Shape Gen & Shape Gen Plus for Genesis 3 & 8 (Commercial)

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869
    Zev0 said:

Oh those are some of my converted morphs listed or I think some are part of slosh's legacy packs. The randomizer will list only morphs on the figure. This product does not do any converting.

Since it only randonizes morphs that exist for the particular selected figure how is it different from SimTenero Randomizer2 ?

SimTenero product works for any figure or prop, but Shape Gen is only for Genesis 3 or 8.

Would like to see more example renders of different characters created with Shape Gen.

• The tool is fun and very easy to use. Just some caveats:

- Zeroing, as always in DS, takes an inordinate amount of time, though I don't think there's anything you can do to solve it.

- If you have a lot of morphs or pose dials selected, you'd better not have a high percentage, or your figure will become an unholy aberration.

- I would like to see a way to store values inside the interface, as playing around can easily generate interesting results that I would like to keep without interrupting a "play session."

- I would love to see a way to search morphs by their creator or product name to streamline the making of prests. This is specially important for people who have bought interactive licenses.

Other than these issues, I am enjoying using my face morphs packs to their fullest extent for the first time. Thank you.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,046
    Thanks for the feedback. Can you specify what you mean by store values inside the interface?
  • You are more than welcome. As for storing the values, let's say I am using your aging morphs to see how a particular character may look up aged by a bit. At this point I don't have a clear endpoint in mind, so I just hit the "Randomize Choice" button and see what happens. I do so a few times and a combination of morphs seems to do the job, but I am still not sure, so I would like to be able at this point to hit a button (let's say "store current values to slot 1") to save the result while I keep trying to see whether I can come up with something that fits better. At that point, I would hit "store current values to slot 2" and then load the first slot and then the second one to compare them. I know I can exit the script and save things as a shaping preset, but that takes far longer for the intended use case I am envisioning of the product.

It also occurs to me it may be useful to be able to set something as a base value upon which to build a new character. In this case, I just came up with an interesting face, but I am not completely satisfied, so I could set it as the new zero (so to speak) and each time I hit "Randomize Choice" the new random values are added or detracted to what was already there instead of setting it to zero first (so, if the "pointed noise 01" was at 20%, the new application at 0.2 would set it between 40% and 0% rather than -20% to 20%).

Also, after trying it a bit more I am really enjoying being able to quickly select/deselect areas of the face when I am happy with a given result and just want to vary the specifics. This could easily become addictive.

Ah ok I see what u mean. Thanks for the clarification.
    edited September 2020
    Hmmm studio has a memorize and restore feature. We will see how that can maybe be intergrated. Doubt you can get more than one slot but one is better than nothing. We will look into this after our first feedback meeting.
    Post edited by Zev0 on
  • Thanks, that is much appreciated.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited September 2020

Got to play a little bit.  Mariam is a fully randomized character. Every part has been randomized to some extent. (Tip: dont try to do the whole body at once....At least with the little time I had to play I did not get good results.)   I agree with  zombiecharger65 that the less amount of morphs the better.

MariumFaceTM92002.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 1M
    MariumTM92002.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 594K
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • Zev0, I will try to get some screen shots up and will play around with it a bit more. And I agree with the above poster about being able to select morphs by vendor or product as I do have a ton of morph sets but only use select ones. Right now, it just seems like I have to search them out of a giant list and  tick the morphs one by one. It would be simply amazing to be able to tick them by package or set. Not a deal breaker but it would definitely be an amazing selling point for the dummies who haven't bought this product yet! Loving it so far, even with the issues I am having. 

• I attached a few of the screenshots. I don't have an image hosting account anywhere, sorry for the inconveniece! The GC Morphs don't load where they should and that solves the issue of why they don't show in the search bar. The folder structure matches other morphs but they load outside of the actor, and that is a vendor issue. So, you are golden there. I've included a few screenshots to show that male body morphs load with the female ones, as I meantioned. Not sure if it has something to do with how the morphs are tagged but those were my main two concerns. I willl probably just end up selecting morphs manually rather then letting it decide randomly and this will advert any issues.   

Shape Gen 1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 362K
    Shape Gen 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 394K
    Shape Gen 3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 385K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,188

I made a couple. Both stated with basic G8F. One got some 3DU Toon morph in it, so I went with the toon theme on that one. The expressions were also mixed by Shape Gen.

edited September 2020

One thing that is confusing me is why Shape Gen is selecting morphs for parts of the head that I did not select. In this example, I selected only the nose, but Shape Gen selected a bunch of morphs that affect the whole head. Is there a way that I can make Shape Gen really only select morphs that are restricted to the area(s) that I selected? I mean, I can go in and uncheck all those head morphs, but it would be better if they weren't selected in the first place.

Screenshot 2020-09-06 15.35.17.png
    900 x 739 - 330K
    Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:

One thing that is confusing me is why Shape Gen is selecting morphs for parts of the head that I did not select. In this example, I selected only the nose, but Shape Gen selected a bunch of morphs that affect the whole head. Is there a way that I can make Shape Gen really only select morphs that are restricted to the area(s) that I selected? I mean, I can go in and uncheck all those head morphs, but it would be better if they weren't selected in the first place.

You have Other/Imported button highlighted as well as nose. Deselect Other/Imported button. It is designed to only show what is highlighted.

I attached a few of the screenshots. I don't have an image hosting account anywhere, sorry for the inconveniece! The GC Morphs don't load where they should and that solves the issue of why they don't show in the search bar. The folder structure matches other morphs but they load outside of the actor, and that is a vendor issue. So, you are golden there. I've included a few screenshots to show that male body morphs load with the female ones, as I meantioned. Not sure if it has something to do with how the morphs are tagged but those were my main two concerns. I willl probably just end up selecting morphs manually rather then letting it decide randomly and this will advert any issues.   

That is very strange....Can you show me the male morph path location on Genesis 8 Female on your hard drive? I want to see why they are populating under Genesis 8 Female. Do you have Dial Control? I only ask because with that you can browse to exact install location of a morph. I wanted to see it's path in data folder.

One thing that is confusing me is why Shape Gen is selecting morphs for parts of the head that I did not select. In this example, I selected only the nose, but Shape Gen selected a bunch of morphs that affect the whole head. Is there a way that I can make Shape Gen really only select morphs that are restricted to the area(s) that I selected?

Zev0 said:
    barbult said:

You have Other/Imported button highlighted as well as nose. Deselect Other/Imported button. It is designed to only show what is highlighted.

Thank you, I'll give that a try. I thought I had to select one of the items in that column (People. Other/Imported, etc.) as well as select a body part. I'm still trying to understand the interface. I watched the video twice. I'll watch it again. 

barbult said:

One thing that is confusing me is why Shape Gen is selecting morphs for parts of the head that I did not select. In this example, I selected only the nose, but Shape Gen selected a bunch of morphs that affect the whole head. Is there a way that I can make Shape Gen really only select morphs that are restricted to the area(s) that I selected?

Zev0 said:
    barbult said:

Thank you, I'll give that a try. I thought I had to select one of the items in that column (People. Other/Imported, etc.) as well as select a body part. I'm still trying to understand the interface. I watched the video twice. I'll watch it again. 

I watched the video again, with this new understanding, and I can see now that it clearly shows that I don't have to select something in that column. Sometimes it just takes a little experience with the interface before the video sinks in. What I think I understand now, is that clicking on a body or face part, selects morphs from the corresponding section of the Actor morphs.

Yes Corresponding.

I discovered the little + and - in the lower right corner. I see I can save sets of morphs to load up later. Thanks for that.

edited September 2020

I did  a search for HD and built this character from those morphs. Then I looked at the result to see which character's head morph had the highest percentage and used her skin (Edie 8). I used Brow Remover to remove Edie's reddish painted eyebrows and gave her some other fibermesh eyebrows.

Edi: Hmmm. I see I have some other morphs in there, too, besides the HD morphs. I'm not sure how they got selected and used. Operator error most likely. I still find the result very interesting.

G8F Shape Gen 4 HD Body and Face PS.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    edited September 2020

I did another one. This time I am pretty sure I got only the HD morphs I intended to use. She is a lot less severe looking.

G8F Shape Gen 4 HD Body and Face_001 Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 515K
  • Okay, I might be completely off base with this advice, but I am going to give it a shot. I've been playing with this for most of the weekend and have gotten some pretty good results. And lots of results that is the stuff of nightmares. :)

1. I've found that a Randomized Strength of 0.5 is good when you have 5 head morphs selected. As you add more, you should reduce this strength. Remember, the randomization aggregates on each other. So ten morphs at ~0.25 can result in a total beyond 1. I've taken to reducing the Strength by 0.05 for every five morphs I add.

2. Full Body morphs are a bit more forgiving, I've found that you can usually get away with ~10 morphs at 0.50 strength. Then start reducing the strength for every 5, as above.

3. Avoid using full character morphs unless you use them sparingly. The impact on the head as much more pronounced than the impact on the body.

4. A lot of head morphs appear to increase the scale of the head. Having two or more of these morphs in a single random can result in some pretty alien looking heads. When I find this happening, I tend to turn off morphs one at a time and re-random, to see which morph(s) are the offending parties.

Now I have a couple of requests:

1. Would it be possible to include a "Save Figure" option within the window? So that a resulting figure could be saved without leaving the interface?

2. I like the randomized "Amount of Dials per Group" but is there a way to restrict the group the dials are chosen from? Something like checking 20 dials, then having the interface drop some at random so just the number selected remain?

3. Is there a way to have a culmative random? I.e. leave the existing dials alone and randomize a couple of additional ones? I could be wrong, but the Randomize Choice seems to zero out everything before it does a subsquent randomize?

edited September 2020

1. Would it be possible to include a "Save Figure" option within the window? So that a resulting figure could be saved without leaving the interface?

We have a remember state in the addon. Will act like a bookmark.

"I could be wrong, but the Randomize Choice seems to zero out everything before it does a subsquent randomize?"

Yes it redoes the randomization otherwise you get stacking. You can uncheck morphs you happy with in order to not be affected. 

We have some features coming in the addon. We will post features when it's finalized.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited September 2020

Good to know. I hadn't really investigated the zero out question. With all the randomness, it was hard to determine what was happening.

In any case, here are two of my creations. Messing around with the Orc / Hobgoblin / Other monster morphs.

Same morph recipe, just re-randomized. With a different skins.

Orc 1 Render.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 575K
    Orc 2 Render.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 732K
    Post edited by Jason Galterio on

Oh those came out niceyes

• Zev0 said:

Oh those came out niceyes

Thanks. I, of course, went straight to more extreme uses. I wanted to see if I could come up with some varying ogres / orcs. Next experiment is going to be doing the same on the female side of it. The store is under represented by humanoid female orcs.

Both recipes used these morphs:
    Colossus
    Brutus the Orc
    Goblin Raider
    Hobgoblin
    Ogre
    Ogrec
    Orc
    Raw Boaris
    Raw Orc Brute

The first one is using the Hobgoblin skin, the second is using the Orc Skin with the Gorilla hair. The second one needs a bit more work, but included it as a reference for variation.

• a question about Shape Gen, does it work on preset characters? or you always need to have genesis 3 or genesis 8 original base for it to work? thanks!

Works on character presets.

• Zev0 said:

Works on character presets.

thank you so much! thats awesome. 

edited September 2020

"A lot of head morphs appear to increase the scale of the head. Having two or more of these morphs in a single random can result in some pretty alien looking heads. When I find this happening, I tend to turn off morphs one at a time and re-random, to see which morph(s) are the offending parties."

Those are daz's propogation scale morphs I assume. We were going to bypass those by default but left it to user to uncheck them if they are being used or included in the list.

Capture.JPG
    246 x 171 - 17K
    Post edited by Zev0 on
  • Zev0 said:

"A lot of head morphs appear to increase the scale of the head. Having two or more of these morphs in a single random can result in some pretty alien looking heads. When I find this happening, I tend to turn off morphs one at a time and re-random, to see which morph(s) are the offending parties."

Those are daz's propogation scale morphs I assume. We were going to bypass those by default but left it to user to uncheck them if they are being used or included in the list.

Thanks for that. I will take a look and let you know my results...  I know I ended up with a lot of female models with huge craniums.

My guess was that the morph was tied to a body scale morph that I wasn't using. Which resulted in things looking out of proportion.