The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,902
    edited September 2020

Confused:  New ad from OfficeDepot this morning.  I saw something I've not noticed before.  What is a "Portable Monitor"?  $100 for a 16x9 inch screen powered and fed by USB.  Why would someone want one?

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/762189/AOC-16-LED-USB-Powered-Portable/

Bigger screens for small devices, if nothing else. Imagine, for example, having one of those to use with a Nintendo Switch when you're on the go. You could also add a second monitor to a laptop.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    edited September 2020
    Gordig said:

Confused:  New ad from OfficeDepot this morning.  I saw something I've not noticed before.  What is a "Portable Monitor"?  $100 for a 16x9 inch screen powered and fed by USB.  Why would someone want one?

Bigger screens for small devices, if nothing else. Imagine, for example, having one of those to use with a Nintendo Switch when you're on the go. You could also add a second monitor to a laptop.

Oh. indecision

Do people carry Nintendo switches with them?  (just what is a "switch" anyway?)  My grandmother used to threaten me with a switch.surprise

I could understand if one wanted a bigger screen for a smart phone receiving a movie or similar.  But phones don't have USB outputs do they?  And if someone had a "pad" of some sort, wouldn't carrying a 16x9 extra screen kind'a defeat the purpose of having a small pad?  Seems to me like this is product looking for a purpose.  Anybody heard of that drug to combat "Restless Foot Syndrome" lately?frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited September 2020

So a few days ago, a game I really really loved was announced it'd be getting a sequel.  I heard someone say that on one of my YouTube videos, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to believe it. I couldn't check though since I had to go to work in just a few minutes. When I got home I launched my Switch and looked at the news and sure enough there it was.  Can't imagine the massive amounts of OMGYES I was feeling at the time!

The original released three years ago, or four if you count the Japanese release (It took us a year to get the localization, and I imagine if it weren't for Nintendo we might not have gotten one at all)  but the fact they're mentioning this on the international Nintendo News page and not *just* the JP one (as well as having English audio/subtitles unlike the 1st game's announcement trailers)  makes me hopeful they'll be going with a worldwide release like they did with their previous non-spinoff game.

But in spirit of the thread,  here's a complaint:  It's been four days since the announcement and it still feels like its been forever.  It's another week before a scheduled news drop, and the game itself isn't slated for release until next Summer - which feels like an eternity away  :<

Post edited by Rezca on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Fixing a computer on which the display isn't working onsite?  I wouldn't want one that big, but I've often longed for a small USB display for those cases.

Anybody heard of that drug to combat "Restless Foot Syndrome" lately?frown

Requip (Ropinirole)?  I use it and it works wonders.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Complaint inspired by Rezca's comment...
    Most video games take entirely too long for sequels these days... back in the late 90s, early 00s it was a bit ridiculous where sequels were being released every year (in a few instances, less than a year), which wasn't good because many sequels weren't that great, and at best were just a rehash of the original with different characters and storylines. 
    At some point things seemed to even out with two or so years between sequels and some decent improvements made... But now you have games that can take 6 or 7 years between sequels. 
    Sometimes the studios change hands, major staff changes occur and by the time the sequel comes out, it's like you get the feeling the people making decisions never actually bothered to look into what the game was originally about or what made it successful. 
    And don't get me started on moving everything to online gameplay and micro transactions. 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Do you think it would work on "Wandering Pancreas Syndrome"...? 
    I know a foot and a pancreas are a little different, but besides duct taping it in place, there should be something out there so one doesn't have to chase their pancreas around all the time or go looking for it every morning.

• McGyver said:

Do you think it would work on "Wandering Pancreas Syndrome"...? 
    I know a foot and a pancreas are a little different, but besides duct taping it in place, there should be something out there so one doesn't have to chase their pancreas around all the time or go looking for it every morning.

if your pancreas is getting out, then you have bigger problems.  However, if it's just shifting around inside then a few well placed stitches should work.indecision

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941
    edited September 2020
    McGyver said:

Complaint inspired by Rezca's comment...
    Most video games take entirely too long for sequels these days... back in the late 90s, early 00s it was a bit ridiculous where sequels were being released every year (in a few instances, less than a year), which wasn't good because many sequels weren't that great, and at best were just a rehash of the original with different characters and storylines. 
    At some point things seemed to even out with two or so years between sequels and some decent improvements made... But now you have games that can take 6 or 7 years between sequels. 
    Sometimes the studios change hands, major staff changes occur and by the time the sequel comes out, it's like you get the feeling the people making decisions never actually bothered to look into what the game was originally about or what made it successful. 
    And don't get me started on moving everything to online gameplay and micro transactions. 

...not just video games but 3D content as well, like the actual sequel to MilCat which we're still waiting on 15 years later.  Daz Cat is just a remake of the original with a little cosemtic upgrade.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited September 2020
    Chohole said:
    TJohn said:

That is an otterly gorgeous image

i renenbers uncle shmedlee at the sea world otter show

Post edited by Mistara on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321

There are small monitors, the norm is 5-7", for digital cameras. Mine uses the HDMI port, I don't know if any can use a USB port. The one I have won't, it has a battery pack for power.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=video+monitor+for+camera&amp;i=electronics&amp;crid=8EMA4P9GG7R6&amp;sprefix=video+monitor,electronics,209&amp;ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_13

edited September 2020

Complaint:  Arghhh... I have (had) some old email that sent me a password for access to special status that I paid for on a website.  I've since switched email programs and archived the old mail folders into a zipped and encrypted file.  I've rummaged through my archives and found the file but I have to find a way to read the email file.  But to read the email file I have to decrypt it and I've forgotten the password.surprise  It was a password that I used for years for encrypting all my major secrets kept locally on my machines and I knew it like the back of my hand so it was never written down, but a few months ago I changed my secret password and now the back of my hand is not so familiar.  Damn senility. (crap)sad

Non-complaint:  Recently the USPO (US Post Office) has been flummuxing up my mail.  Of the last 4 things I've ordered from Amazon or NewEgg, one was a week late, one was completely lost, one is now 10 days late and I'm about to try to cancel it, so it was with trepidation that I made another order from Amazon to replace the order that had gotten lost (I waited until I received a refund from Amazon).  The new order was for essentially the same items (food from the Amazon Pantry) and I ordered it last Saturday.  It arrived this morning (Monday) by post.  Go figure.indecision  (Yes, it was the new order, not the old order, although if the old order had arrived I would have thought about keeping it and keeping quiet until Amazon figured it out and asked for their money back.devil)

Documentation rule #27:  Never be afraid to state the obvious.  Yes, there IS an end user who will make every mistake.

All of the Basic Tests are data safe.  The Advanced Features menu has Erase options which are not data safe.

edited September 2020

Documentation rule #27:  Never be afraid to state the obvious.  Yes, there IS an end user who will make every mistake.

All of the Basic Tests are data safe.  The Advanced Features menu has Erase options which are not data safe.

That's how the Universe works.  Given the entirety of space and time, any event, unless it is forbidden, is inevitable.

I'm waiting for the announcement that some fermion has violated the "Pauli Exclusion Principle" before trying to jump through a brick wall.

edited September 2020

Non-complaint:  Music to DAZ by.  As an experienced Florida resident and avid SCUBA diver of its lakes, rivers, underground springs & caverns, lagoons, and ocean, this is my memory of Florida.

Frederick Delius:  "By The River" from his "Florida Suite" 

Delius is an interesting character.  Sent from England to Florida in the late 1800s as a youth to manage his father's orange plantation he spent a couple of years there but shortly returned home and continued his music career writing his signature style of very mellow and beautiful music.  His "Florida Suite" mirrors my preferred memories of Florida in all four of its movements ("Daybreak", "By The River", "Sunset", "Night").

Edited to complain:  I don't know where those images of mountains in the clip came from but it's NOT Florida!!! angry  Florida is a 150 mile wide, 400 mile long flat pile of sand sticking out into the ocean with a maximum height of 345 feet.surprise

edited September 2020

decaff   oh my  i m decaffinated.

safety tip  remember not to inhale when eating crumb cake.  the entenman's crumbcake dont taste the way i remember.  it's like heavier nows

i cant remember when i showered so is prolly time, no where to go til the 30rh, got time

mann if cocaine is anything like powder crumb cake sugar up my nose, never gonna touch the stuff

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449
    edited September 2020

Non-complaint:  Music to DAZ by.  As an experienced Florida resident and avid SCUBA diver of its lakes, rivers, underground springs & caverns, lagoons, and ocean, this is my memory of Florida.

Frederick Delius:  "By The River" from his "Florida Suite" 

Delius is an interesting character.  Sent from England to Florida in the late 1800s as a youth to manage his father's orange plantation he spent a couple of years there but shortly returned home and continued his music career writing his signature style of very mellow and beautiful music.  His "Florida Suite" mirrors my preferred memories of Florida in all four of its movements ("Daybreak", "By The River", "Sunset", "Night").

Edited to complain:  I don't know where those images of mountains in the clip came from but it's NOT Florida!!! angry  Florida is a 150 mile wide, 400 mile long flat pile of sand sticking out into the ocean with a maximum height of 345 feet.surprise

Since this is the complaint thread, and despite the soothing music, I need to point out that the 1800s are the first decade of the nineteenth century (or even the last year of the eighteenth century and first nine years of the nineteenth, for a true stickler), not the whole century.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    Gordig said:

Just checked current prices on the components I'm planning to buy for a new computer build. I saw a coupon for extra savings on the processor, which is nearly half the price of the total build, so I put that in the cart and applied the coupon. The discount was $7, on a $1349 processor. For those who don't excel at math, that's a .5% discount.

And today there's a new coupon for a whopping $10 off.

edited September 2020

Double post.  Never mind.frown

• Gordig said:
    Gordig said:

Just checked current prices on the components I'm planning to buy for a new computer build. I saw a coupon for extra savings on the processor, which is nearly half the price of the total build, so I put that in the cart and applied the coupon. The discount was $7, on a $1349 processor. For those who don't excel at math, that's a .5% discount.

Ooh, jump on it quick.  Before it disappears.devil

Gordig said:
    Gordig said:

...must be a purple banner that I didn't get. 

Also just saw the"12 Hour Sale promo after I finally finished with my morning duties as a "concerned citizen" slogging through about 200 emails.  Apparently it started last night and ended an hour and fifteen minutes ago (west coast time) as the coupons no longer seem to work.

Oh, and I guess the PA sale ended on Sunday as well.  Still haven't used my two monthly PC+ coupons either.

...I was referring to $10 off the $1349 processor in the post that I quoted.

...ah, thought it was an offer here as only some people get those purple banners.  With so many Daz sales and specials it's hard to tell.

edited September 2020

ghouls.  now ise receivin spam calls from cardiologists.  something called cardiologists north.  ickk  north hell wealth is a monster monopoly

when i hit 59.5 i'll  be in the 5.5 year medicare gap.

edited September 2020

Complaint:  Phone spammers.  I picked up my landline phone (Yeah, yeah, I know I'm still in the 20th century) today to make a phone call and apparently somebody was ringing in at the same time, I heard some garbled talk in the background of the conversation that I was having with a computer customer.  Regardless, I finish my phone business, hung up and set about waiting for her to deliver her computer for repair.  The computer comes, and I start repair.  Then 4 hours later I pick up the phone to call her back to come pick up her happy computer and my phone is talking at me.  WTF? surprise   So I listen and some woman asks "are you still there"?  Then the automatic message says "Press 1 for ..., press 2 for ... press 3 for ..." I still didn't pay attention to what the questions actually were but simply hung up figuring that that would terminate whatever call was in progress.  Nope! frown  She's baaack and still asking questions, which I now realize is an automated political poll from which I can not disengage.  None of my meager bag of tricks works.  It's determined to get some answers from me.  So after about 10 minutes of fruitless efforts to kill the messenger, I finally started answering questions randomly.devil  If you hear of strange things on the ballot in NY State in November, it was probably me mucking up their algorithms.laugh  But once the questions were answered, she thanked me and said "good-bye".  (*sigh*) 

The only pleasure I can get from that situation is that I hope she was on the phone for 4 hours asking "are you still there?".devil

edited September 2020

Never mind, answered my own question.  Still Poser-compatible stuff being submitted to the store;  it's just that critters are kinda lagging behind (Seeing a lot of props and environments in multi-format, but majority of the latest animals/creatures are DUF-only)

Post edited by Rezca on
    Rezca said:

Do creatures and critters still get submitted to the Store in Poser-friendly format or is DAZ mostly done with supporting the cr2 format?

Rezca said:

Do creatures and critters still get submitted to the Store in Poser-friendly format or is DAZ mostly done with supporting the cr2 format?

compat days seem long over.  doesnt work in carrara  either, even tho carrara is owned by daz
    the newer poser figures dont work in ds or ca. 
    exporting a cr2 from ds hasnt worked for me

• Gordig said:

My store sells Hylands Restfull Legs all day. Many customers say they've been taking it for years. Homeopathic and no known side effects or drug interferences and super cheap- about 7 $ at any natural or health retailer- wortth a try.

edited September 2020
    Mystiarra said:
    Rezca said:

Rezca said:

compat days seem long over.  doesnt work in carrara  either, even tho carrara is owned by daz
    the newer poser figures dont work in ds or ca. 
    exporting a cr2 from ds hasnt worked for me

Ehhh....  :/

I saw some props and sets that are in Poser-compat format, but if you want critters but don't want to use D|S then your'e so out of luck.  Maybe I might try the Blender bridge, then see if I can't export from there too... Though I have to sign out of this account to do that since DS doesn't want to run under an admin account.

I remember a few attempts at exporting a cr2 in the past.  I tried "The Constrictor" and "Tyrannosaurus 2".  The former - no matter what options I tired - always ended up as an imploded mess of geometry that only got worse if I tried to move any of the joints.  The Tyrannosaurus on the other hand, exported fairly well.  Weird!

Post edited by Rezca on
    edited September 2020

Complaint:  Phone spammers.  I picked up my landline phone (Yeah, yeah, I know I'm still in the 20th century) today to make a phone call and apparently somebody was ringing in at the same time, I heard some garbled talk in the background of the conversation that I was having with a computer customer.  Regardless, I finish my phone business, hung up and set about waiting for her to deliver her computer for repair.  The computer comes, and I start repair.  Then 4 hours later I pick up the phone to call her back to come pick up her happy computer and my phone is talking at me.  WTF? surprise   So I listen and some woman asks "are you still there"?  Then the automatic message says "Press 1 for ..., press 2 for ... press 3 for ..." I still didn't pay attention to what the questions actually were but simply hung up figuring that that would terminate whatever call was in progress.  Nope! frown  She's baaack and still asking questions, which I now realize is an automated political poll from which I can not disengage.  None of my meager bag of tricks works.  It's determined to get some answers from me.  So after about 10 minutes of fruitless efforts to kill the messenger, I finally started answering questions randomly.devil  If you hear of strange things on the ballot in NY State in November, it was probably me mucking up their algorithms.laugh  But once the questions were answered, she thanked me and said "good-bye".  (*sigh*) 

The only pleasure I can get from that situation is that I hope she was on the phone for 4 hours asking "are you still there?".devil

...at least it was allowing you choose a number on the menu. The ones I hate are those which require you to make a verbal response and then respond  with "I didn't understand that, would you repeat again?" or send you back to the main menu. 

This is why I'd never have Cortana, Alexia or Siri in my flat as I'd get so annoyed with any of them I'd  end up beating my hardware into to submission. 

A computer is a tool just lke a hammer, drill, or saw, not some personality to interact with. Remember hte bomb sequence in the film Dark Star

Post edited by kyoto kid on
This discussion has been closed.