Toggle Switch models

Anyone know of toggle switch models that will work with DS? Even a small bank of switches. Need to install so my heroine's post-apocalytpic vehicle can have some goodies, like nitrous, smoke bombs, ejection seat, flame throwers, you know, standard commuter stuff.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

What style of toggle switch?

• Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 393

Something like this, but doesn't need the behind the scenes detail. Something I can inset into a plane or stretched cube primitive and switch on and off.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,859

The Electric Discipline product has a couple on the control box. Maybe you could extract them with the geometry editor and use them. The promo makes them hard to see, so I don't kno wif they'd have the detail you want.

Thought this seemed like an interesting project, so this is what I've got so far:

switch housing.png
    1280 x 720 - 177K

Well, this was a fun little experiment. Give this a try.

zip
    zip
    Switcheroos.zip

Wow Gordig! Thanks!

Unfortunatel I get an error when trying to use it. See attached screenshot.

Switch error.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 188K

It was my first time creating a product, so I’m not surprised something went wrong. I’ll do a bit of troubleshooting and repackage.

Lol I feel your pain. If you want to take this off the forum I can give you my email.

Don't take it off the forum! It looks like a useful item. You might even consider putting it on a sharing site like SharCG after you have the package debugged.

Take 2.

zip
    zip
    Switcheroos.zip
    4M

Still getting errors, pretty much the same ones.

I found one problem, in the path name. You had "data\Gordig\Switcheroos\Toggle Switch - Bat\Morphs\Gordig\Switcheroos\position.dsf" when it should have been "data\Gordig\Switcheroos\Toggle Switch - Bat\Morphs\Gordig\base\position.dsf", meaning you had the right path the first time. Same with the "default.dsf". I fixed those paths, but as far as I can tell, "toggle switch.dsf" doesn't exist in the archive.

The adventure continues. Time for a natural 20! 

edited June 2020

So to clarify, this is the only error I'm getting after fixing the path names

Switch error2.jpg
    428 x 541 - 16K
    Post edited by Steel Rat on
    edited June 2020

I created a new runtime just for this project, installed it myself, and noticed the same issue. What's missing now is the actual geometry, and I'm not sure how to fix that. I've figured out how to get rid of the error message, but it still just shows up as a box. I'm not sure what I need to save in order to generate the geometry. I'll track down a tutorial.

I re-modeled the bat (the old one had some jagged edges due to low poly count on the tip) and beveled the inner surface of the shaft, which had the cumulative effect of more than doubling the switch's range of travel. When I finished modeling and imported to DS last night, I'd already forgotten how DS's byzantine and strange rigging system worked, so I had to re-learn it. I should be a lot faster at finishing future iterations and other projects.

Next step: figuring out how to lower the poly count, because the polygons are INSANE for something this small. I may also complete the two nuts so that they're properly beveled and threaded, even though it doesn't actually matter.

Here's the new one. All four parts of it are seperate material zones, so you can apply whatever shaders you want. I may also model a slightly different bat with a plastic tip.

Switch.png
    1000 x 1000 - 861K
    Post edited by Gordig on

That looks awesome! But yeah, I don't plan on any close-ups with it, so an insane poly count would be... insane.

Maybe just post it as an OBJ? As long as the pieces are separate, I can accomodate.

I THINK I've got it figured out now. Now that I'm actually including the geometry, the outrageous poly count balloons the zip past the file size limit, so here it is: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvdvtDX-RX21g9RODOpiY-IYJZKHDw?e=kLFTb1

IT WORKS!

I still get that one last error, but I think that's a leftover, since I didn't remove the old stuff. But it loads, the switch positions work, and with a metal texture it looks amazing!

Switcheroo1.png
    875 x 875 - 3M

Woohoo!

I have  no idea what the poly count is on this, don't know how to see that in DS. I thought there was a way to decimate a mesh, make it lower res. But here's a full render.

I hope your journey through Byzantium wasn't too traumatizing.

Again, MANY MANY thanks!

SwitchPanel1.png
    1500 x 1500 - 2M

And here it's mounted on the dashboard. Cleanest thing in the car!

DailyCommute.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 2M

Oof, those car textures are pretty rough. Glad it's working out for you, though. I made one change that nearly quartered the poly count, and I'm working through the other parts, so I should get it to a pretty manageable size before long. After that, a paddle-style switch, then some rockers and press-button switches, which will be a lot easier.

Yeah those interior car textures are pretty low res.

Sounds like it will be an awesome set! Add some panels, with user-changeable labels. I'd buy it!

Scene Info pane will tell you the poly count of an ogject.

Thanks Barbult.

So the Genesis 8 female in the scene has about 80,000 total faces. Just one of the toggles has over 1 million, so yeah pretty insane. I think realistically something like that shouldn't have more than 5k. But I don't know that much about it.

edited June 2020

I got them down in the 20K range. A saner man than I would have used normals and/or displacement for the knurling and threading.  

Post edited by Gordig on

It might be all those modeled threads on the nuts?? That might be more efficiently done with texture maps on a flat cylinder, especially if it is not meant to be examined at close range. I bet this could be reduced a lot. Also, the modeling could be done at lower resolution and subD could be used in Daz Studio to smooth the curves. I'm not a very experienced modeler myself, so take my ideas with a grain or two of salt! I applaud Gordig for digging in and working on a solution for you.

No, it’s definitely the threading, and to a lesser extent the knurling on the upper nut. I’ll look into making a displacement map. 

Gordig said:

No, it’s definitely the threading, and to a lesser extent the knurling on the upper nut. I’ll look into making a displacement map. 

Remember that displacement works great in 3Delight, but not so great in Iray. A low resolution model will need a high subD level to resolve that amount of displacement. For something viewed from a little distance away, normal maps will be much more efficient in Iray than displacement maps. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

a PA could of course make HD thread morphs

I applaud Gordig for digging in and working on a solution for you.

Absolutely!!

So I'm bringing this into Hexagon, and Decimating several times to get the poly count down. But when I send it back to DS, I'm not sure how to retain the parts. It just comes in as one object.