Am I The Only One Who’s Ticked Off?

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    Characters for the older figures seem more raw to me, as time moved on they started becoming cookie cutter types and I thought it was just vendor preference.

In my opinion, it does have a lot to do with vendor preference. Some vendors simply gravitate to doing a lot of characters in similar styles so if they sell well it does affect how the market is viewed.
    I've noticed this as well. There are a few vendors I love, but will only buy their characters now if they are truly different (as in skins/materials). The rest of their characters all look like I can hear them singing 'We Are Family' (as in they all look like an incarnation of the previous).

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    ZamuelNow said:
    Characters for the older figures seem more raw to me, as time moved on they started becoming cookie cutter types and I thought it was just vendor preference.

In my opinion, it does have a lot to do with vendor preference. Some vendors simply gravitate to doing a lot of characters in similar styles so if they sell well it does affect how the market is viewed.

I've noticed this as well. There are a few vendors I love, but will only buy their characters now if they are truly different (as in skins/materials). The rest of their characters all look like I can hear them singing 'We Are Family' (as in they all look like an incarnation of the previous).

I see it with most vendors. I think it's a basic human habit -- that is, each of us finds certain traits (maybe some of us really like a narrow chin, or slightly slanted eyes, a very thin nose ridge, while others like plump lips, perhaps prominent cheekbones, or more or less angled jawlines) and we associate those shapes in our minds with beauty to the point that it's difficult to create a character that doesn't have at least some of our favorite traits. So you see the same set of features being repeated in a particular vendor's offerings.

I really like it when I find vendors who aren't so attached to their personal idea of beauty -- or to the idea of making everything beautiful. JoeQuick's "extraordinary women" for V4 and "extraordinary men" for M4 is just such an example. Every face looks very different from every other face. I bought them when they were for sale at Renderosity, and I use them (mixed and matched at variable levels) along with "brutes and bruisers" more often, probably, than the morph ++ head morphs.

Of course, if you find a vendor whose idea of attractiveness exactly matches your own -- and it can happen -- they've hit pay dirt because you'll empty your wallet for them. :) :)

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    I noticed that myself a number of years ago, which is precisely why I don't limit myself to 1 base figure anymore. I want a large variety of body shapes, ethnicites, sized etc - and you can't get that with only 1 base figure. Fortunately, it is really easy in Poser Pro 2014 to update & upgrade older figures. The ability to leverage older content has adjusted my buying habits as well. When your character count is in 4 figures, it's hard to justify buying a new one - especially if it looks similar to the last character.

Exactly! It was slightly easier with Genesis, because you have the ability to use Generation 4 skins and with GenX morphs, not to mention hairstyles and clothes or poses. It has more African characters, for instance, than Gen2F/Gen2M. Or Hawaiian. Or Arabian.

ZamuelNow said:

Yes. I don't want to say exact names, but a certain Rendo vendor whose nick is five letters long and begins with S makes nearly exact morphs now... That is sad, because the abilities are, probably just kind of... stagnation?

That is why I adore Raiya's sets - they are photorealistic, but don't look so alike. Most of my men are from her (the second place taken by Valea's Summer Edition Josh and Cesar, the third is FWArt, I think, those Gen2M guys are very nice). It is good to see a vendor has some real diversity. For children, I am enchanted by Thorne sets (they're so distinctive), whereas apart from those people, a few of P3D's girls are wonderful (it's difficult to say only a few, perhaps Leia and Taura - I use her very frequently for a friend's OC's renders).

I see it with most vendors. I think it's a basic human habit -- that is, each of us finds certain traits (maybe some of us really like a narrow chin, or slightly slanted eyes, a very thin nose ridge, while others like plump lips, perhaps prominent cheekbones, or more or less angled jawlines) and we associate those shapes in our minds with beauty to the point that it's difficult to create a character that doesn't have at least some of our favorite traits. So you see the same set of features being repeated in a particular vendor's offerings.

I really like it when I find vendors who aren't so attached to their personal idea of beauty -- or to the idea of making everything beautiful. JoeQuick's "extraordinary women" for V4 and "extraordinary men" for M4 is just such an example. Every face looks very different from every other face. I bought them when they were for sale at Renderosity, and I use them (mixed and matched at variable levels) along with "brutes and bruisers" more often, probably, than the morph ++ head morphs.

Of course, if you find a vendor whose idea of attractiveness exactly matches your own -- and it can happen -- they've hit pay dirt because you'll empty your wallet for them. :) :)

It also applies to skins. Raiya and Valea make photorealistic skins that really differ from each other. Sadly, a lot of vendors tend to go for shiny lipstick ones now, I have no idea why. Perhaps it sells.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

I never liked V4. Genesis is ok. G2F is nice. Im liking her a little more then V4 and Genesis. But no one is supporting Aiko 3 anymore and she is still my figure of choice. So I am going to stick with Aiko3 and not bother buying anything for another figure unless I really like it and considering that my A3 clothes collection still out numbers all the others put together, well you get the picture!

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    I never liked V4. Genesis is ok. G2F is nice. Im liking her a little more then V4 and Genesis. But no one is supporting Aiko 3 anymore and she is still my figure of choice. So I am going to stick with Aiko3 and not bother buying anything for another figure unless I really like it and considering that my A3 clothes collection still out numbers all the others put together, well you get the picture!

I adore A3 Realistic's looks as well as Thorne morphs based off her. That is why she's the first after Thorne's V4 and K4 sets I want to transfer onto Genesis via GenX. She's got such a sweet innocent face. Gen2F loses out by not having her as one of the morphs.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    Well as a Poser user I have had nothing but horrible luck with the DSON importer and after several attempts and less than satisfactory results I have resigned myself to staying with V4. But since DAZ has seen fit to abandon her I have been relegated to using my existing stockpile of Gen 4 figures and clothing. Even now most vehicles and set that have poses included have Genesis and M4 and not V4. If that doesn't qualify me as ticked off I am not sure what does.

DSON does tend to be hit-or-miss for Poser users. I have it working as a native figure - that is just the first step. The issue for me is content. Most of the clothing content for genesis 1 doesn't come with Poser Companion Files & the vendors I have spoken to have no interest in making them. I haven't had success in making PCFs for the clothing in DS that I have purchased here (or elsewhere for that matter), so for me, I'll only be using genesis with Dariofish's HFS shapes & working the fitting room. Vendors loss, not mine.

As far as Gen4 content, DAZ vendors may have abandoned them, but none of the other storefronts have.

http://www.daz3d.com/clothing-accessories?compat_figures=28&compat_software=823

Where exactly are you looking? There's over 200 clothing items here that work with the DSON importer.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,191
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Well you certainly have it worse than I do Matty ... I guess I shouldn't feel so bad.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,191
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    Well as a Poser user I have had nothing but horrible luck with the DSON importer and after several attempts and less than satisfactory results I have resigned myself to staying with V4. But since DAZ has seen fit to abandon her I have been relegated to using my existing stockpile of Gen 4 figures and clothing. Even now most vehicles and set that have poses included have Genesis and M4 and not V4. If that doesn't qualify me as ticked off I am not sure what does.

DSON does tend to be hit-or-miss for Poser users. I have it working as a native figure - that is just the first step. The issue for me is content. Most of the clothing content for genesis 1 doesn't come with Poser Companion Files & the vendors I have spoken to have no interest in making them. I haven't had success in making PCFs for the clothing in DS that I have purchased here (or elsewhere for that matter), so for me, I'll only be using genesis with Dariofish's HFS shapes & working the fitting room. Vendors loss, not mine.

As far as Gen4 content, DAZ vendors may have abandoned them, but none of the other storefronts have.

At this point I am not even interested in using Genesis or the G2 platform. I can understand that the characters and clothing for these to base figures would need PCF's but what I don't understand is why DAZ has started selling backgrounds sets that are DS only? Whether it is their intention or not that is kind of a loud proclamation that they are not all that interested in the producing items that are useable to Poser users. It used to be that items had to work in both programs, but now it seems to have changed.

edited May 2014

ssgbryan said:

At this point I am not even interested in using Genesis or the G2 platform. I can understand that the characters and clothing for these to base figures would need PCF's but what I don't understand is why DAZ has started selling backgrounds sets that are DS only? Whether it is their intention or not that is kind of a loud proclamation that they are not all that interested in the producing items that are useable to Poser users. It used to be that items had to work in both programs, but now it seems to have changed.
    IIRC everything Daz sells now are all contract buyouts. They can't sell what isn't being made.

The problem with dual-compatibility though is that all Poser users have access to Daz Studio since it's free, but not all Daz Studio users have access to Poser because it isn't. Some may not want to partner up with a user of the other program, and some just may not give a damn. lol

Mind you, I use Poser more than Daz Studio, and until Outoftouch's Fiends line I never even touched G2F (still don't use G2M), and I leave Genesis for animals/beasties now. Gen4 and other figures are my go-tos.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,844
    edited May 2014

but what I don't understand is why DAZ has started selling backgrounds sets that are DS only? Whether it is their intention or not that is kind of a loud proclamation that they are not all that interested in the producing items that are useable to Poser users. It used to be that items had to work in both programs, but now it seems to have changed.

On this one point, you have always been allowed to do DS or Poser Only packs. Each PA can choose one or the other or both. As Vaskania mentioned, DAZ Originals are items bought from PAs so as such DAZ3D isn't choosing which app to support. The PA does that when they make the set. DAZ is just choosing to buy it or not buy it. If the PA who made it doesn't own or can't afford Poser, they would have no way to make it for Poser while DS Pro is free (or at least has been for a fairly long while now) so everyone has access to that. It is why you see more DS Only packs than you do Poser Only. One has an overhead cost investment to make content for and the other one does not.

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,844
    edited December 1969

Also of additional note, a fair few newer PAs came in to DAZ when DS Pro (for making content) was free so learned, liked, and kept using that app which also has something to do with why you see a fair bit of DS Only items in general.

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited December 1969

but what I don't understand is why DAZ has started selling backgrounds sets that are DS only? Whether it is their intention or not that is kind of a loud proclamation that they are not all that interested in the producing items that are useable to Poser users. It used to be that items had to work in both programs, but now it seems to have changed.

On this one point, you have always been allowed to do DS or Poser Only packs. Each PA can choose one or the other or both. As Vaskania mentioned, DAZ Originals are items bought from PAs so as such DAZ3D isn't choosing which app to support. The PA does that when they make the set. DAZ is just choosing to buy it or not buy it. If the PA who made it doesn't own or can't afford Poser, they would have no way to make it for Poser while DS Pro is free (or at least has been for a fairly long while now) so everyone has access to that. It is why you see more DS Only packs than you do Poser Only. One has an overhead cost investment to make content for and the other one does not.

That's a very fair point.

As a Poser user, I admit that I'm hesitant to buy a product that lacks PC files because the product may not work at all (so far, the ones I've tried do, but I keep *hearing* about ones that don't). So if a vendor CAN make those files, I really, really appreciate it when they do.

OTOH, Daz still has the most flexible refund policy. I assume that if you buy something which lacks PC files, and you attempt to make them and fail, you can request a refund with some confidence that you'll get it.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,124
    edited December 1969

I am ticked off this burger is so big.

Oh not that kind of ticked off? Just a couple more bites then it is bed time.

I was ticked off that they separated the gender for genesis 2 but I can figure out how to make hermaphrodite characters with genX 2 help.

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

I suppose I'm teed off for different reasons.

I do feel they still support g1, and I still frankly prefer g1. But I own g2 and my problem is the low amount of high quality products not only for g1 and g2 males, but also the low number of products that give me flexibility, and that's the most important thing to me. I primarily look for products that I can use to make a cast of thousands or is versatile enough to become any outfit I need. The bodysuit used to be such a vital tool for me, for example. The latest "supersuit" is too specific in so many ways, I have a very hard time turning it into anything useful. So I have to autofit or otherwise trick old products onto new figures and its always an issue.

I'd be happier with DAZ if I started seeing a return to versatility, a greater standard of quality, better products for males, and less slutwear. -I'm tired of seeing it and having the argument someone is sure to raise. But this can't be argued with; 2 years ago I spent well over a thousand dollars on March madness. This yes? about 100 bucks. I have the cash to blow -will you sell me what I want to buy?

edited December 1969

I do feel they still support g1, and I still frankly prefer g1. But I own g2 and my problem is the low amount of high quality products not only for g1 and g2 males, but also the low number of products that give me flexibility, and that's the most important thing to me. I primarily look for products that I can use to make a cast of thousands or is versatile enough to become any outfit I need. The bodysuit used to be such a vital tool for me, for example. The latest "supersuit" is too specific in so many ways, I have a very hard time turning it into anything useful. So I have to autofit or otherwise trick old products onto new figures and its always an issue.

I'd be happier with DAZ if I started seeing a return to versatility, a greater standard of quality, better products for males, and less slutwear. -I'm tired of seeing it and having the argument someone is sure to raise. But this can't be argued with; 2 years ago I spent well over a thousand dollars on March madness. This yes? about 100 bucks. I have the cash to blow -will you sell me what I want to buy?

They did bring back the fantasy collars, masks, and MFD + expansions for G2F/G2F (I don't know what an MFD equivalent would be for males around here).

Regarding the supersuit, there's also a basic suit in the package, but it lacks anything around the head (although I think maybe using Smay's suits for G2 would be better if using the G2 figures at all). I think 3DWizard was working on one as well.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I like very versatile sets myself just for the very reasons you do. Have you seen this one for G2F? http://www.daz3d.com/super-dress-and-leggings-for-genesis-2-female-s I find it very useful.
  • robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    They did bring back the fantasy collars, masks, and MFD + expansions for G2F/G2F (I don't know what an MFD equivalent would be for males around here).

There are male characters for Daz Studio? :cheese:

I suspect a "morphing suit" with the capability to morph from business two-piece suit to tuxedo would be the male equivalent, although I doubt one exists.

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:

There has been a general narrowing of focus by the remaining vendors. As an observation, the Gen3 figures had a greater variety of content made for them compared to the Gen4 figures and that trend has continued to accelerate with the release of g1 & g2.

Over the past decade, customers have had extended conversations with the vendors about clothing in both here and at other storefronts. The feedback I got was that with vendors, it's all about their creative vision - not ours. This set up a positive feedback loop that got us where we are today.

My solution was not to limit myself to 1 base figure - this gives me a wider variety of both characters and clothing.

Vendors generally get paid when they make the thing the people want. So what you see is what the people want; it's simple supply and demand. If what you want falls outside what everyone wants, then you have to learn to make it yourself. That's how I got started.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,928
    edited December 1969

Vendors generally get paid when they make the thing the people want. So what you see is what the people want; it's simple supply and demand. If what you want falls outside what everyone wants, then you have to learn to make it yourself. That's how I got started.

I was working on a post saying the same thing, but it's always better to hear from someone on the inside. There's no doubt that the kind of stuff that DAZ mainly sells these days is what the customer base is buying, and if a PA or DAZ can make more money by taking last month's dress and popping six more holes in it, I can't argue with the financial logic. Of course, what it's done in my case is driven a huge portion of my spending over to Renderosity to fill the voids that DAZ isn't filling, and that's something that DAZ's bean counters can't see and account for on their abacuses.

All that said, one does have to remember that Genesis isn't 3 years old yet, while G2F hasn't reached the one year mark, so it's a bit unfair to compare either of those ecosystems to Gen 4, which has now been around for 7 and a half years. Especially when Genesis allows you to go back and use the previous two gens worth of product at the push of a button, something that certainly tends to cannibalize the sales of new versions of the same thing, and the fact that V3 was introduced in 2003 and V4 came out at the tail end of 2006 sets a fairly comparable precedent in terms of changeover time.

No, while I share the pain concerning the kind of content being produced, my biggest grudge with DAZ these days is that while they've drastically increased the capability of DAZ Studio, the official documentation for how to do all those things has been vague, out of date or simply non-existent. And the only source of info that there was, the old forum archives, appears to be permanently gone as well. It's just incredibly unprofessional and makes it hard to believe that DAZ has any real vision of where they're going.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,314
    edited December 1969

I'm not teed off, but I'd be lying if I said I was as excited about what I see in the stores compared to the past.

The way I see it, Daz doesn't owe me anything. They provide a product and it's my choice to buy or not to buy. I've never had any technical issues with Daz products - they've always worked as advertised. Daz is a business and want to make a profit. They focus on product that sells. Published artists are artists and they create things that inspire them and feel are worth their time. If it's not something I want, I don't buy it.

Eventually, I'll devote enough time to learning how to create models and clothing for myself so I can have exactly what I want.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/clothing-accessories?compat_figures=28&compat_software=823

Where exactly are you looking? There's over 200 clothing items here that work with the DSON importer.

Interestingly enough, all of my G2 products work perfectly in Poser but none of them are on that list. >.<</p>

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,698
    edited December 1969

Every now and again this topic pops up.
    I have seen vendors pulling out an item after a few days simply because it wasn't selling well enough, and no, I will not name them :)
    I think Male-M3dia hit the nail on the head with what he said, it is simply a case of supply and demand.
    Also, and please don't get me wrong here, but I feel that the forum isn't 100% representable of the major part of buyers out there.
    I believe the majority of the buyers are using the content for erotica use, male or female figures. (I admit to be guilty to that as well).
    So a good portion of the content is aimed at this.

Aside from that, I don't feel at all that DAZ is abandoning any figure so far because for me there is still more content that I'd love to have, but that my budget can't buy, my wishlist is still long ;)
    I have started making content as well because as a minority, I work mainly with male figures but I am aware that the market for male content is tiny in comparison to the females.
    I have even heard of 3D stores turning down male content because "people simply won't buy it".

edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Every now and again this topic pops up.
    I have seen vendors pulling out an item after a few days simply because it wasn't selling well enough, and no, I will not name them :)

LOL, and for those that keep asking: No, you will never see that character again. Especially after the character released in the Gianni pack, people will just simply use that one. Happened with Tyrese when the M5 pack came out (and some people bought it and returned it just to get the gens because the other character didn't have any... thanks!) Yeah, I'm not motivated right now.

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:

If these had PCFs, I could use the David 5 & Steph 5 figures I have already bought - yours btw, you were pretty much the only person who built characters for them.

The steph 5 stuff sold well, the David 5 morphs I was warned about getting low sales. I pretty much put a lot of stuff in that set since genesis 2 had rolled out so probably there wouldn't be another set. And yep those sales were LOW. Not Wynn Low, but low enough to switch over to Genesis 2, and every Gen 2 set has outsold my Genesis 1 stuff. My lowest seller in Genesis 2 was the Rayne morphs, which are ethnic morphs.

The problem is that a lot of what I have bought isn't in that collection of stuff. I bought a number of bundles & most of the clothing doesn't come with PCFs.

Things like:
    Defiant for Genesis - Kinda need this for my Star Trek Aliens - See the Star Trek thread

Fantasy Wrap for Genesis; Roxana Yaroslavna, Vampire Lady For Genesis; Marauders; Fantasy Wrap for Genesis; Cool Sports for Genesis; Lily Nymph for Genesis; Summer Casuals Fitted Sundress

Then there are shoes:
    Grace Pumps 2; Sandals; Grace Pumps; Sexy Platform Sandals; Sport-Trainer Shoe Pack for Genesis; Cuban Diabolo for Genesis; SciFi Boots Male for Genesis; SciFi Boots Female for Genesis

The money I spent on these I might have well put in a pile and lit it on fire.

I think earlier you mentioned wanting "regular" clothing, but these are fantasy items. ;)

Also a lot of what you mentioned were made pre-DSON so they would only work in DS because of reasons that were hashed many times before but won't get into now. ;) Some of these items may work if you save them back into DSON format then create Poser companion files for them, but would require a little time in DS. Shouldn't take a few minutes to just load them then save them back.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

I just might be a weird case since I tend to evaluate based off of need. I hate it when I see a set that I think looks great but looks similar to something I already have. It puts my "vote with your dollars" mentality at odds. Granted, sometimes vendors will outright reuse some things from merchant resources so it just may be the same thing you already have. That's my issue. It's bad when a lot of stuff from the same vendor is guilty of sameface. It's vastly worse when that happens across multiple vendors.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I haven't purchased that much recently as it's mostly sexy and skimpy, which I don't want.

That's why I decided to learn to make my own everyday clothing which I have as freebie on ShareCG.

I was very surprised at how popular they have become.

I wonder how many of my things would sell if they were in the Daz store?:-)