Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Horo: Thank you kind Sir.....

Guss: I am liking what you are doing with the terrains very cool....and thanks he is the new dragon and comes with a lot of high dollar extras...LOL

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,506
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - the first terrain looks interesting in the way of being almost like a black and white hand drawing. The material on the second works quite good, but less so on the third.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Trish: Thank you very much. I've see a few scenes using that new dragon and they've been really nice. It brings so much more to a scene.

@Horo: Thank you. I'm finding it can be a challenge to use complimentary materials on the stacked terrains. I do agree about the third image concerning the material. But it was better than is closest cousin.

I changed the sky for the first of my last three images and came up with the first scene--at least I hope it will be the first one. Last post had the first one was last and last one first. The bluish hue just above the top of the terrain is the default plane set to blue with 100 ambient. The second one, again I hope it's the second one, is a different camera position. It's not much to look at but I found it rather interesting. As usual, comments are gladly welcomed.

Cauliflower_Hills_7.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Cauliflower_Hills_6.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,360
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Horo

Guss-nice work with the stacked terrains. I also tried different fractals but nothing worth sharing. I’m revisiting David’s and Horo’s videos on lighting, IBL and Hdri. Hope something clicks this time round. ;)

Trish – nice to see you posting here again, the dragon looks great.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Not been around at all recently... But am now playing catch up once again.
    I've bought some new Poser bits and pieces, so the stuff I've been playing with will no doubt eventually be exported as.obj for import into Bryce.

Great work still from everyone.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

Hi, all!

Time for a quick post of a cypress swamp scene I'm working on. It's a WIP, but I wanted to see what a quick render would look like. Cypress trees/knees are terrains with a modified default cypress material (Added more gray to the mix). Black mounds (muck) are a terrain with a modifcation to David's coal texture. HDRI is from David/Horo's vegetation product: (http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-vegetation). I used some cypress leaves from the tree editor to create a dappled light effect and blanketed the scene with Dan's fog. Now it's time to add some spider webs, low-growing vegetation and other goodies to make this more realistic.

Everyone is posting some very inspirational work.

Cheers!

Art

Swamp.jpg
    850 x 850 - 652K
    edited December 1969

Ok ....I have to ask where is the Gator

edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thanks so much. Hopefully, playing around with stacked terrains I'll finally be able to produce some nice landscapes. (Notice I said hopefully?) And here I thought I was the only person who had information go in one ear and out the other. I need to find some way to block that other opening. Like you I need to revisit both of those, and other, tutorials.

@Dave: Good to see you back. Hope all is well.

@Art: Impressive scene for a WIP--I'm easy to impress anyway.;-)

@Trish: Hey gal, how's it going?

edited July 2014

Its going pretty good there Mr. Nemo .....and how about yourself??? p.s. I gave an excuse for the floaty person in the other thread....can't spell floaty...may not even be a word....oh well

Post edited by Trish on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,360
    edited July 2014

GussNemo said:
    @mermaid: And here I thought I was the only person who had information go in one ear and out the other. I need to find some way to block that other opening. Like you I need to revisit both of those, and other, tutorials.

We need to find other ways to make the info stick, blocking the other opening does not help. ;)

Edited: I just bought my first product, The Lens and Filters I'm going to have a super duper weekend now.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@Dave - good to see you back.

@Art - that swamp looks already great and I do not doubt that you can yet improve it.

@mermaid010 - I wish you fun with the lenses and filters.

Since we have our second high resolution terrain set in the store, I can relax a bit and play around with it. The fog is from David's Cloudscapes 2 (modified) but otherwise everything is contained in the set. Three terrains in different resolutions and each one a different material from the set, ambient light by the HDRI, key light by the sun.

RockSettlement.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 146K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Horo.

New hair, new character morph... Remembering the rules, I put some clothes on her for the forum. Some close up Poser rendered pictures are in my gallery... This is one I exported from Poser into Bryce and rendered using TA with a bit of IBL.

GothFairy.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 465K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Nice one, Art...very sweaty-like feel to it...Bear Grylls would feel at home here ;)

Horo....looks great - clouds work a treat (the sub-levels - mid-ways, vertical-wise - in work), however, look like icy blocks?

Jay

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

starting to learn uv mapping
    first up, simple box

Kraft_Dinner_box_1024_762.jpg
    1024 x 762 - 279K
    edited December 1969

@Trish: I've been giving David's and Horo's stacked terrains a go. And much to my surprise, since my terrains usually look like melted pudding, some are actually quite nice--insert two crowing sounds here. I did wonder it that young lady might not be sitting on an invisible flying carpet.

@mermaid: Yeah, I found that out myself. Maybe the use of super glue?

@Horo: Really nice looking scene. It really has the look of a shear drop off, way up in the sky.

@Dave: That is a nice figure, as is the pose. Wings are pretty.

@dana: Box looks like part of lunch today. Nice work. What program did you use to map it?

Here are a couple different stacked terrains using a Warped Zorch fractal. One I use with a sunset sky, which I think is really nice. The other is just experimentation with different skies and materials. Comments are gladly welcomed.

Warped_Zorch_6.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Warped_Zorch_5.png
    1080 x 810 - 692K
    edited December 1969

@Dave - the butterfly-lady looks nice.

@dana365 - looks like a photograph (if you used soft shadows even more so).

@GussNemo - thank you. Your sunset scene is very nice. The second one shows the effect of multi-resolution terrains and materials much better.

edited December 1969

Horo:
    where do you draw inspiration from when you are building terrains? do you reference geological images or just let it come out as you build? the reason I ask is because its not just the quality of the image but the actual geography is so believable.

fencepost52:
    excellent trees and the light thru mist looks real nice.

TheSavage64:
    I am not sure what all goes into working with poser and characters but I like the scene.

GussNemo:
    man are you ever kicking those terrains and lighting!

I am learning to use Wings 3D following Davids video tutorials
    After UV mapping the first box, I found myself modeling this art pencil, it helped to get used to some of the controls and buttons,
    the paint is an image I did up in Photoshop (not uv mapped, just procedural in Bryce), the wood and pencil lead are Bryce materials.
    back to uv mapping and the next tutorial tomorrow.

Art_Pencil_1024_762.jpg
    1024 x 762 - 175K
    edited December 1969

Horo:
    thank you ,I will check out soft shadows tomorrow, I still struggle with the shadow thing, keeping the global at 100 and finding other ways to soften them. I wasn't sure if the razor sharp corners were going to take away from the realism of the box, they could use a bevel I think.

edited December 1969

@Dana - thank you. The pencil looks great. Here, you have the sun right overhead and there is only a small shadow visible. At first glance, it appeared to me as if the pencil was floating. Light and shadows are very important and make a great difference how something looks.
    The sharp corners of the box are better than when beveled too much.
    If you set the Shadow Softness, brace yourself for a longer render. In the Render Options use Premium Effects and enable Soft Shadows. Rays per Pixel default to 64, try with 9 or 16. Each higher step doubles the render time so just plop render a part and check the noise.

The terrains. Well, I have a rough idea what I want and either generate terrains randomly at low resolution until I get about what I was looking for, or - if my ideas are a bit clearer, I draw lines and generate the terrain around them in the height I set for each resolution. Once satisfied, I start introducing filters, change the order with which they are processed, and so on. If I want roads, I add splines that follow the terrain or cut through it. Finally, I export the terrain double the size of what Bryce can handle and the pixel values as 32-bit reals. Such a terrain I convert to 96-bit per pixel and process it as HDRI. Finally, I downscale it to the max Bryce size and convert the HDRI to the 16-bit unsigned integer pixel values with a program I wrote myself. On a terrain I work between 7 to 12 hours but then I have also the lower resolution ones, which I treat in the same manner.

Here's another one from set 2. Again three resolutions at the same location and with different materials from the set. Ambient light from an included HDRI and the key light from the sun.

IslandRim.jpg
    1000 x 625 - 157K
    edited December 1969

Horo:
    Awesome reply as always, I have saved the notes for future reference and thank you, I am going to try the premium effect today and stage some of the products together I have made.

edited December 1969

Horo:
    I tried the premium effect with soft shadows and found that they really did not change, or at least not that much. I tried different Ray Per Pixels, those didn't change the shadow that much either. so I am thinking I will keep trying your other suggestions for shadow control, like IBL sky, and introducing other light sources.

first image is rendered:
    premium
    soft shadows
    16RPP
    Ray Depth 8
    second image is rendered all the same accept I dropped global shadows (25%) to see the shadow I would like to attain without letting light pass thru my objects.
    oh, and I also have put the sun intensity at 150 for both of these, it might be my monitor, but everything I do seems dark, .Does it seem way to bright on your monitor?

Kraft_Crack_junky_can_global_shadow_25.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 604K
    Kraft_Crack_junky_can.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 603K
  • STKyddSTKydd Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

@ Danna , LOL I love your sense of humor, Great render and I could not stop laughing.

edited July 2014

@Horo: Thank you for the kind words. That particular stacked terrain seems better suited to blend materials than my last one. By any chance can you produce a video, or a PDF, showing what you described in your #709 post. I'm interested in how you draw a line then generate a terrain using that line, and of course, the other information.

@dana: Thanks. I've been surprised by some of the lighting I've managed, but am no where near being able to produce on demand the lighting I'd like. Love the pencil, and the second box image. Shadows look better to me.

Here are a couple more stacked terrain landscapes using the Warped Zorch fractal. I wasn't happy with the water material I chose so I tweaked it in the DTE until it looked like I wanted. Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Warped_Zorch_9.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Warped_Zorch_6.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - doing a video or PDF is really a bit over my head, I'm afraid, because so many programs are involved in the process. I would have to explain the working of each one of them.
    The landscapes you're doing with the stacked terrains look really great.

@dana365 - no soft shadows visible. Are you sure you enabled them. 1st image without soft shadows, 2nd image Sky Lab with Soft Shadows enabled, 3rd render with this setting. Just render premium with soft shadows doesn't create soft shadows if they are not enabled in the Sky Lab. By the way, if you want soft IBL shadows, you have to enable them separately in the IBL tab - and the render time increases even more dramatically.

ShadSoft3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
    ShadSoft2.jpg
    630 x 530 - 70K
    ShadSoft1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
    edited December 1969

The same terrain as above but at night with the camera in the crater looking up to the sky. Here, I used the fisheye lens.

MoonOverRim.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 113K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. I can understand the difficulty of explaining the use of several different programs in the making of something. Especially because other users may not have, or acquire, those programs. Would it be possible for you to explain how you create a terrain from the drawn line? It's amazing how different that one terrain looks with a bit of tweaking. How good it looks.

Now that the recent challenge has concluded, I can now post the daytime version of my Forgotten Bridge at Sunset. As usual, your comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Bridge_over_water_3.png
    575 x 575 - 655K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    ... Would it be possible for you to explain how you create a terrain from the drawn line?

I try in a nutshell. There are several ways to create a terrain. In my case, a terrain has a size I determine, 10 km square, 16 miles square, whatever. This surface is divided into 4 equal squares. And into 8 equal squares, and into 16 ... up to 8192 squares. The 4 squares are huge compared to the 8192 ones. I draw a line over the squares. This line is set to a certain height above ground, say 3000 ft or 1000 m. Or I determine that the start of the line is at 12,000 ft or 4000 m and the end at 100 ft or 30 metres. This line is drawn over the squares. The level of the line drawn over a large square is more distributed and therefore flatter than over a 1024 one. The influence this line has on every square size can be set. There are a dozen square grids on the same surface. 8 squares overlap the 4 squares and so on and therefore the height of the drawn line bleeds into the lower resolution grids. Lines can be short or long, stopped and continued a bit farther away to get a transversal valley across a ridge, or they can be drawn parallel to create a valley between the two. If I have a rather elevated terrain, I can set the height for another line low and cut through high terrain or parallel near to it to either create a deep cut or make one side of the mountain steeper than the other. And which square sizes are considered with which strength can be determined. After each modification or new line, I have to create the terrain to see how it looks. The final result is the terrain type. Then comes filtering. Each filter (erosion, fan, ridge, cross hills, stone, terraces, inverse fluvial, etc) has several controls to adjust, and again how much each square size is influenced by this filter must be set. After each change, the terrain has to be generated. The more filters, the longer it takes - usually a few seconds or minutes, but I have one that took over an hour to generate ... In the end, I export the height data as reals. Just the bare height data. I have to bring them into a graphics application to process. The raw terrain data, being reals (floating point), also have negative values, which have to be treated as well. As I mentioned, I go for 96-bit per pixel so I can use an HDRI compatible program to process the raw data. In this way, I introduce the least amount of errors. I finally export what I think is an acceptable terrain as 96-bit TIFF and for that last conversion to 16-bit unsigned integers Bryce accepts, I use a program I wrote for the task. That's about as clear and transparent as your good looking stream day version.
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2014

Playing with psychedelics...again (no drugs or drink was used in creating this render...just a rose and a glass ;) )

Nice one, Guss.

Super 'fish-eye' effect, Horo...the mountains are caving in looks like ;)

Jay

RoseGlass.jpg
    437 x 652 - 325K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Horo:
    OOOH, I did not enable them!, thanks I will rerender it with actual soft shadows, thank you , you are so very patient.

re: starting your terrain with line drawings
    are those lines your drawing similar to the american DEM (digital elevation model) file ?

GussNemo:
    ah, i thought you might have forgotten that you were going to post the day time image, I really like it, the bridge is very rusty, I don't think

it was ever painted, hee hee.

STKydd:
    thanks, I love it when someone enjoys product puns as much as I do, in the 80's there was sticker book and packs of stickers that were
    all product puns and I loved them they were called Wacky Packages if i remember right, great fun.

Jamahoney:
    very psychedelic, I like the kind of psychedelic that you can still totally see and relate to the subject matter, all the while enjoying out of
    this world color schemes

edited December 1969

there it is! soft shadows set at 25, I really like the way the program handles soft shadow, the closer to the edge the more sharp it becomes very realistic.

Kraft_Crack_junky_can_soft_shadow_enabled_25.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 604K
This discussion has been closed.