Daz3d to Unreal Engine Bridge

Comments

• oh good yes was worried it referenced the textures at least, mind you if it did I could resize them which I wish I had done

The textures get imported into Unreal as UAssets, but they're left in the intermediate folder.  You can resize them, and then right click and re-import them in Unreal to get the size update.  I occasionally paint on them and such as well.  I collect them there for convenience and so I don't have to worry about modifying the original if I want a change.

• do I need to keep all those dtu associated file sets ie FBX etc in documents or just the textures?

Once they're imported you don't actually need the temporary files.

• oh good yes was worried it referenced the textures at least, mind you if it did I could resize them which I wish I had done

The textures get imported into Unreal as UAssets, but they're left in the intermediate folder.  You can resize them, and then right click and re-import them in Unreal to get the size update.  I occasionally paint on them and such as well.  I collect them there for convenience and so I don't have to worry about modifying the original if I want a change.

great suggestion, 2048 is as big as I ever go in iClone so the 4096+ is overkill especially with normals, speculars roughnesses etc

• weird new development

my animated DAZ housecat won't import it's animation

the FBX plays animated in Windows 10 3D viewer

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,415
    edited September 2020

Will Unreal work with an AMD card, or is it only Nvidia cards?

Post edited by N-RArts on
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    N_R Arts said:

Will Unreal work with an AMD card, or is it only Nvidia cards?

it's work with amd but some of unreal stuffs works better with nvidia than AMD or only gonna work in nvidia but overal it work's fine.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,415
    Ellessarr said:

it's work with amd but some of unreal stuffs works better with nvidia than AMD or only gonna work in nvidia but overal it work's fine.

I'll just have to hope that my computer is good enough to run it then ^^'

Thank you ^^

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713
    edited September 2020

it works on my other PC that has no graphics card just onboard Intel graphics but I cannot use shadowplay and OBS is about 1FPS blush

rendering sequencer cinematics works but rather slow

I cannot do heavy scenes on that PC either

is interesting what does work on that PC, Dforce works better

Blender renders better too but only Blender Render and Cycles not Eevee as it has a better CPU

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • 3DRT3DRT Posts: 61

A couple things I noticed while using this plugin:

1. The physics asset generated from the import of Genesis 8 figures doesn't work out of the box. Trying to simulate ragdoll physics breaks the model completely.

2. Certain Morph targets that change the size of Genesis (like "Height" ) will only rescale the mesh but not the skeleton. This causes animations to break when those morph targets are applied

ue4_morph_targets.PNG
    1827 x 1101 - 1M
    edited September 2020
    3DRT said:

A couple things I noticed while using this plugin:

1. The physics asset generated from the import of Genesis 8 figures doesn't work out of the box. Trying to simulate ragdoll physics breaks the model completely.

2. Certain Morph targets that change the size of Genesis (like "Height" ) will only rescale the mesh but not the skeleton. This causes animations to break when those morph targets are applied

in the case if "height morphs i would recomend you to export the character "with the morph already applied it's because how the morph was made, the better way to "rescale a character size in unreal is you direct "re-scale his size by using the tool of scale in unreal unless the size is something with come with a shape like a morph to make a dwarf, would be more right to "use the morph and make the dwarf in daz them export the "dwarf" to unreal than use the morph to turn the character in a dwarf, it's more like a daz issue than unreal, or how the morph is applied in the mesh.

the physics i've already talked with the creator and he told which is on his "to do list, then until a proper fix come you can use those videos as base since daz characters have a "skeleton which near the same as daz skeleton:

those videos can help you to setup a proper ragdoll physics, use then as base since character creator and daz are not exactly perfect the same stuffs, then you need to do some extra adjusts in the numbers until you feel happy, but overal they help you to know how to setup all the ragdoll capsules and constrains inside unreal.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • 1. The physics asset generated from the import of Genesis 8 figures doesn't work out of the box. Trying to simulate ragdoll physics breaks the model completely.

1) Yea, the autogeneration doesn't work well with the Daz Assets currently.  If you right-click on the Skeletal Mesh and go to Create -> Create Physics Asset you should be able to play withe settings and generate a new one.

2) I haven't figured out a good fix for this.  If you don't export these morphs specifically, they'll be baked into the character and that works correctly.  To modify the size of the character in Unreal I scale the skeletal mesh and this seems to work.  It's not a perfect answer though.

edited September 2020

1) Yea, the autogeneration doesn't work well with the Daz Assets currently.  If you right-click on the Skeletal Mesh and go to Create -> Create Physics Asset you should be able to play withe settings and generate a new one.

2) I haven't figured out a good fix for this.  If you don't export these morphs specifically, they'll be baked into the character and that works correctly.  To modify the size of the character in Unreal I scale the skeletal mesh and this seems to work.  It's not a perfect answer though.

hey david since you are here, i would love if you could take a look at this issue wit the geografty stuffs, while my tests showed which this is not a "unreal or even bridge" issue and more like a "daz" issue, would be good if by any means you could find a way to "fix" it on the bridge, currently when exporting a geografity stuff it have a huge change to "duplicate it" generating a second mesh:

i've explained the issue here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5983977/#Comment_5983977

also here have more info:

https://i.imgur.com/CbKgMZT.jpg

i know which the pluging have nothing to do with it but would be good if you could find a way to fix this issue, it's make work with geografity elements a little troublesome and while i opened a ticket to daz support about it i don't know if they can or want or gonna fix it.

• brtndr98brtndr98 Posts: 3
    edited September 2020

The problem that I'm having is that while the "dzunrealplugin" that (I downloaded using the DIM) works just fine in my Daz Studio 4.12, in the sense that I can export a G8M file from my Daz Studio into my "DaztoUnreal" folder, located in my: C:\Users\MyName\Documents\DazToUnreal.

However, it's my Epic 4.25 launcher that doesn't acknowledge the existence of the "DaztoUnreal" plugin. In other words, after launching the Epic 4.25 Engine, then starting a new 3rd person project, I immediately go to Settings/Plugins and browse through the many plugins on the list, and specificly in the "Imports" folder too so to enable the "DaztoUnreal" plugin. However, after many searches, the Daz plugin is nowhere to be found, anywhere. I'll do a general search in my plugin tab, and the "DaztoUnreal" plugin simply never appears as an option, nor does anything related to Daz Studios in general ever appear.

Despite the fact, that not only can I see the "DaztoUnreal" plugin in my Daz Studio 4 folder located at: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins. I can also find one in my Epics plugin folder at:  C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\plugins. However, while the plugin on the Daz side of things seems to work just fine, the Epic Engine doesn't seem to know that the "DaztoUnreal" plugin is in the Epic 4.25 plugin folder.

Anyone have any possible explanations and/or solutions about why my Epic Engine doesn't acknowledge the existance of the "DaztoUnreal" plugin while it works fine in Daz Studio?

Post edited by brtndr98 on
    brtndr98 said:

The problem that I'm having is that while the "dzunrealplugin" that (I downloaded using the DIM) works just fine in my Daz Studio 4.12, in the sense that I can export a G8M file from my Daz Studio into my "DaztoUnreal" folder, located in my: C:\Users\MyName\Documents\DazToUnreal.

However, it's my Epic 4.25 launcher that doesn't acknowledge the existence of the "DaztoUnreal" plugin. In other words, after launching the Epic 4.25 Engine, then starting a new 3rd person project, I immediately go to Settings/Plugins and browse through the many plugins on the list, and specificly in the "Imports" folder too so to enable the "DaztoUnreal" plugin. However, after many searches, the Daz plugin is nowhere to be found, anywhere. I'll do a general search in my plugin tab, and the "DaztoUnreal" plugin simply never appears as an option, nor does anything related to Daz Studios in general ever appear.

Despite the fact, that not only can I see the "DaztoUnreal" plugin in my Daz Studio 4 folder located at: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins. I can also find one in my Epics plugin folder at:  C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\plugins. However, while the plugin on the Daz side of things seems to work just fine, the Epic Engine doesn't seem to know that the "DaztoUnreal" plugin is in the Epic 4.25 plugin folder.

Anyone have any possible explanations and/or solutions about why my Epic Engine doesn't acknowledge the existance of the "DaztoUnreal" plugin while it works fine in Daz Studio?

i hade a problem which looks like the same as you, first before go on that, you must make sure before export to unreal, which the unreal editor is "open" and you are running the latest version of unreal, it must be runing before you export to unreal, it is open and you try to send the character and nothing is happening, then you can try to check this:

if you like me already used a "epic version" or had instaled in the past a version of epic then it could be the issue, because epic version and daz "version are a little different and one can conflict with the other, to check it look if your "send to" is being display in the file tab, if in the file tab then it's the "daz version" if it is on"edit" tab is the epic version, then you must open the path where the daztounreal.dll is located and remove it, because this is the epic version" then restart the daz and see if the send to is appearing in the file tab.

if it's not the problem try to reinstall it, make sure before reinstall which all the files were properly removed from both unreal 4.25 and daz folders, if they are proper removed by the uninstall then now reinstall it, i would advise also if the "file already" downloaded in the DIM to remove it and make the DIM download again and install.

• hey david since you are here, i would love if you could take a look at this issue wit the geografty stuffs

I was trying out the process with the Centaur yesterday and it seems like it should be supported, but it didn't come out right.  I'll figure out what's going on.

• Ellessarr said:
    brtndr98 said:

i hade a problem which looks like the same as you, first before go on that, you must make sure before export to unreal, which the unreal editor is "open" and you are running the latest version of unreal, it must be runing before you export to unreal, it is open and you try to send the character and nothing is happening, then you can try to check this:

if you like me already used a "epic version" or had instaled in the past a version of epic then it could be the issue, because epic version and daz "version are a little different and one can conflict with the other, to check it look if your "send to" is being display in the file tab, if in the file tab then it's the "daz version" if it is on"edit" tab is the epic version, then you must open the path where the daztounreal.dll is located and remove it, because this is the epic version" then restart the daz and see if the send to is appearing in the file tab.

if it's not the problem try to reinstall it, make sure before reinstall which all the files were properly removed from both unreal 4.25 and daz folders, if they are proper removed by the uninstall then now reinstall it, i would advise also if the "file already" downloaded in the DIM to remove it and make the DIM download again and install.

Thanks for the response. I just want to go over a few things and hopefully get your advice on the best way forward from there.

1) Yes, I have two earlier versions of UDK currently downloaded on my computer. Both UDK 3 & UDK 4.9.2. along with UDK 4.25.3(which I believe is the latest version of UDK)

2) The "send to" is displayed in the Daz Studio file tab.(so, I guess that means I have the Daz version?)

Any suggestions what I should do?

brtndr98 said:
    Ellessarr said:
    brtndr98 said:

Thanks for the response. I just want to go over a few things and hopefully get your advice on the best way forward from there.

1) Yes, I have two earlier versions of UDK currently downloaded on my computer. Both UDK 3 & UDK 4.9.2. along with UDK 4.25.3(which I believe is the latest version of UDK)

2) The "send to" is displayed in the Daz Studio file tab.(so, I guess that means I have the Daz version?)

1 - i wanted to means that:

https://unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/daz-to-unreal

currently we have 2 versions of the pluging, the epic version and the daz version one can conflict with the other and it's seens which when you "uninstall" the epic version it only remove the "epic" part of the pluging it don't remover the "daz" side you need to remover this one manually then install the "daz bridge, otherwise the "epic portion which is inside daz will conflict with the daz bridge maybe it can be the issue.

now if you don't have instaled the epic version and only the bridge, maybe can be good do as i told and uninstall, the pluging using the dim or the daz central, then make sure which all the related files are proper removed from both daz and unreal then make sure which when using the dim to reinstall, you nad "removed" the already downloaded version and download a new one and install then test it again.

hey david since you are here, i would love if you could take a look at this issue wit the geografty stuffs

I was trying out the process with the Centaur yesterday and it seems like it should be supported, but it didn't come out right.  I'll figure out what's going on.

for what i've tested so far it's looks like a daz issue, because it's somehow is duplicating the geografty during the process of conversion to fbx, i've made some tests and is possible to prevent the "duplication but you need a lot of extra work inside daz and geometry edit to make it proper export without duplicate the geografty but this "big work is only good for the centaur case, for a small element like a female genitaly the only solution i could found is hidden the "extra mesh", creating a invisible material.

• is FBX issue maybe as I indeed get the Extra mesh using DAZ2Unreal bridge, I made an invisible shader

normal FBX i check ignore hidden and don't get it

• Ellessarr said:
    brtndr98 said:
    Ellessarr said:
    brtndr98 said:

1 - i wanted to means that:

https://unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/daz-to-unreal

currently we have 2 versions of the pluging, the epic version and the daz version one can conflict with the other and it's seens which when you "uninstall" the epic version it only remove the "epic" part of the pluging it don't remover the "daz" side you need to remover this one manually then install the "daz bridge, otherwise the "epic portion which is inside daz will conflict with the daz bridge maybe it can be the issue.

now if you don't have instaled the epic version and only the bridge, maybe can be good do as i told and uninstall, the pluging using the dim or the daz central, then make sure which all the related files are proper removed from both daz and unreal then make sure which when using the dim to reinstall, you nad "removed" the already downloaded version and download a new one and install then test it again.

UN FREAK'N BELIEVABLE! I finally got it to work.

After days of trying everything. After following your instructions of uninstalling and reinstalling the Daz Bridge using the dim, then reconfiguring the Daz Bridge path to: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Plugins (as oppose to the recommended: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine). I was able to locate all the Daz bridge plugin files in the C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Engine\Plugins folder, and not just the dll. file, like before.

From there, I manually copied and paste all the "DaztoUnreal" folders into the C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Plugins folder, and WALLAH. The plugin finally showed up in the Epic Engine plugin tab, and I was able to Enable the plugin.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions. It definitely got me going in the right direction until I eventually resolved the issue. Now it's on to the next problem that I'll inevitably run into.

is FBX issue maybe as I indeed get the Extra mesh using DAZ2Unreal bridge, I made an invisible shader

yeah it's a issue from daz, how it genereate the fbx, somehow it's genereate a "second mesh", which you can hidden using a invisible material but i feel which it is more like a "work around band-aid than a actually fix, the real fix would be fix how daz generate the fbx, is possible to mitigate it, i've find a way which somehow follow the same logic of outfits, it's a weird process but work's fine you just have to export 2 times the character (because of the materials and shape), would be good if daz team can fix this issue or maybe david can find a work around, the same issue happens with others geograftys but the centaur is the biggest one to notice, for exemple, for genitalias since it's a small amount of polygons hidden could be the simple solutiion, but things like legs or tails it would be not so good since again will be a lot of extra polygon just being hidden and not proper removed.

Another note were you get that "centaur animations"????????

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713
    edited September 2020
    Ellessarr said:

is FBX issue maybe as I indeed get the Extra mesh using DAZ2Unreal bridge, I made an invisible shader

yeah it's a issue from daz, how it genereate the fbx, somehow it's genereate a "second mesh", which you can hidden using a invisible material but i feel which it is more like a "work around band-aid than a actually fix, the real fix would be fix how daz generate the fbx, is possible to mitigate it, i've find a way which somehow follow the same logic of outfits, it's a weird process but work's fine you just have to export 2 times the character (because of the materials and shape), would be good if daz team can fix this issue or maybe david can find a work around, the same issue happens with others geograftys but the centaur is the biggest one to notice, for exemple, for genitalias since it's a small amount of polygons hidden could be the simple solutiion, but things like legs or tails it would be not so good since again will be a lot of extra polygon just being hidden and not proper removed.

I made it, have the freebie somewhere on this forum for G3 centaur but works on 8

was a Carnagie Mellon Mocap I twiddled with and applied offset to the back limbs

it's only for the horse half

I will reupload because I cannot find it

zip
    zip
    centaurbodytrot.zip
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    Ellessarr said:

I made it, have the freebie somewhere on this forum for G3 centaur but works on 8

was a Carnagie Mellon Mocap I twiddled with and applied offset to the back limbs

it's only for the horse half

I will reupload because I cannot find it

wow thanks.

• if you are interested in how it was made

I used Carrara and imported a CMU walk BVH 

Carrara creates bones from BVH

I then duplicated and renamed all the bones to match the horse, you can move bones around how you wish in Carrara too

and keyframes 

the result I exported from Carrara s an FBX then  iClone 3DXchange as a BVH after retageting to the centaur

if you are interested in how it was made

I then duplicated and renamed all the bones to match the horse, you can move bones around how you wish in Carrara too

and keyframes 

the result I exported from Carrara s an FBX then  iClone 3DXchange as a BVH after retageting to the centaur

hmmm well i don't have carrera, i was planing trying to retarget animations from another "centaur" from epic, (have a free pack of 4 legs creatures and one is a centaur), if they proof not too diferent from each other skeleton.

• Ellessarr said:

and keyframes 

hmmm well i don't have carrera, i was planing trying to retarget animations from another "centaur" from epic, (have a free pack of 4 legs creatures and one is a centaur), if they proof not too diferent from each other skeleton.

ahhh think I have that too, if it has a third person BP I can make him navigate my scenes enlightenedLuke in the trenchcoat uses a different BP to the mannequin

Ellessarr said:

and keyframes 

ahhh think I have that too, if it has a third person BP I can make him navigate my scenes enlightenedLuke in the trenchcoat uses a different BP to the mannequin

lol, i don't recall if it have a PB, but is not complicated to make one, is just follow the same pattern of the basic bp and use the "centaur animations instead of the manequin, will be just a "replace" the only issue would the be the capsule which obvious will only cover his front and the back you need to add some extra "collision capsules.

• metasidemetaside Posts: 175
    edited September 2020

My experiences with this so far are not so good. I have zero experience with Unreal and I got the import working with a few errors in a blank TP project and could walk around and build a scene, which was pretty cool and made me dream a bit of making my own game without any UE knowledge ;) Some problems at this point were:

1) some simple clothing textures were just completely blank/white

2) some clothing items don't fit anymore after import, I got poke-through and similar that was not present in Daz

When I started using some template projects and trying to import Daz characters into those I got more serious problems:

3) there was no mannequin folder in the content of the template project. I migrated the mannequin folder from a new project, but I think this didn't work as expected:

4) when trying to retarget animations to G8, either G8 doesn't even show up as compatible or G8 shows up but is double-sized as compared to the mannequin

5) retargeting the animations just didn't work. I see the imported G8 and fixed all the textures that were not imported correctly, but I can't get the figure into the template game project as the playing character

Might try again when I find some more free time...

Post edited by metaside on
    edited September 2020
    metaside said:

My experiences with this so far are not so good. I have zero experience with Unreal and I got the import working with a few errors in a blank TP project and could walk around and build a scene, which was pretty cool and made me dream a bit of making my own game without any UE knowledge ;) Some problems at this point were:

1) some simple clothing textures were just completely blank/white

2) some clothing items don't fit anymore after import, I got poke-through and similar that was not present in Daz

When I started using some template projects and trying to import Daz characters into those I got more serious problems:

3) there was no mannequin folder in the content of the template project. I migrated the mannequin folder from a new project, but I think this didn't work as expected:

4) when trying to retarget animations to G8, either G8 doesn't even show up as compatible or G8 shows up but is double-sized as compared to the mannequin

5) retargeting the animations just didn't work. I see the imported G8 and fixed all the textures that were not imported correctly, but I can't get the figure into the template game project as the playing character

Might try again when I find some more free time...

well let's try:

at the beginning i would recomend you before start to "add a chracter" to unreal, you get some "basic" lessons" about unreal, like how to proper setup a new character rater than the manequin, learn the basic about blue prints, here some good youtube channels for tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClb6Jh9EBV7a_Nm52Ipll_Q

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC8f6SxKJElVvaRb7nF4Axg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsS5i15vvUbwfr_1JdRKCAA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7A3-CWHgy5EejbfA9wbmw

take a look at some tutorials on those at last the most basic about setup character and a little about landscape it will help you a lot

1 - cloths being "blank" it can means which those cloths don't use a "base color texture" in daz, some outfits use "colors paramenters" instead of textures then when exported to unreal you will get a "blank material", it also can happen if the bridge for some reason is not being able to "proper colect" the base color texture of the outfit, would be good you "list here the outfits with this issue for us to be able to proper check it

2 - ok this one is a little complicate, but let's try, first is important to know which it also happens on daz, it's just in many cases daz studio have a script whic can "fix" the poke-through not all the times but based on some poses and some outfits it can happens on daz, it's happens because sometmes some daz artistis don't make a very complex weight influence from the character to the outfit and you get a sort  of "autofit" with some edits here and there it lead to some cases the outfit will be weird but daz have a sort of system which "try to fix" it in many cases it work here it's can help you in some tips about "outfits in general:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5173146/#Comment_5173146

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5174496/#Comment_5174496

also this thread can help you with some extra stuffs

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/432206/daz-to-unreal-guide-for-newcomers-the-famous-before-your-buy-or-limitations#latest

if you still want to have a "skin" under the character then before export it do unreal you need to make some adjusts like "making the outfit a little more "loosen" to the body, using some adjustment morphs if it have, it's all about you learn how to deal with it yourself you can find some tutorials in youtube with something like that.

i also would advice you read most of void posts here and maybe some of "mine" too, to some doubts and questions it can help you too a lot.

3 - when creating a new "project" in unreal make sure you are using the "third person template" from the meny, not a "blank one" or other option, you need or a third person templace or a top down or 2d(with 3d) templates, don't choose the 'blank one or first person or anything which don't have a "character on it, ofcourse inside the editor you have a option to "import a template from the templates" but i don't recall now what is that option".

4 - looks a little complicate would be good if you can "add some pictures or a video of the "process you are making to export" to know what is going wrong.

5 - like the 3 you must have one of this 3 templates, or third person, or top down or 2d(using 3d), and if you just want to "replace" the manequin the base unreal blueprint then here the basic tutorial

it's the most basic way to proper use the bridge and have a daz character working on unreal using the manequin bp and just replacing the mesh

it's good when bring your issue to also show a image of the issue to make things more easy to understand what is happening, hope it can help you.

• metasidemetaside Posts: 175
    edited September 2020

Thank you very much @Ellessarr!

I managed to import characters into new projects, but I could not make it work with a template project from the Epic marketplace, in this case I tried to use the Ninja Stealth Game Template or something along those lines which didn't feature the mannequin content folder - maybe it was just renamed or something like that? I will try again and maybe contact the developer of that template to understand the differences better... Anyways, thanks again for taking the time to help a newbie out! I'm gonna try this again and let you know when my AAA game is finished ;)

Post edited by metaside on