The Wakeful Brain Complaint Thread

Comments

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

8 CORES!

suffering a serious case of core envy :)

My new machine has 4 cores
    Thought that was really great
    But now I'm really envious
    Somebody else has eight!
    I guess I need more power
    Time to go out and buy
    If I don't get my 16 cores
    I'm gonna pout and cry!!

:snake:

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    @ Woolyloach: Going to my primary is like going to triage. Charge and refer.

I'm hoping this one can just look at my foot and tell me if I can quit the crutches, then re-prescribe my diabetes and blood pressure meds for another 30 days. If he refers me to someone else, I'll go straight to them next time (heh heh). :vampire:

Dang, I feel BITEY today! :snake:

edited December 1969

Argh, low on wings!

I don't mean chicken wings, I mean wings for my people.. I need a bunch to to angels, avian people, and generally get some folks up in the air!

Found some goodies at Rendo.. there goes my pittance of 3D money.. oh well! It's not like I'm going out or anything! :-S

Chicken drumsticks tonight, in chipotle sauce! Low carb heaven with a BITE! :snake:

I really like the snake emote, lol!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited December 1969

Dinner sounds good. Did you make enough for everyone?

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    I feel for you and your mom. Sometimes commitment is the only answer. It took all 3 of us living with my dad to keep up with him. Still, it was very hard on all of us.

Sadly, this is utterly not possible to do. I struggle with my own share of problems (severe depression and anxiety along with other issues related to situation), so I am pretty much not capable of dealing with it; pretty much getting up from bed, maybe going to store is a victory to me.

edited July 2012

My new machine has 4 cores
    Thought that was really great
    But now I'm really envious
    Somebody else has eight!
    I guess I need more power
    Time to go out and buy
    If I don't get my 16 cores
    I'm gonna pout and cry!!

:snake:

Waaaat. Duuuude, I told you to go and get eight, at least. ;) If ye ain't lissenin' my advise, I cannae be held responsible. ;)

Oh and looks like the render finished while I was sleeping (I just got up, after four hours of napping -- with any luck I'll get sleepy again in a couple of hours).

Post edited by Skiriki on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited December 1969

My desktop and new laptop both have four cores. I'd like one with six or eight, but don't think I really need it much. For Vue and Maxwell maybe, but Cinema and Vray can do fine w/o the extra firepower.
    I was watching Nick's videos on GSG about how speed and cores and all that should never be a priority for people, and that understanding your program and doing things properly should - About optimizing a scene that would render in hours set up one way, and then in minutes set up a different way with very little difference in final output.
    Still that doesn't mean I don't get envious when people show off their computers XD

edited July 2012

It is easy to say "optimize your scenes", when all you want is some fancy lighting effects plus transparent fog. :( That's where raw computing power comes to play.

Edited to add: holy cow but "Full and Feathered Hair" (either one for Genesis and/or not) is in dire need of better textures.

Post edited by Skiriki on
    edited December 1969

*shrugs* Glow effects and lens flares consume hardly any memory and render almost instantly (At least in CInema) and there are plenty of pluggys that can make extremely dramatic lighting (From splines if you can believe it) in a very short amount of time. It is very much possible to get great lighting and fog effects without multi-day renders. In D|S and Poser/... Dunno. I don't think they were programmed for that stuff, and probably still aren't. If it's just simple fog and flashy lighting you want forget about doing it in the program PERIOD. Some quick Photoshop will get you there. Srsly - google it and you'll see a billion-and-one very dramatic photoshop images made out of plain boring-as-dirt images. Photoshop brushes like Obsidian Dawn and Ron's stuff can do miracles, and if you have access to Adobe After Effects then you won't need to do fog in your program ever again.
    http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2010/10/the-importance-of-compositing-a-layer-by-layer-breakdown-in-after-effects/
    All that fog, glare, DoF, and such was done in postwork.
    It is very tempting to try and do all this in the program itself, but it's not always necessary (Especially with DoF), If it's just lens glares or pretty stuff you want, again Photoshop brushes would still work.
    ALso.... Touhou is the only game I can think of where there is no shame in getting your arse kicked by a mouse ^_^

edited December 1969

The mist on the ground I used Ron's brushes for since I have no luck with doing it within Vue. It was actually more noticeable in the other version, but I like this pic better than the other one. :P

normal_carnivorous_jungle_plant.jpg
    750 x 562 - 59K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Edited to add: holy cow but "Full and Feathered Hair" (either one for Genesis and/or not) is in dire need of better textures.

I'd love some new textures for it. One of my favorite hairs, but the textures show their age.

edited December 1969

I know about layers, Rezca and effects. But in this specific instance I want (and I need) to use the provided fog and effect tools at my disposal. It is one of those things.

Also? I'll take a look at it, fixmypcmike, and see if I can knock something out of my system for it. Because jeeeeeeze.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    AtticAnne said:
    I feel for you and your mom. Sometimes commitment is the only answer. It took all 3 of us living with my dad to keep up with him. Still, it was very hard on all of us.

Sadly, this is utterly not possible to do. I struggle with my own share of problems (severe depression and anxiety along with other issues related to situation), so I am pretty much not capable of dealing with it; pretty much getting up from bed, maybe going to store is a victory to me.

If you can't do it, you can't do it. Just don't feel guilty because you can't. It cause disagreements and hostility with our other family members and led to resentment and hurt feelings. I gave up 25 years of my life for my father and have very little to show for it.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Argh, low on wings!

I don't mean chicken wings, I mean wings for my people.. I need a bunch to to angels, avian people, and generally get some folks up in the air!

Found some goodies at Rendo.. there goes my pittance of 3D money.. oh well! It's not like I'm going out or anything! :-S

Chicken drumsticks tonight, in chipotle sauce! Low carb heaven with a BITE! :snake:

I really like the snake emote, lol!

Gee, tomorrow night I'm frying thighs and drumsticks, nothing fancy. And having mashed potatoes and gravy.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    If you can't do it, you can't do it. Just don't feel guilty because you can't. It cause disagreements and hostility with our other family members and led to resentment and hurt feelings. I gave up 25 years of my life for my father and have very little to show for it.

This is pretty much the approach I've taken.

edited July 2012

Ehh never mind. Wasn't that important anyway :(

Post edited by Rezca on
    edited December 1969

Hay guis, let's pretend that you're hair shopping, 'kay? And you buy some nice hair, 'kay? And then you go "Oh, I WISH there were a texture pack for it!"

So... what kind of colors you're looking for when you want to get a hair texture pack?

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Hay guis, let's pretend that you're hair shopping, 'kay? And you buy some nice hair, 'kay? And then you go "Oh, I WISH there were a texture pack for it!"

So... what kind of colors you're looking for when you want to get a hair texture pack?

I like a good range of natural-looking colors -- exotic color combinations are fun but I prefer most of the pack to be naturally-occurring colors. Good lights and darks are valuable -- several good blondes, a true black.

• bwaomegabwaomega Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

If the textures that already exist for it are good, then anything missing from the set of blonde, brunette, 'red', auburn and black are the first priority. After that, I like exotics in the violet, blue and green part of the spectrum.

edited December 1969

Mmmmhmmm, good, good. What about fancy effects, like, say... I don't know, tiny stars or beads or such?

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Mmmmhmmm, good, good. What about fancy effects, like, say... I don't know, tiny stars or beads or such?

That depends on how large such a pack is going to be. While those fancy effects might be nice some of the time, if there isn't a plain version of a color, it is going to limit the number of scenes where I can use the hair. Something where it could be a princess prepared for a ball with all of the fancy effects, or the same hair for her when she has been on the road for a while, without the time to keep it fancy, is a lot more useful to me. If the hair is already one more suited for formal situations, then that does change things, though.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

Tricky -- if the hairstyle is suited to it, beads and such are nice. It depends how usable the effect is in different situations. If an effect only fits in in a certain era for a certain type of person, odds are it'll get very little use. I tend to view those as a nice extra, but not something that I would count for much when deciding whether to buy a pack, unless I was looking for that exact effect.

edited December 1969

Okeydoke... and 3 additional questions for feedback needs:

1) Would you prefer that all hair presets are in same folder, instead of splitting it up to blonds, blacks, reds, browns, white/grey & exotics? Assume that there's going to be about 30 to 40 hair colors in total.
    2) Would you prefer to have hair texture maps for close-up work and distance, along with their presets for bump etc? If close-up hair is set to uber-surface and distance to basic run-of-the-mill diffuse-bump-displacement-specular, would it be ok? (Remember, I work exclusively on DAZ Studio, not on Poser, although I do permit people to make conversions to other systems when it comes to freebies.)
    3) Assuming hair tex maps for close-up and distance, would 4000x4000 be good for close-up and 1000x1000 (or 2000x2000) for distance? I prefer to use .png files and I can easily run batch conversions with my system, so resizing hair texture is not an issue and since I prefer to save settings uncompressed, search-and-replace in text editor works too, along with other tricks I got up my sleeve.

edited December 1969

I've seen it done both ways. I would say that if there is going to be a substantial number of textures, then grouping them by color group makes it easieer to find what you are looking for. For a smaller number of options, putting them all together makes it easier to say 'Ooohh... maybe I should try that'.

I do like the idea of close-up and distant textures, but I'm not really an expert on what size would be best.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Okeydoke... and 3 additional questions for feedback needs:

1) Would you prefer that all hair presets are in same folder, instead of splitting it up to blonds, blacks, reds, browns, white/grey & exotics? Assume that there's going to be about 30 to 40 hair colors in total.
    2) Would you prefer to have hair texture maps for close-up work and distance, along with their presets for bump etc? If close-up hair is set to uber-surface and distance to basic run-of-the-mill diffuse-bump-displacement-specular, would it be ok? (Remember, I work exclusively on DAZ Studio, not on Poser, although I do permit people to make conversions to other systems when it comes to freebies.)
    3) Assuming hair tex maps for close-up and distance, would 4000x4000 be good for close-up and 1000x1000 (or 2000x2000) for distance? I prefer to use .png files and I can easily run batch conversions with my system, so resizing hair texture is not an issue and since I prefer to save settings uncompressed, search-and-replace in text editor works too, along with other tricks I got up my sleeve.

Split subfolders is nice, but either way I prefer each preset to have a descriptive name.

edited December 1969

Oh good, names.

I'm kinda trying to build a brand identity here. *ahem* I mean, if I do this texture set for Full and Feathered, I'll make it a freebie, since I already kind of promised. Or at least a partial freebie, with basic colors of each main color as freebie plus couple of exotics. ("Here kid, the first one is free...")

My nick is a nature-oriented one -- it means, plainly speaking, "coyote". And even if I am someone who is first in line for faster and better computers, I am somewhere deep down a nature person; I can connect with animals much better than with humans, for example.

So I'm basically wondering if I could give nature-themed names for the colors in my color set. I confess I get baffled when I'm presented something like "archangel Gabriel blue", but if I'm told "red fox", I go "ohhhhh yeah, I get it".

edited December 1969

Exotic names are fun and all, but I have to be able to tell what they refer to. If I see "oxblood" and "maize" I have some idea of what the color is; if it's "persistence" and "complacency", that's another matter (although it does make it easier to search for!)

edited December 1969

Yeah, I never cared for abstracts myself, no matter how easy. But, s'pose animal/nature-related names could work, if they're common enough. Raven. Black wolf (for black-brown). Red sunset. Peacock and rainbow in exotics.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Morning. TG it's Friday ! :)

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Morning. TG it's Friday ! :)

Amen to that. Wanna chime in your opinion regarding hair?

This discussion has been closed.