Bluejaunte appreciation

Comments

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

One of the bonuses for me it that I just love the Bluejaunte smiles and they still work fine on GF 8.1.

• SolitarySandpiperSolitarySandpiper Posts: 468
    edited March 2021

I'm sure Bluejaunte said there was a new model on the way and it is now over due?

amira render.png
    800 x 800 - 472K
    Post edited by SolitarySandpiper on
  • SolitarySandpiperSolitarySandpiper Posts: 468
    edited March 2021

Some girls are bigger than others...

Amira in sweater and undies.png
    800 x 1294 - 1M
    Post edited by SolitarySandpiper on
  • jd641jd641 Posts: 428

SolitarySandpiper said:

I'm sure Bluejaunte said there was a new model on the way and it is now over due?

If blue's models weren't high quality then yeah it would be over due but his are some of the best DAZ has to offer. It takes time, so let's just let him do what he needs to do and patiently wait for the next figure.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,874
    edited March 2021
    Chani02sc03pic05.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 393K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

SolitarySandpiper said:

Some girls are bigger than others...

Interesting fit on that sweater.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Artini said:

Just Chani - https://www.daz3d.com/macey-and-chani-hd-with-hd-expression-for-genesis-8-female

Terrific render.  Macey and Chani are great characters, and the colours here are really good.  Really nice job with the hair, too.

edited March 2021

Thank you very much, Sevrin. Your comments and opinion mean a lot for me.

Post edited by Artini on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,022

Noemi's Senior Class Portrait

edited March 2021

Beautiful BJ Misha

MishaBeauty.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 299K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • JVRendererJVRenderer Posts: 661
    edited March 2021

A study of Hot n Cold lighting.
    Noami, the bosslady. Apparently droolworthy for Baxter or Baxter drools at anything.

BJ Naomi

BJ Naomi

Naomi.jpg
    3000 x 4000 - 3M
    Post edited by JVRenderer on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Honestly I don't see how 8.1 can improve the quality of these characters alone. Bluejaunte's gloss maps already provide the effect that the PBR Skin shader strives to do. The PBR Skin simply tiles these maps, which I think is not really the best way to go anyway. Tiling can do nice things and we have seen it with Victoria 8.1, but I believe that comes at the expense of the custom gloss maps which have an entire skin pattern on them. The new neck texture isn't a big deal either because many of bluejaunte's torso maps are already 8K in size. So the pixel density has been higher for a long time in his characters. I rather think that 8K+ textures are needed for these specific kinds of maps.

The main things that can be done for bluejaunte characters IMO would be better teeth. I think they are still just too perfect and white, and this stands out when contrasted with their imperfect skin. They need a bit of detail in them. I think the new 8.1 tear is pretty neat, as it can be used to blend in the lacrimal better than before. But like I also said this tear is super easy to convert to Genesis 8.0, barely an inconvenience. It took me like 60 seconds to do, at most, and I am slow. You just change the Scene ID on the 8.1 tear to 8.0, give it a funky name, and save it is a new prop for 8.0. Done. No high level Blender skills nor ninja magic required. And then there are the smiles, which bluejaunte creates custom HD morphs to do, so the rigging isn't even an issue. So I can't really think of anything that specifically makes 8.1 better. Most of the new features are simply new features of Daz Studio and Iray itself.

I do hope that whatever character is made has both the full classic 8.0 torso map, along with the neck texture. Then people can easily use the skin on 8.0 if they desire.

• A study of Hot n Cold lighting.
    Noami, the bosslady. Apparently droolworthy for Baxter or Baxter drools at anything.

BJ Naomi

BJ Naomi

Beautiful!
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

TJohn said:

Noemi's Senior Class Portrait

very nice render, other than for the pearls spoiling it.

edited March 2021
    SinaRelaxing.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 427K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

Good news, the next girl is submitted. Usually still a few weeks before anything is in the store but there you go smiley

As for Genesis 8.1, I like it but I also share some of the mixed feelings. I'm not fully using the new UV yet, or might never even, because the problem it fixes with the horrible change in texel density between face and skull is mostly negated by a new and almost as bad transition between skull and torso. Logically I just have to conclude that face to skull is usually hidden by hair, probably 99% of cases especially for females that just aren't rendered bald very often. It just doesn't seem to be worth it to waste VRAM for another set of 4k textures just to then have the same problem in an even more visible place. I do use the new eye UV though, that is just a no brainer.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate that the UV patches have varying texel densities. It makes my life so much harder. I was advocating for new UVs with completely unified patches. That would mean like 4 patches for the torso alone. It would be drastic and neither Daz nor (probably) the world is ready for that. But just to let you know I'm actually all for new UVs but go all in and fix everything.

As for morph compatibility, well this is a bit of a dumb issue. As I'm working on G8.1 and saving out morphs, they are saved out in G8.1 specific folders and format and then they aren't visible on older G8 figures. Seeing as the morph data is exactly the same I gotta say I'm a bit baffled by this move but it's probably because of conflicts with the new expressions. I can hack the .duf file of my G8.1 morphs and make them G8 morphs with some effort, could maybe create a script of sorts that does this automatically, but just the logistics of that would be highly annoying. For now I've left them as G8.1 morphs and we will see what happens. I mean it makes sense to just use G8.1 from now on so why bother right? With that alias folder remove hack that I saw mentioned around here you can even get the old expression dials back. Ultimately it likely makes more sense to hack that kind of stuff rather than to try and keep new morphs work on an outdated figure.

If you want to use the new material on a G8 that wouldn't work anyway because the new UV isn't available on it, not that I've seen at least. Or maybe this could be hacked again but just... why. Use G8.1 instead. Hack that to get everything working rather than going the other way. It's so backwards compatible, that's why it's 8.1 and not 9.

As a vendor, there's the issue of leaving behind customers who have not upgraded to 4.15 because of hardware, or have downgraded to a previous version because of bugs with the latest Iray, or whatever, and won't be able to load your characters.

bluejaunte said:

Good news, the next girl is submitted. Usually still a few weeks before anything is in the store but there you go smiley

As for Genesis 8.1, I like it but I also share some of the mixed feelings. I'm not fully using the new UV yet, or might never even, because the problem it fixes with the horrible change in texel density between face and skull is mostly negated by a new and almost as bad transition between skull and torso. Logically I just have to conclude that face to skull is usually hidden by hair, probably 99% of cases especially for females that just aren't rendered bald very often. It just doesn't seem to be worth it to waste VRAM for another set of 4k textures just to then have the same problem in an even more visible place. I do use the new eye UV though, that is just a no brainer.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate that the UV patches have varying texel densities. It makes my life so much harder. I was advocating for new UVs with completely unified patches. That would mean like 4 patches for the torso alone. It would be drastic and neither Daz nor (probably) the world is ready for that. But just to let you know I'm actually all for new UVs but go all in and fix everything.

As for morph compatibility, well this is a bit of a dumb issue. As I'm working on G8.1 and saving out morphs, they are saved out in G8.1 specific folders and format and then they aren't visible on older G8 figures. Seeing as the morph data is exactly the same I gotta say I'm a bit baffled by this move but it's probably because of conflicts with the new expressions. I can hack the .duf file of my G8.1 morphs and make them G8 morphs with some effort, could maybe create a script of sorts that does this automatically, but just the logistics of that would be highly annoying. For now I've left them as G8.1 morphs and we will see what happens. I mean it makes sense to just use G8.1 from now on so why bother right? With that alias folder remove hack that I saw mentioned around here you can even get the old expression dials back. Ultimately it likely makes more sense to hack that kind of stuff rather than to try and keep new morphs work on an outdated figure.

If you want to use the new material on a G8 that wouldn't work anyway because the new UV isn't available on it, not that I've seen at least. Or maybe this could be hacked again but just... why. Use G8.1 instead. Hack that to get everything working rather than going the other way. It's so backwards compatible, that's why it's 8.1 and not 9.

Very happy to know that your new creation will be ready to meet my computer at some point in the future.

Thanks a lot for the explaining, what's going on behind the scenes with Genesis 8.1.

Frankly speaking, Genesis 8.1 figures released so far, did not impressed me so much.

That's why I am waiting for your Genesis 8.1 girl with great expectation.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    edited March 2021
    Sevrin said:

As a vendor, there's the issue of leaving behind customers who have not upgraded to 4.15 because of hardware, or have downgraded to a previous version because of bugs with the latest Iray, or whatever, and won't be able to load your characters.

Yes but for PAs, some of them don't think like vendors. After all, they're Premier Artists, and think about the best or most convenient methods for creating their art. Oftentimes, customer convenience isn't something that springs to mind. As a customer, this important distinction is something to consider before $upporting.

Post edited by MimicMolly on

MimicMolly said:

Sevrin said:

Yes but for PAs, some of them don't think like vendors. After all, they're Premier Artists, and think about the best or most convenient methods for creating their art. Oftentimes, customer convenience isn't something that springs to mind. As a customer, this important distinction is something to consider before $upporting.

That was my point behind my comment. wink 

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

Sevrin said:

Honestly, if I did that I'd ignore the vast majority who do want the new stuff. Not to mention those few staying behind will usually come around and upgrade anyway at some point. I cannot succeed commercially if all I'm worried about is that every last customer out there can use my product at any given time. Remember the reluctance when G8 came around? Very quickly this was forgotten and no G3 figures came out anymore. G8.1 is a much smaller step than that as literally all the G8 morphs still work on it. If I can't go for such a minor upgrade with even the name suggesting that it's just a "point release", then I don't think I could ever again move on from G8.

Would certainly like to hear everyone's opinions on the matter though. At least making the morphs work on G8 is still an option. There's gonna be a new genital HD morph included with the next girl, one that works on the raw figure and doesn't need any geograft products, just for hassle-free quick and dirty results. Probably not for close-ups but looks pretty decent at like mid range. And this I converted to G8 after the fact because I figured people may wanna use this with earlier characters without having to switch them to G8.1.

• cajhincajhin Posts: 154

I'm really looking forward to it (hurry up DAZ), finally I can go explore 8.1 with a high quality 'true 8.1' figure. (base and V don't cut it for me, and the few other figures seem to be 8 with sprinkles of 8.1 on top).

As for compatibility, ask me again in a month, but for now I'm not interested. I have enough 8.0 figures, time for something new.

And thanks for your impressions, hands-on info like that is a bit scarce.

cajhin said:

I'm really looking forward to it (hurry up DAZ), finally I can go explore 8.1 with a high quality 'true 8.1' figure.

A "true 8.1" character would use the 8.1 UV.  I don't have a problem, either way, but since the 8.0 UV is being used, it might be worthwhile including both versions.  There are hundreds of products for both G3 and G8.  #justsaying

• I am pretty sure I will buy Blujaunte's 8.1 figure, I own many of his characters and I'm waiting for something different and detailed as he can do! Now I have plenty of models but he's one of the 3/4 model makers I am still disposed to buy. The 8.1 releases so far are looking too face-similar to Vic 8.1 (that I own from d1).....and she's still alone in my 8.1 room)

Yes, I made a big mistake and bought so many Genesis 8 Female charactes, that probably will never have time to use some of them at all.

Bluejaunte characters and some other Daz originals are exception to the crowd and I tend to use them more often.

Lesson learned and I will be very picky purchasing new Genesis 8.1 characters in the future.

• cajhincajhin Posts: 154
    edited March 2021

Sevrin said:

A "true 8.1" character would use the 8.1 UV.  [...]

Touche. Well let's say I'm looking for state of the art, the best 'we' can do with the new version. If bluejaunte thinks 8.0 UVs are better, not just lighter but better looking, bene (for me, the neck is not a problem area anyways).

Long term, I'm curious how this plays out, how the ecosystem will evolve. If both 8.0 and 8.1 co-exist, then 8.0=light texture option and 8.1=heavy option may have been better, like bluejaunte wrote.

Speaking of light/heavy, I'm happy to hear about a new light-weight anatomy option. Sure there are high detail variants elsewhere, but to me that's overkill most of the time, I just want to lose the unnatural "barbie look" quickly.

(and btw I'm still buying figures, but much prefer the ones I can recognize. The classic magazine frontpage beauties still lure me but tend to look too similar).

Post edited by cajhin on

I wouldn't worry too much.  A lot of PAs work on characters over weeks and months.  Some of the ones we're seeing started life as 8.0 characters, and to be fair, Daz gave a lot of people reason to be wary of 8.1, from the blocking expressions to sticking stuff into Powerpose that didn't belong there.

edited March 2021
    Sahel01sc04pic06.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 233K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited March 2021

Amazing Noemi - https://www.daz3d.com/noemi-hd--smile-hd-expression-for-genesis-8-female

I like this character a lot...

Noemi11pic01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 275K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited March 2021

... and one more - Noemi.

Noemi12pic14.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 443K
    Post edited by Artini on