Daz3d to Unreal Engine Bridge

Comments

• Hi I've imported my character form daz to UE4 and noticed the skin and hair textures are not realistic compared with Iray.

I've seen some videos of the Daz character on UE4 that seems much better quatliy than mine.

Is there a render setting or material setting that I need to chage to make it more realistic?

Hope there's someone that knows more about DaztoUnreal projects. 

Thank you.

• commando2009 said:

Hi,

I saw the discussion and would like to share one issue I have with the bridge, which is a kind of show stopper for me.

I observe some distortions around the character's nose in animations imported by the bridge. Attached are two pics, one is in the mesh, another is in the animation. Please note this is just a basic G8F character and default pose.

My workflow is to create the animations in Daz3d and export them to the UE4. Having this kind of face is a real problem. 

Note the animations I retargeted from UE4 mannequin do not have this problem.

Did I miss anything?

Usually when the face is scrunched it's because you didn't set the retarget source for the character.  You don't get that with the mannequin animations because they don't have matching face bones.  It's the second part of this document.

http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-animations/

• BreeZe_098 said:

Hi I've imported my character form daz to UE4 and noticed the skin and hair textures are not realistic compared with Iray.

I've seen some videos of the Daz character on UE4 that seems much better quatliy than mine.

Is there a render setting or material setting that I need to chage to make it more realistic?

Thank you.

I had to make some compromises with the materials to try to make them look decent across a range of character setups.  The first problem is that hair transparency is iffy.  You can fix that quickly. http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-adjusting-hair-transparency/

You can also make your own materials.  The plugin has functionality to help map properties from Daz Studio to Unreal.  http://davidvodhanel.com/working-with-materials-in-daz-to-unreal/

• David Vodhanel said:

BreeZe_098 said:

Hi I've imported my character form daz to UE4 and noticed the skin and hair textures are not realistic compared with Iray.

Thank you.

I had to make some compromises with the materials to try to make them look decent across a range of character setups.  The first problem is that hair transparency is iffy.  You can fix that quickly. http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-adjusting-hair-transparency/

You can also make your own materials.  The plugin has functionality to help map properties from Daz Studio to Unreal.  http://davidvodhanel.com/working-with-materials-in-daz-to-unreal/

Thank you for the information! I was able to fix the hair transparency, it looks much better. 

Do you have any other tips for the skin material?

• I exposed some parameters like Roughness Offset\Multiplier and Specular Offset\Multiplier.  I think by default the skin can be a little dry, so you you add a multiplier a bit below 1 to roughness or above one on specular it might look better to you.  For more complicated things, you probably want to try duplicating my skin material and playing around with it.

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2021

hello David Vodhanel since you are here, i have 2 questions for you:

1 - any news about improving/fixing the capsule collision issue, you are still looking into it?

2 - since i have giving up on daz, any chances for you try to find a way tofix the issue of "duplicated Geografts Elements??? or maybe a good work around, i means i've tried many times already tried ticket but in in the end they even not acknowldege which is a daz issue and told which is a "pluging issue" and contect you, then while i do know which is not a "pluging issue", still would be awesome if you could find a way to fix it, because without any doubts it's is really a annoying issue at last for me.

and i've noticed which the new threlo still have some "stuffs to do but no more "doing" then how things are going what you are planning currently in improve the pluging??? any good news???.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • Thank you David!

I see some slight difference.

I guess I'll go through the setting.

How can I duplicate your skin material?

• BreeZe_098 said: How can I duplicate your skin material?

You can find the materials by following this: http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-where-are-the-assets/

If you copy it somewhere and modify it you can set one of the character materials to use it as the parent material instead for testing.  If you set your material in the Daz to Unreal project settings it will be used at import time.  http://davidvodhanel.com/working-with-materials-in-daz-to-unreal/

• Ellessarr said:

1 - any news about improving/fixing the capsule collision issue, you are still looking into it?

2 - since i have giving up on daz, any chances for you try to find a way tofix the issue of "duplicated Geografts Elements??? or maybe a good work around, i means i've tried many times already tried ticket but in in the end they even not acknowldege which is a daz issue and told which is a "pluging issue" and contect you, then while i do know which is not a "pluging issue", still would be awesome if you could find a way to fix it, because without any doubts it's is really a annoying issue at last for me.

and i've noticed which the new threlo still have some "stuffs to do but no more "doing" then how things are going what you are planning currently in improve the pluging??? any good news???.

I haven't gotten to the collisions yet.  I think I've fixed that geograft issue a couple times before, but it keep coming back :)  I'll take a look again soon.

I'm still working on the plugin.  Currently I've been adding a new export type Poses.  It allows you to select a bunch of poses for a character and it will make a PoseAsset in Unreal using them.  It's useful for Face Capture or using programs like FaceFX.  The pipeline for using PoseAssets it similar to using morphs, but you can share them between characters because they're bone data instead of vertex data.  https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/AnimatingObjects/SkeletalMeshAnimation/AnimPose/Facial-Animation-Sharing/index.html

David Vodhanel said:

Ellessarr said:

I haven't gotten to the collisions yet.  I think I've fixed that geograft issue a couple times before, but it keep coming back :)  I'll take a look again soon.

I'm still working on the plugin.  Currently I've been adding a new export type Poses.  It allows you to select a bunch of poses for a character and it will make a PoseAsset in Unreal using them.  It's useful for Face Capture or using programs like FaceFX.  The pipeline for using PoseAssets it similar to using morphs, but you can share them between characters because they're bone data instead of vertex data.  https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/AnimatingObjects/SkeletalMeshAnimation/AnimPose/Facial-Animation-Sharing/index.html

wow really good news, i really hope you can try to fix again the geograft and this time "forever for sure", it going and come back can be really annoying. 

• Hi. For when you think the plugin for version 4.26 will be available

any news about update for the new g8.1???

• Ellessarr said:

any news about update for the new g8.1???

I've checked in some updates to support Genesis8.1 a bit better.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

Javicreador said:

Hi. For when you think the plugin for version 4.26 will be available

yes thats urgent pls

• 3DRT3DRT Posts: 61

I'm having an issue with the new environment export feature where only a few of the items are being exported to UE4. All items are parented to a single top-level node in studio.

• DAZ_samDAZ_sam Posts: 170

3DRT said:

I'm having an issue with the new environment export feature where only a few of the items are being exported to UE4. All items are parented to a single top-level node in studio.

What Asset are you testing it on? 

DAZ_sam said:

3DRT said:

What Asset are you testing it on? 

I'm using a custom environment but it's just a series of props parented to a group node. I disabled all the instances and cleaned up the lights and cameras if that makes any difference.

• 3DRT said:

Which enviroment product are you experiencing this issue with? Or are you experiencing this with multiple enviroments?

Razzle-Dazzle3D said:

3DRT said:

Which enviroment product are you experiencing this issue with? Or are you experiencing this with multiple enviroments?

I tested with a vendor-created environment and it functions correctly. The thing that is causing me issues is a number of custom props exported from 3dsMax as .obj and imported into studio as props. I have a couple dozen of them but for some reason it only iterates through two or three and sends them over to UE4. The result is multiple instances of one of the parented obj in the environment. (See screenshot)

HighresScreenshot00000.png
    2932 x 1602 - 5M

I'm getting the following error message: 'ERROR: Missing precompiled manifest for 'DazToUnrealRuntime'.  
    This module was most likely not flagged for being included in a precompiled build - set 'PrecompileForTargets = PrecompileTargetsType.Any;' in DazToUnrealRuntime.build.cs to override.' when attempting to package my project following the update. I'm using version 4.25.4 with the latest version of the plugin.

3DRT said:

I'm getting the following error message: 'ERROR: Missing precompiled manifest for 'DazToUnrealRuntime'.  
    This module was most likely not flagged for being included in a precompiled build - set 'PrecompileForTargets = PrecompileTargetsType.Any;' in DazToUnrealRuntime.build.cs to override.' when attempting to package my project following the update. I'm using version 4.25.4 with the latest version of the plugin.

Try and reinstall the DazToUnreal Plugin now. I just updated it and ran a few tests and it seems to be okay now. Let me know if this has fixed your issues. 

3DRT said:

Try and reinstall the DazToUnreal Plugin now. I just updated it and ran a few tests and it seems to be okay now. Let me know if this has fixed your issues. 

DAZ_sam said:

3DRT said:

I got the latest version from DIM, timestamped earlier today. But the issue persists for all my projects where the plugin is enabled.

3DRT said:

Razzle-Dazzle3D said:

3DRT said:

I tested with a vendor-created environment and it functions correctly. The thing that is causing me issues is a number of custom props exported from 3dsMax as .obj and imported into studio as props. I have a couple dozen of them but for some reason it only iterates through two or three and sends them over to UE4. The result is multiple instances of one of the parented obj in the environment. (See screenshot)

This issue is reproducible with simple primitives created in Studio. Upon export, only the last item in the group, the sphere is transferred to UE4. (See screenshot)

studio_primitives.PNG
    1735 x 922 - 823K
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited February 2021

3DRT said:

same message ive got when trying to package a project for win 64 with daz to unreal folder

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • I have a problem.

I'm importing a G8 Figure shaped with youth morph into ue4 (morph is not exported).

The mesh is fine, BUT when im creating an animation asset -> the face becomes distorted (see attachment)

Exporting the youthmorph with the figure instead is fine in the animation, BUT its useless, since the whole figure gets distorted with the morph applied because the skeleton isnt rescaling.

Is there is something i am doing wrong ? Ive tried anything possible on my mind so far.

out.jpg
    1617 x 723 - 172K
  • Usually the face gets distorted if you don't set the retarget source.  http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-animations/

If you export a morph that scales the character at runtime, it won't animate properly when applied (if you choose it in the morphs list in the export).  If it's baked in because you didn't export it as a morph, it should work.

• David Vodhanel said:

Usually the face gets distorted if you don't set the retarget source.  http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-animations/

Oh gosh, thank you, it worked. I nearly gave up hope for UE4 because of this.
  • LayLo 3DLayLo 3D Posts: 329
    edited November 2021

Hi, I just tried using the Daz to Unreal bridge for the first time and everything seems to have worked except I'm getting very noticable UV Seams. Does anyone happen to know what may be causing the problem? They're visible when using Daz Studio's normal FBX export as well, so I don't think it's a normal/bump map issue.

uv-seams.jpg
    370 x 609 - 85K
    Post edited by LayLo 3D on
  • The seams are in the textures.  I've mentioned this to the Daz team hoping they could add it to guidelines for the content creators.  What happens is sometimes the end or UV edge of the texture goes straight to white or black rather than continuing using the edge color.  So what is happening here is the texture goes to white right past the end of the UV, when a lower mip is used, that white gets blended in when creating the lower res version.  You could manually paint on the textures to fix it.  I don't have an automated fix currently.