The Wakeful Brain Complaint Thread

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104
    edited December 1969

I find kitten tails so adorable but only on healthy kittens. Well I also think kittens are cute. Gabriele is taking a nap on me. She is so cute.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited December 1969

Black Swallower, the Chiasmodon niger.... Yeah so I understand where the second word derives from but what about the first? Is it two words (like allosaurus is derived from Greek "else" and "lizard") and what language?
    I like looking at the scientific names of critters, but it's so hard identifying where they came from D: Especially when I want to try naming creatures of my own design. >_>
    I also finally found the origin of Thassolodracoidae which was a cretaceous era water dwelling dragon and an ambush predator. Was from the Greek word "thalassa" for "sea".
    Words are so fascinating.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

I find kitten tails so adorable but only on healthy kittens. Well I also think kittens are cute. Gabriele is taking a nap on me. She is so cute.

Aw :)

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    Black Swallower, the Chiasmodon niger.... Yeah so I understand where the second word derives from but what about the first? Is it two words (like allosaurus is derived from Greek "else" and "lizard") and what language?
    I like looking at the scientific names of critters, but it's so hard identifying where they came from D: Especially when I want to try naming creatures of my own design. >_>
    I also finally found the origin of Thassolodracoidae which was a cretaceous era water dwelling dragon and an ambush predator. Was from the Greek word "thalassa" for "sea".
    Words are so fascinating.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=dinosaur&searchmode=none might help you out

edited July 2012

ps1borg said:
    What should I spend my $6 PC coupon on before this month expires? *wonders* I really ought to have got another Falafel eeeow

for 6.97 there's the mini art set :)
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/mini-art-set/

hehe what a crackup, renders of paint tubes like one of those feedback loop things where the paint is painting the paint is painting the paint...

meh wants something cute and frivolous like the organ-grinding monkey

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

Going to try getting the wakeful brain into sleepy-bye mode. After midnight and even the cats are asleep. . . .

sweet dreams

gcake.png
    391 x 265 - 159K
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

At first I didn't find anything, but then I got an idea. I saw that tooth meant "odontos", which is where the -odon came from. I just looked under 'C' as a whole until I found chiasmus, which was the only thing fitting that order of letters. It essentially meant "two things placed crosswise" which didn't make any sense on it's own (especially since I searched for 'C' first, and then tried looking for the definition of -odon). Now I get it. Chiasmodon is essentially referring to their teeth being positioned the way they are. They are titled forward a bit rather than being straight up and down.
    Or at least, that's what I'm getting from it ^_^
    edited July 2012

Also I found very cute image.

i_luff_mommy.jpg
    600 x 637 - 110K
    Post edited by Rezca on
    edited July 2012

Etymology online is a small site, most dictionaries will give you the etymology of a word, is a very large area of study. You might also like Etymological Fallacies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymological_fallacy

I was once stuck in a car with an academic who was slagging off JR Tolkien for what seemed like hours for not being etymologically pure enough, got the impression it is serious stuff :) (and almost put me off school for evah)

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

Rezca said:

edited July 2012

ps1borg said:
    Rezca said:

The red dragons of Warcraft are known to be very caring like that :3

Post edited by Rezca on
    edited December 1969

Needz moar kyute

organ_grinder2_01_002.jpg
    800 x 800 - 49K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

*staggers up and awake* Morning. (2 pm) I finally slept. Even if my mom called twice. I just refused to get up and drifted back to sleep. Significant Otter left with his mom to a quilt expo (my mother-in-law likes quilting), so I have the household for myself.

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Good morning/afternoon/evening/night!

Retail therapy! Grabbed some stuff off my Rendo wishlist, including the Shadow Dragon (useful in a Web comic). Fun times ahead!

Still tired blech. 5 more days of antibiotic, 10 more of antifungal.

Oh well, off to work!

edited December 1969

Retail therapy! Grabbed some stuff off my Rendo wishlist, including the Shadow Dragon (useful in a Web comic). Fun times ahead!

Oh well, off to work!

I took a look at that model just now (Never heard of it before) and have to say the textures it comes with are *awful*. The model itself is okay, not as good as the SubDragon, but the textures just ruin it. Maybe somebody skilled at texturing could give him a much needed makeover.
    I did find some pretty textures for the SubDragon though. Textures for her are always welcome :D
    (We now need a jungle texture, a stripey texture, a "I am poisonous" texture, and a fuzzy-furry texture)

edited December 1969

Still working on that. When I remember. Notoriously absent-minded.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Going to try getting the wakeful brain into sleepy-bye mode. After midnight and even the cats are asleep. . . .

kittehs need their 23 hours of nap time

edited December 1969

only 6 days of unpaid vacay left. eeks - pressure to finish stuff
    time crunch panic mode is not a good time to rearrange chapters
    only a few days left of the prime club - iz happy with the M4 butt fixes.

i'm gonna dedicate some of my webpages to Mike butt renders. what to label the menu? can i guy's butt be called bootilicious? or lessee, buttacular, butt masterful - for some reason butt master makes me giggle.

2 more days of 90F, then it's supposed to drop to 80's.

i'm thinking of changing the clerics in my story to priests, cuz the Dragonlance calls 'em clerics. LOTR didn't have cleric class spell casters.
    iirc Rolemaster had clerics, i luv their cover art.
    Melanie Rawn had pretty dragon covers, couldn't get into reading them

gotta pace the day, marathon mode. :lol:

i'll start dropping snippets if anyone is interested :) i'm turning a prologue into a prequel novel.

edited December 1969

Rezca said:

Oh well, off to work!

I took a look at that model just now (Never heard of it before) and have to say the textures it comes with are *awful*. The model itself is okay, not as good as the SubDragon, but the textures just ruin it. Maybe somebody skilled at texturing could give him a much needed makeover.
    I did find some pretty textures for the SubDragon though. Textures for her are always welcome :D
    (We now need a jungle texture, a stripey texture, a "I am poisonous" texture, and a fuzzy-furry texture)

Yeah, the textures aren't great but I'm going to use it to practice my Poser Material Room skills. I like the model itself, and the concept, and I figure if I can make some freebie materials for it it'll get some loving.

I'm just NOT a modeler, but I've done surfacing before in a past life (heh) so I'm pretty sure I can make something happen! :coolsmile:

I have LOTS of spare time now that I can't go out anywhere (feh). :ohh:

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Brain is awake but seems to be dead, did a zombie snack last night while I was trying to get sleep? Only woke up and read for a bit four times last night.

edited December 1969

It's a great day for bad brains! :snake:

Meetings all morning, fighting multithreading interlock issues in Windows. Pricing 23in monitors to make 3D easier. Trying to decide: Win 7 Pro OEM or cheap out and get Win 7 Home Premium? Still need external backup drive, argh. Antibiotics and antifungals are playing havoc with my digestive system, but antibiotics are over on Saturday. Need to shop for spices soon. Tired tired tired from all the antibioitcs/antifunals. Really need to get the new computer built and running, the laptop is way too slow for anything but We surfing, writing, and publishing. Taking a ab home every day is expensive, but so is ending up back in the hospital with foot issues. Overcast, hot, and humid today, yecch. I could sure use a nap but I imagine my snoring would tick off my co-workers. EvilInnocence doesn't take Paypal so no CrossDresser license for M4 until I get a prepaid credit card. Stabbing yourself in the morning is definitely a rough way to wake up. It IS possible to get sick of meat and cheese, but it takes time. I miss potato chips and Cheeze-Its. A Sausage McMuffin with egg is only 30g of carb and didn't push my glucose level over 128! Most McBurgers, even the chicken, are over 50g of carb and some are close to 70g! Paragraph breaks aren't all that necessary. :coolgrin: :vampire:

Carry on! :smirk:

edited December 1969

Win 7 Pro. Always, always, ALWAYS pick Pro or better. Saves from lots of headaches. Trust me.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Win 7 Pro. Always, always, ALWAYS pick Pro or better. Saves from lots of headaches. Trust me.

It's only $40 more, so yeah - simple enough! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

I went for Ultimate...

NEW DAZ FREEBIE! MOAR SUSHI!

edited December 1969

Cheeeeese~ XD
    A friend on DA insisted we draw some baby warcraft dragons together, and said I was much better at drawing them (Don't know about that!). Well it's my turn to draw one now, and I have no idea what to draw. She recommended it involve cheese somehow XD

1342536914.taruhanako_akairu_.jpg
    550 x 490 - 179K
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    I went for Ultimate...

NEW DAZ FREEBIE! MOAR SUSHI!

Sushi Time 2 GRABBED! Sushiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! :coolsmile:

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Sushi to go with other sushi... but this time it has saki. Need saki to wash down uni I'm sure.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104
    edited December 1969

got the sushi. just need to download it.

I went to sleep early last night. I woke up a bit before midnight and could not fall back asleep until around six or seven in the morning.

edited July 2012

*UGH* Okay complaint. Rather annoying bug/feature I'm experiencing right now on the forums. It says I'm logged out. So I click LOG IN and instead of bringing me to the Log In page it brings me to my Account (With the downloads and everything.) Hitting back and refreshing the page it says I'm still logged out. Okay whatever, maybe the My Account and Log In links got mixed up. Rather, they *both* take me to My Account. I had to copy the page's link, go to my account, LOG OUT from there, Log back in, then paste the link into my browser before the forum said I was logged in and could post >_>
    *sigh* Anyway, my half of the "Whelps and Cheese" art thingie my friend and I are doing. Still in WIP stage.
    I'm thinking of adding an extra line of dialogue, either from the raptor or the whelp saying: "~and glorious cheese!" (If it were coming from the raptor, it'd be in a thought bubble and not a speech bubble. They're smart, but not sapient like dragons.)
    The whelp's right paw/hand took me a while to get looking decent enough, as it was always either oversized or twisted in an unnatural way - it's the one that's pointing forwards, and not the one resting on the raptor's head.
    I've forgotten what the blue raptor's patterns looked like (I only have a vague memory of it) so I went with the yellow one.
    I'm not entirely satisfied with the raptor's grin for some reason. I also think the whelp's teeth a just a bit small. I didn't really like the bright yellow mouths the dragons have in-game so I switched it for a more redish color.
    The characters beneath the cheese icon on the flag is Japanese katakana for cheese (Chiizu - with the 'u' being silent), since I'm delving back into my Japanese studies ^_^;
    *Copy-pastes the message just in case the forum decides to log me out while posting*
    *EDIT* OF course it'd help to POST THE IMAGE XD

whelp-seeking-cheese_wip.jpg
    800 x 450 - 76K
    Post edited by Rezca on
    edited December 1969

need a second wind. zonnnk

This discussion has been closed.