The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

temps dropping tnite.  fall is a comin

time to break out the amaretto.cheeky

i been wanting to try highland park.  i heard is tasty

the rennfaire should be going on up in tuxedo ny, covid prolly cancelled it.

cant play witcher. cant play final fantasy ur elder scolls  .  cant read a pern novel.  cant cook.  cant render.  got no reaston to be at the moment.   camt go for a walk.

there isnt the rioting and looting locally. no fires.  stuff to be grateful for

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940

...yeah, the city of Portland moved their annual Rose festival back to this month, then cancelled it. The county and city are still only at COVID recovery stage 1 (of 4) with no change of status in the foreseeable future save for maybe back to full shutdown mode if things become worse what with the approaching flu season. 

Kind of got used to no sports particularly considering all of the more serious matters unfolding.  Yeah, MLB is doing a "short season", the NBA currently is in the playoffs after restarting their shortened season (by 20 games) last month, and the NFL kicked off its season on Thursday.  It's just not the same watching them play to empty arenas and stadiums as it has to have an affect on the players not having their fans cheer them on (NBA teams [save for Orlando and Miami] are not even allowed to play in their hometowns/states).  No matter who wins the NBA or MLB titles this year, there will be a big  "✱" next to it.  Meanwhile, two of the major college conferences, the Pac 12 and Big 10 announced they were cancelling their fall sports seasons.  

I think the NCAA did the right thing by cancelling the March Madness tournament last spring.  The NBA and MLB should have done the same and just waited until next year. 

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited September 2020

Old photo I found that I took some years ago by a creek that was just down the road from my old home:

I took a few more with some other figurines of mine, but this is my favorite~

raptor_photos_3_by_sylxeriaguardian_d7ga4yk-fullview.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 168K
    Post edited by Rezca on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    edited September 2020

And now for something completely different:  I hate to break the dismal mood, (not that I don't understand the severity) but today was a lovely day here.  High 60s, bright, sunny, low humidity, fresh autumn smelling, leaves beginning to fall.devil  I even got out of the house and toddled on up to the grocery store for necessities (bread, milk, potatoes, eggs, lotto ticket, etc.)

Non-complaint:  Success on the file-sharing front.  Well, at least for the moment.  I have all 5 machines up and running, all of them see themselves and everybody else.  Yay!  It turns out that the problem with "George" was that after I had done a "RESET Network" operation, I'd forgotten to change the mode from the default of "Public" back to "Private".  I'd remembered it for all the others, but by time I'd gotten 'round to resetting George the one single after-reset task that needs to be performed, had been forgotten.  Holes in my brain.sad  Then I went upstairs and turned on "Atlas" and even he joined the party.  Yay!  Everybody in my network's happy.  I haven't seen that in about six months.  Let's see how long it will last.  indecision

Just for information, basically all the network settings are untwiddled after the reset except that each machine has been put in "Private" mode.  Also all operating systems are currently updated to Win10 version 2004(specifically 19041.508 as reported by the "winver" command) which came out just a couple days ago.  EXCEPT for the laptop which is still back on version 1909(specifically 8363.1082) because Microsoft says 2004 isn't ready for my laptop yet.  But even the laptop is behaving.  So either the gods are being benevolent or the moon is blue or somewhere there are ducks all in a row, but my network is finally working the way it's supposed to. Happy, happy, joy, joy.smileysmiley

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

i heard theres a train station in Wales and the name is like 20 syllables to say

• Glad to see you are home and chomping on waffles, Mystiarra!

Have you tried books on tape??Have you read/listened to the Robin Hobbs rainwild dragon books?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Mystiarra said:

i heard theres a train station in Wales and the name is like 20 syllables to say

Yes

• I'd like to complain that I'd like to complain.  Complaining is problematic, as it seems my comlaints cause more complaints in some kind of perpetual motion of complaint-energy. So I guess I'm complaining about complaints I have about complaints generated by complaining about my complaints.

I think my head imploded.  More tea is required.

Anyway, hello everyone!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

edited September 2020

I'd like to complain that I'd like to complain.  Complaining is problematic, as it seems my comlaints cause more complaints in some kind of perpetual motion of complaint-energy. So I guess I'm complaining about complaints I have about complaints generated by complaining about my complaints.

Anyway, hello everyone!

Ah, a professional complainer.yesdevil  Hello!

edited September 2020

Complaint:  Arghhh... I knew it wouldn't last.  Network sharing issues again.  I turned off all my computers last night.  This morning I turned on my workhorse machine(NOX) for email & browsing and did my usual morning stuff.  Then I turned on my DAZzing machine(JANUS) and just for jollies looked at the network sharing status.  Arghhh... now NOX does not see itself but does see JANUS.  Whereas JANUS sees itself but does not see NOX.  So I turned on my laptop (LAPTOP) and he is instantly registered at NOX and JANUS, and can see himself and JANUS but not NOX.  So finally I turned on GEORGE and as usual he can see himself as well as everybody else (NOX, JANUS,& LAPTOP)  but nobody else sees GEORGE.crying  OK, who moved a duck?angry

Head 'sploding 

(Note:  I was too dismayed to walk upstairs and turn on ATLAS.  I didn't need more bad news)

There would seem to be a pattern that if a machine can see itself, then others can see it, but then good-old GEORGE breaks the pattern because nobody can see him despite him seeing himself and everybody else too.  This is madness.sad

I'm beginning to wonder if the fact that some of these machines have two network connections (LAN and WiFi) are confusing the issue.  Although, I usually have the WiFi turned off except for the machines that need it.  Perhaps if I were to systematically turn off (disable) the unused connection on each machine, then do a "RESET Network" on all machines that a set of connections would be registered and established that would not change despite any possible race condition during boot up that might register the wrong connection too early.  Hmmm...  I'm an old time OS designer having designed and implemented several realtime, multi-process, multi-processor OS's from scratch I know what race conditions are and how to handle them.  But, from my earliest days being forced to deal with Microsoft OS's I've been flabbergasted by the potential race conditions built into and mis-managed by their code.  I really wish I could find a technical description of how MS network sharing is designed and implemented.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited September 2020

I'd like to complain that I'd like to complain.  Complaining is problematic, as it seems my comlaints cause more complaints in some kind of perpetual motion of complaint-energy. So I guess I'm complaining about complaints I have about complaints generated by complaining about my complaints.

Anyway, hello everyone!

Ah, yes the old cranial implosion...

I find the best way to remedy this is by carefully packing one's ears with small dried legumes... typically lentils or halved peas.
    Some traditionalists argue against legumes, insisting that rice is has better longevity as it takes longer to go stale, but lentils pack better and are less prone to settling out oddly after insertion. 
    Nothing ruins a business meeting more than having the side of one's head collapse in the middle of a discussion on regional cheese distribution.

Liquids like tea are of absolutely no use in this situation as it is more likely to pour out the other ear before you've managed to achieve the proper fullness and original contours of the head's manufafacter specifications... of course one could use a plug in the other ear, but there are too many orifices from which to spring leaks and why run the risk of having a jet of tea shoot out of your nose while discussing those cheese distribution figures... 

Granted, these days everyone is on Zoom calls or some other sort of video conferencing meeting and if that where to happen one could easily blame that on bad reception or something the pet monkey threw at the camera, but why bother with the added weight of a liquid or that annoying sloshing sound?

With the uptick in cranial implosions these last several years, experts have been warning of shortages in legumes and even rice, and ever since the pandemic, these materials have gotten more expensive and in some cases scarce due to hoarding.
    Several months ago there were many accusations of price gouging amongst the major online legume distributors... Although nothing came of that and prices continue to go up, there are alternatives. 

A recent article in Head Stuffers Quarterly suggested individuals consider turning from traditional materials and that they try using synthetic substances such a styrofoam beads or polyethylene pellets similar to those used in the manufacturing of beanbag furniture.  
    Traditionalists will probably bristle at the thought of thousands of years of legume headstuffing being cast to the wind just because of higher prices or scarcity, but realistically this is a change that has been coming for a long time.

Styrofoam is much softer and lighter, and while some would argue it is extremely flammable and improperly manufactured styrofoam pellets theoretically could outgass volatile fumes which could become trapped in the cranial cavity and should one go to smoke a cigar, vape or light up a doobie, lead to a massive explosion. 
    The odds of this are probably extremely small and even though there have been increased reports of head explosions, most have been attributed to increased stress or "hydrogen fluffing" (a new erotic tread that came about during the pandemic)... 

Whatever material you chose, ultimately it's up to an individual's personal preferences and one should never let the worry of that material exploding or squirting out during a cheese distribution meeting get in the way of what makes them happy.

Good, luck and enjoy.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Anyway, hello everyone!

Ah, a professional complainer.yesdevil  Hello!

I approve of complaints like these

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

• Complaint:  Arghhh... I knew it wouldn't last.  Network sharing issues again.  I turned off all my computers last night.  This morning I turned on my workhorse machine(NOX) for email & browsing and did my usual morning stuff.  Then I turned on my DAZzing machine(JANUS) and just for jollies looked at the network sharing status.  Arghhh... now NOX does not see itself but does see JANUS.  Whereas JANUS sees itself but does not see NOX.  So I turned on my laptop (LAPTOP) and he is instantly registered at NOX and JANUS, and can see himself and JANUS but not NOX.  So finally I turned on GEORGE and as usual he can see himself as well as everybody else (NOX, JANUS,& LAPTOP)  but nobody else sees GEORGE.crying  OK, who moved a duck?angry

Head 'sploding 

(Note:  I was too dismayed to walk upstairs and turn on ATLAS.  I didn't need more bad news)

There would seem to be a pattern that if a machine can see itself, then others can see it, but then good-old GEORGE breaks the pattern because nobody can see him despite him seeing himself and everybody else too.  This is madness.sad

My guess is demonic infestation.. Can you acquire enough holy water to soak the LAN cables the night of a full moon for 13 hours?

That should do the trick.

Yours is a very lamentable situation! :-(

• McGyver said:

Anyway, hello everyone!

Ah, yes the old cranial implosion...

I find the best way to remedy this is by carefully packing one's ears with small dried legumes... typically lentils or halved peas.
    Some traditionalists argue against legumes, insisting that rice is has better longevity as it takes longer to go stale, but lentils pack better and are less prone to settling out oddly after insertion. 
    Nothing ruins a business meeting more than having the side of one's head collapse in the middle of a discussion on regional cheese distribution.

Liquids like tea are of absolutely no use in this situation as it is more likely to pour out the other ear before you've managed to achieve the proper fullness and original contours of the head's manufafacter specifications... of course one could use a plug in the other ear, but there are too many orifices from which to spring leaks and why run the risk of having a jet of tea shoot out of your nose while discussing those cheese distribution figures... 

Granted, these days everyone is on Zoom calls or some other sort of video conferencing meeting and if that where to happen one could easily blame that on bad reception or something the pet monkey threw at the camera, but why bother with the added weight of a liquid or that annoying sloshing sound?

With the uptick in cranial implosions these last several years, experts have been warning of shortages in legumes and even rice, and ever since the pandemic, these materials have gotten more expensive and in some cases scarce due to hoarding.
    Several months ago there were many accusations of price gouging amongst the major online legume distributors... Although nothing came of that and prices continue to go up, there are alternatives. 

A recent article in Head Stuffers Quarterly suggested individuals consider turning from traditional materials and that they try using synthetic substances such a styrofoam beads or polyethylene pellets similar to those used in the manufacturing of beanbag furniture.  
    Traditionalists will probably bristle at the thought of thousands of years of legume headstuffing being cast to the wind just because of higher prices or scarcity, but realistically this is a change that has been coming for a long time.

Styrofoam is much softer and lighter, and while some would argue it is extremely flammable and improperly manufactured styrofoam pellets theoretically could outgass volatile fumes which could become trapped in the cranial cavity and should one go to smoke a cigar, vape or light up a doobie, lead to a massive explosion. 
    The odds of this are probably extremely small and even though there have been increased reports of head explosions, most have been attributed to increased stress or "hydrogen fluffing" (a new erotic tread that came about during the pandemic)... 

Whatever material you chose, ultimately it's up to an individual's personal preferences and one should never let the worry of that material exploding or squirting out during a cheese distribution meeting get in the way of what makes them happy.

Good, luck and enjoy.

All in all, an exceptionally edudite exposition!

Bravo! :-)

• Today is NOT a day filled with wonder and enchantment!

It's been a few years since I dabbled with DS.  Now that my life has reached a minimal level of chaos, I'm trying to re-learn, so I re-installed DS, DAZCentral, and fired it up.

I see it came with swords.  Excellent.

It even came with something that can be used as a temple.  Feeling confortable.

But... NO VICKY?!?!?!?

Now, I see clothing.  I see Genesis starters.  I see bits and bobs.  BUT I DON'T SEE A DARN VICKY ANYWHERE!

How can I revisit my glorious old days of NVIATWAS without a Vicky? Really? I have to save up to get a nakeds Vicky now?

I'm desolated.  That's my current complaint.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    Mystiarra said:

there is no rhyme for orange, even siri doesnt know

In some English dialects, 'door-hinge' works.  In his playful poem 'Errantry', Tolkien sorta half-rhymes 'oranges' with 'porridge' (and 'gondola' with 'wander in'):

There was a merry passenger,   A messenger, a mariner:   He built a gilded gondola    To wander in, and had in her   A load of yellow oranges   And porridge for his provender;   He perfumed her with marjoram   And cardamom and lavender...

It's delightful, especially read as a self-parody of Bilbo's poem about Earendil.  No, wait: it's the other way around!

• Completely Gratuitous Complaint Department:  More network sharing experiments. (perhaps someday I'll get this working well enough to rely on it for DAZzing between machines.)  OK, I've done what I suggested above, and made sure all computers only had one enabled network port either LAN or WiFi.  Then I did a "RESET Network" operation on all machines at the same time (just to avoid confusion as to which had or hadn't been reset), and lo and behold, all my machines are talking to each other again after they powered up and I made sure they were all in "Private" mode.  I might also node that I have done all of these operations on each machine while logged in as administratively privileged user, not a "Standard" user.  Not that I think it would make any difference, but just to eliminate variables.

Now, the question is will it survive a complete powerdown of all the machines, then a powerup?  Not sure I want to do it now, I have an appointment for Sunday afternoon tea on the patio of a friend.  But the point of this post being that I think I've discovered a reliable way of getting everything working properly, the "RESET Network" seems to work as long as you do everybody in the network at the same time.  Whatever conversations they have among themselves during bootup and network startup, seems to go OK as long as everybody's on the same blank page.

Whether multiple enabled (even if disconnected) network ports a machine have anything to do with the problem is still unknown.

Arghhh..., so many variables, so little time.frown

Anyway, hello everyone!

..better than...

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

Today is NOT a day filled with wonder and enchantment!

It's been a few years since I dabbled with DS.  Now that my life has reached a minimal level of chaos, I'm trying to re-learn, so I re-installed DS, DAZCentral, and fired it up.

But... NO VICKY?!?!?!?

Now, I see clothing.  I see Genesis starters.  I see bits and bobs.  BUT I DON'T SEE A DARN VICKY ANYWHERE!

How can I revisit my glorious old days of NVIATWAS without a Vicky? Really? I have to save up to get a nakeds Vicky now?

Maybe no Vicky's but you should find a couple of Genesis's in there male and female ........

...today was yet another day filled with smoke, however the sun was actually more visible than it has been in days, and almost cast shadows. 

About the only good part the lack of sun has really kept temperatures down.  Only been in the 60s the last few days, a big relief from the 90s we've been experiencing. Actually had to break out a heavy long sleeved shirt for the first time in months today. 

Had to do a market run as was out of milk, butter and maple syrup. (important for those brekkie hotcakes I've been making). 

• kyoto kid said:

Anyway, hello everyone!

..better than...

Well, certainly less messy, although the Swiffer WetJet does a decent job with wet organics.. 

• carrie58 said:

Today is NOT a day filled with wonder and enchantment!

But... NO VICKY?!?!?!?

Maybe no Vicky's but you should find a couple of Genesis's in there male and female ........

I don't know if it's that I'm an old fuddy-duddy or just incompetent (or both), but it' jjust somehow WRONG to not have a first render be a NVIATWAS render.as the first render.  Le sigh..

I'm making do with a foresty glen kind of thing, which is reminding me that this laptop isn't as powerful as I need.  There goes my fun money for the next 4 months.. all hail NewEgg..

edited September 2020

Non-complaint?: The continuing saga of Win10 file sharing woes.  Now thoroughly convinced that I am doing nothing wrong, and the problems are in no way caused by my bumbling actions,  I've found yet another page of information on the Internet about how Microsoft file sharing used to work, how it currently is supposed to work, and some things to check or modify to try to fix it.  NOTE that some of the operations are dangerous to you and your computer's sanity.frown  As expected, this morning when I turned on my computers, some of them had evaporated from the shared list.  NOX can not see himself and nobody can see GEORGE anymore, although everything else seem hunky-dory, until I rebooted NOX in a misguided belief that that would somehow fix things.  Now nobody can see NOX either.crying

So, I go Googling and find this page of information http://woshub.com/network-computers-not-showing-windows-10/ with some very nice explanations of the various old and new ways that Microsoft has muddied the network sharing waters during the last few years.  One of the things it mentions is the "MASTER BROWSER" the machine that assumes the role of examining the local network to find hosts and keep a table of which hosts are visible,  apparently this MasterBrowser host then serves as a query point for other hosts in the network wishing to share files & folders.  By using the suggestions on the web page listed above, I found that in my local network, GEORGE is currently the MasterBrowser, but nobody can see GEORGE in their network lists.  Arghhh...crying  

However, the good news is that I now have several pages of relatively recent (early 2020) information that purports to explain the various windows services and protocols that used to, and are currently supposed to, manage network sharing.  This is a treasure trove of new variables for me to muck up during my quarantine imprisonment.yesfrown  Yay?

• Complaint: I need US$135 to get the Aiko 6 Pro bundle!

I liked Aiko 3 more than I liked Vicky 4.  Aiko always had that special something.. her looks, her outfits, they way she held a sword and how easily she ran foes through.. just my kind of gal!

Her new incarnation is going to put me eating Top Ramen and Nong Shim Ramyen for 2 months!

Sigh, it's an ivestment in a bucket list project, so I shoulkd just shut up and eat tofu (which I like, especially in Thai curry)!

Still.. complaint.

• i'm still here.  I'm just looking a another email provider after someone broke into my account and logged into my Amazon and gaming accounts.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Have bad alergy this week, led to eyeball infections or something. Feels like my eye lids are made of sandpaper sometimes. Yesterday it looked almost like I was wearing a red burgaler mask like the cartoons haha. Fun times. 2020 rocks.

This discussion has been closed.