The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited September 2020

Potatos are one of those things I treat like dumplings or noodles , they don't go in the "base" stew , but peas, corn, green beans ,mushrooms ,homminy,spinache broccolli ,califlower, black eyed peas ,tomatos ,squash,etc. can all find thier way into the base stew ,when thawed the base can be eaten as is or thinned with water or broth to make a soup, I don't do many creamy, or milk based  though ......

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2020
    McGyver said:
    Chohole said:
    kyoto kid said:

... Mmmm... Stew... I'm a sucker for yankee pot roast or a hearty beef stew.

..same here.  

beef  stew    with dumplings    yum!

I dunno... what kinda dumplings are we talking about?

Edited to add... Dang it, your reckless dumpling talk made me want some of the Korean pork dumplings that occasionally inhabit my freezer...

I'm all out!

crying

dumplings that go into stews in the UK are made with flour and beef suet as the base mix.  flavour with herbs to suit.  Place in the top of the stew for the last 20 minutes or so of cooking.   https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/dumplings

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Mmm... beef stew. Umami heaven.  My chef, Dinty Moore, is great at it.heart

• Minor whinge: landscape generation is annoying and borderline unpredictable.

Non-comlaint: nice baked tofu in Korean chili sauce over jasmine rice for lunch.  So good... SO HOT!

Back to it...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Complaint:  I had apparently forgotten the olden days when you couldn't get decent fruit out of season.  For the past few decades most fruit has been available from places like Chile and South Africa when the same fruit is out of season in the northern hemisphere, so if you shop carefully you can get good fruit year round.  In these pandemic days we're dependent on delivered food, and suddenly the fruit that was high quality for the past six months has gotten very hit-or-miss.  My wife's powerful gathering instinct and her equally powerful caution with infectious diseases are fighting it out, like in the sci-fi short story "Runaround".

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Complaint:  I had apparently forgotten the olden days when you couldn't get decent fruit out of season.  For the past few decades most fruit has been available from places like Chile and South Africa when the same fruit is out of season in the northern hemisphere, so if you shop carefully you can get good fruit year round.  In these pandemic days we're dependent on delivered food, and suddenly the fruit that was high quality for the past six months has gotten very hit-or-miss.  My wife's powerful gathering instinct and her equally powerful caution with infectious diseases are fighting it out, like in the sci-fi short story "Runaround".

One of the things I miss about living in NYC is the fruit markets... at least in Queens... biking back from work I'd stop by one almost every other day... lots of fruits and salads in those days.

Most of the supermarkets on the island (around here) have crummy fruit... there are a few places that are farther away that have decent stuff though.

I didn't notice an overall drop in availability though... maybe off and on with certain fruits... strawberries seemed to go extinct for a while.

• I've been doing more on-line shopping for food stuffs, canned, boxed & prepared stuff not fruit, liquids & meats (although they are available too for $$$) but along with the greater dependence on delivered food, is the noticeable decline in delivery service.  Especially in the last few weeks.  The last three deliveries have been late by a couple of days.  Well, that's OK, I can live with that and the food isn't terribly perishable.  But today I finally gave up on a food delivery that should have been delivered last Saturday.  It had been shipped but has disappeared.frown  Amazon sent me a nice note on Monday saying it was late and would be delivered on Monday or Tuesday, then on Wednesday I was getting fidgity.  Today I got a nice note from Amazon appologizing profusely that they were so late and I was now permitted to cancel my order.  I did. 

I also have an order from NewEgg, just a simple CPU fan that has been being tracked from Illinois to Ohio and back to Illinois and it should have been delivered here in NY State 6 days ago.  I don't think these incidences are coincidences.surprise  I'm being personally punished for yelling obscenities at the TV while watching the news.devil

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

stews  omg hungree , i luv the wee potatoes with melted cheese on top and a cuppa cream o potato soup.  s almost time to haul out the slow cooker for the cold weqther.heart the pennsylvania dutch will be producing the magic egg nog soon

havent et a steak in a real long time. cooking meat  cant see when to turn it over.

called my local place for a penne ala vodka and cheesie garlic bread.smiley 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941

I've been doing more on-line shopping for food stuffs, canned, boxed & prepared stuff not fruit, liquids & meats (although they are available too for $$$) but along with the greater dependence on delivered food, is the noticeable decline in delivery service.  Especially in the last few weeks.  The last three deliveries have been late by a couple of days.  Well, that's OK, I can live with that and the food isn't terribly perishable.  But today I finally gave up on a food delivery that should have been delivered last Saturday.  It had been shipped but has disappeared.frown  Amazon sent me a nice note on Monday saying it was late and would be delivered on Monday or Tuesday, then on Wednesday I was getting fidgity.  Today I got a nice note from Amazon appologizing profusely that they were so late and I was now permitted to cancel my order.  I did. 

I also have an order from NewEgg, just a simple CPU fan that has been being tracked from Illinois to Ohio and back to Illinois and it should have been delivered here in NY State 6 days ago.  I don't think these incidences are coincidences.surprise  I'm being personally punished for yelling obscenities at the TV while watching the news.devil

...I ordered a 128 GB USB stick from Newegg on Sept 3rd.  Now it usually takes about 2 - 3 days via UPS surface from the City of Industry, CA to my address in Portland OR. so with a holiday weekend I expected it would arrive on Tuesday.  Well Tuesday became Wednesday, which  became Thursday, which became Friday and I began to wonder.  I received notice it shipped early on the 4th so it should have arrived no later than Wednesday at worst.  Finally Saturday afternoon it appeared in my mailbox with a USPS shipping label which explained it all given the delays that have been occurring recently.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,902

Also, not everything that ships "from Newegg" comes from City of Industry any more.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Drove a car across town for an errand.  Involved passing through multiple school zones.  Lots of cars speeding past me in the school zones.  Unacceptable!  angry

edited September 2020
    Gordig said:

Also, not everything that ships "from Newegg" comes from City of Industry any more.

...this one had an origin "postmark" of City of Industry.  I am aware they have other sellers which is why I always check "Newegg Only" in the seller preferences during searches and make sure that the item ships directly from them, not one of their affiliates elsewhere (particularly overseas ones which can take weeks).  Sometimes it means paying a little more, but less chance of the item being "DOA" because of excess handling.  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    Diomede said:

Drove a car across town for an errand.  Involved passing through multiple school zones.  Lots of cars speeding past me in the school zones.  Unacceptable!  angry

...are the schools in session? 

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109
    edited September 2020
    Greymom said:
    kyoto kid said:

..yeah, I remember when Radio Shack was all about amateur radio (Ham and CB) and hobbyist electronics.  Used to go there a lot for electronics components like capacitors, resistors, transistors, vacuum tubes, solder, etc. .

When I was in high school (a long time ago in a previous millennium), in the Colonial Town area in Orlando, FL., there was Radio Shack, an Allied Electonics, and a Lafayette Electronics, plus the huge Colonial Photo and Hobby.  If you needed any components, this was like heaven.  We also had Skycraft Parts and Surplus, which carried an amazing array of stuff from the Aerospace industry, as well as military and industrial surplus.  Gradually these disappeared.  Lafayette closed, and Allied and Radio Shack merged, and are now gone.  Colonial Photo and hobby is a shadow of its former self.  But Skycraft is still there, this its light-up flying saucer on the sign.  Buying from NewEgg or whoever just ain't the same.

Skycraft?  Wasn't that the place up in WinterPark north of Orlando.  The place that had a big 3D flying saucer on it's elevated sign above the parking lot?  That place was full of amazing military and space center surplus gear.  It's the type of place that makes you realize how little you know about electronics.frown

Yes, that was it.  Flying saucer and missles were still there last time I was in the area.  One time I was looking around and noted that you could get 1) the huge amplifier tubes for a commecial radio station 2) US Air Force survival suits  3)  Stainless steel obstetrics "salad spoons" 4) Special machetes for harvesting and de-hulling coconuts   5) Low-voltage B&W monitors used on military aircraft 6) Various types of military rations 7)  Every kind of vacuum tube you an imagine  8) Immense old-school power supply capcitors (up to the size of coffee cans) 9) an amazing array of light-up switches, and there was a big sale on surplus stainless steel bedpans (oohh - shiny)!   Still have some of the stuff I bought there.  Used  a bunch of those switches and some other stuff to build a full-scale TARDIS console, a long time ago.

Post edited by Greymom on
    kyoto kid said:
    Gordig said:

...this one had an origin "postmark" of City of Industry.  I am aware they have other sellers which is why I always check "Newegg Only" in the seller preferences during searches and make sure that the item ships directly from them, not one of their affiliates elsewhere (particularly overseas ones which can take weeks).  Sometimes it means paying a little more, but less chance of the item being "DOA" because of excess handling.  

The last thing I bought that was "sold and shipped by Newegg" came from New Jersey.

edited September 2020

...are you in that region of the country?  Everything I have ordered from them over the years has shipped form City of Industry.

Seattle area.

Greymom said:
    Greymom said:
    kyoto kid said:

..yeah, I remember when Radio Shack was all about amateur radio (Ham and CB) and hobbyist electronics.  Used to go there a lot for electronics components like capacitors, resistors, transistors, vacuum tubes, solder, etc. .

When I was in high school (a long time ago in a previous millennium), in the Colonial Town area in Orlando, FL., there was Radio Shack, an Allied Electonics, and a Lafayette Electronics, plus the huge Colonial Photo and Hobby.  If you needed any components, this was like heaven.  We also had Skycraft Parts and Surplus, which carried an amazing array of stuff from the Aerospace industry, as well as military and industrial surplus.  Gradually these disappeared.  Lafayette closed, and Allied and Radio Shack merged, and are now gone.  Colonial Photo and hobby is a shadow of its former self.  But Skycraft is still there, this its light-up flying saucer on the sign.  Buying from NewEgg or whoever just ain't the same.

Skycraft?  Wasn't that the place up in WinterPark north of Orlando.  The place that had a big 3D flying saucer on it's elevated sign above the parking lot?  That place was full of amazing military and space center surplus gear.  It's the type of place that makes you realize how little you know about electronics.frown

Yes, that was it.  Flying saucer and missles were still there last time I was in the area.  One time I was looking around and noted that you could get 1) the huge amplifier tubes for a commecial radio station 2) US Air Force survival suits  3)  Stainless steel obstetrics "salad spoons" 4) Special machetes for harvesting and de-hulling coconuts   5) Low-voltage B&W monitors used on military aircraft 6) Various types of military rations 7)  Every kind of vacuum tube you an imagine  8) Immense old-school power supply capcitors (up to the size of coffee cans) 9) an amazing array of light-up switches, and there was a big sale on surplus stainless steel bedpans (oohh - shiny)!   Still have some of the stuff I bought there.  Used  a bunch of those switches and some other stuff to build a full-scale TARDIS console, a long time ago.

....hmm, large radio transmitter tubes, like we had at the radio station I used to work at. 

Gordig said:

Seattle area.

...interesting.  Never had anything arrive from their NJ centre. 

tempted to open a bottle of sweet roscato.  a thurs night why not?

..sounds like a plan.  

All out of Tonic or Ginger Beer so no gin drinks tonight. The only place that has cane sugar tonic water is Whole Paycheque and they've been out of it for weeks (6 pack of 12 oz cans 2.99$)   Everything in the other markets is either HFCS, diet (Aspartame) or a ridiculously expensive boutique brand (4 pack of "half size" cans @ 6$).

May brave the smoky air to go to the boozeteria across the street as they have my favourite ginger beer there for the same price as in the super marts.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    kyoto kid said:
    Diomede said:

...are the schools in session? 

Yes, parents had the option of having their kids attend in person or virtually.  Not sure what percentage chose what.  

...ah that does make a difference, as where I live, restircted speeds are usually in effect when kids are present.

death race 2000

• Mystiarra said:

death race 2000

Extra points for wheelchairs.

...I remember an old arcade game called Death Race that appeared in 1976, however according to Exidy (the manufacturer) it was not based on the 1975 film as the simple stick figures were supposed to represent gremlins instead of people.

i lost track of the equestria girl movies.

dunno what movies to look forward to.  dead pool 3?

Ive watched the entire stargate atlantis like 5 times. 

sick of blindness.  they keep checking my eye pressure but dont explain what it meqns.
    they ultrasounded my eyes.  retinas still attached. sounds a good thing

dragonquest 8 doesnt seem to be about a dragon.

i woke up this morning, might be my big accomplishment for the day

edited September 2020

...hang in there.  

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    kyoto kid said:

...hang in there.  

+1

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    Mystiarra said:

i lost track of the equestria girl movies.

dunno what movies to look forward to.  dead pool 3?

Ive watched the entire stargate atlantis like 5 times. 

sick of blindness.  they keep checking my eye pressure but dont explain what it meqns.
    they ultrasounded my eyes.  retinas still attached. sounds a good thing

dragonquest 8 doesnt seem to be about a dragon.

i woke up this morning, might be my big accomplishment for the day

You have rights as a patient. Ask them to explain in plain English. I believe they will. Be strong. Be well.

This discussion has been closed.