The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,902

Just checked current prices on the components I'm planning to buy for a new computer build. I saw a coupon for extra savings on the processor, which is nearly half the price of the total build, so I put that in the cart and applied the coupon. The discount was $7, on a $1349 processor. For those who don't excel at math, that's a .5% discount.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178

A worthy complaint!

Dana

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    Greymom said:
    Greymom said:
    kyoto kid said:

..yeah, I remember when Radio Shack was all about amateur radio (Ham and CB) and hobbyist electronics.  Used to go there a lot for electronics components like capacitors, resistors, transistors, vacuum tubes, solder, etc. .

When I was in high school (a long time ago in a previous millennium), in the Colonial Town area in Orlando, FL., there was Radio Shack, an Allied Electonics, and a Lafayette Electronics, plus the huge Colonial Photo and Hobby.  If you needed any components, this was like heaven.  We also had Skycraft Parts and Surplus, which carried an amazing array of stuff from the Aerospace industry, as well as military and industrial surplus.  Gradually these disappeared.  Lafayette closed, and Allied and Radio Shack merged, and are now gone.  Colonial Photo and hobby is a shadow of its former self.  But Skycraft is still there, this its light-up flying saucer on the sign.  Buying from NewEgg or whoever just ain't the same.

Skycraft?  Wasn't that the place up in WinterPark north of Orlando.  The place that had a big 3D flying saucer on it's elevated sign above the parking lot?  That place was full of amazing military and space center surplus gear.  It's the type of place that makes you realize how little you know about electronics.frown

Yes, that was it.  Flying saucer and missles were still there last time I was in the area.  One time I was looking around and noted that you could get 1) the huge amplifier tubes for a commecial radio station 2) US Air Force survival suits  3)  Stainless steel obstetrics "salad spoons" 4) Special machetes for harvesting and de-hulling coconuts   5) Low-voltage B&W monitors used on military aircraft 6) Various types of military rations 7)  Every kind of vacuum tube you an imagine  8) Immense old-school power supply capcitors (up to the size of coffee cans) 9) an amazing array of light-up switches, and there was a big sale on surplus stainless steel bedpans (oohh - shiny)!   Still have some of the stuff I bought there.  Used  a bunch of those switches and some other stuff to build a full-scale TARDIS console, a long time ago.

In NYC there is a section of lower Manhattan near the Chinatown area... most of the people I knew referred to it just as "Canal Street" because most of the shops were located on or around Canal street... it was a insane inventor's fantasy... surplus stores aplenty, and all sorts of machinery, electronic thingamabobs and technomawhozits... (as well as the home of two famous institutions "Canal Street Jeans" and Pearl Paint... the later which was frequented by many world famous artists before they made it big).
    It's all long gone, deliberately purged from the city in an effort to turn the area into a outdoor mall or something... camera part stores, motor and mechanical parts shops, techno gadget shops, surplus hardware, army-navy stores, glass and plastic materials stores... you name it and it was there... all replaced by GAPs, Foot Lockers and dozens of mobile phone stores.

Yay for progress... Megh.

This place you guys are talking about reminds me of it.

• Mystiarra said:

death race 2000

Extra points for wheelchairs.

Now I want to play Carmageddon!

• Mystiarra said:

i lost track of the equestria girl movies.

dunno what movies to look forward to.  dead pool 3?

Ive watched the entire stargate atlantis like 5 times. 

sick of blindness.  they keep checking my eye pressure but dont explain what it meqns.
    they ultrasounded my eyes.  retinas still attached. sounds a good thing

dragonquest 8 doesnt seem to be about a dragon.

i woke up this morning, might be my big accomplishment for the day

Eyes are tricky.. high eye pressure can mean glaucoma, my retinologist loves poking me in my eyes even if one isn't working!  Weird hobbies that dude has.

A detached retina is no fun.  Took 3 surgeries to fix mine, THEN a lens replacement.  No fun. Sometimes they can fix it with just a laser, tacking it down to the back of the eye.

Hang in there!

• Complaint: The NUC I want will set me back $1050 all p1mped out.. 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVidia video.  Ugh. I';m tired of Top Ramen and hot dogs!

Non-complaint: almost halfway decent reasonable weather, just 88f and overcast. Rain would be nice!  I should move to the SeaTac area, I guess.

Nothing else worth whining about.  Do carry on!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941

...just to note, this year Oregon experienced the hottest summer since records were first kept.  Two years ago Portland had 32 days of 90°+ temperatures (a few above 100°).

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178

Avast, me mateys, it be International Talk Like  a Pirate day!   Arrrrrrr!

Dana

I should move to the SeaTac area, I guess.

It's nice.

edited September 2020
    DanaTA said:

Dana

...aye me buckos.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    Gordig said:

It's nice.

...though on the expensive side.  Not as bad as the Bay Area or Manhattan, but getting there.

kyoto kid said:
    Gordig said:

It's nice.

...though on the expensive side.  Not as bad as the Bay Area or Manhattan, but getting there.

Sure, if you live more on the Sea side than the Tac side.

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/tacoma_wa/portland_or/costofliving

edited September 2020

...hmm interesting site. Milwaukee WI is even cheaper than Tacoma, particularly housing costs which are nearly one third of what they are in Tacoma.  Then again, they no longer have a very vibrant economy since all the industry went away 40 years ago, downtown is pretty sketchy and depressing compared to when I grew up there, and "real winter" is why I finally left.. 

Housing costs here in Portland are 70% higher than Milwaukee. Even so it would take a lot to get me to consider moving back there.

edited September 2020

...given all that's been going on lately...on a brighter note...Bue Skies and real clouds today for the first time in eleven days.

20200919_132747.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 966K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    DanaTA said:

Dana

lolcap.jpg
    500 x 293 - 278K
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited September 2020

Body is required so shiver me timbers

pirates12.jpg
    580 x 366 - 121K
    Post edited by TheKD on
    edited September 2020

..yarrrr found me some very  rare booty at the town marketplace today. 

For months, refill sizes of the hand soap I use were impossible to find, either at any of the markets in town or even online and pretty much gave up looking for it.  Well, while on my weekend market trip today I cut through an aisle in the natural/organics department to get to the produce section when I spotted a lone bottle of the golden liquid soap sitting almost by itself on a shelf there.  I immediately grabbed it, put it in my trolley, and went back to the health aid department to see if there were any more (I would have got a second one) only to discover nothing but other brands I don't use.  So my thinking is it must have been a stray bottle that had been around for a while, possibly one that someone either put in the wrong location or left there when they decided to get one of the organic brands instead (and it got pushed behind other products), or maybe they tired to hide it and forgot to come back.

Whatever the case, I'm just glad it was there so I don't have to keep buying and tossing those tiny plastic pump bottles out when they're empty. Now I have enough to get me through the next 5 - 6 months.

20200919_165119.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 946K
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited September 2020

Jackpot! Imagine this time last year, being told we would be happy about getting simple crap like handsoaps lol. Woulda been thinking loony bin.

Post edited by TheKD on

...indeed, who would have thought items we all take for granted like bog rolls (TP), paper towels, floor cleaner, and liquid soap would become almost as valuable (and as hard to find) as say, rare precious stones?

edited September 2020

...mmm Caturday Night Pizza Night.  No, it's not delivery, and definitely not DiGorno's.  Just a basic 4 cheese rising crust pizza from Kroger for 2.99$ (all Italian cheeses, no cheddar which would be sacralige) embellished with fresh Italian sausage seared in olive oil and organic onions and served with my favourite beer.

20200919_203323.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 1M
    20200919_203427.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 939K
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    edited September 2020

Non-complaint:  More Rachmaninoff.  Poking around in my music library while eating breakfast and catching up on email and web browsing I brought up the Rachmaninoff "Symphonic Dances"  I love the end of the 1st movement  from 10:30 to 11:45.  Especially the moments beginning at 10:44.  Just over a minute of delightfully hopeful music.  Of course all the rest of the 40 minute piece has its moments too, but I love the ending to that 1st movement.heart

Sergei Rachmaninoff (Серге́й Рахма́нинов): Symphonic Dances  (Note: click on "Watch on YouTube" link.)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited September 2020
    kyoto kid said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

...aye me buckos.

fun holidayheart

i asked siri if she can talk like a pirate,  turns out she had a couplr of phrases

mebbe the 'p' in pdf means pirate

dread pirate roberts  azz yuu wiiishhh

Post edited by Mistara on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    edited September 2020

Complaint:  Computer woes.  I have an old HP laptop (G60-642NR) about 10 years old.  Intel Pentium dual-core, 4GB.  Originally came with Win7-Home, has been upgraded through Win8, 8.1, and 10.  Nice machine, a little slow, but it serves well as portable machine for computer repair fix-it jobs during house-calls.  Rarely turned on, but kept up to date with all Win10-Home updates and driver updates.  Pristine condition, shiney, no blemishes or scratches, clean (I take good care of my toys).  It's even had the original 500GB HD replaced with an SSD.  Still a little laggy but much more responsive than it used to be.  There's nothing wrong with it except that from the beginning, the "SLEEP" mechanism sometimes fails to wake properly.  (*sigh*).sad

Not trying to fix it.  I suspect it's an original h/w issue.  It's just annoying that I can't put the machine to sleep by closing the lid and reliably expect it to properly wake up when I open the lid.  The s/w is awake but the screen just stays dark.frown  A power cycle always resolves it.

I keep looking for a reason to get a newer laptop but can't justify it for the little use that I give a laptop.  And from what I can see, laptops ain't cheap anymore.surprise  This old laptop has a purpose in life, he performs that purpose tolerably well, he's not yet ready to be put out to pasture.

Non-complaint:  Update on the File Sharing saga:  I've now had several days of testing the reliability of using "RESET Network"* action to  restore proper operation of my local network file sharing capabilites.  It always works IF I reset all the machines that I want to share files across the net.  Others in the network may or may not participate, but the machines that have been reset do play well with the other machines that have been reset.  They even remain on the play field if they go to sleep and are awakened.yes  However, they may lose their playfulness if they go through a shutdown/restart.no  Some network setup conversation is not getting done properly during boot-up.  I've tried booting different machines first and it has had no effect on the issue.indecision

*Note:  Remember after a "RESET Network" action you need to verify that the machine's network is in "Private" mode and file sharing is enabled.enlightened  Of course this all assumes that all your machines have already declared some files and folders that are permitted to be shared. (duh, I forgot that onceblush)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Shocking amount of Centaur nudity in the store. Just shocking.

Also... Free the Shoulder!

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Every day is talk like a pirate day for me... I just don't write like a pirate... people would be shocked to hear what I normally sound like.

Actually, scratch that... at this point nobody would be surprised by anything I do.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,880

Shocking amount of Centaur nudity in the store. Just shocking.

But they hide when they breed:

https://www.daz3d.com/catalog/product/view/id/039165 

edited September 2020

..a totally goregous sunny day today, mid 70s, light wind.  Heading out for a walk in a bit .  A far cry form a week ago when we were living in a sepia coloured world where I could barely see a couple blocks down the street. 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    TJohn said:

That is an otterly gorgeous image

• Confused:  New ad from OfficeDepot this morning.  I saw something I've not noticed before.  What is a "Portable Monitor"?  $100 for a 16x9 inch screen powered and fed by USB.  Why would someone want one?

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/762189/AOC-16-LED-USB-Powered-Portable/

This discussion has been closed.