Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited June 2014

I'm not going to comment on David's works - they are simply ridiculuous (love the ice ones - doh, I commented ;) ).

Don't know if this might help, Guss, would squishing the bump be of use - the mountains may be too extended vertically, and so some bumpiness is missing. Looks a very nice scene, though - the low-lying cloudy effect works great.

BTW, and off-topic, but, sigh, have just spent the last two hours trying to rid my comp., of 'OffersWizard' Ads - jeex, what a bloody nuisance.

Jay

bumpsquish.jpg
    489 x 319 - 162K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Thank you Jay for not commenting!

Here's some more.

P58_example_scene9f.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 476K
    P58_example_scene9e.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 504K
    P58_example_scene9c.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 645K
    P58_example_scene9b.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 512K
    P58_example_scene9a.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 446K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,357
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Fencepost for your comments on the abstracts.

Guss-the render with the bridges is coming along nice, I especially like how you placed the bridges and the low clouds or are they thick fog.

David - your renders are truly awesome. I love floating islands and I'm seeing a lot of these in your renders. Are they floating islands or just the camera view giving that illusion....

edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Fencepost for your comments on the abstracts.

Guss-the render with the bridges is coming along nice, I especially like how you placed the bridges and the low clouds or are they thick fog.

David - your renders are truly awesome. I love floating islands and I'm seeing a lot of these in your renders. Are they floating islands or just the camera view giving that illusion....

Er... just an illusion the islands do pass right into the water slab. Oh dear.

P58_eg_s8_remix.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 542K
    P58_eg_s5_remix.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 579K
    P58_eg_s3_remix.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 473K
    P58_eg_s2_remix.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 572K
    P58_eg_s1_remix.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 663K
    edited December 1969

David- the sky, sea and islands are perfect. I think you are using Horo's wide-angled lens.

edited December 1969

David- the sky, sea and islands are perfect. I think you are using Horo's wide-angled lens.

No lens, these are with the Bryce perspective camera. Here below is an example with and without the wide angle lens. Notice that the curvature of the horizon, exaggerated here, is often what gives away the use of such a lens.

P58_eg_s9_remix_with_lens1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 389K
    P58_eg_s9_remix.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 467K
    edited December 1969

Thanks David for the explanation, and the examples. Learning all the time. :)

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884
    edited December 1969

Hi all,

Too many interesting things to react to all. Saw some very nice cans to make me thirsty, some great bridges, even over some real deep valleys and of course marvelous terrains by DB.

So, I made another terrain, that can give me a number of scenes. One of them you can find on Renderosity and one is in the 'stream' contest: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/627925/

Here is another one from a different vantage point, different texture on the canyon, different sky and some of my old friends. I did a very little bit of Picturenauting to get the light/dark that I wanted. And added my signature with Photoshop Elements.
    Made the terrain and rendered in Bryce.

There must be a story with this one, I guess.
    "She rowed into the strange canyon. It looked like those rocks were razorsharp. Better nog bump into one of them. No way to climb up and see from above. Hé? What was that? Did she hear something? Can't be anything dangerous living here, can there? She is really strong and big, so, any small animal would better run for cover!"

canyonsunset4_copy.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 1M
  • dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

hansmar:
    your always out side the box, love it!

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Jay: Thank you for the suggestion. The peaks seem to austere to me, to smooth. But I like that particular view point. I did try adding a bit of erode but that sent everything somewhere in left field. It looked terrible. I've yet to try your suggestion so that's another avenue to pursue.

@David: Stunning results, again. Some almost look like photos.

@mermaid: Thanks. I'm not sure, yet, whether it's low clouds, heavy fog, or a combination of the two. The jury is still playing in the sandbox.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,503
    edited December 1969

@hansmar - interesting idea. Those spiky sharp rocks make up a labyrinth. Hopefully, she doesn't get lost in it.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As usual folks, some beautiful renders going on here.

@ David: Your islands are fantastic - Still amazes me how you get many of your scenes to look so photo realistic. Awesome work as always.

@ Guss Really liked your latest image with the Bridges - Very cool.

@ Hansmar - Really interesting scene of the spiked ridges - Neat image...

Bruce

edited December 1969

@Bruce: Thank you very much.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

@Guss- Nice work on the landscapes. Bridges look like they turned out well.
    @David - Wonderful work as always.
    @hansmar - nice work. Where'd you get the scorpion>

edited December 1969

@fencepost: Thank you for both. I'm very happy with how that particular bridge turned out, but am still at odds with my latest landscape. It's still in the WIP stages. As soon as I get my other project completed, big thanks on this one, I swing my gray cells back to that landscape.

edited December 1969

I'm still trying to make use of the first high resolution terrain set. Here I used Highland with the Stoneheap HDRI. Three terrains with different resolutions and materials from the set.

TwinPeaks.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 183K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Your latest image looks more like a photo than a render. When you use multiple terrains, are any resized before the material is added? How do you blend the different materials so there isn't any banding? I ask because my last image contained two terrains and I could see the edge between the two is several places.

I can't remember why I wanted to do this project, but it was done using Wings 3D. And I wanted to try and figure out the procedures myself, but that didn't happen. With help from fencepost, and following his procedures, I came up with the following model. I added the eyes, which are Bryce spheres--Bryce couldn't see the shell extruded ones created in Wings--the nostrils, and the tail.

Pink_Marble_Piggy_Bank_Twins.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Pink_Marble_Piggy_Bank.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

@Horo: I agree with Gus. That's a very photorealistic render! Impressive!
    @Guss: Yay, glad to see you got it. I was going to add the eyes/nostrils in the steps, but I figured you would use a boolean. Wonder why Bryce didn't see them on import? Did you set them to have different materials?

edited December 1969

@fencepost: Yeah, I got it, and it really feels good. For both the eyes and nostrils, I moved the vertices to get a rough circle. Extrude was used for the nostrils, and shell extrude for the eyes. Usually, in previous works, shell extrude produces a separate object which Bryce has no trouble seeing. It was then a simple matter to add material to the separate objects.

But this time Bryce only saw the entire bank. I went back to Wings, opened a saved file to make sure the eyes were a separate object. I played around with them a bit more, even extruded them a bit more, but Bryce only saw the entire pig. So I just resized a Bryce sphere, C&V for the other eye, and inset them just enough to cover the eyes made in Wings. I've a feeling smoothing made the eyes to small for Bryce to differentiate from the main body. Or, and this is more likely, I goofed somewhere along the way. The circle for the tail was done in the same manner as the eyes and nostrils. Then it was a matter of trial and error to get the right shape and size. And thank you for all of your help.

edited December 1969

Horo-another beautiful render.

Guss- your piggy banks are so cute.

Intrigued by David’s recent renders and the fact that I keep seeing floating Islands, I attempted a floating island of my own. Here are 2 versions.

floating_island2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 27K
    floating_island1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 26K
    edited June 2014

@fencepost52 - thank you.

@GussNemo - thank you. Nice piggy bank. Your question: the terrains were initially generated for each resolution, not the highest resolution just down-scaled. This results in slightly different geometry. A tiny bit of tweaking by moving a terrain a bit down may be necessary. I load all three resolutions in the default size into the world centre and give each one a colour: red, green, blue. I hide the lowest resolution and check how the highest and the next lower one blend. Once they look good, I un-hide the lowest one and fine adjust it with the other two. Then I group them for up-scaling and placing. Only then I start giving them their final materials.

EDIT
    @mermaid010 - nice floating islands.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Some super renders! Really amazing. (sooner or later someone is going to insist you upload a wireframe view Horo because they won't believe it is a render but rather a processed photo - I'm not kidding, it's getting close) But...

Maybe there's a way to make them even more amazing. To make them amazingly amazing! (as Zaphod might say).

OK well, with Len's guidance and encouragement I've been investigating anamorphic rendering effects.

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Len's anamorphic DOF effect - by David Brinnen

It is easier to do than it is to understand or explain. So just look and see what you think.

P57_eg_s5_remix_ana2.jpg
    982 x 850 - 286K
    Ana_test2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 172K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884
    edited December 1969

@dana365: Thanks! What box? Is there a box for making Bryce renders? I never noticed! ;-)

@Horo: I think she might be digested by that huge scorpio. If not, she will find her way; I guess we will see more of her sometime.
    By the way, don't fool us by putting up photographs please! http://www.daz3d.com/forums/smileys/# We cannot get to that level of realism, so why should you? But really, I like it very much!

@goshtac: thanks. More spikes coming up!

@fencepost52: Thanks. I made the scorpio in Hexagon 2.5. Unfortunately, I have never yet been able to get to grips with rigging. I started to do so in Daz Studio, but somehow gave up after so many legs.... Still, I might finish it. If I succeed, I will definitely make it available somewhere.

@GussNemo: great piggy!

@mermaid010: I like the second one best.

@David Brinnen: Quite a lot of effect that is. A bit too much for me.
    But another unbelievable landscape!

Here is another one with my strange spiked landscape. Looks very sharp again (not realistic at all). I added elements of Grobburg and the Eastern Dragon by Daz. Called 'playful dragon'

playfuldragon.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 756K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

hi david, about what we had a brief talk about on your youtube channel,...this is my results :) ....so ty again for the info

test_render.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 690K
    edited December 1969

Horo:
    I agree with David at some point we are just going to need proof those are not photographs! Maybe if more people see the potential of Bryce it could reinvigorate the development cycle, or at least make it happen sooner than later.

GussNemo:
    Wonderful piggy models!

mermaid010:
    very sci-fi I like the top one the most but they are both really cool

David:
    with the "Ana_test2" it has a really narrow dof, the cube is perfectly in the center of that zone, it works pretty good I think, and the bokeh before and after the cube seems pretty realistic , to me any way.
    on the "P57_eg_s5_remix_ana2" there inst any obvious bokeh, but I am sure the effect is why theses renders are looking so photo realistic, just wonderful

hansmar:
    cool concept I really like the geometry in the buildings.
    If I am not mistaken , it sounds like you paint scenes as well, if so, have you posted images of your work some where on the net?

edited December 1969

timothybateman:
    I really like that grey shale/gravel you used there, that would have been ideal for my Crescent Falls renders, care to share how you came up with it? or where I could find it?

edited December 1969

dana365 said:
    timothybateman:
    I really like that grey shale/gravel you used there, that would have been ideal for my Crescent Falls renders, care to share how you came up with it? or where I could find it?

sure :) ...download if you haven't already got it "crazybump" you can buy it if you really like it, but it dose offer a 30 day free trial, ....i used a image to get the effect, image as in photo, which i will give you here :) ....have a play around with crazybump and the terrain editor in bryce, if you need more detailed info i would be happy to share, ....just ask :)

Gravel_01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 533K
    edited June 2014

timothybateman:
    Thank you so much, I will check Crazy Bump out as soon as my machines are done my animation render. I already know I am going to love it seeing the results you got . thanks as well for the great gravel.

Post edited by dana365 on
    edited December 1969

dana365 said:
    timothybateman:
    Thank you so much, I will check Crazy Bump out as soon as my machines are done my animation render. I already know I am going to love it seeing the results you got . thanks as well for the great gravel.

no problem at all, ty for the kind comments...i just finished another test render using the same method,

test_render_2.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 261K
    edited December 1969

hi david, about what we had a brief talk about on your youtube channel,...this is my results :) ....so ty again for the info

Quick work! Something I forgot to mention, though seeing this has reminded me - try and take your photos on overcast days. You will get better results resolving the height maps and the resulting images are also more amenable when it comes to rendering with a strong directional light source. The rings look good too. Though you might want to increase the sensitivity to small details in Crazybump for the wood to pick out the fine grains, otherwise it can look a bit like it is made of something waxy.

On the topic of the anamorphic rendering, this is something I'm going to come back to. I don't really understand it all myself and there are several issues to overcome and different approaches that can be taken.

This discussion has been closed.