The Wakeful Brain Complaint Thread

Comments

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

So, here's what I've done so far, testing what works and what doesn't. It still uses the crappy transparency it came with, but the hair color is somewhat improved. Also, I studied the .obj file in Hexagon and winced a lot. It, um, it could use some fixing, seriously. Some hair panels are kind of out of whack.

But this is my "Midnight Blue", on basic female straight outta box plus some decency clothing.

midnight_blue.png
    800 x 800 - 455K
    edited December 1969

Decided to do a second quick render. Fairly dark hair, eh. Gotta tweak it a bit, but I kinda like the soothing blue tone. (You can see the couple of problem areas better. If I release this one, I'm gonna try and include a fix morph for those bits.) I'm gonna slip to sleep for couple of hours before new wake-up.

midnight_blue2.png
    800 x 800 - 736K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104
    edited December 1969

Gabrielle has started eating dry cat food. She seems to like it.

I was starting to feel better but today was a setback.

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Just updated graphics drivers and for the first time the "legacy" drivers were recommended. :(
    Now I KNOW I need new graphics card.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

logged in again.

played a lil with stitchwitch.

finally installed the Corel s/w. i actually like a few of the music backgrounds it came with, they're short though. yesterday i stuck my mic out the window to record some thunder. the low rumbles didn't come through but caught a few good lightning crackles :lol: the video editor leaves a few tracks for audio, i put the thunderstorm under one of the pretty musics, came out pretty kewl

didn't get any renders done, still installing. the steam aircraft dragon didn't come with a readme. i couldn't find how to make win7 search inside text files. frustrating.

sipping pineapple juice on the rocks :)

edited December 1969

pineapple juice is too harsh in the stomach at sleepy time. the temp is dropping to 60's t'nite. tomorrow morning i can make the oatmeal with the hidden dragon eggs. woot

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Up Very Late. Nothing to do, need more sleep. Naps can really mess up your sleep cycle.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Big day. Haz big tired. Coffee free week was tough but yay only one more sleep until coffeeee :)

edited December 1969

Struggling with this damn hair. To be honest, I'm kinda discouraged by some of its layout problems. And by this I mean the haphazard placement of bits involved in its object structure. Yeah.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Looks good so far (I tend to use desaturated textures and tint them) UV maps can be frustratingly fragmented like that, clone brushes will be your friend :)

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Struggling with this damn hair. To be honest, I'm kinda discouraged by some of its layout problems. And by this I mean the haphazard placement of bits involved in its object structure. Yeah.

Hair using transmaps is a serious pain in the butt! It loos pretty decent so far, hang in there!

edited December 1969

Friday. Work all day, come home, rest, sleep.

Saturday. Shop for critical items, come home, rest, sleep.

Sunday. Sleep late, eat, sleep, rest, sleep, read, maybe render a thing or two, rest, sleep.

Meh.

edited July 2012

ps1borg said:
    Looks good so far (I tend to use desaturated textures and tint them) UV maps can be frustratingly fragmented like that, clone brushes will be your friend :)

In this case, it is not about UV mapping. It is more like "there's only one panel of hair -- excepting the skullcap which contains both sides at once -- and we're going to use the hell out of it". It is extremely difficult to work in variance into that.

Edit: I'm helluva tempted to resurface some areas in order to do that, but then I'm gonna run into the problem of "how do I distribute that?"

Post edited by Skiriki on
    edited December 1969

I wasn't goin gto buy more toy, but...

FLUSH TENTACLE!!!!! http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ed14/

Me wantsssssssssssssssss! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

Hey, that's pretty cool! But I prefer a poseable plush one I can set up in my room to frighten off intruders and other interlopers.

Still, that would ROCK for Halloween! One on each arm, and maybe a Cthulhu plushie for a helmet!!!!! :snake:

edited December 1969

Nah, go whole hog -- make an octopus/squid costume, and other tentacles just hang there from your body, while you use your tentacle arms for unspeakable things. :)

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Nah, go whole hog -- make an octopus/squid costume, and other tentacles just hang there from your body, while you use your tentacle arms for unspeakable things. :)

That sounds like a plan! Bet I could scare the s stuffing out of kids AND adults!!! :vampire:

In other unrelated news: bought the Dungeon Siege III bundle from Gamestop for $13!!! It should run OK on my laptop, until I get a new one. A new i5 laptop is due to be bought in 3 weeks! W00t!

edited December 1969

So basically -- make a sack with two sleeves, that you pull over your body; length is somewhere below the butt where you gently pull it in with a waistband. Make tentacles that attach to that waistband and hang from there. You probably won't need to stuff them, but prop them with a double-spined plastic strip skeleton; this means they won't pull the sack down so heavily and remain safer in case of an accident. A bit like...

----------------------- <--- this is spine, which attachs to rings below<br /> O O O O O O O O <--- these are rings made out of strips, attached to spine above and below<br /> ----------------------- <--- this is second spine, which attachs to rings above</p>

All this is slipped inside a sock-like tentacle to keep it round and lightweight.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    So basically -- make a sack with two sleeves, that you pull over your body; length is somewhere below the butt where you gently pull it in with a waistband. Make tentacles that attach to that waistband and hang from there. You probably won't need to stuff them, but prop them with a double-spined plastic strip skeleton; this means they won't pull the sack down so heavily and remain safer in case of an accident. A bit like...

----------------------- <--- this is spine, which attachs to rings below<br /> O O O O O O O O <--- these are rings made out of strips, attached to spine above and below<br /> ----------------------- <--- this is second spine, which attachs to rings above</p>

All this is slipped inside a sock-like tentacle to keep it round and lightweight.

Great idea! I'll copy this off and save it in "Halloween Ideas"! :vampire::coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Yeah, you know that blue or white plastic strip which is often used to secure packages? Use that.

edited December 1969

today is laundrymat day. wahh don't wanna

edited December 1969

WTF. (Perfectly safe for work, just... WTF. Rendered.)

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Yeah, you know that blue or white plastic strip which is often used to secure packages? Use that.

Gotcha. I'll start saving up for the parts, since I can use it over and over! Heh, heh, heh!

Apropos of nothing: blew my pittance of 3D money on wings and angel outfits. I have horns already, and a few demons, so I'm good to go there. W00t!

edited December 1969

today is laundrymat day. wahh don't wanna

Hang in there, it'll all be clean soon!

Laundry day Sunday here.. meh.. oh well.

edited July 2012

Apropos of nothing: blew my pittance of 3D money on wings and angel outfits. I have horns already, and a few demons, so I'm good to go there. W00t!

Say, if you got leathery bat-wings, which ones are your favorite? (Anyone else is free to pitch in.) I need wings that can be with a little retexturing to go from succubus bat wings to half-dragon wings. Also, they need to be rigged so they are poseable.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

Say, if you got leathery bat-wings, which ones are your favorite? (Anyone else is free to pitch in.) I need wings that can be with a little retexturing to go from succubus bat wings to half-dragon wings. Also, they need to be rigged so they are poseable.

Argh - I have a set of batwing-type things or two, but I'll have to check when I get home - I use 'em rarely right now so the name doesn't stick in my mind.

I'll post something when I get home! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Thanks, that'll do. :) Not in a huge hurry.

edited December 1969

@Skiriki: ok, I'll see if I can't also do a render or two of just the wings.

Argh, well, after looking at laptops to replace my aging Asus, I've decided.. to build another SFF machine! this time a low-power i3 dual-core with a 512MB NVidia card, something I can play games on without coughing up $100+ for a "gaming" laptop. I'll just keep the Asus around to be a server box and hang a couple of terabytes of storage off it. Intel HD 3000/4000 graphics are too weak to be OK for most games, and a discrete GPU on a laptop costs a FORTUNE!!!

Sigh.. something else to save up for.

edited July 2012

Does someone have some time this weekend to test some hair presets and textures for me, btw? (DAZ, I don't have Poser, and no way to test Poser presets. Sorry.)

This discussion has been closed.