendering, the rest of the month is short.

edited March 2020
    Linwelly said:

I would like to step in at this point and mark two things reagarding the participation in this challenge:

Using existing pose sets and then working from them is not a problem in this challenge, so even if a preset was used, the changes to the pose are still a major difference, and your own (and this is true for all participants) achievement.

Point two is that the decision if something is allowed or not lies with the CVs/mods hosting this challenge, not the other participants.

We would like to encourage a supportive and positive communication between the fellow participants.

Regarding the first point, that is something useful to know for the future. My opinion on this is that it takes from the difficulity of posing something complex. Starting from an intermediate pose and fine tuning is completely different to posing something from scratch. From scratch you have to think think which bones have what rotation (especially in the poses where the middle area is bent). Of course modifying an existing pose to something more realistic or more complex or just different is in itself something great but in my mind, it should be disclosed what the starting pose was. Of course these are just my opinions and as I am not in charge of the challenge they are not deciding in any way.

Regarding the second point, I would never presume to make a decision on what is or not allowed but I would also not expect you guys to be familiar with all pose packs out there so a pose could even be 100% from a pose pack that you don't know and you would judge it with different eyes depending on what information you have. All I was trying to do was put all available information at your disposal to be able to make an informed decision.

Now regarding this particular case, I was mistaken and already apologized but it seemed like a huge coincidence to have a new pose pack with a similar pose appear like 1 or 2 days before this pose was taken. There was also no reference image at first which only added to my wrong conclusion. 

If in the future you think I should hold this information to myself, I can do that as well (I actually didn't post at first when I saw the pose and likeness as I was unsure how to phrase it and how it would be received).

Post edited by alex86fire on
    Linwelly said:

Off topic question. It I make 20-50 original poses and save them as pose preset. Can I sell those to Daz. In other words, how to create and sell poses. What are the do's and don't.
    Linwelly said:

Off topic question. It I make 20-50 original poses and save them as pose preset. Can I sell those to Daz. In other words, how to create and sell poses. What are the do's and don't.

I don't know about selling them directly to Daz but if you are interested in becoming a PA and starting out with poses I believe that is an option.

There is this interesting blog post https://blog.daz3d.com/how-to-make-with-daz3d/ from Daz giving some details on what you have to do. I believe if you have a nice theme for the poses and make some great promo shots you can try to enter the market.

• Hi again guys, I'm entering a second image for the intermediate category (if possible) I know its last minute but i hope you enjoy!

- Image Title: Super Hero Slam - Software used: DAZ3D 4.12 - link to the reference i used.

POWER_SLAM!.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited March 2020

Here are my final versions of the poses:

Beginner challenge (for easier access here is the reference ):

Intermediate challenge(for easier access here is the reference ):

Beginner Pose 1.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    IC Final.png
    2560 x 2048 - 5M
    Post edited by alex86fire on
  • Linwelly said:

Version c here, with some tweeking of his pose, moving the laptop so that he wasn't overlaping the screen, giving him an ear peace so he was in contact with someone else, texture work on the floor chair and table, and render/replace the screen 5 times before rendering a 6th time with next to no hint of the origional screen.

I certainly love the efford you're puttin in this and the idea is lovely but as usual I really want to have this with more light, pretty please! You can brighten up the image you're placing in the screens map in some image manipulation program (Gimp photoshop etc) and lighten up the last iteration setting in DS, so you don't have to go through all of them again. More light will speed up you render time as well

Spent yesterday making one last version. Changed out the lighting settings on the overhead lighting rig, and redid the six renders that I did on the previous version to keep consitancy on the lighting, though I used the last render of the previous version rather then the defalt texture that came with the laptop.

march2020d6.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Linwelly said:

I'm not a PA myself so my advice on this topic is of very limited use. There are some informations about this on the DAZ main page : https://blog.daz3d.com/how-to-make-with-daz3d/

also I recommend reading this Journal on dA by Sickeyield and the oned following up on the matter: https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Making-A-Living-at-DAZ3D-407828896.

Generally it seems a good idea to get the hang of things by sharing some freebies first.

Linwelly said:

Version c here, with some tweeking of his pose, moving the laptop so that he wasn't overlaping the screen, giving him an ear peace so he was in contact with someone else, texture work on the floor chair and table, and render/replace the screen 5 times before rendering a 6th time with next to no hint of the origional screen.

I certainly love the efford you're puttin in this and the idea is lovely but as usual I really want to have this with more light, pretty please! You can brighten up the image you're placing in the screens map in some image manipulation program (Gimp photoshop etc) and lighten up the last iteration setting in DS, so you don't have to go through all of them again. More light will speed up you render time as well

Spent yesterday making one last version. Changed out the lighting settings on the overhead lighting rig, and redid the six renders that I did on the previous version to keep consitancy on the lighting, though I used the last render of the previous version rather then the defalt texture that came with the laptop.

This works much better with the new lights now! He's got a bit of a goofy look like surprise, so now I wonder what maked him look like that.

Here are my final versions of the poses:

Beginner challenge (for easier access here is the reference ):

Intermediate challenge(for easier access here is the reference ):

Very well done on both! I like the better light for the first one but I think you tilted your camera a tiny bit, so the floor became uneven. Maybe you van correct that still (cut out in post?)

I'm amazed by the flipping over pose there, that's kind od a better match than the original ;)

regarding the other topic about using presets to work from, it's always a bit of the question what kind of challenge do the users want to pose to themselves. Of course using a premade pose without changes is no challenge at all, and you learn way more gouing from skretch. But that's why we've got this idea of trying to emulate poses found on photos/images on the net. It would be rare to find those ready premade.

Hi again guys, I'm entering a second image for the intermediate category (if possible) I know its last minute but i hope you enjoy!

- Image Title: Super Hero Slam - Software used: DAZ3D 4.12 - link to the reference i used.

That's another very dynamic pose combination. I think the feet of the orange person could use some more contact to the floor. In the moment it looks a little as if the orange person has no weight. As well the left foot need more bending at the toes to give the figure the drive forward for the blow she strikes.

Linwelly said:

I'm not a PA myself so my advice on this topic is of very limited use. There are some informations about this on the DAZ main page : https://blog.daz3d.com/how-to-make-with-daz3d/

also I recommend reading this Journal on dA by Sickeyield and the oned following up on the matter: https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Making-A-Living-at-DAZ3D-407828896.

Generally it seems a good idea to get the hang of things by sharing some freebies first.

Thanks that was helpful.

• Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:

This works much better with the new lights now! He's got a bit of a goofy look like surprise, so now I wonder what maked him look like that.

How do you think you'd react if you were checking camera feeds and came across one that was looking right over your shoulder at the screen?

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited March 2020
    Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:

How do you think you'd react if you were checking camera feeds and came across one that was looking right over your shoulder at the screen?

Edit - accedental dubble post due to lag.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on