Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885
    edited June 2020

Oh boy do I hate doing texture work.

lss.png
    563 x 1000 - 1022K
    Post edited by Gordig on

It also occurred to me that it would be nice if the nuts on the toggle and rotary switches were movable, so what do you think would work better: if the nuts (and I'll make a washer, too) were movable and hideable parts of the switch? Or if they were separate, parentable props?

• Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 394
    edited June 2020
    Gordig said:

It also occurred to me that it would be nice if the nuts on the toggle and rotary switches were movable, so what do you think would work better: if the nuts (and I'll make a washer, too) were movable and hideable parts of the switch? Or if they were separate, parentable props?

Not sure. I definitely wouldn't spend time trying to make morphs for it. At most I'd just make them parented objects to the main.

Light switch looks good. However, I've never seen one with a phillips screw, they're always flat tip, and the same color as the plate. They're also usually beveled so they only raise a little above the plate.

Post edited by Steel Rat on
    edited June 2020
    Steel Rat said:
    Gordig said:

Not sure. I definitely wouldn't spend time trying to make morphs for it. At most I'd just make them parented objects to the main.

Honestly, they're pretty close to the same amount of work, so I'm more concerned about what you would rather have as the user.

Steel Rat said:

Light switch looks good. However, I've never seen one with a phillips screw, they're always flat tip, and the same color as the plate. They're also usually beveled so they only raise a little above the plate.

Yeah, but my house is garbage, so that's what I had to reference from.

edit: I'm definitely planning to do a flat head option and beveled versions, but this is just what the initial model looks like. The screws are a separate surface, so you can texture them however you want. Also, since the on/off labels on the actual switch are just bump and normal maps, you can apply any shader you want and apply them after the fact.

Post edited by Gordig on

Honestly, they're pretty close to the same amount of work, so I'm more concerned about what you would rather have as the user.

I think making them parented objects gives the user more flexibilty in this case. As opposed to the actual switches, where the precise position is important, and a morph or dial is preferable.

Yeah, but my house is garbage, so that's what I had to reference from.

edit: I'm definitely planning to do a flat head option and beveled versions, but this is just what the initial model looks like. The screws are a separate surface, so you can texture them however you want. Also, since the on/off labels on the actual switch are just bump and normal maps, you can apply any shader you want and apply them after the fact.

Sounds good to me.

edited June 2020

I've added a few more models and made some refinements, but I also posted a thread in the Commons asking for beta testers.

Switch3roos.PNG
    989 x 1128 - 167K
    Post edited by Gordig on

You know I'm a beta tester.

Awesome list of stuff!

Just discovered the polygon reduction object in C4D, so time to export and rig the toggle switches for, like, the 7th time.

Hey Gordig, I can't get to the private messages any more. Haven't been able to all day on two different machines. Something's up...

Weird. I was wondering how you were getting the labels on those buttons to look so clean. I haven't spent much time playing with the LIE editor, and as I mentioned just a few posts earlier, I hate doing texture work generally, so all my attempts have failed. The part that's supposed to be transparent is black, even when I use a mask.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,859
    Gordig said:

Weird. I was wondering how you were getting the labels on those buttons to look so clean. I haven't spent much time playing with the LIE editor, and as I mentioned just a few posts earlier, I hate doing texture work generally, so all my attempts have failed. The part that's supposed to be transparent is black, even when I use a mask.

Don't use a PNG with transparency for an Cutout Opacity mask. It should be a black and white grayscale image (PNG or JPG) without transparency. Black is masked and white is visible.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,130
    edited July 2020

these rocker style switchs are from ghastlys sf gadgets I think... I can check if you want ... I know I kbed it. 

shipwreck 4.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 786K
    shipwreck 5.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by alan bard newcomer on