Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

[quote author="David Brinnen"

Quick work! Something I forgot to mention, though seeing this has reminded me - try and take your photos on overcast days. You will get better results resolving the height maps and the resulting images are also more amenable when it comes to rendering with a strong directional light source. The rings look good too. Though you might want to increase the sensitivity to small details in Crazybump for the wood to pick out the fine grains, otherwise it can look a bit like it is made of something waxy.

On the topic of the anamorphic rendering, this is something I'm going to come back to. I don't really understand it all myself and there are several issues to overcome and different approaches that can be taken.

thanks for the advice, ...an overcast day! ...thats a good idea, i just had an idea myself, well regarding gravel anyway....maybe i could put a few scoops of gravel on a large flat tray on top of some dirt and take a high res picture using a controlled light source, indoors of course :) ....just a thought! ...and thanks for the tip's about crazybump, i will have another good look at that and tweak my renders a bit to see if i can improve them, it's all way's good to get some feed back on my render's considering my level of knowledge of bryce...i stll consider myself a novice.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,503
    edited December 1969

@David - I'm not fully convinced with the anamorphic examples, but then, I have some difficulty to understand exactly what I'm expected to see.

@hansmar - thank you, I think I'll make a small tuturial on the subject. Interesting usage of the Groburg. The dragon is nicely posed.

@timothybateman - gravel and ring look great. David is, of course, right about taking the photographs on an overcast day. An alternative is to find a patch in the shadow. In my experience, indoor is more problematic because you often have some directional light from a window and using artificial light is usually worse. What you need is omnidirectional light so there are absolutely no shadows.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited June 2014

Horo said:
    @David - I'm not fully convinced with the anamorphic examples, but then, I have some difficulty to understand exactly what I'm expected to see.

Yes that's my view (doubtless he would call us all peasants for our woeful lack of comprehension).

I can see there is a difference and I am assured by Len that it is an important one, but not being a photographer I'm struggling to understand why degrading my image is improving it - but I am assured it is something that is highly desirable in the photographic world - it is the same issue I have with lens flairs though and bloom.

Anyway I've continued to experiment. And made another video which I will upload in due course to explain my findings.

Here are some "broken" examples which I've created in the process of my testing.

Although they are not correct according to the effect, I find the distortions interesting, possibly more interesting than the correct working of the effect.

Edit. Here I've made more videos on this...

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Len's anamorphic DOF effect 2 - by David Brinnen

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Len's anamorphic DOF effect 3 - by David Brinnen

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Len's anamorphic DOF effect 4 - by David Brinnen

Ana_test4e.jpg
    600 x 600 - 197K
    Ana_test4d.jpg
    600 x 600 - 175K
    Ana_test4b.jpg
    600 x 600 - 171K
    Ana_test4a.jpg
    600 x 600 - 165K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,357
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Hansmar I like your playful dragon. It will make a nice cover for a children’s book.

Timothybateman – both your renders using David’s latest tutorial are looking good. Thanks for sharing the gravel image.

David thanks for the new tutorials. Here are 2 island renders based on your The sea foam Easter Egg tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jAnm80rx6Q

seafoam1.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 133K
    seafoam.jpg
    600 x 600 - 36K
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Hansmar I like your playful dragon. It will make a nice cover for a children’s book.

Timothybateman – both your renders using David’s latest tutorial are looking good. Thanks for sharing the gravel image.

David thanks for the new tutorials. Here are 2 island renders based on your The sea foam Easter Egg tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jAnm80rx6Q

Well done Mermaid on getting the sea foam working, it has had be pulling my hair out many times, I always seem to induce a crash when I try anything adventurous like that. Don't even start me on displacement mapping!

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thank you. Love the floating city, and your results of David's tutorial.

@Horo: Thank you. And thank you for the information, though I believe I'll have to put it into action before I fully understand it.

@hansmar: Thanks. You really are getting some nice results from your initial terrain. Your latest is really neat.

@David: Another nice video.

@timothybateman: Nice results, especially the rings.

Before I spoke with fencepost, I had started my piggy bank using a sphere. But had to stop since I didn't know what direction to go next. Well, after working through fencepost's procedures I was able to complete another version of a piggy bank, using a sphere. The render doesn't employ any lighting other than the default sun with a slightly increased diffuse. And I made sure to really exaggerate the eyes when shell extruding in the hope Bryce would now see two separate eyes. Which it did.

Sphere_made_Piggy_Bank_Garnet_Twins.png
    1080 x 810 - 760K
    Sphere_made_Piggy_Bank_Pink_Layers_3.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Sphere_made_Piggy_Bank_Garnet.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884
    edited December 1969

dana365 said:
    Horo:

hansmar:
    cool concept I really like the geometry in the buildings.
    If I am not mistaken , it sounds like you paint scenes as well, if so, have you posted images of your work some where on the net?

Thanks. Indeed. I do paint. However, not many realistic scenes anymore. Quite some of my paintings are on Deviantart.com, where people know me as Hansmar ;) (I tend not to be original in coming up with names!)

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884
    edited December 1969

@David: also still not convinced by your effect. But nice way to use the tools!

@timothybateman: Same as for David's original; sorry, but I only see 'out of focus' ground, which is not very convincing for such a (apparently) small ball.
    It does appear to work better for the wedding rings!

@Horo: thanks. I love tutorials (but don't always take sufficient time to follow along).

@mermaid010: Many thanks. Not the first time that someone thinks my renders would do good on a children's book. Maybe I should find someone to write one to go with the render!
    I like your seafoam examples, specifically the second one. I have not dared to go to this yet.

@GussNemo: thanks too. Your middle rendered piggy should only accept psychedelic money!

Re my terrain: I am working on versions with some lenses on the camera (not the professional versions of Horo, but my own attempts). Might be posting some for comparison in a couple of days.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

@timothybateman - gravel and ring look great. David is, of course, right about taking the photographs on an overcast day. An alternative is to find a patch in the shadow. In my experience, indoor is more problematic because you often have some directional light from a window and using artificial light is usually worse. What you need is omnidirectional light so there are absolutely no shadows.

thank you for the advice, it's definitely given me something to think about for my future projects. :)

edited December 1969

@hansmar: Thank you. Yeah, that middle piggy was a bit tipsy when paint was applied. It kept going around in circles while staring at the over head lights, saying "Ooooo, prrrreeetttyyy."

edited December 1969

A little something that might prove useful some day.

Bryce Made Easy - Get control of your HDRI backdrop - by David Brinnen

HDRI_squash2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 176K
    HDRI_squash.jpg
    600 x 600 - 177K
    edited December 1969

Thanks David, I had a few of them crashes too because I kept forgetting to change priority to low.

Guss- Thanks, the piggy banks look nice.

Hansmar – Thanks, I need to check out your Deviantart.com. I’ve been visiting there but never realized you had an account there too. Looking forward to your terrain renders.

I find David’s tutorial interesting and enjoy doing them despite the lack of understanding. Here’s my take on the first of the Len’s anamorphic DOF effect. Maybe the latest tutorial Bryce Made Easy - Get control of your HDRI backdrop - by David Brinnen will help me sort the lighting for my last entry for this month’s challenge. Thanks David for all your tutorials.

anamorphiclens-ex.jpg
    800 x 400 - 84K
    edited December 1969

Thanks David, I had a few of them crashes too because I kept forgetting to change priority to low.

Guss- Thanks, the piggy banks look nice.

Hansmar – Thanks, I need to check out your Deviantart.com. I’ve been visiting there but never realized you had an account there too. Looking forward to your terrain renders.

I find David’s tutorial interesting and enjoy doing them despite the lack of understanding. Here’s my take on the first of the Len’s anamorphic DOF effect. Maybe the latest tutorial Bryce Made Easy - Get control of your HDRI backdrop - by David Brinnen will help me sort the lighting for my last entry for this month’s challenge. Thanks David for all your tutorials.

Ah ha! Well done, now, the question is, which do you like best? I've been struggling with this effect because unlike Len, I don't seem to be strongly affected by it. He loves this vertically stretched anamorphic bokeh, but for me, while I see it, my feeling is that it is an effect which, like lens flare and vignetting, is something that if the lens manufacturers could avoid, they would have avoided. So it is, if you like, a fault. Now depending on your taste, you may like this alot or not. So I'm curious now, do you like it?

edited December 1969

I’m not affected by these effects either David. I don’t think I will use them in my work. If I need DOF I’ll go for the plain and simple one found under the premiums. I want to try the other tutorials maybe with a landscape to see the difference. My main problem is I don’t really understand the concept but I really enjoy doing your tutorials. :)

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

How times change.
    Remember the good old days, when thieves used to leave cars on bricks and just pinch the wheels.
    :)

How_things_change.jpg
    800 x 400 - 220K
    edited December 1969

hansmar said:
    @timothybateman: Same as for David's original; sorry, but I only see 'out of focus' ground, which is not very convincing for such a (apparently) small ball.
    It does appear to work better for the wedding rings!

i was not trying to get the same affect as david was, i was just showing my results from using crazybump to generate a height map ...just in case you were not sure! :)

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - foam Easter Egg islands look good.

@GussNemo - more piggy banks, I see. BNow you've got to fill'em up.

@hansmar - thank you. Got to check Deviantart sometime. I've always found it very difficult to navigate. Renderosity is a bit better and I've seen you there.

@StuartB4 - cool idea and nicely done.

edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    How times change.
    Remember the good old days, when thieves used to leave cars on bricks and just pinch the wheels.
    :)

I'm a bit worried now, those look like my alloys!

Interesting backdrop, what is it?

Good render.

Myalloys.jpg
    344 x 325 - 69K
    edited December 1969

A new video from Horo.

And an image I made using the technique of stacking terrains.

Bryce 7.1 Pro tutorial - Stacked Terrains - by Horo

Stacked_terrains1.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 716K
    edited December 1969

@David.

I’m a bit worried now, those look like my alloys!

Good render.

Thanks David.
    I see what you mean about the wheels. :)

The backdrop is one I've used a few times now, It's called 30_antwerp_station_tracks.hdr

@Horo - Thanks very much.

edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    @David.
    I’m a bit worried now, those look like my alloys!

Good render.

Thanks David.
    I see what you mean about the wheels. :)

The backdrop is one I've used a few times now, It's called 30_antwerp_station_tracks.hdr

@Horo - Thanks very much.

What car did the wheels come off? That's the question.

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited June 2014

timothybateman:
    thanks for the second example of CrazyBump's capabilities
    re good lighting: Another photographic trick that might work if your not going to have overcast skys, depending where you are, photos taken in the early morning, timed right, can have a very diffused light. it changes fast, so you might need a bunch of takes as time goes on to get the ideal light.

GussNemo:
    the newest piggies are great, I thought at first the eyes might be L.E.D's which would make for a pretty cool piggy bank.

StuartB4:
    nice job on the tires and rims.

Hansmar:
    Wow , thank you for sharing your works, Love your abstract paintings the most but they are all wonderful.
    I didn't know that you are photographer as well; the quality you get in your photos, is only more out done by the subject matter.

Horo:
    great terrain stacking video, thank you

David:
    I have been watching the uv mapping videos,while my machines are busy and loving them, cant wait to get on it.

Post edited by dana365 on
    edited December 1969

@dana365 - Thankyou, but really I just removed the car.

@David. - Don't worry, they came off this one.

Car.jpg
    730 x 267 - 78K
    edited December 1969

@David - great example. Thank you for hosting this video.

For those prefering it written, you can find the transcript on my website (see sig): Bryce Documents > Videos > Horo > More Videos, 20 Stacking Terrains or directly by clicking on this link: Transcript Stacking Terrains.

@Stuart - great car render. I still have a beautiful car I purchased here a while ago but haven't found the time to replace the materials.

edited December 1969

@ horo

it's a great tutorial, thanks for sharing :) ...something i must try for myself!

edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    @dana365 - Thankyou, but really I just removed the car.

@David. - Don't worry, they came off this one.

Phew! That's not my car.

OK I've had a few hours trying to build lenses to produce anamorphic distortion. This is the only thing that seems even close to acceptable. The lens is just a sphere positioned on the camera, the distortions come from using sin based bump in the material of the lens applied to the sphere.

I also did manage to unlock the camera so it could be re-scaled, but unfortunately that did not do anything to the rendered image, it would have been useful if it had scaled the image to fit the distorted camera but it is just a place holder it seems. And neither was the DOF dithering affected by the rescale. After rescaling the wireframe is distorted. Which at first filled me with hope. But the render remains the same, you can see in the overlay that the wireframe no longer matches the render. So a bug not a feature. Oh well...

Wireframe_no_longer_fits_view._.jpg
    682 x 650 - 62K
    Rescaled_camera.jpg
    918 x 766 - 325K
    Lens_testing1.jpg
    1600 x 600 - 292K
    edited December 1969

@ david, it really seem's to be a tricky subject that one! ...the terrain pic looks really nice though :)

edited December 1969

@David: I've watched the first two of your latest videos, others will be watched as time permits. Right now I'm of the same mind as mermaid, I'll use the simple method of setting the DOF. Your latest terrain is marvelous.

@mermiad: Thanks. Nice results following David's tutorial.

@Stuart: Since there isn't much rubber on those tires, it's no wonder they took only the car. Nice work.

@Horo: Yes, another piggy bank. It was the first one I tried before fencepost's instructions. Thought I'd finish it now that I knew which direction to go. That stacked terrain video is terrific. It's something I can use with my latest terrain project.

@dana: Thank you. I hadn't given the LED idea a thought, but it might be neat to try it to see how it effects the overall look.

edited December 1969
    Blurred_reflections1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 340K
    edited December 1969

wow! that looks amazing! .... :)

This discussion has been closed.