Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited September 2014

A nice material, i think its from David.

Cube1.jpg
    500 x 500 - 176K
    Post edited by Roland4 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,541
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - thank you. You came up with very nice shapes.

@Dave - that's exactly why I haven't got a piggy bank. Doesn't make sense if it is empty and only there to accumulate dust. The fully functioning intergalactic high magnetic thermo-quantum plasma generator looks cool.

@David - that shape looks like being made of ventilator blade. Like it a lot.

Experimented a bit with that beautiful Imortal Elegance car by Elele and the 1936 AM Sedan from DAZ 3D earlier this month and put them into the garage - which is an HDRI. The second shot has the camera in the car. I shied away using soft IBL shadows because of the time involved. Nevertheless, I could surprise my former manager with prints when I visited the place and told him I just shot the photos half an hour ago. He's a collector of old cars and sometimes they were actually there. He went down to the garage to check and was disappointed.

TwoCars2.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 143K
    TwoCars1.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 116K
    edited September 2014

@Horo

David has inspired me. But I will definitely not so good as David.

Art13.jpg
    500 x 500 - 198K
    Art7.jpg
    500 x 500 - 162K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

The cars fit in remarkably well Horo.

And Roland, so long as you are making things and rendering things, that's all there is to it. It is in the doing that all the work is done I reckon. Theory is all very well, but it can only take you so far.

I set my own goals
    Wings 3D one minute model - ported cube - by David Brinnen it's just a bit of fun. Can you see the model in the render? This was made using Horo's extra wide angle lens from the Lenses and Filters pack.

Speed_run_model1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 970K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@Art: Now why in the world does my name appear in parenthesis in your post? It's not like I've asked anything in the past. %-P What you created is really neat. Reminds me of several spools of wire that all got loose at the same time. And thanks for the heads-up on that ground material, my store credit came in handy.

It's odd, but whenever I start typing something about tutorials, your name automatically inserts itself into the comment. Not sure how the computer knows to do it, but it does! :D Yes, those tiles are nice and they have a couple other series as well. Hope you get some use of them.

@Art - nice coil shape. If you keep the terrain at its default size of 81.92, the gap above and right is 0.16 BU. Once you have the tiles aligned, group them and enlarge as required. David has another method: once you have the tiles, select them all but do not group, then slightly enlarge, group and scale as appropriate.

Thanks, Horo. I'm gonna test your method this afternoon as it was David's version I used for my render. I'll let you know how it comes out. Very nice landscapes and shadow capture results with the cars!

Great work, everyone and thanks for the recent feedback on the Not-So-Tennis-Ball shape from David's tutorial.

@Roland4: nice modeling experiments!

@Mermaid: Great work on the shadow captures! The second one with the Klein bottle is my favorite. Love the HDRI experiment!

@Dangerlad: Welcome back. Nice models and render results. The first one is my fave!

@DaveSavage: I'm always impressed by everything you do. I like your boolean model. Like David, I would like to do more of it, but I think I lack the organization and patience to do it, and from what I can tell, you do a very nice job of it. A tutorial would be great! *hint hint*

@David: What can I say? Tutorials are very much appreciated. I like how you don't let a concept go and always push to see where tweaking this or that will take it.

Gonna work on a couple of tutorials today that I need to do before I forget the steps forever! It's not the coil one just yet, but a couple another "TopMod" style shape that a did a long time ago. I'll post the link when I get them uploaded.

Art

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Experimented a bit with that beautiful Imortal Elegance car by Elele and the 1936 AM Sedan from DAZ 3D earlier this month and put them into the garage - which is an HDRI. The second shot has the camera in the car. I shied away using soft IBL shadows because of the time involved. Nevertheless, I could surprise my former manager with prints when I visited the place and told him I just shot the photos half an hour ago. He's a collector of old cars and sometimes they were actually there. He went down to the garage to check and was disappointed.

ROFL Horo, that is evil, but I love it.

edited December 1969

@David: What can I say? Tutorials are very much appreciated. I like how you don't let a concept go and always push to see where tweaking this or that will take it.

Well... if you just want to listen to my aimless rambling, here's a taste of the kind of thing I amuse myself with off camera, most of what I do is just this stuff over and over again, hoping in the end that some nice shape will fall out of the process.

Wings 3D - playing with solids - by David Brinnen

edited December 1969

I'll head on over and watch it now. Still waiting for the "Brinnen's Bloopers" video. :D

edited December 1969

I'll head on over and watch it now. Still waiting for the "Brinnen's Bloopers" video. :D

You don't want that you really don't it would just be me swearing at verts for being in the wrong place, then swearing more because I've sworn and then even moreso because it means I'm going to have to do the video again.

edited December 1969

You don't want that you really don't it would just be me swearing at verts for being in the wrong place, then swearing more because I've sworn and then even moreso because it means I'm going to have to do the video again.

Probably better than some movies I've paid to watch. Plus, swearing with an English accent sounds much better than an American accent! Somebody get me the buttered popcorn, it's gonna get R-rated in here!

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 872
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64: :-D I guess, that happens, if you say "You will be exterminated"

@Horo: Nice story with the cars

@Roland4: Well done

@David: Thanks a lot for all this tutorials

edited December 1969

Probably better than some movies I've paid to watch. Plus, swearing with an English accent sounds much better than an American accent! Somebody get me the buttered popcorn, it's gonna get R-rated in here!

The worst film I ever paid to watch was "The Road", it was agonizingly boring, I'll tag line it for you if you've not see it - "111 minutes of your life you won't get back".

Alternatively watch 28 days later/28 weeks later. Much better, or 30 days of night. Or for a more SF twist, the Cube, the Descent or 1980 The Thing.

Wings 3D - playing with solids appendix - by David Brinnen

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Terrain image is great. Adding the two cars to the HDRI is marvelous, and the story amusing.

@mermaid: Gold image really nice.

@Dave: Both of those newer images are great, as expected.

@Roland: Shapes you're getting are really nice, as is the material you're choosing.

@David: Nice videos. The structure on the left side of that abstract looks like a coil winding. Color you used with that image is great.

@Art: Some day I hope to use those tiles, because there has been times they would really have worked well.

I finally gave David's not a tennis ball a try and except for a Wings setting problem, came up with the following. The first image shows the fun I was having trying out different materials. The second one is a close up of one that I really liked. It has an HDRI and material on the ground plane, and the combination gives the narrow striations. I like how it turned out. As usual, comments and suggestions gladly welcomed.

Inset_Cube_Sphere_10.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Multi_Inset_Spheres_13.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392
    edited September 2014

Horo –thanks. I did not get the shadows right in the 1st of my two images, and although the bowl seems to be floating, I sort of liked that image. We get some right and some just nice ;) Your latest renders the terrain and garage are awesome.

Roland – your Wings 3D objects are way too cool.

Dave – thanks and thanks for the link for the material … adding it to my Wish List

David – thanks once again for all the new videos. I’m playing with animation for a while and will definitely do them at a later. Love the abstract done with the Lens.

Guss – thanks. Great render of the not-a-tennis ball objects. I like the variation.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited September 2014

Thank you, but not all objects are modeling with Wings 3D. Most I model with Hexagon 2.5 and sometimes with Blender.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:

Thank you, but not all objects are modeling with Wings 3D. Most I model with Hexagon 2.5 and sometimes with Blender.

Its nice when you can use different programs. I only use Bryce and Wings. I only started using Wings 3d because of David's tutorials.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Haxgon is best for modeling, Blender has the most features, but is not stable and reliable. Wings 3D I do not have much knowledge and tutorials by David I can not look. It may be that I model a model with different programs. At the moment I am very inspired by David's models.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Halloween is closer than you think. :cheese:

Quite complex lighting and material set up to get this one.
    The background is from a series of photos I took of the full moon and night sky back in July, mapped into a 2D plane using a similar method as David demonstrated a few weeks ago in his space scenes.

VooDooGirl.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 287K
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64

Cool, i get really scared.

edited December 1969

@Roland4 - your "baseball" shape looks fine, the round one even better.

@David - thank you. Nice blue render - no I cannot recognise the shape.

@Pam - thank you. Yes, I can be a bit evil at times.

@electro-elvis - thank you.

@Jamie - thank you. Nice not-quite-tennis balls, I particularly like the second render.

@mermaid010 - thank you. I was sure you've noticed the apparently floating vase. It does look nice, I agree.

@Dave - great render and great idea with the backdrop. Fits perfectly.

I've also watched David's video Video wings_3d_making_better_geometry2 and even after replacing my Wings3D version 1.5.0 by the newest 1.5.3 one, it didn't work exactly the same for me as shown in the video. Nevertheless, I finally got the same result.

First render took half an hour, specularity, metallicity, transparency and reflection illuminate the cube, the sun provides the shadow, 50% soft. HDRI specularity from a Golden one, the ground plane was coloured with fog.

The second and third image have an identical setup. The camera is in the centre of the cube and looks to the zenith. With the GWL bolted on the camera and FOV at 170°, we see about 320°. A second cube is below and responsible for the shapes along the frame. The golden one gets the light from a Golden Lighting HDRI, the second from the Small World 2 one.

It's amazing how the HDRI changes the outcome of the render. I dawdled away the whole morning just experimenting with the HDRI backdrop. Luckily, each render only took 3 minutes.

CubeShape-SW2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 169K
    CubeShape-GSE.jpg
    800 x 800 - 171K
    CubeShape-OV.jpg
    800 x 800 - 106K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

i thought i would try a slightly more advanced model using bryce :) ...stonemason's modles have the detail in a model that i really like :) ....it's still a WIP, but i thought i would share :)

Abandoned_Factory.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 309K
    edited September 2014

Horo said:
    @Roland4 - your "baseball" shape looks fine, the round one even better.

Oh sorry, this should not be a baseball. I will probably still need to practice. I love your shapes.

@Tim Bateman

Wonderful.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 872
    edited September 2014

@Tim Bateman: Wow! Amazing!

@Horo: Nice object, Well done.

@TheSavage64: I am not a big fan of halloween. But that is a really nice picture, Sir!

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - he he, the "baseball" is probably due to the camera angle. It is round like a ball, isn't it?

@Tim Bateman - I'm also a great fan of Stonemason's buildings and I have Faded Industries already in a Bryce Objects Libray and loaded it several times but never had the right inspiration to use it for a project. Having the vegetation taking over is a neat idea.

Meanwhile, I'm still idling with those "wings_3d_making_better_geometry2" shapes. This time, I used an icosahedron instead of a cube and intruded/inset 0.5 at left and 0.6 at right. I used the Rainbow2 HDRI, with low light but high Specularity - which is boosted for the materials by a hyper texture. In this way, the light sources in the HDRI can be made visible and show here as high lights. Quality 128 rendered in less than 4 minutes.

Icosa0506.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 105K
    edited September 2014

Please do not say baseball, there is an oracle.

@GussNemo Your shapes are fantastic.

Art14.jpg
    500 x 500 - 142K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thank you.

@Dave: That's a wonderful image. Sky is beautiful.

@Horo: Thank you very much. Love the results for the first object, color of the first image is way nice. Looking from inside turns up more variations of color. Really nice results on those two. And your last two, gorgeous color and nice objects.

@Tim Bateman: If that's just a WIP it's really nice.

@Roland: Thanks. I really like your latest object, and the color you chose.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Roland: Thanks. I really like your latest object, and the color you chose.

There is a red light inside the sphere.

edited December 1969

@Roland4 - agreed, I neither say nor write it anymore. The ringed shape looks nice.

@Jamie - thank you.

Here's another try with the stacked Terraces terrain.

Terr-Hill.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 175K
    edited September 2014

@Horo

Thanks. What software you use to create the landscape / terrain ?

Art8ajpg.jpg
    500 x 500 - 98K
    Art8jpg.jpg
    500 x 500 - 133K
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - the flattened shapes look great.
    You asked before but I missed to reply, sorry. As a base for the terrains, I use WorldCreator (though I had fiddled with WorldMachine and GeoControl earlier). I generate the terrains at 8192, 4096 and 2048 size and export the height data as 32-bit floating point raw. I convert them to 96-bit RGB and process the terrains further. Finally, I downscale them and convert the pixel values to 16-bit unsigned integer with my own program. It takes about one working day to create one terrain that I can then put into the Bryce Objects Library.

This discussion has been closed.