Inspirational Animated Movies and Videos

Comments

• eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited December 1969

Mentioning PIXAR Evilproducer, reminded me of something. The very first Animation program I bought was "Animation Master" (Made my very first 3D model with it). Anyway on the forum I'd see this chap put up animation tests he was doing and then one day he released this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybXrrTX3LuI

Anyway soon after that Pixar head hunted him to work on a new animation movie they were making called "Monsters Inc". Can you guess which character her worked on?

So folks you never know who might be watching.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I Love that video! Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen it, it seems.
    At that time I also was really grooving on this one, and am amazed that I was able to find it, just now!
    Watch Out! A Ninja Animation

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited May 2014

The TMNT Nickolodean series that is currently in season 2.

This is an episodic kids TV aimed at the 7-10yo market, so keep that in mind, but I LOVE the animation in it, especially the facial expressions. Actually, I love everything about the show, the writing, characters, etc.

This particular clip is the slapstick comedy stuff, but throughout the series there are many key subtle moments, sometimes with very little dialog, that the animators convey wonderfully through eye and body language movements.

Also, a lot of people are ripping on it, but I'm really impressed by the CG in the trailers for the upcoming Live Action Turtles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Hf8rFPjyg&sns=em

Post edited by NoName99 on
    edited December 1969

LOL!
    "Don't freak out... it's just a mask... see?" :lol:
    Love the trailer!
    Yeah, when it comes to what "I" want to watch, I've learned to ignore what other people say, or I'd miss out on some great stuff and get stuck watching what everyone else watches! ;)

This looks really cool! My daughter loved the TMNT movies that came out in series a while back. I bet she watches this too... I'll have to ask her. If not, I'll see about getting Season 1 for myself. Thanks for the tip! I Love this sort of thing :)

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

YES!!!!!

Watch this one!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WoM2bHfr48&sns=em

The animation of the alien monster, especially when he first shows up, is mind-blowingly awesome!!

Great camera work too!

And, the comedy..........oh boy

edited December 1969

Ha Ha Love it. :lol: Oh and you do have baked beans over there!

edited December 1969

LOL!!! Great punchline!!!

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited May 2014

I'm subscribed to the "The Cgbros" channel on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1rx8j9Ggp8mp4uD0ZdEIA), and it's a great mix of finished works, production break-downs, and demo reels.

A few suggestions:

"Johnny Express" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRtd2-58FK0)

"Francis" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9xX6lQ_gdY)

"Meet Me Far" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg5_45NJOIw&index=8&list=FL3f0nX35iRwnOTUc0k3w85Q)

"Mega-Plush - Episode II" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCGA6nx6J2k) -- this last is probably not safe for work, kids, or the easily offended.

Not CGbros-related, but also very cool:

"The Maker" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDXOioU_OKM&list=FL3f0nX35iRwnOTUc0k3w85Q&index=27)

"8-Bitham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter " (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6OSbq3Is0&list=FL3f0nX35iRwnOTUc0k3w85Q&index=4)

"Ormie the Pig " (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUm-vAOmV1o&list=FL3f0nX35iRwnOTUc0k3w85Q&index=12)

Post edited by Morpheon on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Kevin. I'll check those out tomorrow ;)

edited December 1969

I'm subscribed to the "The Cgbros" channel on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1rx8j9Ggp8mp4uD0ZdEIA), and it's a great mix of finished works, production break-downs, and demo reels.

Okay, I haven't even played any of the suggestions yet, and I'm seeing that I am very glad that you've turned us on to this channel... Very cool how they have everything organized into categories. Nice to be able to cruise in, pop into the category we're after, and find some cool stuff to watch.

Thanks again, Kevin!
    This Freaking Rocks!

edited December 1969

Silly me, for not yet mentioning Sintel - Blender Foundations Third Open Movie, a very well made tragic tale that simply MUST be seen ;)

In grabbing the link for this post, I'm a bit embarrassed that I haven't yet seen The Making of Sintel - by the Blender Foundation, for I love to watch 'making of' documentaries of cool films... and Sintel is certainly cool!

edited December 1969

Short but sweet, I also really like this trailer: Dragon Age - Sacred Ashes
    I have never (yet) called down the dragon to kill it, so I've never actually encountered Dark Spawn during my climb. Cultists, yes... Dark Spawn, no. But it makes for an excellent trailer!

Still, Neverwinter Nights with all of the expansions is my favorite computer game I've ever played. I liked Neverwinter Nights 2, but the fighting animations were totally botched up in favor for the higher resolution graphics. For me, I looked upon the original NWN saga as the ultimate way to play tabletop Dungeons and Dragons with people whom cannot make it to your house. No need for voice acting or super high resolution models, because they had excellent animations and, by the time they've stopped producing official expansions, BioWare and the community of players had produced assets for nearly any game anyone ever wanted to play - even d20 modern! I DMed a game of Firefly using the Traveller 20 rules, and co-DMed a game of Star Wars: Knights of the New Republic using a modified SW version of d20, and played in many games from many official and unofficial campaign settings. I would be involved now if I had a group together, for sure! I love how the game works - being able to host a game and DM it, run without a DM, have multiple DMs, etc.,

Here is the cool old short intro movie: Neverwinter Nights Opening Cinematic
    Here is the pre-production trailer that came with Baldurs Gate II years before release of the game: Welcome to Neverwinter Nights

The game was built to allow owners of the game to be able to easily build their own games without having to join in any sort of "Hacking" community. Instead, upon launch of the game, you can choose to play or to build. Building is as simple as loading in a blank area that represents the type of environment you need, like a wooden interior, castle interior, dungeon interior, rural wilderness, rural wilderness in the winter, underdark kingdoms, crypts (above or below), and many, many more. Once you decide the overall scheme of the terrain, you then simply grab models from several tabs on the side and paint them down. If you build up levels of ground and then paint a stream or river from one level to the next, you see the automatically generated waterfall right before your eyes, right within the editor. So fun! Paint invisible triggers for traps, encounters, etc., which can be either selected from a large collection of examples, or set up how you decide... again, very easily. This whole thing is what drew me into the field of working with 3D in the first place!

We built our own hangouts, where we would get together when we weren't playing games, just to hang out and chat using 3d animated models. I miss those days. I spent a lot of time making custom textures and tweaking the actual asset menus for some of the bigger community coops, like CEP (Community Expansion Project) and C.R.A.P. (Classic Roleplay Adaptation Project) as well as the Spelljammer team. Nowadays I still go in and play the official campaigns on occasion, just for fun.

The entire Diamond Edition, which includes all of the expansions, is available at GOG.com for only 9.99 USD! I payed over 120 buying each supplement as they came out. To help preserve my original boxes and discs, I once again bought this GOG version - as it's also easier to install onto my little disc-free notebook: Acer Aspire One. Amazing how fun this game can be - Half the time I want to play an adventure, half the time I'd rather go in and build one ;) A true blast!

edited May 2014

Dragon Age - Sacred Ashes is definitely on my to watch list. I'm sure I've seen some of that armour for sale in the DAZ shop :)
    Never been one for games playing though. The only game I played regular and still do now and again is "Magic the Gathering" which is a card game not 3D.

Do you think he was happy at the end of the Neverwinter Nights Cinematic 'cause it was steaks for dinner ??? :-)

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:

Do you think he was happy at the end of the Neverwinter Nights Cinematic 'cause it was steaks for dinner ??? :-)
    That and the fact that he still has his new steak knife that he spent all that time making! :)

I am not into computer games either. I like gathering with friends and playing D&D. But alas... my crew is all disbanded - spread all over the world now. My wife tried to find a computer game that I would like. She tried for years. Finally I tried Baldur's Gate. Oh yeah! Then Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment. All D&D quasi-3d 2d games. Neverwinter Nights entered the 3d world and gave the tools to hack the game in a very strong, elegant manner. Nearly every monster, creature, dragon, race, and setting is now represented either through official or community expansions. One talented module writer even created an in-game game of cards, much like (I believe based upon) Magic the Gathering.

The complexities of the following NWN2 led to less content as far as completing the entire D&D realm of creatures and settings, and Dragon Age even less flexible, but far more realistic. The lack of flexibilities drove me back away from being interested in games and back into only being interested in using my computers for art - just as I was before. I try to encourage a group of NWN every once in a while, but not very hard. I'd still rather be spending my time in Carrara.True Story.

He IS happy, isn't he? Never thought of the Minotaur steak thing... good call!

edited December 1969

I can be soooo thick sometimes. Just realised the Dragon Age clip was a games cinematic. I thought it was the movie after this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxjOV0lmkh4

Durr :shut:

edited December 1969

I own that one too... and love it!
    Cool combination between anime and 3d CG looks.

edited December 1969

Netflix members just got their deal boosted by the Force!
    All Seasons of Star Wars: The Clone Wars are now available to stream on Netflix, including the final, sixth Season - The Lost Missions!

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - On Netflix

SW-CloneWars.jpg
    665 x 374 - 59K
    edited June 2014
    GOTG_wpw_teaser.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 2M
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Check out this thrilling Carrara/Messiah cartoon trailer:
    Dinner for Few by our very own pal, Nassos
    Grunt... Grunt... Meow... Meow...
    ... Ahhhhhhh!!!!! :ahhh:

Then check out the killer 'Behind the Music' doc video just below it.
    While you're there, might as well check out the cool animatics!

Here's Nassos' thread about it in this Carrara forum

edited July 2014

Industrial Light & Magic: Creating The Impossible
    57 minutes of great material documenting the history of a company created to perform magical cinematic effects prior to, and actually creating the launch of, computer-assisted graphical composite effects for film.

From its beginning, literally being created so that the needed special effects for the epic: Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope, ILM was fortunately built as a high-end special effects house for hire, and has been used for many more titles through Indiana Jones, Willow, The Abyss, to Jurassic Park and Jumanji, to Pirates of the Caribbean to Iron Man, and everything (~300 films) they've enhanced along the way, like Terminator 2, Avatar, and the rest of the Star Wars Saga, for example.
    ILM has pushed the envelop and actually created many of the tools we use today - not only making the movies that we watch better-looking, but also handing down their inventions for others to incorporate into their software for us to have a go with!

This cool movie reminds me a lot of Carrara and my reasons for using it, compared to the many other software choices out there. Listening to these pros - the obstacles they had to overcome - the tools they had to create - the creative minds they had to adopt... they have proven over and over again that, with enough ambition and imagination combined with shared experiences and ideas, any sort of visual effect can be created. Carrara combines the most popular tools and functions from a vast array of possible other tool kits, often made up of many computers running different tasks, so that aspiring CG artists have a suite full of so many capabilities that visual magic can be created in many ways at a very low cost. Carrara 5 Pro adding the ability to import Poser content and manipulate it in the natural way one using this content would expect, was a huge addition to the software and has since become more and more compatible. This is HUGE for those of us whom wish to perform many tasks aside from the actual creation and setup of all of the needed assets and their rigging for animation.

It was this solution to using content while also including vertex modeling tools that truly drew me into purchasing and using Carrara. But Carrara has so much more to offer than that! As it turns out, with its many tools and functions Carrara makes nearly anything possible for the Home CG Artist!

Added to all that Carrara gives us as tools to work with, this community of Carrara users shares experiences for solutions and inspiration. We all help each other grow in our possibilities and quality of output. It happens all the time that those will years of experience can pick up on something new from someone whom has just picked up Carrara and started using it with a different set of eyes from different inspirations... it's Magic!

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

Oh good - my pet subject.

In order of importance (imho)

Blade Runner - for storyline and lighting lessons.
    Minority Report - a more modern look at Dystopia
    THX1138 - The original "clean" Dystopia look.
    Metropolis (The animated cartoon) - Some great rendered dystopian overcrowded backgrounds.
    The Rocketeer - Terrible film but great shots of Ennis house (Blade Runner apartment reference)
    S Club Seven (Best of) DVD - Horrible teeny music but a wonderful video set in Ennis house.
    Hi-de-hi! boxset - I just put that in for a joke (to make sure you are paying attention ;) )

edited July 2014

Ho De Ho [In best welsh accent] Morning Campers!

:-)

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Master - Mine's a pint of Tetley's, Tea that is)

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    Ho De Ho [In best welsh accent] Morning Campers!

:-)

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Master - Mine's a pint of Tetley's, Tea that is)

he he he. I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy the series. Probably at completely the other end of the scale from Blade Runner. Unless Gladys was a replicant?!

edited December 1969

Recently heared "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" on radio 4.
    The film has the same basic premise, but entirely different story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046j873

edited December 1969

eyesee said:

I keep meaning to check that out, when I heard a preview of it i wasn't convinced I'd like it. The whole Blade runner imagery and overcrowded nature of things appeals to me.

edited December 1969

It becomes more of a "Total Recall" type of theme.

"Is Decker an android whom only thinks he's human because of implanted memories" sort of thing.

edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    It becomes more of a "Total Recall" type of theme.

"Is Decker an android whom only thinks he's human because of implanted memories" sort of thing.

Oh ok. They do that a bit with Deckard in the final cut (the dream sequence), but if you want total recall then watch total recall. btw the recent version of it sucks imho.

edited July 2014

total recall. btw the recent version of it sucks imho.

Can't argue with you there. Watched the first 15-20 mins and switched it off.

P.S. Loooove Vangelis's Theme music to Runner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9KAqhbIZ7o

Is that not just sex on a synth or what?

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

I like the new Total Recall, but as an entirely different film - not as a replacement of the original, which I really enjoyed!

But did you guys check out the cool documentary on ILM? (link above)
    An earlier mention was a special documentary on Harryhausen. Wow is that ever a good show!

edited July 2014

Oh good - my pet subject.

In order of importance (imho)

- Blade Runner - for storyline and lighting lessons.
    - Minority Report - a more modern look at Dystopia
    - THX1138 - The original "clean" Dystopia look.
    - Metropolis (The animated cartoon) - Some great rendered dystopian overcrowded backgrounds.
    - The Rocketeer - Terrible film but great shots of Ennis house (Blade Runner apartment reference)
    - S Club Seven (Best of) DVD - Horrible teeny music but a wonderful video set in Ennis house.

Hi-de-hi! boxset - I just put that in for a joke (to make sure you are paying attention ;) )

Thanks for this!
    I really like suggestions to give me an idea for something new to watch that I might have been missing. Blade Runner is the only title on this list that I've seen... so this is an excellent list for me! ;) Thanks Steve and Eyesee!