Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.15.0.30! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• Any release notes for 4.14.1.38 what has changed?

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

Trigger_31 said:

Any release notes for 4.14.1.38 what has changed?

See page 1 of this thread, the information is in the "Highlights" link right at the end of that page and the entries there contain links to the "Change Log", i.e. this link:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

@jbowler

I understand your viewpoint but I would prefer if they found out why it is slow and fixed it because that would benefit "New Scene" option as well -- having to exit a program to avoid it being slow to do something is not exactly the workflow that should be encouraged.

I have a work round for the scenarios where an existing scene must be closed or replaced.  Simply delete the scene first!  This speeds up DAZStudio close by over six times in my tests with a simple (2G8F + 1G8M + minimal architecture) scene.  It is also quicker for me to close DAZStudio with this work round because after the delete DAZStudio (4.14.1.38) doesn't ask me if I want to save the scene :-)  To do this go to the scene tab, select all and delete (^A DEL).  For my test scene this first step took under 5 seconds and the overall times are as follows:

• Open (real world) test scene: 4m 21s
    • Close DAZ Studio (with test scene): 3m 32s
    • ^A DEL then close DAZ Studio: about 30s

This gives a pair of work-rounds for the new scene scenario.  In both we delete the whole existing scene first, then either use File/Open... of the new scene or, faster, File/Merge....  With the latter it is very important to immediately save the scene using File/Save As... to avoid the possibility of accidentally overwriting the original scene.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

nonesuch00 said:

So I saw a post from RGBWhizOfTheBrain (well something like that - correction rbtwhiz) and they mention major prep work to a new version of QT. That makes me have questions about DAZ Studio when the release with the QT upgrades are realized.

Daz usually doesn't make announcements about changes, so it's unlikely there will be an official answer to these questions.

a) Will that be QT 5 or QT 6 that DAZ Studio is upgraded to?

Qt5 had been mentioned by Daz before, that's all we know. 

b) Will that break many EOL plugins as has been often claimed in other threads in the DAZ forums?

Most likely. Changing the base libraries used by DS means the plugins would at least need to be recompiled with the new SDK, which can't be done for plugins where the creator is not there anymore. And Qt3 to Qt5 or 6 is a rather big change, so there might be some other updates needed.

c) Will the cause the version of DAZ Studio to be raised from DAZ Studio 4.X to DAZ Studio 5.X?

That would be coherent with what Daz has done in the past when changes to the SDK were big enough to break lots of things.

d) If it does raise to DAZ Studio 5.X version then the DAZ Studio installed for DAZ Studio 5.X Release won't remove my existing DAZ Studio 4.X Release correct?

That's how Daz has handled it for previous major version changes, so most probably. Especially since the SDK update is likely to break plugins.

e) If it does not raise to DAZ Studio 5.X version and it does break EOL plugins, then will only installing the QT upgraded version of DAZ Studio as a public beta break shared resources between DAZ Studio 4.X Release and DAZ Studio 4.X Public Beta?

AFAIK there are no shared resources between beta and general release, betas can only be installed via DIM to ensure that. That's why having both the beta and general release installed on the same system is officially supported, but not having 2 versions of the 4.x general release for example.

So installing the beta with the new SDK shouldn't impact the general release.

f) Will installing a upgrade to DAZ Studio 5.X Release and leaving an installed version of DAZ Studio 4.X Release introduce incompatibilities between the two in shared resources like the CMS database? 

Since AFAIK nothing has been said about changes to the database there's no way to know yet.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited December 2020

Leana said:

nonesuch00 said:

So I saw a post from RGBWhizOfTheBrain (well something like that - correction rbtwhiz) and they mention major prep work to a new version of QT. That makes me have questions about DAZ Studio when the release with the QT upgrades are realized.

Daz usually doesn't make announcements about changes, so it's unlikely there will be an official answer to these questions.

rbtwhiz's post is DAZ 3D sharing information though.

a) Will that be QT 5 or QT 6 that DAZ Studio is upgraded to?

Qt5 had been mentioned by Daz before, that's all we know. 

b) Will that break many EOL plugins as has been often claimed in other threads in the DAZ forums?

Most likely. Changing the base libraries used by DS means the plugins would at least need to be recompiled with the new SDK, which can't be done for plugins where the creator is not there anymore. And Qt3 to Qt5 or 6 is a rather big change, so there might be some other updates needed.

c) Will the cause the version of DAZ Studio to be raised from DAZ Studio 4.X to DAZ Studio 5.X?

That would be coherent with what Daz has done in the past when changes to the SDK were big enough to break lots of things.

d) If it does raise to DAZ Studio 5.X version then the DAZ Studio installed for DAZ Studio 5.X Release won't remove my existing DAZ Studio 4.X Release correct?

That's how Daz has handled it for previous major version changes, so most probably. Especially since the SDK update is likely to break plugins.

e) If it does not raise to DAZ Studio 5.X version and it does break EOL plugins, then will only installing the QT upgraded version of DAZ Studio as a public beta break shared resources between DAZ Studio 4.X Release and DAZ Studio 4.X Public Beta?

AFAIK there are no shared resources between beta and general release, betas can only be installed via DIM to ensure that. That's why having both the beta and general release installed on the same system is officially supported, but not having 2 versions of the 4.x general release for example.

My Content Library and my CMS database are shared. The registration of plugins is shared. But that's all I know offhand.

So installing the beta with the new SDK shouldn't impact the general release.

f) Will installing a upgrade to DAZ Studio 5.X Release and leaving an installed version of DAZ Studio 4.X Release introduce incompatibilities between the two in shared resources like the CMS database? 

Since AFAIK nothing has been said about changes to the database there's no way to know yet.

Thanks for answering with what you have been told previously. I wanted to ask that in the thread rbtwhiz had posted to but that thread is lock. My questions aren't really of the sort that they reveal major new features or any features at all really that DAZ 3D is developing but simple compatibility concerns that customers need to know. 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Anim said:

If you go Win10 you might like to use this free tool.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

It gives you a UI to tame Windows without the need to go into registry or group policy editor - and it explains the settings.

Example screenshot from my system is attached.

That looks promising and the direction want to go.  Gives me hope of getting some control at least.  Thanks!

johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

@Saxa -- SD

As for Windows 10, my main gripe is the amount of data collection and privacy invasion enabled by default, some of which can only be disabled using Group Policy if you are running Enterprise edition.

As far as stability or issues with updates go, I was lucky not to have any serious issues. In general it is pretty stable and fast.

See Win10Pro hasGroupPolicy as well.  But maybe Enterprise is more featured in this regard?  Since my PC will be a white box, it's automatically ineligible for volume licensing.   Nice to hear someone is doing well with Win10.

@Nonesuch00.  Hope reinstalls don't become necessary.  Install too many programs for it to be a quick process, the way you DL ISO and just reinstall.  Eyes wide & fingers crossed.

@WendyLuvsCats.  Indexing issue sounds like a pain.  Not convinced my Win7Prox64 indexing works perfect, but doesn't sound as bad as what you had.  Icky.

Today, ordered the biggie case: Thermaltake 900 tower.    Room for E-ATX mobo, and multiple GPUs mounted vertically.  Not fun to move around lol. 

Anyway, the next DazStudio rendering machine building begins.   Including, sigh > Win10 preparations. /dread

• GLEGLE Posts: 52

I find it somewhat funny that people are concerned with Microsoft collecting data through Windows 10, when they have a far more invasive device that does the same in their pockets.

I get that "work stuff goes to the PC, personal stuff goes to the smartphone", but that's an increasingly rare setup. You want/need your work email on an handheld device, you want your personal phone with you while you work.

Why does Microsoft get all the flak? Your workstation doesn't have GPS, and might not have webcams, microphones, etc. When you factor in devices like Alexa ad Google Home, whose sole puropose is to listen to all you say, I genuinely don't get why Windows is such a big concern.

Maybe it's for historic reasons? Microsoft was one of the most aggressive companies up to 10 years ago.

In regards to Windows 10 reinstalls: you can do an "online refresh/in-place upgrade". When you download the ISO, you can mount it directly in Windows and run the setup. This will upgrade your installation to the ISO version you downloaded, even if it's equal to the running version. You will be offered to keep files, apps and programs (the default), remove all apps and programs, or remove everything. With this option, it's rather difficult to botch a system so badly it must be formatted.

Windows 10 is generally stable and takes care of most maintenance by itself. It monitors user activity and performs maintenance when the PC is idle. So it's good practice to leave the PC on at lunchtime once in a while to allow optimization.

You will get the occasional update that doesn't play well with your system. The most frequent complaint I get is slow performance when some updates mandate the rebuild of libraries. On slow systems this can take half an hour, after that performance goes back to normal.

Back on topic: I loved the analysis on the slow Daz Studio shutdown. It's been present for a long time, but nobody ever cared to look under the hood. Let's hope the dev team can fix it now.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I was leery about Windows 10 too ... and found all kinds of nice advices on the internet to stop it phoning home, like this:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-disable-windows-10-telemetry/

Kerya, who doesn't have a smartphone wink

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited December 2020

Kerya said:

I was leery about Windows 10 too ... and found all kinds of nice advices on the internet to stop it phoning home, like this:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-disable-windows-10-telemetry/

Kerya, who doesn't have a smartphone wink

Ohhh nice! smiley  Clear Instructions for GroupPolicy under Win10Pro to the rescue!  Thanks!

And Saxa doesn't have smartphone either, nor Alexa nor Alexa's "realtives" either laugh Somehow still manage to be very productive. 

@GLE Thanks for letting me know that you can do a refresh.  Hopefuly never have to, but nice knowing option is there!

Starting to think for update management maybe will install a linux distro and use that for web-activities.  Win10 can't update without internet.  laugh  Keep Win10 updates to once a year or somthing.  Means Daz buys will have to manual install, after DL'ing via linux first.  We'll see.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

Back on topic: I loved the analysis on the slow Daz Studio shutdown. It's been present for a long time, but nobody ever cared to look under the hood. Let's hope the dev team can fix it now.

God I hope so I've been sitting here for over 20 minutes now waiting for the dam process to stop but it just keeps jumpng up and down, I don't like killing it but this is ridiculous.

• johndoe_36eb90b0johndoe_36eb90b0 Posts: 235
    edited December 2020

> I find it somewhat funny that people are concerned with Microsoft collecting data through Windows 10, when they have a far more invasive device that does the same in their pockets.

Depends on the manufacturer of phone (Apple is very serious about privacy), and on usage pattern. For example, if you don't use invasiva apps such as Facebook on your phone and do the bare minimum of checking the privacy policy of other apps you install.

> I get that "work stuff goes to the PC, personal stuff goes to the smartphone", but that's an increasingly rare setup.

Why do you think so? Some people have work phones too. Others have personal PCs with personal info on them.

> Why does Microsoft get all the flak?

- Because they are not disclosing exactly what is being collected, how, and when.
     - Because defaults are to collect everything and you have to go out of your way to opt out, with some things being impossible to turn off.
     - Because Windows 10 Pro (or Enterprise) is not a free product sponsored by advertising and data mining like Android for example.
     - Because people do all kind of sensitive work on computers running Windows (medical, engineering, design, etc).

> Your workstation doesn't have GPS, and might not have webcams, microphones, etc.

But your laptop does. A lot of people use laptops, desktops are very rare nowadays and even those who have desktops have a headset and a webcam for one reason or another.

> When you factor in devices like Alexa ad Google Home, whose sole puropose is to listen to all you say, I genuinely don't get why Windows is such a big concern.

Alexa, Google Home, or Siri do not have access to my password database and other personal and private information I keep on my PC.

> Maybe it's for historic reasons?

No. See above.

Post edited by johndoe_36eb90b0 on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

Depends on the manufacturer of phone (Apple is very serious about privacy), and on usage pattern. 

I don't carry my PC around with me everywhere I go, it isn't privy to all of my phone calls or text messages, has no GPS, etc. My phone does all of those things, and Apple engages in forced updating, resetting defaults on said updates, and isn't transparent about everything they are collecting, either.

- Greg

• I don't care if Microsoft collect data, just don't like it slowing dowm my computer doing it.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I don't care if Microsoft collect data, just don't like it slowing dowm my computer doing it.

With you there; I love Microsoft for actually caring.  They've been trying to fix the "oops your network is out because we are downloading an update" for about a year now, based on when my network was out and why.  I just don't understand how come I buy so many GB of stuff from Daz yet still my internet bandwidth is dominated by software downloads; not content, software.  We need dForce software; software which will fit through the tiny cracks left after we have used our internet bandwidth for things we actually want to pay for, Daz, NetFlix, *News.  We want, nay, we demand, squishy software.  Now apple, google, linux, these guys are still hogging my bandwidth (mostly linux, but all the other guys are responsible too.)

Sorry, bandwidth hogs are off topic, but I have limited bandwidth (3/1 Mbps) so I care.  Personal data I don't care about; if I did would I actually put it on my computer?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 2020

johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

> I find it somewhat funny that people are concerned with Microsoft collecting data through Windows 10, when they have a far more invasive device that does the same in their pockets.

Depends on the manufacturer of phone (Apple is very serious about privacy), and on usage pattern. For example, if you don't use invasiva apps such as Facebook on your phone and do the bare minimum of checking the privacy policy of other apps you install.

> I get that "work stuff goes to the PC, personal stuff goes to the smartphone", but that's an increasingly rare setup.

Why do you think so? Some people have work phones too. Others have personal PCs with personal info on them.

> Why does Microsoft get all the flak?

- Because they are not disclosing exactly what is being collected, how, and when.
     - Because defaults are to collect everything and you have to go out of your way to opt out, with some things being impossible to turn off.
     - Because Windows 10 Pro (or Enterprise) is not a free product sponsored by advertising and data mining like Android for example.
     - Because people do all kind of sensitive work on computers running Windows (medical, engineering, design, etc).

> Your workstation doesn't have GPS, and might not have webcams, microphones, etc.

But your laptop does. A lot of people use laptops, desktops are very rare nowadays and even those who have desktops have a headset and a webcam for one reason or another.

> When you factor in devices like Alexa ad Google Home, whose sole puropose is to listen to all you say, I genuinely don't get why Windows is such a big concern.

Alexa, Google Home, or Siri do not have access to my password database and other personal and private information I keep on my PC.

> Maybe it's for historic reasons?

No. See above.

I hate opinions stating what I do. Desktop: Nope, no webcam, headset, microphone, although my laptop gets a lot of video-chat use as I use it for work.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • GLEGLE Posts: 52

- I don't care if Microsoft collect data, just don't like it slowing dowm my computer doing it.

You probably already know this, but since IIRC version 1709, Windows 10 includes settings to manage bandwidth while downloading upgrades: Win10 Settings app -> Updates and security -> Delivery optimization -> Advanced options. If you are on 20H2, you can enforce limits by available bandwidth percentage or Mbps.

If you create a new user profile in Windows 10, you are offered a series of options about privacy before getting to the desktop. More detailed options are available anytime in the Privacy section of the Windows 10 Settings app.

Updates are a necessary evil in the ultra-connected world of today. Disabling them or delaying them indefinitely is not a good practice. Microsoft, as any big IT corp, spends significant budget on development and distribution of updates. The one-time purchase of Windows 10 is not enough to cover these costs for the foreseeable future. Windows 10 has been on the market for 5 years already and Windows 11 is not in Microsoft's roadmap.

Thankfully M$ didn't choose to go for an annual paid subscription to Windows 10 as many other companies did (Adobe?). They didn't for a series of reasons, but the main one is that Windows is a gateway for their Azure cloud services.

Microsoft is under no obligation to deliver an offline operating system. The lifecycle of offline M$ OSes ended with the retirement of Windows 2000. Windows XP was launched with Windows Update, around 2003.

From a performance standpoint, Win10 is capable of running mission critical applications. If you run crucial workloads, you generally want them on officially supported hardware and certified OSes, which for M$ means Windows Server, on a world class server (Dell, HPE, etc).

Before buying Windows 10, I'd recommend taking a look at Windows Server Essentials 2019. It can run on your average workstation (of course not a certified configuration) and doesn't come with apps and cosumer "nonsense". It's a nice half way between personal computing and full blown enterprise WinServ.

For anyone concerned with network security, Windows can be somewhat restricted, but the industry standard requires at least firewalls and segregation of networks. Choose a firewall of your liking and configure it to your taste. Free options are available with some setup effort, like pfSense or OPNsense. This way you'll avoid crippling your Windows installation by disabling stuff because Google said so.

- But your laptop does

At least Windows lets you disable any peripheral in Device Manager (accessible via Windows key + X). Please don't disable your CPU or hard disk...

- Alexa, Google Home, or Siri do not have access to my password database and other personal and private information I keep on my PC

Do you input your passwords in your browser? Unless your browser of choice is Internet Explorer* or Microsoft Edge, you have some other company in your chain of password security. Are you sure they are honest?

Do you use a keyboard that requires a companion app (Razer comes to mind)? That app must filter all your key presses. Are you sure they are not sending your passwords away?

Do you copy and paste your passwords? Any application can monitor the clipboard and read whatever you copied. As you can see, Windows phoning home is just one of many ways to compromise security. That's one reason why Windows Defender alone is usually considered insufficient.

If you choose to entrust any computing system with your data, you must have a procedure in place for when they get stolen or deleted. The procedure can be "who cares?", just be sure to have one and test it from time to time with a small simulaton.

- Apple is very serious about privacy

It's true that Apple has built itself a reputation as a company that cares for your privacy. Its transparency only goes so far, it's still a huge corporation and as such its only reason of existance is to "produce wealth" (amassing money). For the time being, it seems to be able to produce wealth without collecting a lot of data, at least for what we know.

Before I'm marked as a M$ fanboy, I'd like to make it clear that I'm nothing more than an IT professional. I must know a thing or two about their products to survive, and that's all. Maybe we can bring all the Microsoft love & hate to a separate thread? Can someone like Richard Haseltine point us to a suitable location or existing thread?

*(deprecated by Microsoft itself, don't use it, it's bad practice, it's only included in Win10 for backwards compatibility with ancient applications that should no longer be in use)

Happy rendering

• johndoe_36eb90b0johndoe_36eb90b0 Posts: 235
    edited December 2020

If you create a new user profile in Windows 10, you are offered a series of options about privacy before getting to the desktop. More detailed options are available anytime in the Privacy section of the Windows 10 Settings app.

I am well aware of that.

However, I am not sure whether you have any idea how many regular PC users will not even bother to open Settings, let alone change any Privacy related settings there.

There is also a matter of "cloud" search being on by default, "Send My Activity History to Microsoft" on by default, Windows Defender sending suspicious files to Microsoft on by default, Typing Insights on by default, not to mention the never-ending nagging to save all your documents on OneDrive.

Updates are a necessary evil in the ultra-connected world of today. Disabling them or delaying them indefinitely is not a good practice. Microsoft, as any big IT corp, spends significant budget on development and distribution of updates. The one-time purchase of Windows 10 is not enough to cover these costs for the foreseeable future. Windows 10 has been on the market for 5 years already and Windows 11 is not in Microsoft's roadmap.

So you are telling me that Microsoft which takes $200+ per OS license (not to mention Enterprise and O365 subscriptions) cannot afford to provide all those poorly tested OS updates for free, and instead has to subsidize them by further monetizing the customer throgh showing ads and selling their personal data?

How come Apple can afford to give their OS for free and provide free updates for literally years (I am running Big Sur on my Mac Mini 2014 model) and doesn't have to resort to such tactics while providing better privacy controls, better user experience, and better software quality?

Microsoft is under no obligation to deliver an offline operating system.

Nobody ever asked for that, not sure why you are bringing that up. Also, it is one thing to provide an OS which can update itself, but totally different thing to provide an OS which displays unsolicited ads in Windows Explorer and Settings app, installs unwanted software on its own (Candy Crush Saga, etc), comes with bundled apps that cannot be removed, and which exfiltrates a ton of your personal data for monetizing.

Purpose of OS is to be an invisible thin layer between your hardware and the apps you are using, not this "in your face" flashy thing that interrupts your workflow with ads, notifications, and poorly worded full screen prompts such as "You have updates" (no I don't because I am not a machine).

Do you input your passwords in your browser? Unless your browser of choice is Internet Explorer* or Microsoft Edge, you have some other company in your chain of password security. Are you sure they are honest?

I do input passwords when I need to login to a website such as this forum, but I am giving it only its own password, not access to a file with all my passwords.

Do you use a keyboard that requires a companion app (Razer comes to mind)?

No, but even if I did, that doesn't justify Windows sending keystrokes to Microsoft by default.

Do you copy and paste your passwords?

No, I use open-source password manager, but even if I did, that doesn't justify Microsoft storing my clipboard contents in the cloud by default.

As you can see, Windows phoning home is just one of many ways to compromise security. 

So, your argument is that because there are worse things than Windows phoning home, Windows phoning home should be tolerated?

Before I'm marked as a M$ fanboy...

More like Microsoft apologist.

I'd like to make it clear that I'm nothing more than an IT professional

And by "IT professional" you mean "Microsoft's hostage"? I should know, because I am in the same boat at work, what with all those E3, O365, and Azure subs. That's exactly why I am complaining about all this. You won't believe how much money enterprises spend on licensing and they are still not fully spared of all the crap I mentioned above.

Maybe we can bring all the Microsoft love & hate to a separate thread?

I agree, sorry everyone for the offtopic. It could be nice if mods can split posts to another thread.

Post edited by johndoe_36eb90b0 on
  • Please remember that this is a thread on Daz Studio, not Windows.

• cain-xcain-x Posts: 159

Does the latest beta resolve the transparancy issues in Filament?

I see a quick blurb of it on the change log (under: 4.14.1.34)

• Fixed a type casting issue on the OpacityStrength control in Filament

If so, this would get Filament closer to being usable with hair products that heavily use opacity maps.

What's the recommended Nvidia drivers for this, specifically if using the 3000 series?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,844
    edited January 2021

cannot find the Filament thread but it is a DAZ studio issue and I am using the beta

so

Filament apparently is limited in how much of a filename it reads for the environment dome

if I use any with the same first word it doesn't replace it

none of Dimension theory's domes with the same prefix as the default ruins will show up as it defaults back to that

or it just has an issue with his strange substances files,they are HDR format

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

nicstt said:

What's the recommended Nvidia drivers for this, specifically if using the 3000 series?

Fixmypcmike said:

nicstt said:

Cheers.

I had better already, and as it was working I presumed i was gtg, but was still curious.

I seem to recall we were recommended to use a specific type, is that still the case with Game Ready or Studio?

nicstt said:

I seem to recall we were recommended to use a specific type, is that still the case with Game Ready or Studio?

NVidia recomments the Studio drivers and Daz (in the troubleshooting file) recommends running the driver in TCC (not WDDM) mode if there is no monitor attached however the latter prevents the card being used for dForce.  So far as I can see the drivers with an identical version number are identical; the difference is that NVidia normally release the Studio driver after the Game Ready driver, I suspect so that the GR driver has been tested in the field.  When there is a really serious bug in the released driver it seems that Studio and GR get released simultaneously.

• @nicstt

460.89 Studio Driver.

Studio Driver release notes even mention DAZ Studio from time to time as one of the apps they get tested with.

Game Ready driver will work too, but unless you are playing the latest games (such as Cyberpunk 2077), Studio Driver will work well enough for that too.

ty all

• jbowler said:

nicstt said:

NVidia recomments the Studio drivers and Daz (in the troubleshooting file) recommends running the driver in TCC (not WDDM) mode if there is no monitor attached however the latter prevents the card being used for dForce.  So far as I can see the drivers with an identical version number are identical; the difference is that NVidia normally release the Studio driver after the Game Ready driver, I suspect so that the GR driver has been tested in the field.  When there is a really serious bug in the released driver it seems that Studio and GR get released simultaneously.

TCC is not an option for most consumer cards

Richard Haseltine said:

jbowler said:

nicstt said:

TCC is not an option for most consumer cards

indeed, and that includes the 3090, which Nvidia has touted as a Titan replacement!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,844

oh BTW on the issue I am only having because I am using Filament (and presumably HDR files others are not using) the very same scene the HDR I added shows in iray, if I save the scene using Filament adds the ruins one back even after using purge or clear undo stack, iray still shows the correct one.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

oh BTW on the issue I am only having because I am using Filament (and presumably HDR files others are not using) the very same scene the HDR I added shows in iray, if I save the scene using Filament adds the ruins one back even after using purge or clear undo stack, iray still shows the correct one.

It is working for me however there is a LONG delay before the update when using 16k HDRIs from hdrihaven.  The change to the dome seems to be happening in the background; I can load a new HDRI then go back to the filament render and pan the view a few times, maybe 10s, before the new dome displays.  This is on an system with 64GByte of DRAM and a fast processor (a couple of years old now).

What's happening in the parameters tab?  I.e. select the "Environment Options" node in the scene, go to Parameters and however over the picture of the dome in the "Environment Map" setting?  I see the new HDRI appear there when I load it (from Browse... on that setting), then after 10s or so the Filament view updates.  It's comparable to the time to show the Environment Parameters pane the first time; I assume DAZ is loading the HDRI into memory in both cases.

It is true that the HDRI scaling issue has been fixed in the beta; in the original versions (and I think, still, the general release but I haven't checked) the Filament display would show the HDRI at completely the wrong scale, as though it had calculated the angle to display from the focal length incorrectly.