The Wakeful Brain Complaint Thread

Comments

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Somehow, Finnish weather has managed a paradox.

It is at the same time...
    ...way too hot.
    ...way too humid.
    ...and way too cool.

Wait, WTF? It doesn't make any sense.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

ACaveBear007.jpg
    800 x 335 - 24K
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited December 1969

This is news to me, but maybe you were already aware that Arndt von Koenigsmarck has been hired by MAXON as their Lead Trainer and his VReel-3D website www.vreel-3d.de has been shut down. This is good news for Cinema 4D users because his contributions will most certainly have a positive impact on the product. There is a link posted at the old website that points to his new personal website

:O
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

is one of those days to reevaluate my life and decide what i want from whats left of it.

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Today, how shall I put it? SUCKS.

I've spent the past 4 hours *trying* to assemble the new machine, and I've had to give up. I'm gong to sell the parts I haven't broken on Craigslist, and just deal with having to spend $$$$$ on a decent 3D-capable laptop. So far today, I've:

- Broken the SATA connector on the motherboard
    - Dropped and lost 6 tiny screws, one into the power supply
    - Bent the chassis trying to get said screws out
    - Dropped the DVD drive six (!!) times
    - Cut 3 fingers AND my palm
    - Recalled how to curse in Thai (my Dad taught me)
    - Literally screamed in frustration
    - Almost threw things across the room (several times)

..so, being old and wise, I know when to admit defeat. It's been 7 years since I've built a machine and my manual dexterity isn't up to constructing a small form-factor machine from parts. Thankfully the CPU and RAM are both unopened, I should be able to get a little bit of cash back on those.. and I'm keeping the high-power wireless USB LAN device as a backup. The 2.5in HD is OK, and I'll be using it to replace the HDD in the Asus laptop once I have a replacement machine (and I'll use my Win 7 Pro DVD to install on it).

Getting old sucks. Oh well, at least I can still write, program, and perform music! I should be happy with that.

*depressed*

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Do you know any local nerds who might want to earn 20 bucks or something like that to slap it together for you?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited December 1969

I've spent the past 4 hours *trying* to assemble the new machine, and I've had to give up. I'm gong to sell the parts I haven't broken on Craigslist, and just deal with having to spend $$$$$ on a decent 3D-capable laptop. So far today, I've:

..so, being old and wise, I know when to admit defeat. It's been 7 years since I've built a machine and my manual dexterity isn't up to constructing a small form-factor machine from parts. Thankfully the CPU and RAM are both unopened, I should be able to get a little bit of cash back on those.. and I'm keeping the high-power wireless USB LAN device as a backup. The 2.5in HD is OK, and I'll be using it to replace the HDD in the Asus laptop once I have a replacement machine (and I'll use my Win 7 Pro DVD to install on it).

Getting old sucks. Oh well, at least I can still write, program, and perform music! I should be happy with that.

*depressed*

Now that's what I call a bad day.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

*depressed*

I know all about this one Wooly. I used to build my own "Franken Boxes" back in the day. Due to my Arthur I Just order machines now that are built to my Spec's. Many places will do this now. Hope you get your money back soon. Please list the Ram's spec's I might want that myself.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Do you know any local nerds who might want to earn 20 bucks or something like that to slap it together for you?

Well, if I hadn't broken the motherboard beyond repair, maybe it would work - but I did a real number on the SATA connectors, and I have no idea where the screw ended up in the power supply.

It's wisest to cut my losses and get what I can back on what I have. I really don't want to see the thing again as long as I live.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

*depressed*

Now that's what I call a bad day.

Well, I knew in the back of my mind it was possible it was too delicate a task for me at this point. It's part of the reason I've been putting it off, because I really didn't want to find out that another part of my life has dropped off the radar forever.

But, I can sell the bits that are left, I have budget for another laptop anyway, and it's not like I'm doing animation, so a decent i7 quad will likely do more than fine.

It was a calculated risk - this time I lost. Eh. Could be worse.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

*depressed*

I know all about this one Wooly. I used to build my own "Franken Boxes" back in the day. Due to my Arthur I Just order machines now that are built to my Spec's. Many places will do this now. Hope you get your money back soon. Please list the Ram's spec's I might want that myself.

If I ever get the need for something really serious, I know a fella here that makes computers for the local game companies - not cheap, but you get the best AND support.

The RAM is G-Skill 8GB x 2 DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

@Woolyloach: Ouch and double ouch! That really sucks big-time.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited December 1969

...arggghh and {{{{{hugs}}}}.

I was about in the same boat when an old friend passed through the area who helped me get most of the machine (the really difficult parts) things put together.

Of course then came the several months of dealing with getting replacement drive mount screws (which are unique to the case's design) that for some reason did not come with the case when I bought it.

Finally came the double barreled bombshell of having to move by the end of summer and having to manage two departments (about twenty or so client accounts) at the day job that leaves me exhausted when I get home.

Still need to load stuff on the new box but not certain if I can transfer my 3G modem utility to it so I can register the serials for the OS and apps.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

I was about in the same boat when an old friend passed through the area who helped me get most of the machine (the really difficult parts) things put together.

Of course then came the several months of dealing with getting replacement drive mount screws (which are unique to the case's design) that for some reason did not come with the case when I bought it.

Finally came the double barreled bombshell of having to move by the end of summer and having to manage two departments (about twenty or so client accounts) at the day job that leaves me exhausted when I get home.

Still need to load stuff on the new box but not certain if I can transfer my 3G modem utility to it so I can register the serials for the OS and apps.

Bleah, well, that blows!!!

I hope you can get to USE the dang thing someday soon!!!!

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:

Well, it could be worse, I quit before I destroyed everything!

The Office Depot on Anderson Lane near Walmart has a decent price on an i7 laptop, I just need to save up now. Urgh.

Well, it's not like I'm going out or anything..

edited December 1969

Morning. A pale dawn gave way to thin grey daylight here, as if someone turned the contrast way down :)

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:

Well, it could be worse, I quit before I destroyed everything!

The Office Depot on Anderson Lane near Walmart has a decent price on an i7 laptop, I just need to save up now. Urgh.

Well, it's not like I'm going out or anything..

*hugs* Very rantworthy.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Bleah, well, that blows!!!

I hope you can get to USE the dang thing someday soon!!!!

...when I finally sat down to install the last component (the optical drive) I discovered that the store where I bought the case gave me the wrong mounting rails. Had to file another support ticket with Antec as the rails (like the drive mount screws) are also out of stock indefinitely. Their site still shows the case as an active product but most online stores indicate it as being discontinued.

I really like the case, it is solid (all steel frame) has an over abundance of fans, and looks professional rather than screaming G-A-M-E-R!

Helpful Hint: never go to Frys no matter how good the deals may look. I certainly won't anymore. I could have had this project finished months ago

edited December 1969

Is Monday here and it feels weird not to be at work. But then, for a while it felt weird to be at work every monday. I guess the weird index goes up and down all the time, but doesn't get noticed so much.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

PM me a price for the Dimm's Wooly. If you wish to unload them. I'm in the market and would rather be a help to you than some big company.

edited December 1969

Poserworld one-year membership for around the same price as a month's membership, two days left http://poserworld.com/Home.aspx

edited December 1969

LIghtwave has this cool new fracture gadget, can't get enough of it:

crack2.jpg
    800 x 589 - 18K
    crack1.jpg
    800 x 735 - 25K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104
    edited December 1969

preheating oven to have veggie lasagna. Garfield may not like it though, but then I am not feeding Garfield.

edited December 1969

Snzzzz.. brain no wakeful at all, time for a little lie-down. At least I managed to get some things accomplished (laundry, content organization, cooking) so the day wasn't a total abysmal failure.

Have a good ! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

The sun came out so I'm lazing in it :)

edited December 1969

I cooked my Texas toast a little too long.

edited December 1969

Too lazy to cook, but takeaway lunch feels too much like a workday. Maybe I'll eat a banana ;)

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Too lazy to cook, but takeaway lunch feels too much like a workday. Maybe I'll eat a banana ;)

how about a peanut butter and banana sandwich?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited July 2012

banana and mayo

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited July 2012

@ps1borg: Cinema has something like that too, but on it's own it isn't much to look at unless you get creative. Nitroman made some impressive plugins that use MoGraph and it's Fracture object to make some cool explosions and collapses, but I don't have Studio ^^;
    I did this with the ExplosionFX object I think. I haven't played with those objects in a long time. Maybe I should? I think yours would be more fun (Since you seem to have dynamics in yours :D )
    *Edit to Add* That you could make a lot of fun debris and clutter props with that ps1borg :D
    Some nifty concrete or metal textures and then we've got some rubble to play with!

colorblast_rex_by_sylxeriaguardian-d3bcbav.png
    600 x 337 - 268K
    Post edited by Rezca on
This discussion has been closed.