Inspirational Animated Movies and Videos

Comments

• eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited July 2014

I did watch it Dartanbeck, keep those links coming. Love this! :coolsmile:

Hadn't realised just how much the birth of 3D is owed to ILM!
    An interview with Ed Catmull... now where have I heard that name before.. Hmmm.

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Catmull–Clark_subdivision_surface?lang=en

Documentaries like this are great, but they always leave me wanting to know more details!

I can highly recommend THX1138 (George Lucas's first film)

Post edited by eyesee on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:

I know... right? It all began with a small band of genius to gear up for a galaxy far, far away!
    I didn't even know that the THX flick was available. Heard of it, but never saw it for sale anywhere. Now that I know... I'll find it, own it, watch it! ;) Thanks for the great tips!
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:

I know... right? It all began with a small band of genius to gear up for a galaxy far, far away!
    I didn't even know that the THX flick was available. Heard of it, but never saw it for sale anywhere. Now that I know... I'll find it, own it, watch it! ;) Thanks for the great tips!

If I recall, THX1138 was one of Coppola's and Lucas's first joint production through their (or was it just Coppola's?) production company, American Zoetrope or something. Lucas was supposed to direct Apocalypse Now I believe, but was working on Star Wars, or Empire and Coppola didn't want to wait. It caused some hard feelings between Lucas and Coppola as Lucas felt a little betrayed. More American Graffiti's Vietnam war sequences was Lucas's small scale attempt at putting his war movie vision on screen.

Most of that I recall reading in Skywalking, an unofficial Lucas biography.

edited December 1969

eyesee said:

You don't have to go far to get THX1138 it's on Amazon.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

love this one, a pop up book one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g4kO9cEvUQ

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited August 2014

These 2 do a major blending of CG & live-action

Casshern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk9fGI90qdM

After doing casshen the director did Goemon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_BzNsDvpRY

Note that in Goemon just like in Cashen the set are just about 85% CG. The horses you see in a few scenes in Goemon the actors are riding are CG too. The designers chose to mix designs from several different cultures into the way they depict Japan so it isn't a historical depiction.

Youtube has several different trailers for it online and you can watch the entire movie online too on some sites.

One bad thing about the English release for Goemon is that Funimation did it.

Funamtion often changes the aspect ratios to fit what they want for the release instead of keeping actual aspect ratios and Funamtion does release Blue-Ray versions of stuff that was never made for or meant for Blue Ray and often messes up the fotage when they try and make a HD version of something that wasn't HD to begin with. You can find several negative reviews of Funamtion products on Amazon that talk about this in greater detail and on various sites online along with the technical details.h

Watch a subtitled version too the English dub is very bad.

Planetary Traveler & the sequel film Infinity's Child

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168124/

http://www.infinityschild.com

Planetary Traveler was the first film to have all of its CG done on home desktop computers. They also did all the CG in both films using Bryce. The behind the scenes on my Planetary Traveler DVD goes into detail about this.

Note you can view Planetary Traveler online, but the music soundtrack was changed to some other music by the person who uploaded it.

The Great Yokai War

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdk9_fPdzo0

The used CG for some of the Yokai.

The movie has 1 million yokai that show up in. Several yokai experts also have various roles in the movie including Mizuki Shigeru.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

The Legend of Qin (aka Qin's Moon)

This is China's first wuxia 3D animated series. It has run for 4 seasons with a prequel movie due out latter this year and season 5 is in production.

It is planned to have a toat of 7 season.

They used to have an English official site for it as it was planned to be translated into English.

The Chinese Official site is at:

http://web.qinsmoon.com/webpage/index.php

Wikipedia page about the series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qin's_Moon

You Tube has English fan sub versions of just about all of the episodes.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

You may already know about these, as they're American, but they're a new find for me. So, on the off chance you haven't seen them
    we have "Roughnecks Starship Troopers Chronicles"

Trailer Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmXZvgXjxtk

I mention these not because they're great examples of CGI, they were made quite a few years ago now, but more because they're an example of how far the technologies come.

Half way through the first DVD you'll realise that it was made in Lightwave, as one on the characters appears with the Logo on her tee shirt. I also think there's some people round here that could do a better job of modelling and detailing the ground planes and backgrounds. Eh Dartanbeck ! ;-) .

Wow... This just never gets old for me!

Also, I have a couple of playlists that I haven't mentioned in here. I made them strictly for inspirational purposes toward ideas for stories, CG scenes, Visual Effects, etc.,

VFX Inspiration - a playlist made up of some interesting looks at Game of Thrones, future ideas from ILM, older works from the beginnings of ILM, a series of Harryhousen chronicles, making of videos for other films, like Avatar and such... enjoy!

Clone Wars Inspiration - Yeah, you might be sick of me talking about this show. But this series has some great offerings to anyone interested in Screenwriting, Visual Effects, CG Art Development, etc., Of course, if you enjoy watching Clone Wars, you'll likely get a lot more out of it - having a more personal connection to what they're talking about. In Season 2, we see that the show obtained the talents of Mr. Joel Aaron, a VFX artist whom is very skilled at creating the impossible! Lead Art Director, Killian Pluncket shares a lot of the thought process into designing characters for the show, writers share details on creating their arcs, discussions with George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy, an entire episode on Voice Acting, another on the Musical Score of the show, and much, much more!

Any Fusion users out there? I have a wonderful playlist around getting started by Fusion's previous owner: Eyeon Software:

Fusion Lessons by Eric Westphal at Eyeon

...and another from our very own Jonstark:

Creating and Animating Carrara's Dynamic Hair

• Here is one of my favorites ...

Ya all enjoy smiley

Phantastic! Wow... very inspiring indeed!

Thanks FifthElement!!!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Here be cool stuff.. thanks for the links to vids... pretty neat stuff

• Phantastic! Wow... very inspiring indeed!

Thanks FifthElement!!!

No problem, have plenty of those, here is few more ...

Cheers smiley

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Golden Voyage of Sinbad will always be special for me, not only for the Harryhausen effects but I had a teenage crush on Caroline Munro! I was tgrilled to meet her in person a few years ago - still beautiful.

edited October 2016
    PhilW said:

Golden Voyage of Sinbad will always be special for me, not only for the Harryhausen effects but I had a teenage crush on Caroline Munro! I was tgrilled to meet her in person a few years ago - still beautiful.

Yikes! I bet you were thrilled! Wow what a babe in that movie!!!

Phantastic! Wow... very inspiring indeed!

Thanks FifthElement!!!

No problem, have plenty of those, here is few more ...

Short Film - A Drop

Short Film - Breaking Point

Cheers smiley

So Cool! Again, Thanks for sharing these... I love this stuff and find it very inspiring!

have plenty of those

Me too! I'm subscribed to (YouTube) channels like:

Blur Studio

The CG Bros

Sci-Fi Short Films Channel

and love to peruse the talent-crazed art that's always being created... it's truly amazing and quite wonderful. 

Check this out: Blur Animation/FX REEL 2016 (No, it's not a Dead Pool ad!)

They're the studio that did the Dragon Age trailer above, as well as this beautiful piece of Game Art:

Bunch of cool stuff on Vimeo too! 

That's the cool thing about having a thread like this (thanks videatoculo), it can be quite a chore to try and sift through all of the stuff out there unless we know where to look - and still might miss a whole bunch of cool, highly inspirational stuff!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Wow. This has just shown up in my suggested 'to watch' list. This CG guy has some amazingly realistic expressions, movements... well... yeah... he's behaving pretty darned real for a fellow whom is definitley CG!

Very cool!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

I'm a big Pixar fan, hardly alone judging by the money they make, but I think the shorts should get more attention.  Lots around, a favorite is "Jack-Jack Attack" (based on "The Incredibles"):

A 2D feature film that may not be as well known is "The Triplets Of Belleville", 7.8 at IMDB, nominated for 2 Oscars.  Trailer here:

• A3DLoverA3DLover Posts: 198
    The original metropolis was pretty good, i read decades ago in sci fi mag that special effects guys would use needles modeling knives and dyes applied directly to the film for special effects. I tried it on a old 2 minute super 8 reel of frankenstein and worked pretty good got lightning like effects but it does comprimise the integrity of film itsself lol. Also one of my early faves is Forbidden Planet
    A3DLover said:
    The original metropolis was pretty good, i read decades ago in sci fi mag that special effects guys would use needles modeling knives and dyes applied directly to the film for special effects. I tried it on a old 2 minute super 8 reel of frankenstein and worked pretty good got lightning like effects but it does comprimise the integrity of film itsself lol. Also one of my early faves is Forbidden Planet

Metropolis 1927 Film - English Version (~2 hrs)

Steve K said:

I'm a big Pixar fan, hardly alone judging by the money they make, but I think the shorts should get more attention.  Lots around, a favorite is "Jack-Jack Attack" (based on "The Incredibles"):

A 2D feature film that may not be as well known is "The Triplets Of Belleville", 7.8 at IMDB, nominated for 2 Oscars.  Trailer here:

Very nice! I love all of this stuff!

• Here is few more, lol ...

cool

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

Ralph Bakshi - mentioned above (Fire & Ice), also did 'Wizards', with some very progressive animation and compositing at the time, 'Cool World' (Brad Pitt, Kim Basinger), with great human/animated mixing, and of course 'Fritz the Cat', which was very notable for it's (at the time) edgy drug/political/sexual content, as-well-as costing $850K, and making $90Million in 1972 dollars - wow...

His work is rough but gutsy and effective, and can inspire style decisions. I just scored the DVD of 'Wizards' at wal-mart for $5 (on the rack, not in the bargain bin), which includes a great interview about the early animation industry and his career through it all. (Wizards was doing really well until 'Star Wars' came out two weeks later - heh - timing..., and Mark Hamil (luke from SW) did some voicing in Wizards - all fascinating stuff).

Great Thread - relative to DAZ, anyone who hasn't seen 'Rosa' on youtube (heavy DazStudio use), or 'Modern Times' (Carrara CG, on Vimeo), you've got to check them out. Look for sci-fi-funk for a variety of chapters in his great series, and naturally in this community, Wendy(currently ID as ToeJam), Dart, JoePingleton, with tests from Philw, 3DAge, DimTheory, mmoir, etc.

This is the brilliant stuff that makes my DS/Carrara/Bryce/Poser-based quest feel reachable!

Sony-Playstation-based 'Kara/Quantic Dream' (Brilliant PlayStation-based demo/test animation, also both youtube and vimeo) is the kind of production/story that drives my dreams.

Disney's 'PaperMan' for a good short CG-based Cell animation sample that is insprational (story and NPR CG-possibilities) as well. Take a look at ToeJam's latest Carrara NPR animations as well - really getting some brilliant stuff going.

DutchWorkingMan had some great DS/Carrara/Anime-Studio -based NPR/cel animation stuff going (older but showed the potential) on youtube. Maybe someone can find a working site for his work (looks like he pulled his youtube stuff).

Gotta go render - sorry no links, can't get 'em from here, but google, vimeo, and youtube search all work well.

cheers,

--ms

mindsong said:

Ralph Bakshi - mentioned above (Fire & Ice), also did 'Wizards', with some very progressive animation and compositing at the time, 'Cool World' (Brad Pitt, Kim Basinger), with great human/animated mixing, and of course 'Fritz the Cat', which was very notable for it's (at the time) edgy drug/political/sexual content, as-well-as costing $850K, and making $90Million in 1972 dollars - wow...

His work is rough but gutsy and effective, and can inspire style decisions. I just scored the DVD of 'Wizards' at wal-mart for $5 (on the rack, not in the bargain bin), which includes a great interview about the early animation industry and his career through it all. (Wizards was doing really well until 'Star Wars' came out two weeks later - heh - timing..., and Mark Hamil (luke from SW) did some voicing in Wizards - all fascinating stuff).

Agreed. A real visionary filmmaker. I often enjoy typing his name: Ralph Bakshi, into YouTube and seeing what kinds of interviews and stuff I can find. Wow... Wizards at Walmart?!!! I'm gonna have to check!

mindsong said:

Great Thread - relative to DAZ, anyone who hasn't seen 'Rosa' on youtube (heavy DazStudio use), or 'Modern Times' (Carrara CG, on Vimeo), you've got to check them out. Look for sci-fi-funk for a variety of chapters in his great series, and naturally in this community, Wendy(currently ID as ToeJam), Dart, JoePingleton, with tests from Philw, 3DAge, DimTheory, mmoir, etc.

This is the brilliant stuff that makes my DS/Carrara/Bryce/Poser-based quest feel reachable!

Agreed! Oh... I love Rosa! I watch that one several times a year!

Modern Times: Thread Here

http://vimeo.com/17631561

Making of

http://vimeo.com/17761334

...a bunch of the other cool stuff mentioned in the above quote can be found within the pages of: ► Learning CARRARA and need some help?

mindsong said:

Sony-Playstation-based 'Kara/Quantic Dream' (Brilliant PlayStation-based demo/test animation, also both youtube and vimeo) is the kind of production/story that drives my dreams.

Wow! Never Saw "Kara" before! Check this out!

...and the Behind the Scenes:

mindsong said:

Disney's 'PaperMan' for a good short CG-based Cell animation sample that is insprational (story and NPR CG-possibilities) as well. Take a look at ToeJam's latest Carrara NPR animations as well - really getting some brilliant stuff going.

DutchWorkingMan had some great DS/Carrara/Anime-Studio -based NPR/cel animation stuff going (older but showed the potential) on youtube. Maybe someone can find a working site for his work (looks like he pulled his youtube stuff).

Gotta go render - sorry no links, can't get 'em from here, but google, vimeo, and youtube search all work well.

cheers,

--ms

OMG! Paperman! (made me cry)

Sorry... can't find any of DutchWorkingMan's videos anymore :(

Great stuff, mindsong! Thanks!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited October 2016

Completely consumed by that other life right now, so THANKS for taking the time to dig up those links for everyone!

I gotta go look at the Kara/Quantic Dream's back-story - that short tugs at the corners of my soul - not sure why, but it just does. I wanna do something like that for the world too - hence my obsession with this and the community here, as I think it's a viable way to get there. I sense this same sentiment (if not desperation) in almost everyone in 'here', and y'all keep it alive, so thanks to all!

(thanks to all for the previous links as well, as even though this thread was kind of 'necro-d', it kind of timeless.)

Dart, in our walmart, they've got the usual bargain-bins, but 'Wizards' was back in the racks near the anime/animation/obscure stuff. I'll grab you a copy from here if you can't find one there (goes for anyone, if they have enough). Mr. Bakshi said it was the only DVD he re-did because he thought the star-wars timing interfered with the ability for his audiences to see what he thought was a worthwhile piece. A bit 70s, but still a good watch today!.

Back on topic: Lastly, someone close-to-me is doing anime w DS, which has me sucked into that world (NPR 3D is pretty cool though), and a new video/anime/song called 'Shelter' that has garnered 2 million hits in 2 days, for good reason. Even if the viewer doesn't 'go for' anime, the effects and the editing are brilliant, and the song is catchy. There are some seriously talented folks out there. From my read, it's a mix of traditional animation and very bryce/carrara-like 3D background world building, and I think she uses an old version of Carrara on her tablet moving a tree in her digital world :)

Compelling story and simply well-done.

(ETA - I'd be completely remiss in not mentioning my animation hero: Hayao Miyazaki - where almost every frame in his productions is a masterpiece - with special affection for 'spirited away')

I'm glad this thread has been revived.

cheers to all,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited October 2016

I always preferred the animated version of Lord of the Rings from 1978.

I was in something like the 5th grade when I saw it with my older sister's friends for her birthday. I had no idea what it was at the time.  I still like it better than the modern version. To this day I have no idea why the same people didn't create the second half. The Return Of The King animated version was...so disappointing in comparison.

Post edited by DesertDude on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I think they just couldn't get it funded, which was a shame. :(

mindsong said:

Back tracking on this thread I didn't realize Ralph Bakshi was responsible for so much, especially not knowing who he is.  blush

I remember seeing Wizards long ago as a VHS rental. Fire & Ice I missed, but just watched the documentary Dartanbeck mentioned. Cool stuff, and now makes sense fitting stylistically with the animated Lord of the Rings. I don't own the movie, but own the soundtrack by Leonard Rosenman, and heard similar sounds in that documentary. Intersesting.

I think they just couldn't get it funded, which was a shame. :(

Yes, that is a total shame.