March 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing and Posing II

Comments

• 0996ps0996ps Posts: 182

Given that a referance wasn't required for the intermediate challange if I read the discription right, how about a link to the scene that inspired what I'm doing? Here.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that. I have been busy lately. Your work looks good.

• c.loth1975@googlemail.com[email protected] Posts: 69
    edited March 2020

Hello everyone,

here is my entry for the Beginner's Challenge. For copyright reasons I only provide a link to my reference: https://themarcus.com/getmedia/ab93b124-3e5c-4e76-85d2-377f682514ab/5550R3.jpg?width=1300

And here is my scene based on the reference. I call it "Romanovance". I'd really appreciate any feedback and critique. :-)

Best regards

Romanovance.png
    1187 x 1920 - 2M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 401
    edited March 2020

Heads up, everyone - when I clicked on the linked searches at the beginning of the thread, I got a number of images like the pictures on this site. Some of these models (and costumes) look awfully familiar ... as in, I'm pretty sure they're straight out of the Daz library.

I just looked at one of the sites in question, "Figurosity," and I hope what they're doing is legal, because everything is straight out of Daz ...

Post edited by LaPartita on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796
    LaPartita said:

Heads up, everyone - when I clicked on the linked searches at the beginning of the thread, I got a number of images like the pictures on this site. Some of these models (and costumes) look awfully familiar ... as in, I'm pretty sure they're straight out of the Daz library.

I just looked at one of the sites in question, "Figurosity," and I hope what they're doing is legal, because everything is straight out of Daz ...

As mentioned above the search results will change withe the settings google has saved for you. try to check if there isn't some "google+daz" at the front of your search URL, or something similar,  then you would need to remove the DAZ in there

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    LaPartita said:

Why would there be anything illegal?

I checked them out. They are not selling the models. They are not even selling the poses. All they are doing is selling you a membership to acces their renders of poses and expressions. It seems 100% legit to me and a great idea to make money with Daz posing.

• LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 401
    edited March 2020

They don't mention Daz anywhere and strongly imply their poses are of real people, which seems a little ethically dubious to me, since they're selling renders of posed models for artists to work on drawing figures. But that's hardly the same as illegal. I have no idea what makes that kind of thing legal, and just thought I should flag it so someone who does know can check it out. I know the PAs work really, really hard, and I don't want to see them get ripped off.

In terms of this contest, it was mostly a warning to make sure the image you're copying isn't straight out of a pre-existing Daz pose pack. I've recognized plenty of stuff on Pixabay, for example - and since Pixabay doesn't charge anything, I think that's totally legit. But I think copying a pose that uses a daz character and a daz pose pack kind of defeats the purpose of this challenge! cheeky

Post edited by LaPartita on
  • GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562
    edited March 2020
    LaPartita said:

They don't mention Daz anywhere and strongly imply their poses are of real people, which seems a little ethically dubious to me, since they're selling renders of posed models for artists to work on drawing figures. But that's hardly the same as illegal. I have no idea what makes that kind of thing legal, and just thought I should flag it so someone who does know can check it out. I know the PAs work really, really hard, and I don't want to see them get ripped off.

In terms of this contest, it was mostly a warning to make sure the image you're copying isn't straight out of a pre-existing Daz pose pack. I've recognized plenty of stuff on Pixabay, for example - and since Pixabay doesn't charge anything, I think that's totally legit. But I think copying a pose that uses a daz character and a daz pose pack kind of defeats the purpose of this challenge! cheeky

Copyright most of the time two way sword. When you want to protect your work it is necessary and someone else's overprotectiveness causes stall of innovation for you. Free or not doesn't matter. Also there are many basic things someone cannot copyright. If they are using Daz store poses with license, I wish their success. For this contest it is really essential to make your own pose.
    Post edited by Galaxy on
    edited March 2020
    LaPartita said:

I agree that those poses should not be used as inspiration. Of course real people poses are the goal here.

As in regards to their website, it is clear those are not real people :). I mean maybe they modeled the poses after real people, I don't know if all the poses are store bought or not.

In regards to legality, it is clearly stated in the EULA that we can sell our renders however we want. As long as they did the renders themselves, I see nothing illegal there. It's not even an issue of interactive license or not, as they are not animated.

But for example, if interactive licenses were bought, one could make a face creator application where you use Daz characters and morphs to create your own character to play with in a game. They fact that someone purchase the models (and in this case the interactive license) allows them to do that. They don't have to mention where they got the models, that is a totaly different type of license and it usually comes with a free item with strings attached.

Post edited by alex86fire on

to cut this discussion a bit short, I would liek to encourage everybody to either choose a photo reference or one from 2d art( painted/sketched). I really would prefer you to not use references from DAZ people.

An alternative to people would be to use an animal as reference (there are tons of cat image on the net, so if you happen to own the DAZ cat, that's sure an option)

Linwelly said:

to cut this discussion a bit short, I would liek to encourage everybody to either choose a photo reference or one from 2d art( painted/sketched). I really would prefer you to not use references from DAZ people.

An alternative to people would be to use an animal as reference (there are tons of cat image on the net, so if you happen to own the DAZ cat, that's sure an option)

I would recommend to people to try with dog poses at least.

Daz cat rigging is a bit outdated and they don't look too good, no matter what you do.

Linwelly said:

I would recommend to people to try with dog poses at least.

Daz cat rigging is a bit outdated and they don't look too good, no matter what you do.

I believe we can let the participants decide on that, right? ;)

• wmiller314wmiller314 Posts: 184

Okay I'm doing the beginner posing challenge. I've always loved Marilyn Monroe in the Seven Year Itch and wanted to copy that pose, but I decided to do a futuristic version which I'm callling the 7000 Yeay Itch. I've included the still from the movie for those who haven't seen it. I don't have a very good computer, so the image is a little grainy when you zoom right in, but this was the best I could do. The enviroment is from Stone Mason. If anyone wants to know the other stuff I used I can link to it. I've only been using Daz for about two months now, so let me know what you think and what I could have done better. Cheers!

7 year itch 002.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 81K
    7000 Year Itch 001.png
    2600 x 1084 - 5M

Okay I'm doing the beginner posing challenge. I've always loved Marilyn Monroe in the Seven Year Itch and wanted to copy that pose, but I decided to do a futuristic version which I'm callling the 7000 Yeay Itch. I've included the still from the movie for those who haven't seen it. I don't have a very good computer, so the image is a little grainy when you zoom right in, but this was the best I could do. The enviroment is from Stone Mason. If anyone wants to know the other stuff I used I can link to it. I've only been using Daz for about two months now, so let me know what you think and what I could have done better. Cheers!

Same time as me but you have so much control over your render and here I am who still has not learned dforce simulation. Nice render.
  • wmiller314wmiller314 Posts: 184

@tristanQEverett If it makes you feel any better, I didn't use any dforce simulation in this render, just some style morphs for the dress and posing for the characters. But I'm glad you like it. 

• Wyoma girl posing at my studio using my own HDRI generated through a cheap fisheye extension, an AD600 Pro light set and a "secret sauce" for realism.

WyomaGirl.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 532K
    edited March 2020

Reference: https://pixabay.com/photos/people-ballet-dance-couple-beauty-3174228/

I realized the foot was going through the ground and fixed it but in the process, I messed up the dforce simulation. I also overwrote early saves so no rollback and now I have to fix dforce before the next update. The scene feels very empty and I am a little busy in side project I am doing so the updates will be slow and this might be the only entry.

This is a work in progress for beginner entry.

z02.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 1M
    z00.jpg
    3478 x 1456 - 953K
    Post edited by 0996ps on
    edited March 2020
    cloth1975 said:

Hello everyone,

here is my entry for the Beginner's Challenge. For copyright reasons I only provide a link to my reference: https://themarcus.com/getmedia/ab93b124-3e5c-4e76-85d2-377f682514ab/5550R3.jpg?width=1300

And here is my scene based on the reference. I call it "Romanovance". I'd really appreciate any feedback and critique. :-)

Best regards

welcome to the NUC challenge, tha'ts a very ambitious posing challenge you've chosen there but you made a good start with it. I like the characters you chose for this.

One info for the start, I have the impression you rescaled your images in the post without keeping the side relations intact, so it looks a bit off there. using the icon image the side relations are fine.

Now what you need to account for is that the size of your characters to each other are more different than your example people. Starting with the lady, i think she needs a bit more twist away from the camera, we're getting a clear sideview on the woman in the example and the line of the back continues up until the elbows and the elbows are bent more than in your image. The ladin in your image has the arms too much in the back (maybe this already looks different after you turn her more. The lady in the example looks into the camera, so hear turned sidesways bit not tilted, maybe a little bit backwards. Her knee is hidden behind the mans leg, there is too much knee seen on your lady.

Now him your hulks hand needs a good strong contact with the ground, again he need a little twist towards the camera in the hip, to mach the chest you either need to twist that or push the collar back on the left shoulder, his left leg needs to be more to the side than to the front, the lower neck needs a stronger bent upwards and the right food needs more stretcheng and a little sidwards tilt with the toes moved close together.

Now that's a lot of things but it's all details, so I'm sure you can do it! It's often the details that make the difference from an unconvinving to a convinging pose. And with the people in your example everyting is highly controlled in their movement, that is something you want to transport into your scene

Very nice choice and a cool adaption to the future there, I like that already!

Now for the nitpicking. Lets start with the male part this time. He's larger that the original, so getting the adaption right is difficult. I think your man is bent a little too much forward, and he needs to make that little step that will give his pi a bit of a twist to get the upper part into the right angle. I have the impression he closes his eey in your image, the original look is (surprisingly) up to her head, his head is less bent forward. instead his upper body is bend sidewards so we see more of the left shoulder.

The most prominent difernece on th lady is how the skirt blows up. maybe you manage to get the wind realy more into the front? Your girl bends a tad too much in the knees and she need to be turned a tad more to the camera. the right leg is a tad further to the rear and twisted so we see the heel. Her shoulders (thats the collar there) need bending upwards, the arms should be moven straight down (most of that comes from the collar and then some from the shoulder, the pectorasl will need to be be pushed inwards a bit with that.

Looking forward to see the next itereation here!

This is my first attempt at a pose.

I focused for now mostly on the upper body part and the arms, trying to find a good balance of movements and limit excedding without them looking weird.

Please let me know what you think and any advice you have for me. (I know that arms arms are not touching the floor perfectly, I'm not doing that yet as once I move the other parts they won't do that anyways.

This is the reference: https://unsplash.com/photos/8Z2ccyjqhSg .

Very good start so far! You already noticed the arms so no further comments on that. You already reproduced that curve her body forms with the streched lege very nicely. The food at the end need a tod more attention being tilted and moved a little outward and mostly making a curve in itsef. so the toes need bending and the foot itseld as well a bit more. same is true for the other foot that is upwart. I think the original is bent a bit sideways in the pelvis and her right leg actually is turned a bit towards the camera,

This is on a good way already!

Wyoma girl posing at my studio using my own HDRI generated through a cheap fisheye extension, an AD600 Pro light set and a "secret sauce" for realism.

interesting pose and for the most parts she looks like she's in a photoshoot alright. Now do you have a reference for this and which part of the challenge are you aprticipating?

I think in that post her left collar would be moved upards a bit more showing that she's leaning in adn her left food does seem to have a tiny gap to the floor. Otherwise she looks very well posed, I like the detail of her skirt being tucked up with the seat a little

Reference: https://pixabay.com/photos/people-ballet-dance-couple-beauty-3174228/

I realized the foot was going through the ground and fixed it but in the process, I messed up the dforce simulation. I also overwrote early saves so no rollback and now I have to fix dforce before the next update. The scene feels very empty and I am a little busy in side project I am doing so the updates will be slow and this might be the only entry.

This is a work in progress for beginner entry.

The horrors of d-force ;)  I will give you a little extra challenge getting the light settings similar to the one in the reference, it will help you greatly with the "emptyness" in your image.

I think you need to change your camera position to a bit lower to get the same view, In yours we're looking straight on (esp. her) in the original we're looking from below. her ight leg needs more of the tilt, you probably need to twist everyting from the upper clf to the food a llittle for that, and I think your lady is leanign forward a bit too much. her left arm neesd to be a little less direct forwards, there is a bend in the elbow in the original, she's having a great deal of pressure in that arm to keep her up.

His pose is a bit hard to see since he's got that wider shirt in your image. I think he needs less bend in the head/neck or the neck more backwards.

let's see your next result with the struggles of dforce :D

• Version c here, with some tweeking of his pose, moving the laptop so that he wasn't overlaping the screen, giving him an ear peace so he was in contact with someone else, texture work on the floor chair and table, and render/replace the screen 5 times before rendering a 6th time with next to no hint of the origional screen.

march2020c6.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M

I put a pause on my first pose and decided to also try a pose for the intermediate challenge with powerpose and puppeteer.

The puppeteer tutorials look good and I understood what it is good for and how I could use it. Unfortunately, for the pose I want, puppeteer is not the right tool. It seems it fits more for creating animations or transition poses between 2 poses you already have. Very useful for these case and I am glad I found out about it as I can use it in my day to day work from now on.

I decided to use powerpose. The video tutorials linked don't really explain it. One is only for active pose and pinning which is linked at the beginner tutorial and the other one barely mentions powerpose but doesn't really explain how you can use it to obtain anything decent.

I found another video, if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMZqpG76J88 . My conclusion from that video is it is a simpler method to use the individual parameters on the bones (the method I was using before) so I will try it.

I put a pause on my first pose and decided to also try a pose for the intermediate challenge with powerpose and puppeteer.

The puppeteer tutorials look good and I understood what it is good for and how I could use it. Unfortunately, for the pose I want, puppeteer is not the right tool. It seems it fits more for creating animations or transition poses between 2 poses you already have. Very useful for these case and I am glad I found out about it as I can use it in my day to day work from now on.

I decided to use powerpose. The video tutorials linked don't really explain it. One is only for active pose and pinning which is linked at the beginner tutorial and the other one barely mentions powerpose but doesn't really explain how you can use it to obtain anything decent.

I found another video, if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMZqpG76J88 . My conclusion from that video is it is a simpler method to use the individual parameters on the bones (the method I was using before) so I will try it.

Yep, that's exactly why I am not into puppeteer anymore. I also think It's more of an animation tool or creating a set of poses for animation and links are not really telling what exactly is power posing. I feel like its pinning while posing. I already do posing bone by bone and with pins. In the end, I think I will only do 1 render for the challenge. Could do two if the time permits.

edited March 2020
    Linwelly said:

let's see your next result with the struggles of dforce :D

Its not impossible to recreate lighting like that but its too much work, I will consider doing it if I get time by end of the month. I had fixed camera angle the time I uploaded that render but because the dress had a simulation issue, I uploaded an early render. Here is an update after fixing dforce. I tried recreating neck pose again from 0 and the results are not much different, I will consider redoing neck again with limits turned off and will also add expressions and eye movements.

Edit: testzz1.jpg doesn't have baggy clothing on male. I will keep the baggy clothing because I seriously lack male wardrobe products and the baggy one is the only good looking one.

z4.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 722K
    z4denoised.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 738K
    z 00.jpg
    3478 x 1456 - 953K
    dforce mess.JPG
    911 x 795 - 76K
    test zz1.jpg
    1422 x 1244 - 1M
    Post edited by 0996ps on

Another update. I might remove chandelier in the next update and still haven't added proper expressions.

x2Denoised880px.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 278K
  • ShackShack Posts: 22

Intermediate Challenge

I have been using Daz Studio for about a year and I didn't know that PowerPoae was there. This will certainly help me in future renders. I will most likely still use dials to refine poses but PowerPose should speed up my work. Here is a very simple render using PowerPose.

Hyde Steps Out.png
    769 x 1000 - 2M
  • bastian2560bastian2560 Posts: 81
    edited March 2020

my concept sofare. i normaly spend hours poseing but this is great. thankyou.

Untitled 1.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 221K
    edited March 2020

Ok I got some time to polish off my first beginner and first intermediat poses.

Beginner pose (original pose https://unsplash.com/photos/8Z2ccyjqhSg):

I will work some more on the environment if I have time, put in 

Intermediate pose (original pose https://unsplash.com/photos/DrUguS1oBGU):

I might work a little more on the lighting, maybe also make a black and white version

Please feel free to let me know what is wrong or right with my current renders.

Pose1_contest.png
    2560 x 1440 - 6M
    Intermediate1.png
    2560 x 2048 - 2M

Version c here, with some tweeking of his pose, moving the laptop so that he wasn't overlaping the screen, giving him an ear peace so he was in contact with someone else, texture work on the floor chair and table, and render/replace the screen 5 times before rendering a 6th time with next to no hint of the origional screen.

I certainly love the efford you're puttin in this and the idea is lovely but as usual I really want to have this with more light, pretty please! You can brighten up the image you're placing in the screens map in some image manipulation program (Gimp photoshop etc) and lighten up the last iteration setting in DS, so you don't have to go through all of them again. More light will speed up you render time as well