Inspirational Animated Movies and Videos

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Correction - I meant that Dark Matter season 2 just ended (not just started) in the UK.  I believe it is going to a third series.  And yes, I was a big fan of Thunderbirds when it was first shown (and my kids enjoyed the repeats in the 1990s) and I have been following the new series too, I think it captures the spirit of the original pretty well, while updating it without ruining it (as so often happens!).

• Is anyone else watching this show?

I watch it on NetFlix... love it!

Yep, me and my wife just finished watching season 2 last week, awesome, check out Stranger Things, cute lil' show, I loved it (music inspired by Tangerine Dream, used to listen to them in 70's) smiley

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

The 2015/16 reboot of Thunderbirds is pretty inspirational, although it's a mix of CG and miniature sets from Weta - no puppets! (and I still prefer the 60s theme tune, lol!)

Sweet! Thanks for this!!! :D

Is anyone else watching this show?

Yep, me and my wife just finished watching season 2 last week, awesome, check out Stranger Things, cute lil' show, I loved it (music inspired by Tangerine Dream, used to listen to them in 70's) smiley

Cool. I've been wondering if I should try that one... so many choices, so little time! ;)

Thanks for the recommendation!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

tangerine dream +++ - there's a blast-from-the-past... There's an entire thread topic in timeless audio/music. Back to carrara...

An all-time favorite is "Blade-Runner"

Which I think of when I see stone-mason's future scenes/sets.

Add-to-that Terry Gilliam's (monty python fame) "Brazil"

amazing world - darkly brilliant story/production.

Wow! Talk about a Happy Halloween!

I just recieved a gift from a friend! 

Thanks mindsong!!!

The Trailer

Sounds like you've had a rough week, so the timing couldn't have been better.

More thanks to you for what you do for us carrarazies out here! Your wisdom and energy are priceless and appreciated, even if we're all too busy and distracted to make that known.

cheers,

--ms

Thank you, my friend! Man this is a great flick! Half-way through! :)

He didn't just send the movie either... he's sent Popcorn, Pretzels and movie-watching candy too!!! yes

What a pal, indeed!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

because I never grew up.  smiley

heh, something to bookmark and review when we start to take ourselves too seriously. Rough by any standard, yet filled with life and energy.

It really is about 'the story', isn't it?

grin,

--ms

Rosie and I own that - at least one copy of it. We watch that together ever year - I can't seem to remember what time of year we watch it though... LOL

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited November 2016
    diomede said:

I adore those old animated specials, especially that one.

Which reminds me, from my childhood memories The Beatles "Yellow Submarine" used to play on non cable TV once a year or so:

Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited November 2016

A little while ago in this thread, we mentioned Caroline Munro in The Seventh Golden Voyage of Sinbad - this is my little tribute to her in that role. Not an exact likeness, but it captures something of her in that role, I think.  I hope you like it.

MargianaFinal.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 532K
    Post edited by PhilW on

Yes! A fine likeness! Thanks!

I own that movie... love it!

I love those old cartoon bizarres like Yellow Submarine! Monty Python animations too.

Man, finishing Wizards last night was fantastic! Took me all day due to festive interruptions, but after I finished it, I watched the whole special features presentation: Interview with Ralph Bakshhi.

He's really inspired me in ways unexpected. I'm glad I watched that when I did - being right at that point in my project to need such advice!

RE: Wizards - that interview struck a chord with me a well. Good news!, the interview is on youtube for those that might be curious what we're talking about!:

For some back-story, Ralph Bakshi is a traditional animator who consistently didn't follow the 'rules' of the industry in the late 60s/70s and made some great edgy movies. Even if not 3d/electronic, his struggles sound quite familiar...!

He did:

Cool-World (brad pit), Wizards, Fire & Ice, Lord Of The Rings, Fritz The Cat, and I'm sure imdb shows many others.

Anyway, his style, edits, edginess, etc. have a lot to offer for any animators looking for 'good stuff' to keep their own productions interesting!

cheers,

--ms

@Philw - "i hope you like it"

What's not to like? - wonderful!

It's one of those renders that, knowing it's 3D, I try to find 'proof' (eyes/hair are usually the give-away). Even on close scrutiny, it's really hard to tell it's not real. solid work!

--ms

diomede said:

I don't have that one, but we've got 'rudolph'... heh

--ms

mindsong said:

@Philw - "i hope you like it"

What's not to like? - wonderful!

It's one of those renders that, knowing it's 3D, I try to find 'proof' (eyes/hair are usually the give-away). Even on close scrutiny, it's really hard to tell it's not real. solid work!

--ms

Thanks - I appreciate it!

...and we appreciate the gratuitous imagery!!! ;) Thanks Phil!!!

mindsong said:

RE: Wizards - that interview struck a chord with me a well. Good news!, the interview is on youtube for those that might be curious what we're talking about!:

For some back-story, Ralph Bakshi is a traditional animator who consistently didn't follow the 'rules' of the industry in the late 60s/70s and made some great edgy movies. Even if not 3d/electronic, his struggles sound quite familiar...!

He did:

Cool-World (brad pit), Wizards, Fire & Ice, Lord Of The Rings, Fritz The Cat, and I'm sure imdb shows many others.

Anyway, his style, edits, edginess, etc. have a lot to offer for any animators looking for 'good stuff' to keep their own productions interesting!

cheers,

--ms

...and earlier I've posted this one, the Making of Fire & Ice, which really demonstrates the wonderful old-school methods he's talking about in the above interview.

I'm glad that Ralph is Ralph. He has some opinions that directly oppose my methods and ideas, yet I can't help but to agree with what he's saying - and how he says it, while sometimes we just simply disagree with each other.

But when it comes to some things - some of his ideas and opinions - he's really helped me to find myself within some of the recent walls I've been walking into. Thanks Ralph! And thanks ms for the ticket to see all of this stuff again! What a treat! What inspiration!

PhilW said:

Correction - I meant that Dark Matter season 2 just ended (not just started) in the UK.  I believe it is going to a third series.  And yes, I was a big fan of Thunderbirds when it was first shown (and my kids enjoyed the repeats in the 1990s) and I have been following the new series too, I think it captures the spirit of the original pretty well, while updating it without ruining it (as so often happens!).

Is anyone else watching this show?

Yep, me and my wife just finished watching season 2 last week, awesome  smiley

Sorry for the OT, but...

That is NOT a clif-hanger!!! That's just mean to leave us like that!!!!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

OK, not an animated movie, but  LOT of CGI.  And a lot of humor which I really like.  "The Cabin In The Woods" (2012) is a combined tribute and sendup of horror movies from Joss Wheedon ("Firefly", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer").  I am apparently the only person left who never heard of it until recently - I checked it out at the local public library and the staff had all seen it.   My favorite critic, Roger Ebert (RIP), gave it three stars out of four and admits it has some pretty scary moments.  But  " 'The Cabin in the Woods' has been constructed almost as a puzzle for horror fans to solve. Which conventions are being toyed with?".  The answer is virtually all of them, including about 100 horror movies and a dozen or so video games.  I thought it was great fun.  You can find the trailer and many scenes at YouTube, but here is an explanation of the movies and games being referenced:

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    Steve K said:

OK, not an animated movie, but  LOT of CGI.  And a lot of humor which I really like.  "The Cabin In The Woods" (2012) is a combined tribute and sendup of horror movies from Joss Wheedon ("Firefly", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer").  I am apparently the only person left who never heard of it until recently - I checked it out at the local public library and the staff had all seen it.   My favorite critic, Roger Ebert (RIP), gave it three stars out of four and admits it has some pretty scary moments.  But  " 'The Cabin in the Woods' has been constructed almost as a puzzle for horror fans to solve. Which conventions are being toyed with?".  The answer is virtually all of them, including about 100 horror movies and a dozen or so video games.  I thought it was great fun.  You can find the trailer and many scenes at YouTube, but here is an explanation of the movies and games being referenced:

Intereresting, looks cool. I used to be far more into horror films and novels  in my youth...not sure what that says, lol.

This isn't as much animation as well, but influencial and at times just plain bizarre (but in a good, creative way): Sid & Marty Kroft shows from the 70's like HR Pufnstuf, Land of the Lost and Lidsville. Seeing episodes today, I think they used a lot of primitive chroma key, but it did the trick. smiley

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

latest wowser of a demo reel has my muse screaming like a banshee.  especially the part with the tiger

Yeah.. Sweet!!!

• MistyMist said:

latest wowser of a demo reel has my muse screaming like a banshee.  especially the part with the tiger

New Carrara challenge coming some time soon (next time I get the honor to host it), recreate any, I mean ANY still frame from that Demo angel

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Could be next month!

MistyMist said:

New Carrara challenge coming some time soon (next time I get the honor to host it), recreate any, I mean ANY still frame from that Demo angel

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

that rainbow of particles shouldnt be too difficult.

MistyMist said:

that rainbow of particles shouldnt be too difficult.

But... but... the Tiger... re... remember the Tiger?